Re: RIF-CS v1.3 in ReDBox v1.4

Greg Pendlebury

Mar 8, 2012, 7:38:41 PM3/8/12
to redbox-repo
Hey Everyone,

Stupidly, I forgot to mention (or note in the release notes) that v1.4 has an optional (bare bones) RIF-CS v1.3 implementation for use if you'd like.

After I received a query about this I had to track down where I (thought) I'd noted it, but couldn't find anywhere except the SVN commit logs... I know you all read those right? They are exciting stuff... http://code.google.com/p/redbox-mint/source/detail?spec=svn766&r=766

Anyway, apologies for this. I'm about to amend the release notes to add a reference to this post, but just to refresh people's mind what I'm even talking about, this post from pre-release may help: http://groups.google.com/group/redbox-repo/browse_thread/thread/2b1dd916bb53a1b4

"1. (Done) RIF-CS v1.3: There is a reference sample for basic v1.3 compliance in place for users to refer to. It can be swapped in place with the v1.2 template if desired. More v1.3 work will come later (see the other threads on this list), moving from more then just 'compliance' in the next version of ReDBox (1.5)."

But how do you actually do this? In the normal templates folder (/home/templates/) you'll find two RIF-CS templates:
  1. rif.vm : this is the RIF-CS v1.2 template, used by default.
  2. rif13.vm : this is the RIF-CS v1.3 template. It does get rendered (so your objects get two datastreams) but neither ANDS nor VITAL get/see this datastream, since they only care about 'rif'.
So to move to the v1.3 template just delete (or rename) rif.vm and rename rif13.vm to be in its place.

This will be a non-issue in the next ReDBox release (v1.5) since trunk has already removed RIF-CS v1.2 support. It now ships with just RIF-CS v1.3... and has moved towards more then just bare-bones compliance as well.

Ta,
Greg

On 30 November 2011 12:45, Greg Pendlebury <greg.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heyo,

So I managed to get back to taking a closer look at the new version of RIF-CS this morning, as per the change notes:
and some of the more detailed changes in the doco:
My own take on things is below, but I'm happy to hear feedback. Only bolded items are things I'm thinging we'll need to make a decision on:
  1. (v1.4 work) The new rights node will replace our current treatment of this area (using description). There is one possible issue, in that v1.3 only allows a single licence element, whereas ReDBox allows for possibly more than one.
  2. Publisher data is now allowed, but ReDBox is not involved in this. It would be a basic local customisation if implementers wanted to added a form field.
  3. Birth and death dates for people... I suspect most institutions won't want to give this data out, but it would be a similarly simple customisation.
  4. Start and finish dates for projects seems useful, at least for local Activities, since ARCS/NHMRC is already in ANDS.
  5. Start and finish dates for org units are less useful... but if you want them, and have the data source, it's another basic customisation.
  6. Vocab change: There is a new party type 'administrativePosition'... not sure why they didn't put something kind of significant like this into the summary notes. But anyway, the cleanest way of making use of this would be a new feed from Mint on roles that implementers could add, such as a list of Faculty, Library and Office of Research contact points etc. Without putting too much thought into, my initial tendency would be to create a new data source 'Parties_Roles', just to separate how these would publish, but to merge them into the 'Parties_People' feed to ReDBox, allow data entry staff to opt to use a role, anywhere a person can currently be used.
  7. Vocab change: I don't really get what the 'superior' and 'subordinate' name parts are for parties... so perhaps someone has a better idea on whether we need to care about them. Currently we have related Party objects using, 'isMemberOf', 'isPartOf', 'hasPart', 'hasMember', but these apply to 'relatedObject' node, not a name part.
  8. Vocab change: 'relatedInfo' now supports two new additional types of 'reuseInformation' and 'dataQualityInformation'. I'm of two minds how the forms could handle it (or if we need to). Currently we have 'Related Publications' and 'Related Websites' feeding into the 'relatedInfo' node. We could either add these two additional fields as well, or perhaps merge them all into a single 'Related Information' field and offer a drop-down with the four types.
Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Currently, only point 1 above is on the table as work to be down, so please also indicate if you feel any of the new options are important enough to warrant attention.

Ta,
Greg