reCaptcha on mobiles

Bruno

Oct 16, 2009, 5:57:05 PM10/16/09
to reCAPTCHA
Is there anyway to run reCaptcha on mobiles without Javascript? If any
specifics are required, I'm testing on IE mobile on windows mobile
6.1 specifically. It doesn't seem to support even iframes for the non-
javascript version of recaptcha. Any tips or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

Joe_e

Oct 19, 2009, 3:03:06 PM10/19/09
to reCAPTCHA
I thought IE mobile on WinMo 6.1 did support JavaScript (maybe check
your settings), if not, then:
- No JavaScript support
- No IFRAMES support
- No support for embedding remote pages using OBJECT

Er so I can really think of any way to get around that.

Better would be to detect if it's a mobile browser (or IE mobile, I'm
99% sure Opera Mobile does to some extent) and serve up a simpler
CAPTCHA using something like the GD library

Joe_e

Oct 19, 2009, 3:23:47 PM10/19/09
to reCAPTCHA
I suggest detecting if it's a mobile browser, and then serving up a
simpler CAPTCHA using something like the GD library (Image quality
might not be as good on some mobile browsers as well).
Alternatively ask a simply question, such as what is this picture of ?
and show a random animal image or something (probably need 10+ in
total)
Or a simple maths problem (but probably not such a good option)

Bruno

Oct 19, 2009, 4:16:05 PM10/19/09
to reCAPTCHA
You're right: it does support JS (although it fails so often I thought
it didn't). And it's supposed to support iframes too, but still
recaptcha does not work. I can't figure why, but I'm downloading an
emulator to see if it will help to find what the problem is. If I find
anything else, I'll post here.

Opera Mobile works fine with recaptcha and everything else. It seems
that IE mobile would work better if I could force JS to be disabled on
the page. Perhaps I could detect the browser and show a no-JS page.