Have spammers cracked reCAPTCHA?

Modern Jess

Jan 6, 2011, 11:51:25 AM1/6/11
to reCAPTCHA
I've been using reCAPTCHA successfully on my forum for well over a
year. It has reduced spam down to a trickle of hand-registered
accounts.

As of January 4th (Pacific time) however, I have started getting
overrun with spam. All of it from automated bots. Clearly, they're
getting through the reCAPTCHA defenses, but I've seen very little buzz
about it in the blogosphere or twitter.

Has anyone else noticed a sharp uptick in spam getting past reCAPTCHA?

Oldboy

Jan 6, 2011, 6:29:00 PM1/6/11
to reCAPTCHA
We've been using it on a forum since about July, and it reduced our
spam to zero up until the 4th. And now we've started getting spam
again, which leads me to believe some method of circumvention has been
discovered.

ForumOwner

Jan 7, 2011, 9:27:19 AM1/7/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I also confirm that in the last 2 days we have been under bot attack. Out of approximately 50 registrations only 2 were legit. I then manually checked them against these two sites

http://www.stopforumspam.com/
http://botscout.com/

It certainly appears ReCaptcha is beaten. Bots mainly register on forums to get a home page link in the profile, they are not posting but I have either deleted or banned them. They like to use gmail also for their email address.

tom wible

Jan 7, 2011, 10:09:37 AM1/7/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com, Sheldon Robinson, Jeff King, FJC, Steve Elias, Phil Nau
ruh-roh...my recaptchas haven't been hit...perhaps there are click-
monkeys involved:-(

forhire

Jan 7, 2011, 11:35:16 AM1/7/11
to reCAPTCHA
I too have seen a huge spike over the past few days also. I killed at
least 50 accounts yesterday before I inserted a quick check against
stopforumspam.com into my registration page and that brought it under
control. Whether these are bots or humans are tough to say. They
almost appear like humans because they are slow registrations... of
course looking a few of the ip addresses yesterday, one had been
listed 800 times in one day which suggests a bot. I thought reCaptcha
used ip throttling? Something is broken :(

AnnoyedInTexas

Jan 8, 2011, 4:58:56 PM1/8/11
to reCAPTCHA
I picked up a paper plus some source code for a theoretical exploit
against reCaptcha back in early October that was supposed to improve
the reliability of breaking the captcha up to nearly 40%. If it
works, that's all they'd need since the rest is automated.

Yep, the skiddies are back again. :( StopForumSpam has been catching
2 to 10 of them per day this week, VERY rare that any would make it
past reCaptcha before that. From the volume of attacks, there's zero
possibility that these are human-guided.

Darren gret

Jan 8, 2011, 6:52:46 PM1/8/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Having the same problem on my forum. over 100 spam visits. can you guys post what forum software you are using? I'm using IPB.

ForumOwner

Jan 8, 2011, 9:03:13 PM1/8/11
to reCAPTCHA
Using Vbulletin 3.8.6

Andreas M

Jan 9, 2011, 5:29:19 PM1/9/11
to reCAPTCHA
Having the same problem ... no forums but self-built Web site. No spam
until a few days...

Tom Green

Jan 10, 2011, 10:51:22 AM1/10/11
to reCAPTCHA
I have also noticed in increase in spam registrations, I've added a
"question and answer" form to my forum, hopefully that will hold the
bots at bay while the Google guys work on a fix. Up until now, I've
never experienced spam while using ReCaptcha.

zod

Jan 10, 2011, 11:22:56 AM1/10/11
to reCAPTCHA
Same thing here, reCaptcha stopped all spam accounts off my forum and
in the last few days malicious registration has gone through the roof.

Florian Doersch

Jan 10, 2011, 4:03:38 PM1/10/11
to reCAPTCHA
same thing here,

no fake registrations, but guest-spam in the last few days.

bharat patel

Jan 12, 2011, 11:16:49 PM1/12/11
to reCAPTCHA

even i have seen huge spams.
can anybody tell me how to add question and answers to the vbulletin
forum.

Steve Smith

Jan 13, 2011, 5:15:18 AM1/13/11
to reCAPTCHA
To anyone using godaddy.com, there is a way to modify the gdform.php
scrpt using several lines of command, and a little customization using
the preg_match command, I have seen a lot of spam through my site just
suddenly drop to almost no emails or spam registrations. It also helps
that my forum is moderated by a live person, and I invoked mandatory
email validation for account creation. For those using forums, invoke
this, and your spam registration should drop by a lot, you'll only
have a bunch of unvalidated accounts, and if your able to auto expire
those, you'll have nothing to do more. I know email validation may
seem a little severe, but it is required to lower spam.

If you want to see my script I use on my site http://www.zedaxis.net/,
email me. I'll send you the script, all you have to do is modify it.

mahendra pratap singh

Jan 13, 2011, 1:02:02 PM1/13/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
my website....
http://telinci-informatica.tk

Rgds,
Mahendra Pratap Singh
GGITS, Jabalpur
+91-9713756875

Naum

Jan 13, 2011, 6:33:54 PM1/13/11
to reCAPTCHA
Yes.

At some point last week, new spam registrations are beating the
reCAPTCHA.

Klaws

Jan 14, 2011, 6:59:59 AM1/14/11
to reCAPTCHA
Confirmed, my web site is getting hit by spam as well.

Steve Smith

Jan 15, 2011, 12:36:47 AM1/15/11
to reCAPTCHA
I've just finished editing my whole site. I reduced the 5 forms to one
unified communications form, and I completely blocked out the spam so
far using my new spam filter method. I'll be adding some new
parametres as precautions, but I've gotten rid of the spam, despite
the minor short fall of Recaptcha. It was always a possibility that
someone cracks the code. Again, if any of you use Godaddy.com as a
host, and have a linux account, I am willing to share the method of
getting rid of spam, just message me. All you need to do is customize
the script.

On Jan 13, 5:15 am, Steve Smith <zedaxis1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To anyone using godaddy.com, there is a way to modify the gdform.php
> scrpt using several lines of command, and a little customization using
> the preg_match command, I have seen a lot of spam through my site just
> suddenly drop to almost no emails or spam registrations. It also helps
> that my forum is moderated by a live person, and I invoked mandatory
> email validation for account creation. For those using forums, invoke
> this, and your spam registration should drop by a lot, you'll only
> have a bunch of unvalidated accounts, and if your able to auto expire
> those, you'll have nothing to do more. I know email validation may
> seem a little severe, but it is required to lower spam.
>
> If you want to see my script I use on my sitehttp://www.zedaxis.net/,
> email me. I'll send you the script, all you have to do is modify it.
>
> On Jan 12, 11:16 pm, bharat patel <bharat.bon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > even i have seen huge spams.
> > can anybody tell me how to add question and answers to the vbulletin
> > forum.- Hide quoted text -

Mat

Jan 16, 2011, 8:33:10 AM1/16/11
to reCAPTCHA
As a user of reCAPTCHA for many years and i must say it has always
worked a treat. But i agree that i think reCAPTCHA has been cracked.
For around the past two weeks i have noticed spam getting through and
the reCAPTCHA seems to be useless at the moment. I never had spam
using reCAPTCHA hence why i used it but now it seems to be not making
much of a difference. I myself as a developer has had to develop and
implement new anti-spam features into my website as reCAPTCHA seems to
be doing nothing to stop spam. I might aswell remove reCAPTCHA all
together and just use my own methods as it's worthless having a user
having to type in a captcha when it simply is no longer keeping the
spam bots at bay, just extra typing for a genuine user.

I hope Google can work on reCAPTCHA to make it one of the best again
as at the moment it seems useless. A search on Google for "reCAPTCHA
Cracked" brings many recent interesting articles as many are reporting
the same thing. Come on Google you got the money to get the best
developers out there to help improve reCAPTCHA further and make it the
best again.

Herry

Jan 16, 2011, 8:54:30 AM1/16/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I am also busy thinking about an alternative for ReCaptcha.
Also because very often ReCaptcha just isn't working, due to reasons
beyond my knowledge.

Currently I am trying to develop a database with all carnations of
spamwords, which I check against the user-message that arrive. This
maybe a tedious task, but hopefully it works.

Another thing I am thinking about is just plain and simple moderation.
It's not my first choice, but if that's what it takes, than maybe I'll
have to.

Or maybe a combination: only messages with hyperlinks in it, must be
moderated.

Orgsit...@aol.com

Jan 16, 2011, 10:42:16 AM1/16/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
We as users / Developers need to think and offer suggestions to Google / reCAPTCHA vs. JUST point out the problems...  I know I have several times.

Sincerely,

-Scott
OrgSites Support

Orgsit...@aol.com

Jan 16, 2011, 10:48:09 AM1/16/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if the spammers are using screen readers / scrapers, but I am considering using 2 or 3 different captcha's.  Then randomly choosing which one will appear on the form.

I may also just move my reCaptcha around on the form by a few pixels in any direction to hopefully "hurt" the readers / scrapers.

Sincerely,

-Scott
OrgSites Support

airdrummer

Jan 16, 2011, 11:50:45 AM1/16/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com, Orgsit...@aol.com
On Jan 16, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Orgsit...@aol.com wrote:

I may also just move my reCaptcha around on the form by a few pixels in any

 direction to hopefully "hurt" the readers / scrapers.

simple translation is the simplest to overcome;-}

Modern Jess

Jan 16, 2011, 9:59:23 PM1/16/11
to reCAPTCHA
So just a quick update. I'm still seeing a massive number of spam
attempts get past the reCAPTCHA test on my phpbb forum. It's as if the
reCAPTCHA test isn't there at all.

I'm also fairly certain that the bots are all driven by xrumer.
Several of the spam attempts had some default information in some of
the fields indicating xrumer. So the spammers are dumb, too. But we
knew that.

I've had to resort to other means to detect bogus account
registrations. It turns out that xrumer, despite all of its supposed
technology (and apparent ability to break reCAPTCHA) actually gets
tripped up on stupid, stupid things that are fairly easy to detect
automatically. So the developers of xrumer are pretty dumb too. This
thought actually makes me happy. :)

As a last line of defense, we're comparing IP addresses to those in
the stopforumspam database automatically for each registration
attempt. We're now stopping close to 100% of the automated spam
account registrations, and hand-killing the remaining manual
registrations (which all seem to come from Pakistan). We're also
reporting all spambot captures back to stopforumspam.

Just in the last week, we've reported almost 500 spammy registration
attempts to stopforumspam. Five hundred! Had I not automated the
detection process, my moderators would have been pretty pissed at me
right about now.

P JH

Jan 17, 2011, 3:31:08 AM1/17/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Modern Jess <moder...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've had to resort to other means

To every one complaining about this - you do realise that you can't expect just one technology to stop spammers - reCAPTCHA should be *one* of the things you use to stop spammers, not the *only* thing.

--
PJH

Kaustav Das Modak

Jan 17, 2011, 6:56:26 AM1/17/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I agree with P JH. One of my websites, which gets a considerable amount of visit is being hit by spam recently. My plan to tackle this is to implement multiple captchas for the registration and feedback forms, along with reCaptcha. However, I am not ready to let go of reCaptcha because it has been very useful and easy to integrate. Even then, it cannot stop people who manually and delibrately spread spam around.
--
Kaustav Das Modak
Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~kaustav-dasmodak

Kill software piracy. Switch to free and open source software.

Modern Jess

Jan 17, 2011, 9:20:58 AM1/17/11
to reCAPTCHA
On Jan 16, 7:42 am, Orgsitesi...@aol.com wrote:
> We as users / Developers need to think and offer suggestions to Google /
> reCAPTCHA vs. JUST point out the problems...  I know I have several  times.

You think Google is actually listening? That's... optimistic.

tom wible

Jan 17, 2011, 10:22:24 AM1/17/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 16, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Modern Jess wrote:

> xrumer

another gift from microSerfdum;-)

i've gotten 1 blog comment referring to xrumerbaza.ru, but 3 to
forums.bleachexile.com, all caught by askimet:-)

Nick Wilcox

Jan 18, 2011, 12:06:05 PM1/18/11
to reCAPTCHA
PJH - your SPAM defense is only as good as your weakest link.

Perhaps instead of ignoring the issue, Google should respond with some
feedback ... it doesn't have to be a answer or a even fix, but just a
simple reply would help in this regard.

Customers should be alerted if this product/system has been
compromised.

Orgsit...@aol.com

Jan 18, 2011, 12:13:48 PM1/18/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone, by chance, looked for an email contact at Google to see if we can reach a support person / team for reCAPTCHA?  A very simple, nice and professional email could do ALOT to getting our requests reviewed and replied to?!

Sincerely,

-Scott
OrgSites Support

P JH

Jan 18, 2011, 12:19:02 PM1/18/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nick Wilcox <wil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PJH - your SPAM defense is only as good as your weakest link.

With all due respect - rubbish.

The "weakest link" analogy only applies if you're running such things
in parallel and accepting *any* "yes" answer rather than requiring all
of them to say "yes." Other things you can use in addition to
reCAPTCHA (not all may be applicable to particular applications, and
some not worth the effort required to implement them):

1) Akismet
2) IP blacklists
3) New user moderation
4) Peer moderation
5) Token authentication to verify account activation
6) Bayesian filtering
7) Markovian discrimination

> Perhaps instead of ignoring the issue, Google should respond with some
> feedback ... it doesn't have to be a answer or a even fix, but just a
> simple reply would help in this regard.

Perhaps, instead of railing on a user list when it's obvious there's
no-one answering from the supplier, those with concerns could email
support directly[1] instead of incessantly moaning on here that their
one no-cost barrier to spam isn't working as effectively as it could,
and defending their decision to use only one method of stopping
spammers.

> Customers should be alerted if this product/system has been
> compromised.

[1] It's not as if the contact address is deliberately hidden away:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/contact

> On Jan 17, 3:31 am, P JH <pauljherr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Modern Jess <modernve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've had to resort to other means
>>
>> To every one complaining about this - you do realise that you can't expect
>> just one technology to stop spammers - reCAPTCHA should be *one* of the
>> things you use to stop spammers, not the *only* thing.
>>
>> --
>> PJH
>

> --

PJH

craiggers

Jan 18, 2011, 12:26:34 PM1/18/11
to reCAPTCHA
That's great. Why don't you share some of the others with us.

Craig

P JH

Jan 18, 2011, 12:38:10 PM1/18/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I did. 7 minutes before you sent this to the list.

tom wible

Jan 18, 2011, 1:54:55 PM1/18/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Nick Wilcox wrote:

> Customers should be alerted if this product/system has been

u get what u pay 4;-)

Modern Jess

Jan 19, 2011, 5:59:56 PM1/19/11
to reCAPTCHA
> instead of incessantly moaning on here that their
> one no-cost barrier to spam isn't working as effectively as it could,
> and defending their decision to use only one method of stopping
> spammers.

I initially posted to determine if it was just me, since there was
very little recent mention of reCAPTCHA being broken anywhere I
looked. I wanted to make mention of it since nobody else was.

I *did* take additional countermeasures as soon as reCAPTCHA fell.
They're working fairly well at the moment, although the IP blacklist
portion of my countermeasures are ensnaring some folks who are unlucky
enough to be served by an ISP that uses a small bank of IP proxies
(like AOL). So be it.

But moaning? No. Discussing the current situation with other people
who may or may not be having the same problem, yes. I don't expect
Google to read this or respond. My post was directed at others who
might be having the same problem.

You sir are an ass of the first order. Unfortunately the internet is
littered with asses just like yourself who style themselves as
internet know-it-alls and who sit all day behind keyboards making
grand pronouncements from on-high. With all due respect (which is to
say *none*) you can go run up a big fat weed.

P JH

Jan 19, 2011, 6:30:03 PM1/19/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Modern Jess <moder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> instead of incessantly moaning on here that their
>> one no-cost barrier to spam isn't working as effectively as it could,
>> and defending their decision to use only one method of stopping
>> spammers.
>
> I initially posted to determine if it was just me,

That quote wasn't directed at your initial post.

--
PJH

Modern Jess

Jan 19, 2011, 7:55:25 PM1/19/11
to reCAPTCHA
On Jan 19, 3:30 pm, P JH <pauljherr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That  quote wasn't directed at your initial post.

My response was most assuredly directed at yours, though.

Michael

Jan 20, 2011, 6:29:28 PM1/20/11
to reCAPTCHA
And your reply(ies) surely make you an ass of at least the same order
as those you called out. lol

Isn't this fun?

Excuse me, while I get back to being a self-styled internet guru.

Herry

Jan 20, 2011, 8:02:40 PM1/20/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Trying to get passed the bitchfight

A few days ago, I described some problems I seem to have with ReCaptcha.
These problems have not been solved yet. In summary:

On my guestbook (http://www.yawp.nl/guestbook) I get a could not open
socket & connection timed out error whenever I fill in some info.
I tried a couple of possible solutions I found searching in Google.
Funny enough everything goes smoothly on my develop server. So I tried
to get different keys for the develop server and the live server, but it
made no difference. So I came to the conclusion it must be the live
server's config.

But now I found that spammers somehow seemed to get passed, and filled
my guestbook. This makes me wonder. Apparently it seems they can
actually surpass the entire ReCaptcha protection. This brings about a
whole new aspect...

Adrian Godong

Jan 20, 2011, 9:32:38 PM1/20/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I didn't get the e-mail (probably GMail is overloaded by spam) but P
JH has replied your problem.

This problem is usually caused by firewall or server configuration,
not reCAPTCHA.

> --

Adrian Godong
adrian...@gmail.com

Michael

Jan 21, 2011, 4:57:22 PM1/21/11
to reCAPTCHA
Can't add much more than adrian did above. It is a firewall
configuration issue that is causing your socket error. You say your
problem have not been solved yet, however, that very problem has been
solved in this group over and over again (which is why it gets so damn
old). Search the group for "socket error".

You don't need separate keys for a localhost vs. production
implementation. I'm guessing your local machine is on a different
network than your production machine. You need to contact the hosting
company of your production machine and ask them to open some ports
(search for "socket error" to find out more).

As for the spam getting through, quite frankly, I am not having that
problem with my implementations, so I'm not sure why so many are
claiming the issue.

This bitch is out...back to being a self-styled internet guru.

mon...@gmx.net

Jan 21, 2011, 5:18:18 PM1/21/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
i have the same problem with phpbb for some time so i think its definitely cracked.

changed to phpbbs own gd captcha now and spam is stopped.

maybe your site was just not visited by bots yet...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
André Bauer

Adrian Godong

Jan 21, 2011, 5:34:08 PM1/21/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
That's probably true and I'm quite sure the team is on it (even though
there's no announcement here). I saw an update on recaptcha images
lately (instead of full black text, only black outline is visible).

Refresh multiple times to see it:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

--
Adrian Godong
adrian...@gmail.com

mon...@gmx.net

Jan 21, 2011, 5:39:19 PM1/21/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
svn does not show any activity since its cracked :-(

http://code.google.com/p/recaptcha/source/list

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
André Bauer

Adrian Godong

Jan 21, 2011, 6:12:15 PM1/21/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
You're looking at the wrong SVN.

(This is not reCAPTCHA, this is reCAPTCHA *plugins*)

mon...@gmx.net

Jan 22, 2011, 5:52:17 AM1/22/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
whats the right link?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
André Bauer

Adrian Godong

Jan 22, 2011, 11:58:36 AM1/22/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com, reca...@googlegroups.com
I don't know. reCAPTCHA is not open source. The plugins are but not the service.

---
Adrian Godong

Adam Toughrai

Jan 22, 2011, 10:42:38 PM1/22/11
to reCAPTCHA
Stop spam, read books! I guess they read well their books on how to
crack and/or bypass recaptcha.

Herry

Jan 22, 2011, 10:47:43 PM1/22/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I wish they'd come into the open and meet my dr Martens

ste james

Jan 23, 2011, 6:18:47 AM1/23/11
to reCAPTCHA

its not been cracked as such.

warez site (and other such site) will be signing up to your forum when
they come accross a captcha, they store the image, wait for some1 to
download from their site and display the catcha for ur site.

this allows them to fill captchas without manually signing up!

try adding a second authentication box, such as a random small maths
puzzle?

hope this helps.

On Jan 6, 5:51 pm, Modern Jess <modernve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using reCAPTCHA successfully on my forum for well over a
> year. It has reduced spam down to a trickle of hand-registered
> accounts.
>
> As of January 4th (Pacific time) however, I have started getting
> overrun with spam. All of it from automated bots. Clearly, they're
> getting through the reCAPTCHA defenses, but I've seen very little buzz
> about it in the blogosphere or twitter.
>
> Has anyone else noticed a sharp uptick in spam getting past reCAPTCHA?

zod

Jan 23, 2011, 1:40:13 PM1/23/11
to reCAPTCHA
Yep it looks like the images have been changed. I think Google has
updated reCaptcha. We'll see if it helps.

On Jan 21, 5:34 pm, Adrian Godong <adrian.god...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's probably true and I'm quite sure the team is on it (even though
> there's no announcement here). I saw an update on recaptcha images
> lately (instead of full black text, only black outline is visible).
>
> Refresh multiple times to see it:http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore
>

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 14:18, mono...@gmx.net <mono...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > i have the same problem with phpbb for some time so i think its definitely
> > cracked.
>
> > changed to phpbbs own gd captcha now and spam is stopped.
>
> > maybe your site was just not visited by bots yet...
>
> > --
> > Mit freundlichen Grüssen
> > André Bauer
>
> > 2011/1/21 Michael <formi...@gmail.com>
> adrian.god...@gmail.com

MikeN

Jan 25, 2011, 6:15:09 AM1/25/11
to reCAPTCHA
It didn't help.

Today I got another 3 topics from Guest which got through recaptcha.
Advertisement(spam) topics were all in russian language.

Cheers!
-- Mike

JerryH

Jan 27, 2011, 8:13:31 PM1/27/11
to reCAPTCHA
I was wondering why there was sometimes an hour or two between spams
on my web site's guest book. If below is the case, adding a timeout
to reCAPTCHA, as is used on some other CAPTCHAs, should go a long way
to solving the problem. Force the bots to respond within a minute or
less and they won't have time for this method to work.

Meanwhile, I've implemented some stopgap filters in my guest book code
that have blocked the spam, so far, but the nature of my site and its
guest book allow me to use gross measures that wouldn't be appropriate
for most others.

Adrian Godong

Jan 27, 2011, 9:29:39 PM1/27/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
This solution would only work if you assume that one image comes out
only once. Otherwise, spammers can collect enough images, put them
through their own servers, when a same image comes out again, they can
use their own words.

Seems that this is targeting the wrong users (e.g. slow typing user).

Of course, as long as reCAPTCHA can maintain enough variance, this can
be implemented.

> --

Adrian Godong
adrian...@gmail.com

RAVINDRA KAWDE

Jan 28, 2011, 12:22:33 AM1/28/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
xdfrtyery54w7

zod

Jan 31, 2011, 1:57:03 PM1/31/11
to reCAPTCHA
For those of you who have Joomla websites the following extension has
completely captured any SPAM accounts that that happen to be getting
thru reCaptcha...

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-access/3924

Between it, reCaptcha, and some sort of answer-a-question challenge
SPAM account creation should drop down to almost nothing....

RAVINDRA KAWDE

Feb 1, 2011, 3:11:34 AM2/1/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
bvgk,khg hghm, tymmng

johnths2

Aug 29, 2012, 5:37:43 PM8/29/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com

johnths2

Aug 29, 2012, 5:41:53 PM8/29/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com

reCaptcha is fully cracket i got lots of spam mails.

My forum is a PhpBB3 forum.
What to do about this?

Adrian Godwin

Aug 29, 2012, 5:47:39 PM8/29/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we were using recaptcha for registration on a wiki. About 3 weeks
ago we went from occasional spammer account creations to several a
night. We stuck it for about a week and then dropped recaptcha for a
simple comprehension question. Immediately, the spam levels dropped to
below the original level.

recaptcha doesn't work any more. It's easier for spambots than for humans.

-adrian
> --
> "reCAPTCHA" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/recaptcha/-/VNpg0DN6fmEJ.

Jerry Hollombe

Aug 29, 2012, 7:11:29 PM8/29/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com

On 8/29/2012 2:37 PM, johnths2 wrote:

> Op donderdag 6 januari 2011 17:51:25 UTC+1 schreef Modern Jess het volgende:

> As of January 4th (Pacific time) however, I have started getting
> overrun with spam. All of it from automated bots. Clearly, they're
> getting through the reCAPTCHA defenses, but I've seen very little buzz
> about it in the blogosphere or twitter.
>
> Has anyone else noticed a sharp uptick in spam getting past reCAPTCHA?

I haven't had any change. reCAPTCHA continues to block hundreds of spam
messages on my site daily. Spam posted by humans that reCAPTCHA can't
block is caught by other spam filters.

By definition, no CAPTCHA can block spam posted by humans. You have to
use additional filters to reject those cases.

--
Jerry Hollombe
Webmaster, http://www.thegarret.info/

SFMarcopolo

Aug 31, 2012, 1:04:17 AM8/31/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Don't bother with cracking it, just join me in a class action suit against reCAPTUA.  Contact inte...@sbcglobal.net  Thanks, Mark

On Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:51:25 AM UTC-8, Modern Jess wrote:
I've been using reCAPTCHA successfully on my forum for well over a
year. It has reduced spam down to a trickle of hand-registered
accounts.

Message has been deleted

Eberhard Knell

Mar 2, 2013, 4:23:18 AM3/2/13
to reca...@googlegroups.com
reCaptcha has definately beaten by SPAM. I have a guestbook on my website using it and I have up to 10 SPAMS a day. So forget reCaptcha.

Jed Shaddick

Mar 2, 2013, 6:59:20 AM3/2/13
to reca...@googlegroups.com

arun vm

Sep 20, 2013, 1:11:42 PM9/20/13
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Clearley recaptcha is cracked my site is under attack

Cherie Ann Day

Oct 5, 2013, 9:50:53 AM10/5/13
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Firstly I am a complete newbie. I was using sitedelux through bizland hosting and had someone install a recaptcha for me on a forms page created to go back to my ARP auto-responder http://www.daydesigns.ca/newsletter_registration.php 2 years ago. Yes, it sucks, and its ugly plus I have no way to edit it. I have been getting pretty much only spam signing up, very little real people.

I just went to the link provided, to try the "new" recaptcha and out of 3 random times of typing the text incorrectly it only caught it once as incorrect.

There are a lot of suggestions on here, that are hard to decipher as a newbie. I am planning on building 2 new sites, one in WordPress, and one in Wix. Also deciding if I want to pay the extra $150 to my autoresponder, because the program I bought 3 yrs back, with free unlimited upgrades, is no longer supported.

What I am asking is does anyone know what Wix offers in terms of form building and security?

Also does anyone know if there are some other free plugins that could easily be installed for WordPress for form building and security?

Thanks for your time.

Cherie

Jefrey Sobreira

Aug 3, 2014, 1:25:28 PM8/3/14
to reca...@googlegroups.com

Well... I'm sorry for posting on an old topic, but... Google started putting house numbers on their reCaptcha, probly to help Google Maps/Street View in locating complete addresses. And I started getting spam again, on my "vitabook" running on "Joomla". It's quite interesting, when I try to post something without writing anything in captcha (or filling it up with wrong data), it doesn't post... Are they using an advanced OCR?

Julio Nuñez

Dec 21, 2014, 12:21:09 AM12/21/14
to reca...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone have a solution?
I'm still receiving spam users.
How can we contact google develorpers to fix that?
Thanks