Confirmed.. Ridgid 13inch planer at Home Depot

Swingman

Jan 8, 2002, 3:35:15 PM1/8/02
Well ... persistent DOES pay off. I went back to HD and adopted a chapter
from my wife's demeanor when dealing with stores, a smile and very polite
refusal take "no" for an answer ... to say that this is not my normal MO, is
an understatement.

To make a long story short, ended up with the TP1300LS, with the stand and
the dust chute, instead of the TP1300, for $221.40 plus tax, a full 207.60
savings off the 429.00 list price for the combo LS.

It was a long battle, involved what seemed like half the store personnel,
and p*ssed off half the country in line behind me. The kicker was that the
guy who got it off the top shelf with the fork lift admitted that he told me
"yes", when I asked him point blank whether it was the same one on
clearance, and that it was 40% off.

If it hadn't been for that admission I might _still_ be standing in line.

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...
> Or south of the Mason-Dixon. Hell, I couldn't even buy one at the full
> price.

Brian Thomson

Jan 8, 2002, 4:36:20 PM1/8/02
Don't know how you guys are getting that great deal. I thought
perhaps it only applied in some areas of the US (I am in Vancouver,
B.C.). Then I saw an ad on TV re yellow tag and 40% off. I
immediately rushed to my local HD and enquired about the Ridgid
products. (No yellow tags). I was told that they knew nothing about
40% off and further that the only sales were prices as marked and were
limited to discontinued or Xmas items. So congratulations - you suck
<g>. We lose again.

Brian

"Swingman" <nos...@screwthespammers.com> wrote in message

Swingman

Jan 8, 2002, 5:30:09 PM1/8/02
I do that believe the part number (UPC) plays a big part in the drama as to
whether you can find one at the sale price or not.

When I tried asking about the same thing last week at the same stores, all I
got was blank stares. I figured if I gave them the UPC number, they would
immediately "see" in the computer (that receptacle of truth in this day and
age) that the TP1300 is indeed a storewide clearance item at 40% off and
perhaps gain a slight psychological advantage right off the bat ("the other
store sent me here saying you had them at this price AND your cashier
upfront just confirmed that a few minutes ago, etc.). Thanks to the guys
here who posted the necessary information (Thank You!), here is what I did
different today at the same stores:

Printed out UPC 648846001302, along with the TP1300 model number, and took
the piece of paper to the first, open cashier in the first HD I came to,
handed it to her and asked her to look it up, tell me if they had it in
stock, and what the price was. The answer was "sales price is 221.40, but we
show none in stock", I asked if they would look up which stores in the area
show them in stock (the cashier can't to do this, but will call someone who
can). Armed with that information, I then hit each store in return,
repeating the same procedure until I found a HD that showed 3 TP1300's and 5
TP1300LS in stock ... it turned out that all they really had was the LS. The
rest was basically a battle of wills and a bit of luck. I even offered to
buy the LS at 40% off at one point, but by this time all they wanted to do
was to get rid of me.

Let's face it, the TP1300 is the SAME one that is in the TP1300LS box and,
in a reasonable world, it would, and should, also be on sale. I don't give a
damn about the stand and dust bag and would have cheerfully left them on the
sidewalk outside.

Good luck.

"Brian Thomson" <NOSPAMb...@telus.net> wrote in message

LJancila

Jan 10, 2002, 7:39:16 PM1/10/02
>Don't know how you guys are getting that great deal. I thought
>perhaps it only applied in some areas of the US (I am in Vancouver,
>B.C.). Then I saw an ad on TV re yellow tag and 40% off. I
>immediately rushed to my local HD and enquired about the Ridgid
>products. (No yellow tags). I was told that they knew nothing about
>40% off and further that the only sales were prices as marked and were
>limited to discontinued or Xmas items. So congratulations - you suck

Not so fast!!!!<g>
I been to a few HD's in the Chicago area and I found 2 planers at one store
but no yellow tags. No tags at all. I asked the sales clerk about a price and
quoted me $397. Forget it I thought. and walked out the store.

Leo

Mark Hopkins

Jan 10, 2002, 11:10:13 PM1/10/02
Make them look it up. SKU # 352-472 I did and while I had them on the
phone, I secured it with a credit card. The nice lady told me she had it
behind the counter and gave me a number to give when I came to pick it up so
they could get the paperwork in order. When I got there this morning, it was
gone. I was ticked. Came home and thought about it all day.....Then I read a
message from Justin in Houston here in this newsgroup who said he whined a
little and got one of the new ones for the clearance price. *BINGO!* I
thought and got on the phone and asked for the manager at the HD store. Told
her about my "buddy" in Houston who got a newer model under the same
circumstances and asked her to do the same thing....

To make a long story short, they are delivering a new model to me for the
sale price tomorrow morning, and no charge for the delivery!

Thanks Justin for the idea! I'll send you some cheese to go with that whine!

"LJancila" <ljan...@aol.com> wrote in message

smugtwins

Jan 10, 2002, 11:54:42 PM1/10/02
Mark Hopkins wrote:

> Thanks Justin for the idea! I'll send you some cheese to go with that whine!

Hey Mark,

glad to hear that it worked for you. Never hurts to remind people about
customer service and particularly if you reserved it with a credit card,
then that's a pretty binding agreement.

All's well that ends well, and I guess we're pretty lucky.

Cheers,

Justin.

--
To reply, read the address and do as it says.

Matt Gradwohl

Jan 11, 2002, 12:31:48 AM1/11/02
OK EVERYONE call their local Home Depot tomorrow and lie.

Let's see how many tools they can deliver in one day.

"smugtwins" <smug...@removethisbit.jkath.com> wrote in message

Todd Stock

Jan 11, 2002, 10:24:19 AM1/11/02
Folks:

Friend of mine went to Fairfax HD and got the demo, which had the
appropriate SKU. 50% off resulted in $198, but the second set of blade,
usually tucked neatly under the outfeed table, was missing in action.

The key is to find one of the planers packaged as a stand-alone - not
part of a bundled kit. The best bet is the demo machine.

When the cashier checks the price, it should come up at 40% off.

FYI - local HD also had Senco 2.5" 15 gauge bright finishing nails on
the 40% off cart (works in my PC DA 15G nailer). The box actually
contained four 3000 nail boxes, so the $44.95 - 40% price gave me $26.97
for 12000 nails (I go through a bunch of nails on home redo projects) -
not a bad price.

Todd