Veritas or Lie-Nielsen?

GarageWoodworks

May 6, 2010, 9:44:05 PM5/6/10
I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?
sku=60_5) OR

Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/
wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942)

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

GarageWoodworks

May 6, 2010, 9:46:33 PM5/6/10
On May 6, 9:44 pm, GarageWoodworks <bgre...@garagewoodworks.com>
wrote:

Sorry about the link wrap problem.

Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536

Steve Turner

May 6, 2010, 11:23:38 PM5/6/10

As supremely cool as that Veritas plane is (I don't own one, but I've tried it
out at a woodworking show), I have one nagging problem with it: it's too
friggin' heavy! Normally, "heavy" is a desirable attribute in a hand plane,
but I have a lot of block planes, and I use them a LOT, but I just don't like
them if they're too heavy. My very favorite block plane is a good old vintage
Stanley 60-1/2; it's a dream to use and it's probably the lightest of the
bunch. The Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 is of course a modern day (and much improved)
replica of the Stanley, but I'd wager it's quite a bit heavier than the
Stanley. I've only just held (and never tried) the Lie-Nielsen so I don't know
how heavy it feels in actual USE compared to the Veritas, but I'd be surprised
if it didn't feel lighter.

Regarding the Stanley 60-1/2, I think it's the *size* and form-factor that
draws me to it perhaps as much as its light weight; I just love how that plane
feels! Because of that same form-factor (and in spite of my concerns about
their weight), I think you've picked two very good candidates for
consideration. As much as I love the design and engineering effort that went
into creating the Veritas, I think my personal preference would be to stick
with the more traditional design of the Lie-Nielsen.

If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might
try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you
DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Ed Pawlowski

May 6, 2010, 11:26:41 PM5/6/10

"GarageWoodworks" <bgr...@garagewoodworks.com> wrote in message

> On May 6, 9:44 pm, GarageWoodworks <bgre...@garagewoodworks.com>
> wrote:
>> I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
>> want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:
>>
>> Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?
>
> Sorry about the link wrap problem.
>
> Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
> Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536

I think you'd be very happy with either, but that style of the Veritas would
be the deal maker for me. Do they take trade ins? I like my Veritas low
angle, but if I peeked at that catalog page the day I get my Christmas
bonus, I'd probably click the "buy now" button.

Zz Yzx

May 7, 2010, 12:41:46 AM5/7/10
>Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

I've got the Lie-Nielson and can say it's a very fine tool.

No experience with the Veritas.

-Zz

Larry Jaques

May 7, 2010, 12:45:51 AM5/7/10
On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:23:38 -0500, Steve Turner
<bbqb...@swtacobell.net.invalid> wrote the following:

>On 5/6/2010 8:46 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
>> On May 6, 9:44 pm, GarageWoodworks<bgre...@garagewoodworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
>>> want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:
>>>
>>> Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?
>>> sku=60_5) OR
>>>
>>> Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/
>>> wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942)
>>>
>>> Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?
>>
>> Sorry about the link wrap problem.
>>
>> Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
>> Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536
>
>As supremely cool as that Veritas plane is (I don't own one, but I've tried it
>out at a woodworking show), I have one nagging problem with it: it's too
>friggin' heavy! Normally, "heavy" is a desirable attribute in a hand plane,
>but I have a lot of block planes, and I use them a LOT, but I just don't like
>them if they're too heavy. My very favorite block plane is a good old vintage
>Stanley 60-1/2; it's a dream to use and it's probably the lightest of the
>bunch.

Amen, Bruddah! I keep mine in the truck, and it sports a beefy ol'
Ron Hock iron, too. A rusty old nail-finder of a #4 Satanley is in
the truck, too, for larger rough work.

>If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might
>try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you
>DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.

I second that. Multitudinally useful.

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up

Zz Yzx

May 7, 2010, 9:41:56 AM5/7/10
>Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Of course, there's always this one too:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/+CT-17+Dual+Angle+Block+Plane

Jeffo

May 9, 2010, 10:43:27 AM5/9/10
On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:23:38 -0500, Steve Turner
<bbqb...@swtacobell.net.invalid> wrote:

I couldn't have said it better. As I was reading the original post I
was thinking I still prefer my old Millers Falls 56? (60 1/2 style
not sure of the model #) to my Lie-Nielsen. I hate to say this after
spending the money, but the Millers Falls is a bit lighter and much
nicer in the hand, especially if I am using it for a while. If I had
to pick between the two... less is more.

HTH,
Jeffo