Quieting Shop Vac ala American Woodworker Plans

Dennis Vogel@patmedia.net

May 15, 2003, 11:38:57 AM5/15/03
I went to the American Woodworker plans for a
muffler box to quiet a shop vac. I can't make out the
dimensions and construction tips in the drawing.
Enlarging doesn't work as the resolution just isn't
there.

Does anyone have a link to a page with better
resolution? Failing that, are back issues of the
magazine available?

Dennis Vogel

TDUP

May 15, 2003, 3:52:49 PM5/15/03
http://www.americanwoodworker.com/200004/

"Dennis Vo...@patmedia.net" <denni...@patmedia.net> wrote in message

Dennis Vogel@patmedia.net

May 15, 2003, 4:21:51 PM5/15/03
Argh! That's the page I went to before. The
text on this page is too small to read. I need
a larger version (i.e., higher resolution).

Dennis Vogel

"TDUP" <tdup2...@chartermi.net> wrote in message

C Wood

May 15, 2003, 8:06:51 PM5/15/03

: Argh! That's the page I went to before. The

: text on this page is too small to read. I need
: a larger version (i.e., higher resolution).

Honestly, what's so hard to read about the small picture? Build a box
that fits your shop vac, and pop 2 holes it. Don't forget the door and
somekind of latch. Fill the inside with carpet. They probably didn't
give dimensions because shop vacs vary so greatly in size.

Charles.

Don

May 15, 2003, 8:12:55 PM5/15/03
Which dimensions are you talking about, the ones on the plywood sheet
layout?
The sides were 22"x30".
Couldn't make out the dims on the top and bottom, but they would dependent
upon the thickness of the material you are using.
This looks one of those projects that you have to wing it a little.

Joe Nation

May 15, 2003, 9:18:24 PM5/15/03
I agree with the reply.

The best way to quite a shop vac it to put it into a box. I built a 30"
cubical box with a door and latch on one side, put the cube on casters,
lined the inside of the cube with carpet scraps, drilled a hole for the
vaccum hose to exit the box and drilled 4 smaller holes (about 1.5" in
diameter) along the back bottom edge of the box for ventilation and to allow
the vaccums exhaust streem to exit the box. The reduction in noise from the
vaccum is remarkable. I do not have any sound level measurements but, I can
talk or listen to the radio at normal sound levels with the vaccum running.
This solution works!!! I often forget to turn the vaccum off after I have
been using it for a long period of time at my workbench because it runs so
quitely. It does not degrade the peformance of the shop vaccum or shorten
its expected operating life.

The cube being on casters gives me another table top surface to place other
tools on. The cube is larger than the size of many shop vaccums. When the
current vaccum that I have dies( its an old Sears), I should not have much
trouble replaceing it with a new one even if the new ones change shape
somewhat. Any shop vaccum will do for a replacement as long as it will fit
easily through the door. Additionally, I have purchased a long vaccum hose
and this miminizes the amount of movement I need to do with the cubical box
when I am using the vaccum to clean up the shop floor.

I used 3'4" birch laminated MDF plywood to construct the cube out of. I
think you would want to use 3/4" material since the mass of the material
will assist in reducing the noise levels of the vaccum

"C Wood" <cdotrd...@verizondotnet.removeme> wrote in message

john carlson

May 15, 2003, 9:58:46 PM5/15/03
Seems like the dimensions would have to be adjusted to fit your
particular vac, wouldn't they? Why not just take the general idea and
size it to fit?

Dennis Vogel@patmedia.net

May 16, 2003, 10:58:27 AM5/16/03
"C Wood" <cdotrd...@verizondotnet.removeme> wrote in message

Well, they did give dimensions but it wasn't just dimensions.
There was some text that explained certain construction
details that couldn't be read either. I realize the dimensions
might vary for a specific vac. I just want to see the original.

Dennis Vogel

Dennis Vogel@patmedia.net

May 16, 2003, 11:00:02 AM5/16/03
ALL the dimensions. Sides, top bottom, plate, battens
(I think that's what it says). I know I have to wing it.

I just want to see the original.

Dennis Vogel

"Don" <one-if-...@concord.com> wrote in message

Dennis Vogel@patmedia.net

May 16, 2003, 11:03:17 AM5/16/03
You're the 4th or 5th person who's told me the
same thing. I just want to see the original for
how it went together. I know I'll have to adjust
the thing for my vac. But I wanted to see the
construction details so I get the best box I can
build. They published the plans for a reason
rather than just saying "build a cube that fits
your vac", right? So why can't people understand
why I want to see the plans? I give up. I'll
just "wing it" as someone said.

Dennis Vogel

"john carlson" <jc...@optonlineNoSpam.net> wrote in message

Don

May 16, 2003, 12:22:43 PM5/16/03
Atta boy, I knew ya could do it.
Of course you could email AW and ask them to email you a larger/clearer
version of the pics.

"Dennis Vo...@patmedia.net" <denni...@patmedia.net> wrote in message

j.b. miller

May 17, 2003, 7:52:29 AM5/17/03
I looked at several 'plans' and ended up using a 24" wide lower kitchen
cabinet.
It was a lot quicker to 'build',free, and the 'right size' !
Added carpet to ALL inside surfaces.
Added a flat top for the BOSS sander to sit on.
Easy access to he vac through the front doors,3" hole in the back for hose
to come out.
No 'overheating' problems can be on all day long and still be able to talk
to 'guests' while working.

hth
jay

Mark

May 20, 2003, 5:26:12 PM5/20/03
I built one too. Have some photos of it on my site (link below).
Anyone who has built one knows how much difference it makes. I use to
hesitate using the vac because I hated the noise. My focus was to make
it light so I could carry it into the house or out to the car to vac
it out too. So I built mine by creating a box frame with 3/4 x 1
stringers and covered it with 1/4 birch plywood. I went on a step
further and added a auto switch from sears so I can hook it up to a
power tool for dust collection without messing with turning on the vac
first. And wired it to a standard 3way switch so it operates like a
regular vac (on/off) or remotly controlled from a power tool. Take a
look...
Mark

http://members.cox.net/mconger/Timothy/Shop/ShopProjects/ShopVacBox/ShopVacBox.htm