SLIPIT Evaluation reponse to Dr. Tunkel

mrsl...@bestweb.net

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

We think this response to Dr. Tunkel should answer all questions.

Dear Dr. Tunkel,

First of all let me thank you for posting your experience. If I may, I'd
like to address some of the issues mentioned in your message. I'll have to
confess that our knowledge of Kitty-Speed is limited. No first hand
knowledge of it. One of our very particular distributors became involved
with SLIPIT Silicone-Free because he needed a replacement for Kitty-Speed.
After testing the product he felt that our product was comparable and now
sells SLIPIT Silicone-Free at woodworking shows around the country. He did
say that Kitty Speed came in a small, chewing tabacco like tin that
retailed for $6 and a 8oz can that retailed for $11 or so. That would make
it more than double the price of SLIPIT.

We believe, based on tests and customer experience, that SLIPIT
Silicone-Free will perform as advertised. You noted your satisfaction with
it in most applications, with the exception of two things: The length of
time it seems to last for you and the amount of rust inhibition on your
table tops, not on most other surfaces.

With respect to the amount of time it lasts, that seems to vary from user
to user and is often dependent on the amount of use a treated surface gets.
Hopefully somewhere on your can it should say "Reapply as needed". We have
customers who swear by SLIPIT because, they say, it lasts far longer than
products they've used in the past.

You mentioned that SLIPIT can be applied very quickly and keeping a light
coating of the product on a surface will protect tools that would rust
otherwise. We've been told by those in the know that Cast Iron is one of
the hardest surfaces out there to keep rust free. And as others have said
here at the ng, moisture will cause rust on most table tops eventually. But
SLIPIT will perform, as you pointed out, with things that get a fresh coat
every time. For sixty years customers have told us that it will even
perform if surfaces are wiped every so often. We've heard of an occasional
slight reaction to the salt content of an individuals perspiration. Our
advice is to wipe whatever the surface in question is, after you're done
using it. Use the same rag used to apply SLIPIT and quickly wipe things
down. Customers point out repeatedly that they feel this is a small price
to pay given the value the product offers.

The uses shown today for this version have all been discovered by users,
not by SLIPIT. We developed this version of SLIPIT a little over a year ago
based on input from individuals in all parts of the woodworking industry.
It was an area that we "stumbled on to", if you will. Those sources said
that other products on the market caused asphyxiation, skin problems,
smelled horrible, contained highly toxic and flammable propellants, were a
hazardous waste when disposed of and seemed very similar, although often
marketed for very different applications. These were some of the things we
were told. We thought we could offer a product based on the same thing
we've always stood by: the less harmful the better for everybody. Even our
aerosol contains a non-flammable, CFC free propellant.

With respect to your questions SLIPIT is made from a proprietary,
non-toxic, non-flammable paraffinic wax distillate (saying it this way
keeps our lawyers very happy.....). You could say it's wax based. My guess
would be you knew that. With respect to your wood glue question, I honestly
don't know. I do know that incidental contact (which we'll define as wood
coming into contact with a surface treated with SLIPIT, i.e. a blade or
table top) won't effect the finishing process in any way. That would lead
me to believe that incidental contact wouldn't have any effect on the
strength of wood glue. However, I have not tried this myself nor have I
been made aware of anyone else's experience regarding this. Let us make
this clear.... If SLIPIT is to be used as a wood lubricant or to prevent
swelling (meaning applied directly to wood surfaces) we still recommend
applying any stain, finish or glue first. Is there another user with some
experience with this issue? Please let us know.

In closing SLIPIT genuinely appreciates ALL the comments, both positive and
negative. The bottom line is that regardless of the product, we can't be
everything to everybody. Some will swear by it, some won't. We like to
think we have Sixty Years of business history that shows we deliver as
promised. SLIPIT Silicone-Free should be of use to most, at a fair price,
and should last you for years.

Respectfully,

Matt Ritter
SLIPIT Industries, Inc.
800-303-0034
mrsl...@bestweb.net

P.S. What the heck does IMHO mean?

----------
> From: Robert W. Sosenko <usim...@worldnet.att.net>
> To: Mr Slipit <mrsl...@bestweb.net>
> Subject: Re: Defective Slipit Bottle - Questions for Slipit Corp.
> Date: Friday, March 13, 1998 10:17 AM
>
> Keith,
>
> I'm hoping that Mr. Ritter at Slipit will jump in here and offer an
> explanation. But, we have heard several comments *against* it's rust
> inhibitor capabilities.
>
> Since the new product was introduced (I think) just last year, is what
> you're using - the *new* product or their *standard lubricant product ?
>
> We know it's a great lubricant, we've heard that from some of the
> evaluations, and my own but my interest from the start was precisely this
> point - rust prevention/inhibitor.
>
> I don't think anyone with the free samples is ready to comment about that
> attribute yet but it does appear that there are some other users that do
> have some history with the product.
>
> Question is, is it the *new* stuff that we're evaluating now ? Mr.
Ritter
> - please comment.
>
> (I'm also cc'ing this to Mr. Ritter at Slipit to insure he see's it.)
>
> Bob S.
>

> >(snip)
> > I therefore was intrigued by Slip-It's promise of low odor and
> > non-toxicity but was not impressed with it's rust preventative
> > properties when I used it on a new Jet Jointer and a Starrett combo
> > square.

Peter Shull

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

mrsl...@bestweb.net wrote in article <6ebvfq$gc4$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>snip

> I'll have to confess that our knowledge of Kitty-Speed is limited.
>

> Kitty Speed came in a small, chewing tabacco like tin that retailed >for $6 and a 8oz can that retailed for $11 or so.

Kity Speed, IMO, is a good product. It is a German-made, graphite-impregnated paste wax that also, I think, contained some form of solvent. Unfortunately, Kity Speed is no longer being imported into the U.S. According to the importer, Farris Machinery of Blue Springs, MO, sales were simply insufficient.