Recommendations for 12V drill for SWMBO ??

Roy

Jan 6, 2007, 9:43:03 PM1/6/07
The 12v Firestorm SWMBO has used over the last five years or so has gone TU, well the batteries and
charger have. Drill is still ok.

She doesn't use a drill a great deal, but 3-4 times a month would not be unusual. Sometimes
drilling a few holes, sometime driving a few screws. She's a petite thing, and an 18v is too heavy
and cumbersome for her. She also has small hands, so something with a thinner grip would probably
fit her better.

I wanted to get a replacement with a decent charger and batteries. I'm thinking about the 12v
Panasonic or perhaps the DeWalt. $90-130 range. A flashlight feature would be a plus.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
Roy

Tim Daneliuk

Jan 6, 2007, 10:06:50 PM1/6/07

At this low level/occasional level of use, I'd be inclined to go with a
"disposable" cordless drill from Harbor Freight or one of the Black & Deckers
that go on sale regularly at Home Depot. I got one of the latter this summer
for something like $36 including a canvas carry bag. Is it a DeWalt? No,
but for someone who only uses them now and then, it's probably fine and
at this price, you can afford to toss them out every few years.

Personally, I find both DeWalt and Makita make superb cordless drills ... but you
pay for it.

Tim Daneliuk tun...@tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Don Fearn

Jan 6, 2007, 10:15:21 PM1/6/07
I think it was Roy <rp7...@houston.rr.com> who stated:

I don't know if it's still available, but I like the Makita 12V drill
and flashlight set that my sweetie got for me at Menard's one
Christmas a few years ago. It was in the just under a hundred bux
range, or so she claims . . . .

--
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty

Edwin Pawlowski

Jan 6, 2007, 10:33:24 PM1/6/07

"Roy" <rp7...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> I wanted to get a replacement with a decent charger and batteries. I'm
> thinking about the 12v
> Panasonic or perhaps the DeWalt. $90-130 range. A flashlight feature
> would be a plus.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

One reason I chose the Panasonic 15.6 is the size. Smaller than most 14.4V
drills. Perhaps you should take her to the store to see what fits. I left
the house with the intention of buying a Bosch, but after handling the
display, the Panasonic was the one for me.

Andy

Jan 6, 2007, 11:36:32 PM1/6/07
> > I wanted to get a replacement with a decent charger and batteries. I'm
> > thinking about the 12v
> > Panasonic or perhaps the DeWalt. $90-130 range. A flashlight feature
> > would be a plus.

Either of those would be a great drill. Makita would be another
option. Or even (dare I say it) the Craftsman Professional 12V model,
on sale now for $70. (I have the 16.8v version, and it's adequate,
though after 3 years the batts don't hold a charge as long as they used
to, and I've been drooling over one of the NiMH or Li-Ion jobs...)
For a model where weight and size are an issue, and that would face
occasional use, I'd consider something with Lithium Ion batteries,
which theoretically do better after long periods of storage. Maybe the
Bosch PS20? For drilling, you'd need a set of bits with the 1/4" hex
shanks, but I've heard good things about that mini-drill.
Good luck,
Andy

Mark Jerde

Jan 7, 2007, 7:58:10 AM1/7/07

> I wanted to get a replacement with a decent charger and batteries. I'm
> thinking about the 12v
> Panasonic or perhaps the DeWalt. $90-130 range. A flashlight feature
> would be a plus.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

This was mentioned in another thread. Wear the battery on your belt. Only
$40 too.

http://www.barbarak.com/item.php?id=76#top

-- Mark

Snag

Jan 7, 2007, 8:26:58 AM1/7/07

The DeWalt 12v guns are very good . I've been using the same one in a
commercial cabinet shop for several years . Just be sure to totally
discharge the batteries before you put them on charge . They last a lot
longer that way .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
none to one to reply

Wilson

Jan 7, 2007, 9:59:59 AM1/7/07
What size holes? What material?
I have a 9.6V that's eight years old and just losing the batteries!
I think one of the little 6 or 9.6 drills would be fine.
I have a neat little Ryobi, in a case with screwdrivers and wrenches that
was a Lowes special for about $25!
Take her to lunchand have a glass of wine, then to Lowes and let her handle
a few.
You'll be popular.
Take the rest of the afternoon off and go home.
Wilson
"Andy" <aenew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

lwas...@fellspt.charm.net

Jan 7, 2007, 10:07:33 AM1/7/07
In article <yy6oh.49841$3v6....@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
Snag <snag...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
<...snipped...>

>The DeWalt 12v guns are very good . I've been using the same one in a
>commercial cabinet shop for several years . Just be sure to totally
>discharge the batteries before you put them on charge . They last a lot
>longer that way .
>
>--
According to the tool and battery manufacturers, totally discharging a
nicad is one of the worst things you can do WRT longevity of the
battery. If you have a quality tool with a "smart" charger, the best
place to leave the battery when not in use is ON the charger. If you
have a "dumb" charger, i.e. one that does not automatically shut off,
follow the manufacturer's directions.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwas...@charm.net

Tim Daneliuk

Jan 7, 2007, 2:57:36 PM1/7/07
lwas...@fellspt.charm.net wrote:
> In article <yy6oh.49841$3v6....@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
> Snag <snag...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> <...snipped...>
>> The DeWalt 12v guns are very good . I've been using the same one in a
>> commercial cabinet shop for several years . Just be sure to totally
>> discharge the batteries before you put them on charge . They last a lot
>> longer that way .
>>
>> --
> According to the tool and battery manufacturers, totally discharging a
> nicad is one of the worst things you can do WRT longevity of the
> battery. If you have a quality tool with a "smart" charger, the best
> place to leave the battery when not in use is ON the charger. If you
> have a "dumb" charger, i.e. one that does not automatically shut off,
> follow the manufacturer's directions.

Also, FWIW, if your batteries are *not* NiCd but Nickle Metal Hydride or
Lithium Ion (I dunno if any of the cordless tools use these
technologies, but many other consumer electronics do) you do NOT want to
completely discharge them. NiMH and LiIon batteries do not benefit from
deep cycle charge/discharge and it may actually reduce their usable life
... or so I have read.

r payne

Jan 7, 2007, 9:19:55 PM1/7/07
I haven't seen anyone talk about hitachi. I know a couple of ladies that like that paticular brand in
drills. The drills only see occasional use and appear to hold up well.

Roy

Jan 8, 2007, 8:35:48 PM1/8/07
Thanks, folks, for the input. I think I'll take the advice here and take her down to the store on
Saturday and let her try them out herself.

Regards,
Roy

Peter Bogiatzidis

Jan 9, 2007, 10:47:41 AM1/9/07
Roy,

FWIW, take a look at http://www.barbarak.com/powertools_item.php?id=76#top

I have no idea if these are any good or not. I just happened to stumble
across the Barbara K line of tools which are, supposedly, designed
specifically for women. No affiliation etc., etc.

Hope this helps. If so, report back to the group.

Peter.

"Roy" <rp7...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Doug Payne

Jan 9, 2007, 12:05:27 PM1/9/07
On 09/01/2007 10:47 AM, Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

A cordless drill with a cord. What will they think of next? :-)

Puckdropper

Jan 10, 2007, 12:39:21 AM1/10/07
Doug Payne <dwp...@ist.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in

A battery pack that goes on your waist?