Hardwood sources in the Washington DC area

Chris Dubea

Sep 25, 2007, 10:17:12 AM9/25/07

Greetings all,

I'm a recent resident of the area around DC fondly known as Suburban
Virginia. We moved from the suburbs of New Orleans in June.

Can anyone provide names of resources for hardwood within say 50 miles
of DC? I live on the west side of town, Ashburn actually, so sources
toward West Virginia are okay as well.

Thanks a lot.

marc rosen

Sep 25, 2007, 10:33:21 AM9/25/07
Hey Chris,
Are you aware of Woodfinder? I'm up north of Baltimore but I thought
this may be helpful to you.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Marc

Chris Dubea

Sep 25, 2007, 3:21:10 PM9/25/07

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:33:21 -0700, marc rosen <duck...@qis.net>
wrote:

No I am not. This is very cool

Thanks a lot

Jeff J

Sep 25, 2007, 5:49:57 PM9/25/07

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011595.php

This guy has very good prices and selection. Location may not be great
for you from VA, but he's a tenth of a mile for me. :)

Highland Pairos

Sep 25, 2007, 5:55:49 PM9/25/07
Dale lumber in Leesburg (Little experience with them other then talking to
the owner. Seems nice enough, I may go see him next time I am shopping.
McDaniel's Hardwood in Kearneysville Wv. I have bought quite a bit from
them. They are very nice, very knowledgeable and very helpful.

SteveP.

"Chris Dubea" <cdu...@movingpart.com> wrote in message

Chris Dubea

Sep 25, 2007, 6:42:13 PM9/25/07

Thanks to all who responded. I'll check them out.

joelj...@aol.com

Sep 25, 2007, 7:59:04 PM9/25/07
> I'm a recent resident of the area around DC fondly known as Suburban Virginia. ...

> Can anyone provide names of resources for hardwood within say 50 miles of DC?

For starters ---

Northland Forest Products
9300 Litho Lane
Manassas VA 20110

703-393-7500
___________________

Vienna Hardwoods
241 Mill Street NE
Vienna VA 22180

703-255-9663
Toll Free: 1-800-571-9663
______________________

Woodcraft Supply
Concord Shopping Center
6123 Backlick Road
Springfield VA 22150
703-912-6727

and

Woodcraft Supply
Leesburg Plaza
512 E. Market
Leesburg VA 20176
703-737-7880

There's also Dunlap out near Dulles. Sorry, I don't have their address
handy, but they specialize in fantastically figured wood.

Joel

MB

Sep 25, 2007, 11:45:58 PM9/25/07

http://www.freestatetimbers.com/

I've bought from these two guys. Lots of wood. They have jointer,
planer etc there so you can go home with surfaced wood. Big stock of
all kinds of lumber. plus burls, slabs and plywood.

This is also baltimore, but worth a drive if you ask me...

Mitch

Dave Plumpe

Sep 26, 2007, 7:55:58 AM9/26/07
There's Colonial Hardwoods in the Springfield area.
http://www.colonialhardwoods.com/
I used to buy from them before I left the area 10 years ago.
-Dave
--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com
email: last...@mindspring.com

Chris Dubea

Sep 27, 2007, 12:50:34 PM9/27/07

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:55:58 -0400, "Dave Plumpe"
<last...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>There's Colonial Hardwoods in the Springfield area.
>http://www.colonialhardwoods.com/
> I used to buy from them before I left the area 10 years ago.
>-Dave

Superb,

Thanks to all

max...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2007, 5:42:14 PM9/27/07

I have good luck with Northland Forest Products. They have a big
selection and multiple thicknesses of the species of wood that they
carry. Some of the other places have limited selections and their
prices seem higher, sometimes considerably so.

Sep 28, 2007, 11:07:52 AM9/28/07
Make an effort to get to Hicksville Planing Mill, approximately 10 miles
west of Hagerstown, MD, off of Highway 70:

Hicksville Planing Mill
14464 Hicksville Road
Clear Spring, MD 21722
301-842-3474

The mill is run by a Mennonite group and the prices for a large variety of
hard and soft woods would more than offset the cost of the drive out there.

Chris Dubea

Oct 9, 2007, 11:05:39 AM10/9/07

Will do,

Thanks again to all who responded!