Storage shed questions

brianlanning

Mar 15, 2006, 9:23:45 AM3/15/06
This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve
some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.

I have not one, not two, but ten bicycles in my garage/shop. In
addition, I have a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas cans, propane tanks,
snow-related doo-dads, and a lot of other crud I'd like to get out of
there to free up more shop space and keep the little ones from
habitually parking their bicycles in exactly the worst locations every
time.

The obvious solution is a back yard storage shed. The ideal
arrangement would be something extremely large, but there are a number
of caveats.

We're renting our house at the moment. For a variety of reasons, we
really like the current arrangement of not owning the house and would
like to stay there for years to come. We have zero faith in our
landlord's ability to continue to make mortgage payments though. And
we know he wants us to buy the house a year from now at a ridiculous
price. So there's a good chance that we'll have to move in a year.

Money isn't really a problem. If we knew we would be staying there for
the next five years or more, I would have no problem investing $5k in
an out building. We don't really need a huge building that $5k would
get, but would use the space if we had it. For now, a small 4x8 shed
would probably be adequate.

So I need to be able to take it with me when/if we move. This means
that I would need to be able to get the shed onto, say, a 6x12 open air
uhaul trailer without too much trouble. Or, I would need to be able to
disassemble it into pieces I can throw on a trailer.

The really easy arrangement would be to use an actual trailer and just
park it out there. But that's way too trailer-park for the
neighborhood. And the association says that the out building needs to
be painted to match the house.

So can anyone suggest a house-looking trailer with removable tongue and
wheels that can be set up in the back yard to be a storage shed,
painted to match the house...

or

Can anyone suggest a disassemble-able metal/vinyl shed that I can paint
to match the house...

or

Can anyone suggest a wood building, or maybe plans for a building, with
walls that bolt together with lag bolts so I can knock it down and
throw the walls on a uhaul trailer...

or

I know some of those playground set companies will move your playground
set when you move. Maybe someone offers the same thing for a larger
storage shed?

or

some other creative solution.

I thought about buying a flat bed trailer, then building a building on
it to look like a small house, then removing the wheels and installing
some sort of skirt around it. That's a big project though. And since
I currently have more money than time, I'd rather just buy something.
oh, I'm in the chicago area if that matters.

brian

Lee Michaels

Mar 15, 2006, 9:53:49 AM3/15/06

"brianlanning" <brianl...@gmail.com> wrote

> I thought about buying a flat bed trailer, then building a building on
> it to look like a small house, then removing the wheels and installing
> some sort of skirt around it. That's a big project though. And since
> I currently have more money than time, I'd rather just buy something.
> oh, I'm in the chicago area if that matters.

Years ago, I did some research for a group who wanted to set up some
espresso stands. The did exactly what you described above. The even had a
skirt that they took on and off each day to make it look less "trailer". It
wasn't cheap though. You might ry to find something like this though.

I always like the vinyl storage sheds from rubbermaid. Solid, well built
and can be broken down. doesn't sound like it waould get by the
neighborhood "enforcers" though.

Another thing I have seen is to buy one of those aluminum containers that
are used on container ships. I have seen complete shops set up in these
things. And you can always hire a truck to move it anywhere. Again, that
would probably violate the PC police standards.

Swingman

Mar 15, 2006, 9:49:02 AM3/15/06
"brianlanning" wrote in message

> some other creative solution.

Given your circumstances, you may want to consider something I did for a
couple hundred bucks.

Since I couldn't move the big stuff out, I relegated a bunch of smaller
stuff and made more room for the big, to one of those Rubbermaid type,
outdoor bins they sell at Sam's ... this thing is BIG, approximately 42 cu
feet.

I built a platform for it and the "stuff" stays high and dry and out of
sight behind the shop. A good place to store supplies, jigs, things you trip
over and don't use often, and even wood up to 7' in length.

I _had_ to do something ... but that's OK, cuz there's a new shop/garage in
my not too distant future.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Leon

Mar 15, 2006, 9:59:44 AM3/15/06

"Swingman" <k...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I _had_ to do something ... but that's OK, cuz there's a new shop/garage
> in
> my not too distant future.

In the same spot?

Jeepnstein

Mar 15, 2006, 10:26:47 AM3/15/06
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=73290-77538-S01006001&lpage=none

If I had it to do over again, this is what I'd be getting. You can
even get a window for it. I think it comes in a larger size as well
for around $1,000. We have a Rubbermaid shed now and it is OK but a
little tight on space.

J.

Leon

Mar 15, 2006, 10:30:24 AM3/15/06

"Jeepnstein" <jeepn...@verizon.net> wrote in message

A team of 4 Lowe's employees? :~)

Guess who

Mar 15, 2006, 10:25:57 AM3/15/06
On 15 Mar 2006 06:23:45 -0800, "brianlanning" <brianl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>some other creative solution.

There are storage rental units available world-wide.

You said money is no object.

Dukes909

Mar 15, 2006, 10:46:15 AM3/15/06

Be prepared and buy some extra cordless driver batteries if you're getting
one of these. A friend of mine bought one of these vinyl sheds and it must
have had 1 million screws in it's assembahly.

Cheers!
Duke

Phisherman

Mar 15, 2006, 10:52:28 AM3/15/06
Whatever you build will most likely not be practical for moving. You
can buy a Rubbermaid plastic storage shed to store a few items.
Another idea is to build a doghouse with a hinged roof to store
gasoline, paint, and other flammable solvents away from the house--you
can sell the doghouse when it comes time to move. As with most
families whatever additional storage you get, that will fill up and
you'll be back in the same situation, so it's time to have a garage
sale and get rid of those items that have not been used in 12 months
to free up space and get some extra cash.

wrote:

>This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve

>some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.

<snip>

mjmwa...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2006, 10:57:34 AM3/15/06
Brian:

I have one these sheds:

http://www.cedarshed.com/

and it all comes apart and loaded on a pallet at my homecenter (not
Lowes or HD or Menards, so look around).

I have a small 4x8 and there are larger sizes. Simple to
put up, simple to take down.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

todd

Mar 15, 2006, 10:57:59 AM3/15/06
"Guess who" <notreal...@here.com> wrote in message

I get the impression that Brian needs access to this stuff on site. I'm
sure the unnamed burb in question will have no problems with a big container
from PODS sitting in the yard indefinitely.

todd

Swingman

Mar 15, 2006, 11:37:47 AM3/15/06
"Leon" wrote in message

> "Swingman" wrote in message

> > I _had_ to do something ... but that's OK, cuz there's a new shop/garage
> > in my not too distant future.
>

> In the same spot?

Yep ... the building is getting old and needs to be replaced. I didn't do it
when I built this house as leaving it "as is" allowed me more porch area due
to the city 'framed building area' limitations, and also let me do some of
the work close to the construction site.

At the moment it is a "the cobbler's kid has no shoes" situation ...I just
need to find the time to turn in a set of plans and get the re-engineering
done. I'll use a garage/foundation plan from one of our existing homes, and
make it as big as I can get away with ... which won't be much bigger, but it
will be higher, with perhaps second floor storage, and I need to keep it a
"garage" for resale value/code restrictions.

Just came in to get a cup of coffee, now back to the multitudinous face
frames (another good reason why I don't want my personal shop "off
premises"). ... they're almost done, you'll be glad to hear.

In any event, those big rubbermaid storage bins are handy!

George

Mar 15, 2006, 11:53:11 AM3/15/06

<mjmwa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'd make something similar out of 4x8 or 6x8 subpanels that I could bolt
together through the studs, or remove the bolts and put on my snowmobile
trailer to move to a different place. Shiplap ought to do for the water
exclusion, floor joists on treated skids so the assessor wouldn't call it an
"outbuilding."

todd

Mar 15, 2006, 1:10:09 PM3/15/06
"brianlanning" <brianl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve
> some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.
>
> I have not one, not two, but ten bicycles in my garage/shop. In
> addition, I have a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas cans, propane tanks,
> snow-related doo-dads, and a lot of other crud I'd like to get out of
> there to free up more shop space and keep the little ones from
> habitually parking their bicycles in exactly the worst locations every
> time.
>
> The obvious solution is a back yard storage shed. The ideal
> arrangement would be something extremely large, but there are a number
> of caveats.

<snip>

> I thought about buying a flat bed trailer, then building a building on
> it to look like a small house, then removing the wheels and installing
> some sort of skirt around it. That's a big project though. And since
> I currently have more money than time, I'd rather just buy something.
> oh, I'm in the chicago area if that matters.
>
> brian

Taking your desires into account, if I was in your situation, I think I'd go
with one of the metal/vinyl sheds. I think a framed structure would be a
pain to deal with trying to disassemble. One other thing to keep in mind is
any municipal code relating to size. Here in my Chicago burb, we are
limited to 100 sq ft for a structure before you have to pull a permit, which
them means a concrete foundation, etc, etc. If you go over 100 sq ft here,
then you're basically buiding a garage as far as the city is concerned.

todd

Leuf

Mar 15, 2006, 2:34:11 PM3/15/06
wrote:

>This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve

>some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.
>
>I have not one, not two, but ten bicycles in my garage/shop. In
>addition, I have a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas cans, propane tanks,
>snow-related doo-dads, and a lot of other crud I'd like to get out of
>there to free up more shop space and keep the little ones from
>habitually parking their bicycles in exactly the worst locations every
>time.

Are you in a safe enough area to just have a big bike rack outside?

-Leuf

Leon

Mar 15, 2006, 2:56:52 PM3/15/06

> At the moment it is a "the cobbler's kid has no shoes" situation ...I just
> need to find the time to turn in a set of plans and get the re-engineering
> done. I'll use a garage/foundation plan from one of our existing homes,
> and
> make it as big as I can get away with ... which won't be much bigger, but
> it
> will be higher, with perhaps second floor storage, and I need to keep it a
> "garage" for resale value/code restrictions.

I hear you. The second story idea sounds pretty good if you can squeak it
in between the ever changing building codes. :~) Perhaps storage and
smaller and lighter weight tools up stairs if you can get away with a full 2
story.

> Just came in to get a cup of coffee, now back to the multitudinous face
> frames (another good reason why I don't want my personal shop "off
> premises"). ... they're almost done, you'll be glad to hear.

There is a lot to be said for having the shop on premises. Short drive to
work and less over head. ;~)

> In any event, those big rubbermaid storage bins are handy!

I ended up building a small 10 x12 storage building in my back yard. I have
about as much room back there as you, maybe. I spent a small fortune on it
so that it would have the same appearance of the house. I just finished
with it this fall and have quite a bit of room for wood storage and those
items that clutter up the garage.

Gary in Virginia

Mar 15, 2006, 3:18:47 PM3/15/06

"todd" <tod...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "brianlanning" <brianl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve
>> some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.
>>
>> I have not one, not two, but ten bicycles in my garage/shop. In
>> addition, I have a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas cans, propane tanks,
>> snow-related doo-dads, and a lot of other crud I'd like to get out of
>> there to free up more shop space and keep the little ones from
>> habitually parking their bicycles in exactly the worst locations every
>> time.
>>
>> The obvious solution is a back yard storage shed. The ideal
>> arrangement would be something extremely large, but there are a number
>> of caveats.

It just so happens that next week, Norm will be building an outdoor storage
shed. (at least that's what he said at the end of Saturday's episode in my
area.)

Gary in Virginia

brianlanning

Mar 15, 2006, 3:46:54 PM3/15/06
>It just so happens that next week, Norm will be building an outdoor storage
>shed. (at least that's what he said at the end of Saturday's episode in my
>area.)

I've already seen it. That's what got me going.

brian

John

Mar 15, 2006, 8:18:15 PM3/15/06
Then just go to BJ's or Sam's Club or some such place and get one of
their pre-built sheds delivered. The Cedar shed on a pallet that someone
else mentioned is a nicer looking alternative, but if wheeling something
in and putting a skirt around it is too much trouble for you now then
you'll probably never go through the trouble of disassembling the nice
looking cedar shed later. Therefore since you must buy something then
buy something that you won't be sorry to leave behind.

J.

jes...@bloomer.net

Mar 15, 2006, 10:05:01 PM3/15/06
When I was a kid, my dad had an ice fishing shack that he made in a
weekend out of 1/2" plywood. Rather than making it as a permenent
structure that would take up space year-round, he screwed 2" x 2" studs
around the perimeter of each sheet of ply on the inside, and 1"x stock
around the outside perimeter of each sheet to look like trim. Then,
the whole deal was nailed together with a few duplex nails, while we
drilled holes through the studs for carriage bolts to hold the thing
together. The base was sort of like a pallet with skis on either side
and a piece of plywood with a trapdoor for a floor- the walls attached
to it with the same carriage bolts and wing nuts used in the whole
thing. The roof was the same as the walls, with a little slant to it
to let the snow slide off and some shingles (or maybe plastic, I forget
which). Anyhow, the thing would disassemble pretty easily and the
peices fit right on top of the base for transport out to the lake, or
from one lake to another. It held up to some fairly ferocious winds
and rough weather conditions, and he's still got the thing- though it
is now being used as a shed in the backyard.

Last fall, we used a similar method for building a foundation form at
work (with stouter lumber and cross bracing), and it worked well for
that also. We took the form peices back to the shop after the pour,
and they're still good for at least a couple more uses.

After everything is said and done- it's a shed. I'd lay some pallets
on the yard (or set a couple of posts and leave the ground bare), put
some plywood or hardboard over them, and build on that platform with
standard sized sheets of plywood or chipboard with a timber frame
around the perimeter of each sheet to bolt the sucker together. It's
quick and easy, can be painted however you like, as big as you want it
to be (within reasonable limits- I wouldn't make it bigger than 8' x
16', myself) and can be partially disassembled for moving, or totally
disassembled to use the wood for something else later. Obviously,
it's not the preferred method for building a nice little permenent
shed, but it'd work nicely for a temporary outbuilding, and can be done
for under $500 in a day or two.

lwh...@paulbunyan.net

Mar 16, 2006, 7:57:25 AM3/16/06
brianlanning wrote:

> The obvious solution is a back yard storage shed. > We're renting our house at the moment. So there's a good chance that we'll have to move in a year.

For now, a small 4x8 shed
> would probably be adequate.
>
> So I need to be able to take it with me when/if we move. >

I had a similar situation when I lived at the trailer park. I needed a
substantial shed for secure storage. I built a nice sturdy
full-height shed, 10x10 at the base and 12x12 at the eaves. I never
gave a thought as to what I would do when I moved. Well, when I did
get ready to move, I was able to hire someone to move it for me. I
just looked in the phone book under house movers. I was able to hire a
guy to move my big shed 250 miles to my new location, no problem. For
someone who is used to moving houses, a shed is a non-event.

So if 4x8 is big enough for you then you should be able to buy or build
anything you want. You could even look for a mover in advance. I
think you should build or buy an extra sturdy shed that will stand up
to being towed at highway speed. I lost a few shingles on mine but was
otherwise was very happy and surprised at how easy it was to have a
rather large shed moved.

Lawrence

Mike Reed

Mar 16, 2006, 8:36:49 AM3/16/06
Ack! My bikes are only outside when I'm on them! Dunno about
brianlannings, but, well, ACK!

-Mike

Steve DeMars

Mar 16, 2006, 8:40:42 AM3/16/06
In my area, if you have a shed on skids . . . any tilt-back wrecker company
will move it for you at the same rate as towing a car . . . One guy here
says he would rather move an eight by ten shed than a full size pick-up . .
. Basically a dollar a mile . . . . I would line up a wrecker/mover and
build with the intent for it to fit on a tilt-back wrecker . . . this way
you are not limited to one hauler down the road . . . . My brother builds
large iron gates and has them moved this way . . . . he has a large wooden
skid, builds the gate on it, then calls the wrecker . . . cheaper than a
trucking company & most of these guys are independents and price is very
negotiable . . .

Steve

brianlanning

Mar 16, 2006, 9:32:02 AM3/16/06
The weather here is brutal in the winter. I doubt the bikes would last
a year outside. Besides, the association police would start sending me
nastygrams.

brian

Leuf

Mar 16, 2006, 12:58:13 PM3/16/06
On 16 Mar 2006 06:32:02 -0800, "brianlanning" <brianl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The weather here is brutal in the winter. I doubt the bikes would last
>a year outside. Besides, the association police would start sending me
>nastygrams.

I gues then I would think of the shed as more a "bike garage" with
room for storing other things rather than a shed in which bikes can be
put. If all the bikes have a real place where they belong and it's
easier to get them in it than find a place in the garage to leave em
then you've at least got a chance of them ending up there at the end
of the day. Otherwise it's just going to be space that gets filled up
and you'll be right back where you are now.

God help you when they start driving :)

-Leuf

brianlanning

Mar 16, 2006, 2:24:52 PM3/16/06
>God help you when they start driving :)

The oldest one gets a learner's permit next year. We've already joked
about paving the front yard to turn it into a parking lot.

brian

Robatoy

Mar 16, 2006, 3:49:36 PM3/16/06
In article <8k_Rf.47605$F_3....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>,
"Leon" <removespa...@swbell.net> wrote:

> There is a lot to be said for having the shop on premises. Short drive to
> work and less over head. ;~)

Yes indeed. But it has its drawbacks too. That 'quick-glue-up-so-it-can
-dry-overnight' can run into hours. For years I worked on premises then
built out in the country, some 25 km away (that's 15.5 miles for you
metrically impaired readers) I did that drive for 13 years and liked
closing the door and leaving it behind.
Now the cycle seems to be starting all over again.
In Sept '06, my non-competition agreement expires and, man, I need to
move..I'm getting claustro here.. I actually manage to bump into myself
on a regular basis.

To build a 2.5 car garage on my property would do the job, but then I'm
still taking a chance with the zoning folks. My current garage/shop is
one a property two doors down, which is zoned farm/light industrial, but
there I can't expand as the 'coverage' of the property would need a
variance...and the odds are not good around here.

Onward