Wood Toxicity Article

Lorne Gushulak

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
I am trying to locate an article in one of the magazines that had a table
of the woods and then rated them for toxicity in terms of respiratory and
reactions. I thought it was FWW but did not find it. Does anyone know of
the article and which magazine it was in? I have alrady tried DejaVu.

--
:{) Lorne
Cutting Box Joints? See my new method

Ken Vaughn

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
I remember seeing that table also -- somewhere in the last year or two. A
search of the FWW index shows an early article (with chart) in FWW #9, and
an article on toxicity to specific woods in FWW #114.
--
Ken Vaughn
Lakewood, Colorado

Lorne Gushulak <gu...@portal.ca> wrote in message

C.E. "Chuck" Ring

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
to Lorne Gushulak
Lorne,

Did you try Article Search:

http://209.122.88.33/index.htm use "tox" for your keyword for around four
articles. don't know if they are what you are looking for, but perhaps they will
help. You might also try "hazards".

Chuck

Lorne Gushulak wrote:

> I am trying to locate an article in one of the magazines that had a table
> of the woods and then rated them for toxicity in terms of respiratory and
> reactions. I thought it was FWW but did not find it. Does anyone know of
> the article and which magazine it was in? I have alrady tried DejaVu.
>
> --
> :{) Lorne
> Cutting Box Joints? See my new method
> http://www2.portal.ca/~gush/BoxJoin.html
> Member: Fraser Valley Woodworkers Guild

--

C.E."Chuck" Ring
Edgewood, New Mexico USA
http://www.abq-sfe.com/enchant
http://www.woodworking.org
http://209.122.88.33/index.htm

NOSPAMBOB

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
I believe this was downloaded from one of the frequently recommended sites. It
replaced another from a couple of years ago. Happy editing.

This data sheet was adapted from chapter 17 of Artist Beware.
2/8/99

Table 1. Toxic Woods - By Robert Woodcock, R.N., B.S.N., C.E.N.

REACTION SITE SOURCE INCIDENCE

I - irritant S - skin D - dust R - rare
S - sensitizer E - eyes W - wood C - common
C - nasopharyngeal R - resp. LB-leaves, U - unknown
cancer C - cardiac bark
P - pneumonitis, N - nausea,
alveolotis malaise
(hypersensitivity
pneumonia)
DT - direct toxin

WOOD REACTION SITE POTENCY SOURCE INCIDENCE

Bald Cypress S R + D
Balsam Fir S E,S + LB
Beech S,C E,S,R ++ LB,D
Birch S R ++ W,D
Black Locust I,N E,S +++ LB
Blackwood S E,S ++ D,W
Boxwood S E,S ++ D,W
Cashew S E,S + D,W
Cocobolo I,S E,S,R +++ D,W
Dahoma I E,S ++ D,W
Ebony I,S E,S ++ D,W
Elm I E,S + D
Goncalo Aves S E,S ++ D,W
Greenheart S E,S +++ D,W
(Surinam)
Hemlock C R ? D
Iroko I,S,P E,S,R +++ D,W
Mahogany S,P S,R + D
(Swietenia)
Mansonia I,S E,S +++ D,W
N +
Maple S,P R +++ D
(C. Corticale mold)
Mimosa N ? LB
Myrtle S R ++
LB,D C
Oak S E,S ++
LB,D R
C ?
D U
Obeche I,S E,S,R +++ D,W
Oleander DT N,C ++++ D,W,LB
Olivewood I,S E,S,R +++ D,W
Opepe S R + D
Padauk S E,S,N + D,W
Pau Ferro S E,S + D,W
Peroba Rosa I R,N ++ D,W
Purpleheart N ++ D,W
Quebracho I R,N ++ D,LB
C ?
D U
Redwood S,P R,E,S ++ D
C ?
D U
Rosewoods I,S R,E,S ++++ D,W
Satinwood I R,E,S +++ D,W
Sassafras S R +
D R
DT N +
D,W,LB R
C ?
D U
Sequoia I R +
D R
Snakewood I R ++ D,W
Spruce S R +
D,W R
Walnut, BlackS E,S ++ D,S
Wenge S R,E,S ++ D,W
Willow S R,N +
D,W,LB U
W. Red CedarS R +++ D,LB
Teak S,P E,S,R ++ D
Yew I E,S ++
D C
DT N,C ++++
D,W C
Zebrawood S E,S ++ D,W

Woods Toxic to Man, author unknown

Woods, B., Calnan, C.D. "Toxic Woods." Br. Journal of
Dermatology. 9513, 1976, 1-97.

ILO Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety, 1983.

Lampe, K., McAnn, M. AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious
Plants, AMA, 1985.

Poisondex, Micromedix Inc. 1990.

In article <gush-24039...@news.portal.ca>, gu...@portal.ca (Lorne
Gushulak) writes:

>Does anyone know of the article and which magazine it was in? I have alrady
tried DejaVu.

rbowles96ATaolDOTcom for real E-mail

Gary W. Sandvik

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

Here is a reference chart for toxic levels of wood;

http://www.oneida-air.com/toxic.htm

--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

garyws...@att.net
309-676-0224 (fax)

Lorne Gushulak <gu...@portal.ca> wrote in message

> I am trying to locate an article in one of the magazines that had a table
> of the woods and then rated them for toxicity in terms of respiratory and

> reactions. I thought it was FWW but did not find it. Does anyone know of

> the article and which magazine it was in? I have alrady tried DejaVu.

Wolfgang Jordan

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

Pat Barber

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
Lorne Gushulak wrote:

> I am trying to locate an article in one of the magazines that had a table
> of the woods and then rated them for toxicity in terms of respiratory and
> reactions. I thought it was FWW but did not find it. Does anyone know of
> the article and which magazine it was in? I have alrady tried DejaVu.
>
> --
> :{) Lorne
> Cutting Box Joints? See my new method
> http://www2.portal.ca/~gush/BoxJoin.html
> Member: Fraser Valley Woodworkers Guild

Don't know about magazine but this might help out:

http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/navigate.htm

Lorne Gushulak

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
In article <36f95...@news.mho.net>, "Ken Vaughn" <kva...@amnix.com> wrote:

>I remember seeing that table also -- somewhere in the last year or two. A
>search of the FWW index shows an early article (with chart) in FWW #9, and
>an article on toxicity to specific woods in FWW #114.
>--
>Ken Vaughn
>Lakewood, Colorado

Thanks to all who replied. I still haven't found the magazine article but
if I do I will post the source. Maybe someone out there is thinking of
building a database on this subject.