Camcorder and VHS tapes to DVD and Web

powr...@aol.com

Jun 5, 2006, 12:55:58 PM6/5/06
I've been Googling this group for a while today and yesterday and am
not finding the answers that fit my situation. I'm looking for help.
To help you answer my questions, I would say that my technical
proficiency with computers is around a 7 or 8 out of 10. Here's what
I want to do.

I've got some source material that is in analog form, VHS tapes and
analog camcorder tapes that I would like to be able to convert to VCD
or DVD. Also, I would like to post snippets of these tapes, maybe 5 to
15 second clips to my website. And I'd like to watch these converted
tapes on my home DVD player.

First off, my system. Dell Dimension P-4 2.8 Ghz, 80 GB hard drive, 512
MB memory, CD-RW, CD-ROM, nVidia 128MB video card, USB 2.0. I have a
couple of PCI slots open. (I would buy a DVD burner)

First question--Is my system up to the task?

I've been searching the web and it looks like I need hardware that
can take my analog signals and convert them to digital, either a USB or
PCI card solution. Something like a Pinnacle DVC90 (USB) or Pinnacle
Studio 500 PCI, or Turtle Beach Video Advantage ADX (PCI) product.
I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Any suggestions for other
hardware are welcome. Comments on the video editing and burning
software that comes with these devices would be appreciated.

Second question--USB or PCI based?
Comment: It appears I would need an adapter cable to convert the video
and audio RCA connector outputs from the camcorder to S-video or
composite. My camcorder does not have separate audio channels.

Third question: VCD or DVD format? I'm leaning to DVD because I know
it will play on my home player. I've had VCD's burned by friends
that wouldn't play on it.

Any other recommendations or comments are welcomed.

Scubajam

Jun 6, 2006, 1:26:54 PM6/6/06
1) Your system is up to the task.

2) I'd go a completely different route for converting. I have a Sony
Digital8 Camcorder (and a HD one that won't do this) and use that to
record off VCR and analog inputs. The DCR-TRV740 for sure, and MANY
other Sony camcorders allow you to do this. But it's a little tricky
-only if you don't read the manual. It's usually in the VCR mode
section, but you don't record to tape, in fact, it doesn't work well if
there's a tape in the camera. Just plug your Firewire cable into the
computer (all video should be transferred via Firewire instead of USB),
and the analog input/output (usually RCA jack to a miniplug converter)
into the analog output. There's a menu setting for analog to digital
transfer. No need to record, no tape involved, it's just a
pass-through converter. Then record as in capturing digital on the
computer. Use standard DV quality settings and make a full quality avi
file. It's about 12-13 gig/hour hard drive space. If you don't have
or can't buy a camera, borrow one, or rent one. Just check that it has
this capability as not all do, but many Sony models, and some others,
do. If anything, I recommend a PCI solution if you feel you must buy
hardware. USB2 advertises 480 speed, but that's short burst; sustained
is more like 200. Firewire is 400 sustained. I've heard of some who
have had success using USB for video, but for sure it's slower. If you
don't have Firewire on your computer, a card is usually less than $20.

3) For sure DVD format. Use Ritek brand (or Toyo Yuden) DVD -R (more
compatible than +R) I've created hundreds of DVD's. Usually of my
underwater dives and I make DVD's and give them away. Get printable
ones and print on Epson printer (under $100), or on a Canon after
changing it to print on DVD (Google Canon print CD). I also buy
standard movie DVD cases for less than $0.30 each (with shipping), and
print on standard paper for the covers; it makes a professional
presentation of a purely amateur production. Not the jewel case that
breaks easily, the regular movie DVD case.

I just converted 3 VHS tapes to digital last week. Works great!

As an alternative, most digital camcorders will capture to tape, then
can Firewire to computer. You may be able to do with without an extra
purchase. Not much if any quality loss in conversion, then no loss in
digital capture.

Jim McG

powr...@aol.com

Jun 7, 2006, 11:21:40 AM6/7/06

> Scubajam wrote:
> 1) Your system is up to the task.
>
> 2) I'd go a completely different route for converting. I have a Sony
> Digital8 Camcorder (and a HD one that won't do this) and use that to
> record off VCR and analog inputs. The DCR-TRV740 for sure, and MANY
> other Sony camcorders allow you to do this. But it's a little tricky
> -only if you don't read the manual. It's usually in the VCR mode
> section, but you don't record to tape, in fact, it doesn't work well if
> there's a tape in the camera. Just plug your Firewire cable into the
> computer (all video should be transferred via Firewire instead of USB),
> and the analog input/output (usually RCA jack to a miniplug converter)
> into the analog output. There's a menu setting for analog to digital
> transfer. No need to record, no tape involved, it's just a
> pass-through converter. Then record as in capturing digital on the
> computer. Use standard DV quality settings and make a full quality avi
> file. It's about 12-13 gig/hour hard drive space. If you don't have
> or can't buy a camera, borrow one, or rent one. Just check that it has
> this capability as not all do, but many Sony models, and some others,
> do. If anything, I recommend a PCI solution if you feel you must buy
> hardware. USB2 advertises 480 speed, but that's short burst; sustained
> is more like 200. Firewire is 400 sustained. I've heard of some who
> have had success using USB for video, but for sure it's slower. If you
> don't have Firewire on your computer, a card is usually less than $20.

Thanks for the response. Good advice. My problem is I don't have a
firewire port on my computer so I'd have to purchase a card. That would
be around $25 - $30. Then I would need movie making software so at this
point I might as well spring for the PCI card and the video
editing/burning software that comes with it. I do have Sonic DVD/CD
burning software.

Plus I have hours of camcorder tapes to go through and edit down so if
I rented a digital camcorder for pass through purposes it might get
expensive.

PTravel

Jun 7, 2006, 11:41:03 AM6/7/06

<powr...@aol.com> wrote in message

1394/Firewire cards cost around $15. You can often find them packaged with
video editing software for well under $100. Also, if you're running
Windows, Windows Movie Maker is free and a reasonable (though very basic)
editing package. You can download the update to version 2 for free from
Microsoft.

Scubajam

Jun 7, 2006, 1:58:56 PM6/7/06
1) As noted before, a Firewire card is as cheap as $20, and is
necessary for almost any type of work like this. Most camcorders with
USB use it only to retrieve stills from the memory card, or for
streaming to the 'net, which is a much lower quality output. Almost
all use Firewire as capture method. Here's a link for $20

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3506224?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

OR

http://www.infotechnow.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=729

2) Windows Movie Maker is free and should be on all machines with XP.
If not, go to microsoft.com and download it. Not msn.com.

3) Virtually all major editing software programs allow a free trial. I
use Ulead, which is one of the easiest to learn, but not the most
popular. Even within Ulead there's Video Studio, which is designed for
easy use by beginners with a simple interface; and there's Media Studio
Pro, which is much more powerful, but takes longer to learn. Same for
most other editing software. Some will cripple the trial versions, but
Ulead offers full capability for 30 days. You just don't get support
or updates.

4) I've purchased 5 camcorder off eBay over the years. You may check
there. Can often get one for under $200. Just make sure you check for
Analog to Digital conversion pass through capability. You'll wind up
with a nice camcorder also. I've used Digital8 because the code on the
tape is exactly the same as a miniDV tape for the same quality
standard, but the tapes are cheaper (and cameras larger). Of course
each media also has it's own quality standards. Some record 290K
pixels/frame, others 490K, others 690K, etc. Again, have to compare
apples to apples with either miniDV or Digital8. And again, make sure
you check that any model you buy has the conversion ability you want.
I use the DCR-TRV740, which is Digital8, 1 megapixel gross single CCD
and 690K per frame recorded. BTW, the TRV-240 & 340 also have analog
to digital capability, but record 290K effective; the 740 & 840 record
690K effective. Obviously more detail with better quality, but also
higher cost. Although, I purchased my last 740 for about $170 off
eBay. Cheaper than renting! Also try pawn shops, Craigs List, etc.

5) You say you have hours of camcorder tapes. I take it they are all
VHS tapes? If there were 8mm, even the analog 8, they will play
through a Digital8 camcorder and you'll get a digital signal out the
Firewire for recording. Digital8 also play the older analog 8mm tapes.
Capture and edit avi, then render to mpg or let your DVD burn software
render the avi file to mpg. You have a lot to learn.

With hours of tape, you have a major task ahead of you. I plan on 1 to
2 hours per minute of final DVD for my editing. I'm usually making 10
to 30 minute DVD's of scuba dives and family events. That includes
adding music, titles, and cutting out all the crap. You'll develop a
6th sense of what's interesting and what isn't. Keep cuts short, even
to 2-5 seconds unless they're really interesting. I'm in the middle
of over 15 projects right now, some a couple years old. Editing takes
a LOT of time, but the results can be rewarding. It's either in your
blood, or it isn't. As you're learning, it isn't as simple as it first
appears.

Hope this helps.

Jim McG

powr...@aol.com

Jun 7, 2006, 2:33:30 PM6/7/06

> Scubajam wrote:

> 4) I've purchased 5 camcorder off eBay over the years. You may check
> there. Can often get one for under $200. Just make sure you check for
> Analog to Digital conversion pass through capability. You'll wind up
> with a nice camcorder also. I've used Digital8 because the code on the
> tape is exactly the same as a miniDV tape for the same quality
> standard, but the tapes are cheaper (and cameras larger). Of course
> each media also has it's own quality standards. Some record 290K
> pixels/frame, others 490K, others 690K, etc. Again, have to compare
> apples to apples with either miniDV or Digital8. And again, make sure
> you check that any model you buy has the conversion ability you want.
> I use the DCR-TRV740, which is Digital8, 1 megapixel gross single CCD
> and 690K per frame recorded. BTW, the TRV-240 & 340 also have analog
> to digital capability, but record 290K effective; the 740 & 840 record
> 690K effective. Obviously more detail with better quality, but also
> higher cost. Although, I purchased my last 740 for about $170 off
> eBay. Cheaper than renting! Also try pawn shops, Craigs List, etc.

Thanks for the links to firewire cards and the heads up on MS
Moviemaker. Yes, I have that on my system.

I've got to make a decision on the Digital camcorder vs. a capture and
convert analog to digital device. Obviously the camcorder would be more
expensive and would render my old analog one obsolete (I guess it is
already, for anybody but me!) but I would have a digital camcorder.
I'll pop over to e-bay and have a look around.

> 5) You say you have hours of camcorder tapes. I take it they are all
> VHS tapes? If there were 8mm, even the analog 8, they will play
> through a Digital8 camcorder and you'll get a digital signal out the
> Firewire for recording. Digital8 also play the older analog 8mm tapes.
> Capture and edit avi, then render to mpg or let your DVD burn software
> render the avi file to mpg. You have a lot to learn.

They are analog 8 tapes, and yes, I have a lot to learn.

> With hours of tape, you have a major task ahead of you. I plan on 1 to
> 2 hours per minute of final DVD for my editing.

<Boggles>

> I'm usually making 10
> to 30 minute DVD's of scuba dives and family events. That includes
> adding music, titles, and cutting out all the crap. You'll develop a
> 6th sense of what's interesting and what isn't. Keep cuts short, even
> to 2-5 seconds unless they're really interesting. I'm in the middle
> of over 15 projects right now, some a couple years old. Editing takes
> a LOT of time, but the results can be rewarding. It's either in your
> blood, or it isn't. As you're learning, it isn't as simple as it first
> appears.

It's in my blood. I did some film editing with 8 mm film in my younger
days and I like to touch up digital photos. I can already see that I'll
be boiling down an hour of camcorder video to about 10 minutes of saved
digital video. The wife has a tendency to keep the camera rolling no
matter what. :-D

> Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks again.

jerry...@hotmail.com

Jun 7, 2006, 8:39:53 PM6/7/06

powr...@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the links to firewire cards and the heads up on MS
> Moviemaker. Yes, I have that on my system.

I believe you said you also needed to buy a DVD burner? You'll
probably find that a movie capture/edit program comes bundled
with it. When I bought my HP DVD burner about 2 years ago,
it came with a program called ArcSoft ShowBiz. Works very
well for basic capture, slicing, dicing and DVD production. If you
buy the program instead of getting it bundled, I think it's around
$99.

I am using a mini-DV videocam set for analog-to-digital
passthrough for converting old tapes. I have 40 or so VHS-C
tapes from my old videocam that I am gradually putting on
DVD. Dirt-simple, but mind-numbingly time consuming, once
you've got the process down. Play the analog tape into the
analog video input on the digital videocam, hook the digital
output of the digital videocam to the Firewire input of the
computer (yes, you will need a firewire input), capture using
the program that came with your DVD burner, edit as
needed, burn the DVD. Rinse, lather, repeat. I have been
working on that pile of tapes on and off for about a year
now, still have maybe 15 to go.

Summing up, you need:
- DVD burner
- Software (comes with burner, OR, Windows Movie Maker)
- Firewire input for your computer
- Hardware analog-to-digital converter
OR
- Digital videocam with analog-to-digital passthrough

Jerry

Gene E. Bloch

Jun 8, 2006, 12:51:20 AM6/8/06
On 6/07/2006, powr...@aol.com posted this:

> It's in my blood. I did some film editing with 8 mm film in my younger
> days and I like to touch up digital photos. I can already see that I'll
> be boiling down an hour of camcorder video to about 10 minutes of saved
> digital video. The wife has a tendency to keep the camera rolling no
> matter what. :-D

That might not be so bad. It's more to edit, but it improves the odds
of having plenty of good footage and also the odds of not missing that
one important scene :-)

Best of luck
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

curvature

Jun 8, 2006, 10:08:42 AM6/8/06
Scubajam wrote:

> 5) You say you have hours of camcorder tapes. I take it they are all
> VHS tapes? If there were 8mm, even the analog 8, they will play
> through a Digital8 camcorder and you'll get a digital signal out the
> Firewire for recording. Digital8 also play the older analog 8mm tapes.

I have a related question:

I have *both* VHS tapes and analog 8mm tapes. Would the camcorder
capture solution work for this? (It doesn't seem like it would) Or is
there another type of solution for the VHS?

powr...@aol.com

Jun 8, 2006, 11:50:49 AM6/8/06

> Scubajam wrote:

> There's a menu setting for analog to digital
> transfer. No need to record, no tape involved, it's just a
> pass-through converter. Then record as in capturing digital on the
> computer.

Here's a question: Can I play my analog HandyCam tapes in a digital
camcorder and have the output digitized as I'm playing the tape?

In other words eliminate having to play the analog tape in my old
camcorder with patch cords through the digital camcorder and then a
firewire cable to my computer.

Jukka Aho

Jun 8, 2006, 12:12:37 PM6/8/06
powr...@aol.com wrote:

> Here's a question: Can I play my analog HandyCam tapes in a
> digital camcorder and have the output digitized as I'm playing
> the tape?

Some Digital8 camcorders allow this. MiniDV camcorders, of course,
don't, as the cassette is of different size and shape.

--
znark

Scubajam

Jun 8, 2006, 1:39:05 PM6/8/06

> I have a related question:
>
> I have *both* VHS tapes and analog 8mm tapes. Would the camcorder
> capture solution work for this? (It doesn't seem like it would) Or is
> there another type of solution for the VHS?

Read the thread from the beginning. It started with converting VHS to
digital. Get the right camcorder and it will do the pass through.
Pass through means without having to record to tape first. Connect
camcorder RCA plugs to VHS player output and Firewire from camcorder to
computer. Go into the camcorder menu and select Analog to digital
conversion pass through, then capture with a digital video capture
program on the computer. Don't forget to change back to use your
camcorder as normal. Many miniDV and Digital8 camcorder do this, but
not all. That takes care of your VHS tapes. Now, most if not all Sony
Digital8 camcorder will play older analog 8mm tapes and output digital
through the firewire. So, if you get a Digital8 camcorder that does
pass through, it will do both types of operations. But make sure the
model you get will do the pass through. I know the -40 models will.
DCR-TRV240, 340, 740 and 840. I think they will all play the old tapes
also. The 740 and 840 are much better quality recorded images. They
sold for about $1,000 new and now go for about $300+ on eBay. I did
buy one without charger, remote, etc (I already have that stuff) for
$170, but had to wait and shop to get it.

Jim McG
Washington State