New Orleans

BARBARA WILLIAMS

Oct 15, 2008, 4:35:00 PM10/15/08
My wife and I are thinking of spending a month or two in New Orleans this
winter. I'll love to hear from anyone who has been visiting the city
recently... of course we have the usual questions about how the recovery is
going and would like some first hand info.

Thanks

--
It's A Great Day In Maine

Nile

Oct 15, 2008, 11:45:44 PM10/15/08
BARBARA WILLIAMS asked:

>>>we have the usual questions about how the recovery is going

In the areas you're likely to frequent you will see only occasional
signs of the hurricane -- an abandoned house or blocks with the
spray-painted indications of the rescue operation, or reconstruction of
houses or blocks of houses, or a favorite restaurant or store may not
have re-opened. But for the tourist or visitor, New Orleans has
returned to basically the same as before the storm. You can get a more
in-depth indication about specific neighborhoods in the neighborhood
forums on http://www.nola.com for the neighborhood(s) where you'll stay.

JimL

Oct 16, 2008, 3:06:59 PM10/16/08
> forums onhttp://www.nola.comfor the neighborhood(s) where you'll stay.

Also, check out www.TripAdvisor.com, and search for neworleans
forums.
Many postings every day from locals, regular and new visitors. THen
there other areas of TA giving hotel reviews, restaurant reviews,
things to do, etc.

You can read there for hours.

JamesStep

Oct 17, 2008, 8:05:13 PM10/17/08
> My wife and I are thinking of spending a
> month or two in New Orleans this
> winter.  I'll love to hear from anyone who
> has been visiting the city recently...

Barbara, my brother was there last month and he said that some
residential areas are still in shockingly bad condition, but the
tourist areas -- the French Quarter, Garden District, etc -- are
pretty much back to normal, except that they have fewer tourists than
before. The smaller crowds of course can be an advantage for you; the
only negative is that there aren't as many street performers
(musicians, etc) performing on the streets in the French Quarter as
before.

If you're going to be renting a place for your long stay, be very sure
that it's a safe neighborhood as crime is a problem in New Orleans.
And when sightseeing, use common sense and avoid dark or deserted
streets at night. Busy tourist areas are generally pretty safe.

Outside of town, I've heard that the historic plantations are in good
shape, and my brother visited beautiful Oak Alley plantation and
didn't see any damage.

The locals are glad to have tourists visiting as it'll help rebuild
the local economy!

James

Nile

Oct 24, 2008, 10:58:19 AM10/24/08
Direct link to the forums page (they're harder to find on nola.com than
they used to be):

http://www.nola.com/forums/

Mandarinmint

Oct 28, 2008, 3:23:57 PM10/28/08

Ah, New Orleans. . .fried food capital of the world!!!!!!! I think I
ate a lb of grease a day and gained about 15 lbs at the end of my trip.
Like everyone else in the forum mentioned. . .Hurricane Katrina didn't
do as much damage to the touristy part areas like the French Quarter as
everywhere else, so if you're just sticking to places like the Garden
District and etc., you should be fine. Of course, please check out
Cafe du Monde for their beignets. . .there's a smaller and less crowded
store over at the Riverwalk mall too if you want to avoid the lines.
Beignets are crispy, golden brown on the outside and soft, white, and
pillowy on the inside. Yum!!! With a hot cup of chicory coffee or
cafe au lait, I think it's probably one of the best respites you can
get after a long day of sightseeing and walking!!!

Aunt Sally's pralines that are sold next door are a little sickeningly
sweet, but my parents love them. They're basically globs of caked
sugar and pecans. . .so make sure to brush and floss well after
consuming!

I always go to Cafe Maspero for their fried seafood platters. .
.everything from fish, shrimp and oysters are battered and deep fried.
The muffalettas are extremely good too.

As you can tell. . .the only recommendations I can give you are on
food. . .while I Was there, I was too busy eating! hehe

I recommend going on a plantation tour, like to Oak Alley. .
.beautiful!

--
Mandarinmint

Mandarin.mint