Driving between Los Angeles and San Francisco

Doug McClure

Feb 4, 2004, 6:38:44 PM2/4/04
Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
Angeles and San Francisco.

The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC

I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
drive find it valuable.

DKM

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net

stermor

Feb 4, 2004, 7:33:26 PM2/4/04

"Doug McClure" <Dee_K...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

> Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
> Angeles and San Francisco.
>
> The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
> tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.
>
> Here is a link to their website:
>
> http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC
>
> I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
> drive find it valuable.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks interesting... as do the other "highway
specials" airing tonight.

Hatunen

Feb 5, 2004, 12:46:53 AM2/5/04
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:38:44 GMT, Doug McClure
<Dee_K...@EarthLink.net> wrote:

>Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
>Angeles and San Francisco.
>
>The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
>tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.
>
>Here is a link to their website:
>
>http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC
>
>I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
>drive find it valuable.

I think I saw this a couple of years ago and I seem to recall it
made the common mistake of assuming the entire stretch of Hwy-1
from LA to SF is the Pacific Coast Highway; it is not, although
it is obviously a Pacific coast highway.

************* DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@cox.net) *************

alohacyberian

Feb 5, 2004, 2:58:10 AM2/5/04
"Hatunen" <hatu...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:38:44 GMT, Doug McClure
> <Dee_K...@EarthLink.net> wrote:
> >Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
> >Angeles and San Francisco.
> >
> >The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
> >tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.
> >
> >Here is a link to their website:
> >
> >http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC
> >
> >I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
> >drive find it valuable.
>
> I think I saw this a couple of years ago and I seem to recall it
> made the common mistake of assuming the entire stretch of Hwy-1
> from LA to SF is the Pacific Coast Highway; it is not, although
> it is obviously a Pacific coast highway.

There are areas of the Pacific Coast Highway that are Highway 1 and parts of
PCH (Camino Real) are U.S. 101 which doesn't run along the coast other than
in Ventura and parts of Santa Barbara Counties. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Feb 5, 2004, 4:07:21 AM2/5/04
Once upon a 2/4/04 9:46 PM, in the land of
c2m320hscbj4a2tpi...@4ax.com, the good witch "Hatunen" from
<hatu...@cox.net> told the whole world all about how:

> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:38:44 GMT, Doug McClure
> <Dee_K...@EarthLink.net> wrote:
>
>> Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
>> Angeles and San Francisco.
>>
>> The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
>> tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.
>>
>> Here is a link to their website:
>>
>> http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC
>>
>> I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
>> drive find it valuable.
>
> I think I saw this a couple of years ago and I seem to recall it
> made the common mistake of assuming the entire stretch of Hwy-1
> from LA to SF is the Pacific Coast Highway; it is not, although
> it is obviously a Pacific coast highway.

The show covers the entire coast highway from Los
Angeles to the Olympic Peninsula, not merely California's "Highway One"

between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

They've chosen a simple, easily understandable, designation for this
highway (or concatenated lengths of various highways, if you insist).

They've merely capitalized your "Pacific coast highway" (as is appropriate
for a title) if you will.

That California has chosen to limit the obvious designation "Pacific Coast
Highway" to a stretch of coastal highway between LA and Oxnard, or wherever,
is unfortunate, but it's a rather parochial thing all in all. It doesn't
affect what visitors to Oregon and Washington, or for that matter, what New
Yorkers or Virginians think of as the "Pacific Coast Highway" in any great
degree.

Ken

Feb 5, 2004, 10:54:16 AM2/5/04
"Carmen L. Abruzzi" <carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> It doesn't affect what visitors to Oregon and Washington, or for that
> matter, what New Yorkers or Virginians think of as the "Pacific Coast
> Highway" in any great degree.

If you get lost and ask someone in San Francisco how to get to the "Pacific
Coast Highway", they won't understand you. Ask how to get to Hwy 1 and they
can give you directions. In urban areas, the highway is not the closest road
to the ocean.

Hatunen

Feb 5, 2004, 11:23:15 AM2/5/04
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:58:10 GMT, "alohacyberian"
<alohac...@att.net> wrote:

>"Hatunen" <hatu...@cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:38:44 GMT, Doug McClure
>> <Dee_K...@EarthLink.net> wrote:
>> >Last month there were several questions about driving between Los
>> >Angeles and San Francisco.
>> >
>> >The History Channel is broadcasting a program on Pacific Coast Highway
>> >tonight, which will be repeated several more times this week.
>> >
>> >Here is a link to their website:
>> >
>> >http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=THC
>> >
>> >I haven't seen this program, but I hope those who were considering the
>> >drive find it valuable.
>>
>> I think I saw this a couple of years ago and I seem to recall it
>> made the common mistake of assuming the entire stretch of Hwy-1
>> from LA to SF is the Pacific Coast Highway; it is not, although
>> it is obviously a Pacific coast highway.
>>
>There are areas of the Pacific Coast Highway that are Highway 1 and parts of
>PCH (Camino Real) are U.S. 101 which doesn't run along the coast other than
>in Ventura and parts of Santa Barbara Counties. KM

While a local community might give US-101 the local street name
of Pacific Coast Highway, state law designates Pacific Coast
Highway as "State Highway Route 1 from south of San Juan
Capistrano to near El Rio" (which is where Hwy-1 leaves US-101
north of Santa Barbara). Pacific Coast Highway does not exist
north of this point. Except, of course, Hwy-1 doesn't legally
exist from south of Santa Barbara to El Rio, either.

El Camino Real covers a number of highways as it wends it way
north, including the ocean-view stretches of US-101 from Ventura
to Goleta tunnel.

Hatunen

Feb 5, 2004, 11:29:01 AM2/5/04

And California Hwy-1 ends on the north at Leggett. Even the
lower-case "Pacific coast highway" is patently not a single
highway, although once US-101 reaches the coast again in far
northern California it remains a single highway up through
Oregon. What the documentary seems to mean is "those pieces of
highway that run roughly parallel to and near the Pacific Ocean".

Icono Clast

Feb 6, 2004, 5:30:51 AM2/6/04
Ken <nos...@no.no> wrote in message:

> > It doesn't affect what visitors to Oregon and Washington, or for that
> > matter, what New Yorkers or Virginians think of as the "Pacific Coast
> > Highway" in any great degree.

They can think what they like but we don't call Manhattan West
Brooklyn because we know better. You call the Cabrillo Highway the
Pacific Coast Highway either because you're ignorant or have so little
regard for us that you choose to impose your own name upon our highway
even though you know better. That's contemptible!

Generally speaking, El Camino Real extends from the Southernmost to
the Northernmost of the Missions. There are many streets that bear
that name only some of which are part of Highway 1, whether also the
Pacific Coast Highway in the SouthLand or the Cabrillo Highway.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Hatunen

Feb 6, 2004, 5:30:15 PM2/6/04
On 6 Feb 2004 02:30:51 -0800, ICl...@JPS.Net (Icono Clast) wrote:

>Ken <nos...@no.no> wrote in message:
>> > It doesn't affect what visitors to Oregon and Washington, or for that
>> > matter, what New Yorkers or Virginians think of as the "Pacific Coast
>> > Highway" in any great degree.
>
>They can think what they like but we don't call Manhattan West
>Brooklyn because we know better. You call the Cabrillo Highway the
>Pacific Coast Highway either because you're ignorant or have so little
>regard for us that you choose to impose your own name upon our highway
>even though you know better. That's contemptible!
>
>Generally speaking, El Camino Real extends from the Southernmost to
>the Northernmost of the Missions. There are many streets that bear
>that name only some of which are part of Highway 1, whether also the
>Pacific Coast Highway in the SouthLand or the Cabrillo Highway.

Legally, no part of CA-1 is part of El Camino Real.

Icono Clast

Feb 7, 2004, 4:32:29 AM2/7/04
Hatunen <hatu...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2004 02:30:51 -0800, ICl...@JPS.Net (Icono Clast) wrote:
> >Generally speaking, El Camino Real extends from the Southernmost to
> >the Northernmost of the Missions. There are many streets that bear
> >that name only some of which are part of Highway 1, whether also the
> >Pacific Coast Highway in the SouthLand or the Cabrillo Highway.
>
> Legally, no part of CA-1 is part of El Camino Real.

That surprises me. It seems pretty hard to avoid in more than six
hundred miles. Knowing your authority and expertise in these matters,
I accept your word.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Feb 7, 2004, 10:48:10 AM2/7/04
Once upon a 2/6/04 2:30 PM, in the land of
o85820pit0k3jrgtu...@4ax.com, the good witch "Hatunen" from

<hatu...@cox.net> told the whole world all about how:

>> They can think what they like but we don't call Manhattan West
>> Brooklyn because we know better. You call the Cabrillo Highway the
>> Pacific Coast Highway either because you're ignorant or have so little
>> regard for us that you choose to impose your own name upon our highway
>> even though you know better. That's contemptible!
>>
>> Generally speaking, El Camino Real extends from the Southernmost to
>> the Northernmost of the Missions. There are many streets that bear
>> that name only some of which are part of Highway 1, whether also the
>> Pacific Coast Highway in the SouthLand or the Cabrillo Highway.
>
> Legally, no part of CA-1 is part of El Camino Real.

What about the coastal freeway between Oxnard and Gaviota? That's US-101,
CA-1 and and El Camino Real I believe.
--
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Feb 7, 2004, 11:42:41 AM2/7/04
Once upon a 2/6/04 2:30 PM, in the land of
o85820pit0k3jrgtu...@4ax.com, the good witch "Hatunen" from

<hatu...@cox.net> told the whole world all about how:

> On 6 Feb 2004 02:30:51 -0800, ICl...@JPS.Net (Icono Clast) wrote:

>> Ken <nos...@no.no> wrote in message:

Ken did not write this, I did.

>> They can think what they like but we don't call Manhattan West
>> Brooklyn because we know better.

No one calls Manhattan "West Brooklyn". Many people, including the US Dept.
of Transportation, call the entire coastal route along the Pacific "the
Pacific Coast Highway".

>> You call the Cabrillo Highway the
>> Pacific Coast Highway either because you're ignorant or have so little
>> regard for us that you choose to impose your own name upon our highway
>> even though you know better. That's contemptible!

Nonsense. The entire coastal highway through California, Oregon and
Washington is referred to as the "Pacific Coast Highway" by the National
Scenic Byways program of the Federal Highway Administration.
<http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12744/overview.html>

There are several 6 figure projects along the Central and Northern
California coast funded by this program that use "Pacific Coast Highway" for
CA-1. Search for "Kent Property" on the page below for one example.

<http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/discretionary/rep5_fin.htm>

It's true that Hwy One north of Oxnard is not locally called "the Pacific
Coast Highway", and using that name there might cause some confusion; which
should be pointed out to people--it just might cause a local to respond "I
don't know where that is", while "how do I get to Hwy One" might get useful
directions. But it's extremely parochial to call such usage "ignorant", and
to call it contemptible is just silly.

The real problem is that there is a stretch of CA-1 between LA and Oxnard
that _is_ locally called "the Pacific Coast Highway" (or "the PCH"), while
this name is not used for the coastal highway in other places in California.

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Hatunen

Feb 7, 2004, 1:37:39 PM2/7/04

It's not CA-1. See California Streets and Highways Code
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=shc&group=00001-01000&file=300-635,
section 301 for CA-1 and 635(b) for El Camino Real.

Hatunen

Feb 7, 2004, 1:51:11 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 08:42:41 -0800, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
<carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Once upon a 2/6/04 2:30 PM, in the land of
>o85820pit0k3jrgtu...@4ax.com, the good witch "Hatunen" from
><hatu...@cox.net> told the whole world all about how:
>
>> On 6 Feb 2004 02:30:51 -0800, ICl...@JPS.Net (Icono Clast) wrote:
>>
>>> Ken <nos...@no.no> wrote in message:
>
>Ken did not write this, I did.

>>> They can think what they like but we don't call Manhattan West
>>> Brooklyn because we know better.
>
>No one calls Manhattan "West Brooklyn". Many people, including the US Dept.
>of Transportation, call the entire coastal route along the Pacific "the
>Pacific Coast Highway".
>
>>> You call the Cabrillo Highway the
>>> Pacific Coast Highway either because you're ignorant or have so little
>>> regard for us that you choose to impose your own name upon our highway
>>> even though you know better. That's contemptible!
>
>Nonsense. The entire coastal highway through California, Oregon and
>Washington is referred to as the "Pacific Coast Highway" by the National
>Scenic Byways program of the Federal Highway Administration.
><http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12744/overview.html>

This is someone's private web page and it is simply wrong. It
says:

"California's Pacific Coast Highway is one of the most unique
highways in America, and also one of the longest. A traveler
could deposit their car just north of the Mexican border and
drive on maintained highway, much of it right on the coast, north
to the Canadian Border. However, the actual Pacific Coast Highway
is generally believed to begin as Route 1 at San Juan Capistrano
South of Los Angeles, and end where Route 1 merges with Highway
101 at Leggett South of Eureka. The highway is not yet an
official California Dedicated Scenic Highway, but is eligible."

Many incorrect things are "generally beleived" but what is
"generally believed" is not generally believed by the people who
use the coast highway daily, as I did for 16 years. The
California Streets and Highways Code clearly says in section 635:

"(c) State Highway Route 1 from south of San Juan Capistrano to
near El Rio shall be known and designated as the "Pacific Coast
Highway.""

and

"(a) State Highway Route 1 from Las Cruces to San Francisco
shall be known and designated as the "Cabrillo Highway.""

El Rio is south of Santa Barbara and Las Cruces is north of Santa
Barbara.

>There are several 6 figure projects along the Central and Northern
>California coast funded by this program that use "Pacific Coast Highway" for
>CA-1. Search for "Kent Property" on the page below for one example.
>
><http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/discretionary/rep5_fin.htm>

Nothing on the web page mentions Pacific Coast Highway.

>It's true that Hwy One north of Oxnard is not locally called "the Pacific
>Coast Highway",

Because it's NOT Pacific Coast Highway.

>and using that name there might cause some confusion; which
>should be pointed out to people--it just might cause a local to respond "I
>don't know where that is", while "how do I get to Hwy One" might get useful
>directions. But it's extremely parochial to call such usage "ignorant", and
>to call it contemptible is just silly.

The law don't count, eh?

>The real problem is that there is a stretch of CA-1 between LA and Oxnard
>that _is_ locally called "the Pacific Coast Highway" (or "the PCH"),

That's because the stretch of CA-1 between LA and Oxnard really
is Pacific Coast Highway (see state code, above).

>while this name is not used for the coastal highway in other places in California.

Becasue the other stretches aren't Pacific Coast Highway.

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Feb 7, 2004, 4:49:54 PM2/7/04
Once upon a 2/7/04 10:51 AM, in the land of
78ca20tu95t8m0bbk...@4ax.com, the good witch "Hatunen" from

<hatu...@cox.net> told the whole world all about how:

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 08:42:41 -0800, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
> <carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> There are several 6 figure projects along the Central and Northern
>> California coast funded by this program that use "Pacific Coast Highway" for
>> CA-1. Search for "Kent Property" on the page below for one example.
>>
>> <http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/discretionary/rep5_fin.htm>
>
> Nothing on the web page mentions Pacific Coast Highway.

Sorry, try this PDF:
<www.bywaysonline.org/grants/archive/ pdf/FundedProjects.pdf>

On page 29 you'll find this project description:

California
$560,000.00
Andrew Molera Park--Kent Property
Byway(s): Route 1 Pacific Coast Highway
Abstract: The project will fund a scenic easement for 17.2 acre viewshed
property for preservation of open space, scenic and natural resource values
along the Route 1 Pacific Coast Highway, a National Scenic Byway. This
property is adjacent to Highway 1 near the community of Big Sur and also
shares a boundary with the existing Andrew Molera State Park, (4,800 acres).
[...]
Work Type(s): Resource Protection
Region: Monterey County, Central Coast California
Congressional Districts: 17 - Farr, Sam
Project #: SB-2000-CA-1
Year Grant Awarded: 2000

>> It's true that Hwy One north of Oxnard is not locally called "the Pacific
>> Coast Highway",
>
> Because it's NOT Pacific Coast Highway.
>
>> and using that name there might cause some confusion; which
>> should be pointed out to people--it just might cause a local to respond "I
>> don't know where that is", while "how do I get to Hwy One" might get useful
>> directions. But it's extremely parochial to call such usage "ignorant", and
>> to call it contemptible is just silly.
>
> The law don't count, eh?

The law doesn't say that the Cabrillo Highway may _not_ be called "the
Pacific Coast Highway". It is, in fact, so called by the Federal
Government's National Scenic Byways Program. It is also so-called by many
people outside of coastal central California. It is also called the "Big
Sur Highway".

If the law is taken to mean that "Cabrillo Highway" is the only designation
for the coastal highway along the Big Sur coast, it couldn't also be Highway
One.

--
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Hatunen

Feb 7, 2004, 5:10:16 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:49:54 -0800, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
<carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm afraid the federal government doesn't get to name state
highways. The feds are wrong. So was the California state tourist
office a few years ago when their on-line map called the Big Sur
stretch "Pacific Coast Highway". I emailed them, they thanked me
and changed it. Of course, for its own purposes the feds can hang
any moniker they like so long as they define it.

>It is also so-called by many
>people outside of coastal central California.

But not by people living in coastal central California.

>It is also called the "Big Sur Highway".

What official body calls it the Big Sur Highway? Are there any
signs along the route that say that?

>If the law is taken to mean that "Cabrillo Highway" is the only designation
>for the coastal highway along the Big Sur coast, it couldn't also be Highway
>One.

Well, of course, you and anyone else is free to call it anything
y'all like, just as I'm free to call US-1 on the east coast the
"Pacific Coast Highway", but that doesn't make it right.

Reminds me of the old Abe Lincoln joke:

First man: "if I call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog
have?"

Second man: "Why, five, of course."

First: "Hell no. Just four. Calling a tail a leg don't make it
one."

Icono Clast

Feb 8, 2004, 5:17:56 AM2/8/04
"Carmen L. Abruzzi" <carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Many people, including the US Dept. of Transportation, call the entire
> coastal route along the Pacific "the Pacific Coast Highway".

You call THEM an authority, that body that thinks "Hispanic" is a
racial designation and that all "African-Americans" are Black? You
cite no better authority than THAT?!?

> >> You call the Cabrillo Highway the Pacific Coast Highway either because
> >> you're ignorant or have so little regard for us that you choose to impose
> >> your own name upon our highway even though you know better. That's
> >> contemptible!
>
> Nonsense.

I repeat: That's contemptible!

> The entire coastal highway through California, Oregon and Washington is
> referred to as the "Pacific Coast Highway" by the National Scenic Byways
> program of the Federal Highway Administration.
> <http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12744/overview.html>

So you choose to believe some foreigners who don't live here what we
call our places and things? You probably also call a town in Texas
"House-t'n", a town in Kentucky "Looisville", a town in Louisiana "New
Orleenz", a town in Illinois "Kai-row", a town in Nebraska "Prahg", a
town in California "San Looey Obispo", etc. You probably also think
there's an Oakland Bay with a bridge over it. You probably believe
many things that aren't so. That's OK. What's not OK is insisting that
your ignorance isn't.

> There are several 6 figure projects along the Central and Northern
> California coast funded by this program that use "Pacific Coast Highway" for
> CA-1. Search for "Kent Property" on the page below for one example.
>
> <http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/discretionary/rep5_fin.htm>

So what? Wrong ain't right!

> It's true that Hwy One north of Oxnard is not locally called "the Pacific
> Coast Highway", and using that name there might cause some confusion; which
> should be pointed out to people--it just might cause a local to respond "I
> don't know where that is", while "how do I get to Hwy One" might get useful
> directions.

"One stretch" hundreds of miles long. In fact, the Cabrillo Highway is
much longer than the Pacific Coast Highway.

> The real problem is that there is a stretch of CA-1 between LA and Oxnard
> that _is_ locally called "the Pacific Coast Highway" (or "the PCH"), while
> this name is not used for the coastal highway in other places in California.

Even were your statement correct, it would not be a "problem". Here,
Market Street turns into Portolá Drive, Sixth Street on one side of
Market and Taylor on the other as well as many streets that change
South and North o' the Slot. There is no "problem". Some streets
change name when they cross various political divisions such a city,
county, or state lines. There is no "problem".

> But it's extremely parochial to call such usage "ignorant", and
> to call it contemptible is just silly.

This is MY home. It is the ONLY home I have, the only one I've EVER
had, the only one I'll ever have. It is extremely important to me. I
do not abide people coming here and calling my things and places
whatever they like rather than what we call them. When I travel, I
learn how to pronounce and name things as the locals do so that I
don't offend them and they don't look upon me as a contemptible
ignoramus. It's not a new idea, Carmen. It's been expressed, simply,
for millennia as: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

In the good ol' days of small mail readers and tag lines, one of my
taglines was: Provincial? Parochial? C'est moi!
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco

bbrr

Feb 8, 2004, 1:28:22 PM2/8/04
"Carmen L. Abruzzi" <carmenl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

the segment between san luis obispo and arroyo grande is both.

Icono Clast

Feb 9, 2004, 4:26:39 AM2/9/04
Carmen L. Abruzzi said:
> The law doesn't say that the Cabrillo Highway may _not_ be called
> "the Pacific Coast Highway".

Why should it? The law doesn't say San Francisco shouldn't be called
"Gold Mountain". Should it? The law doesn't say I shouldn't be called
Carmen L. Abruzzi. Should it? The law doesn't say New York shouldn't
be called "New Amsterdam", does it? Should it? The law doesn't say the
Los Angeles Basin shouldn't be called The Valley of Smokes. Should it?

> It is, in fact, so called by the Federal Government's National
> Scenic Byways Program.

A foreign agency spewing mis-information.

> It is also so-called by many people outside of coastal central
> California.

Foreigners, such as you, comptemtibly showing your disrespect for the
names of things that are not yours to name. You are stupidly insisting
upon maintaining your ignoance in the face of fact. Why are we even
bothering with your arrogance, contempt, and stubborness?

> It is also called the "Big Sur Highway".

Guilty!

> If the law is taken to mean that "Cabrillo Highway" is the only
> designation for the coastal highway along the Big Sur coast, it
> couldn't also be Highway One.

You really like red herrings, Carmen. In San Francisco, our buses and
highways have numeric designations as well as names. Our streetcars
have alphabetic designations as well as names.

Examples in and near town:
38 Geary
14 Mission
J Church
L Taraval
101 Bayshore
280 Junípero Serra
380 Quentin L. Kopp
1 Cabrillo
101 Redwood
92 San Mateo-Half Moon Bay (One side of Skyline [35])
92 Half Moon Bay-San Mateo (One side of Skyline [35])

In the SouthLand:
The Oneten (Santa Monica, I think)
The OneOhOne (Hollywood, I think)
The FourTen (San Diego, I think)
The Ninety-one (Artesia, I think)
The Five (Golden State, I think)
and other numbers for the highways named Pasadena, Harbor, etc.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco