Brick?

Freds4

Mar 1, 1995, 12:05:46 AM3/1/95
A "brick" is a medium to long bike ride, followed by a short to
medium run. Great for getting used to the feeling of transitioning from
bike to run.
Steve F.

Tandriesen

Feb 28, 1995, 8:03:09 PM2/28/95
In a recent Triathlon Magazine I saw the term Brick used in the
discription of a workout session. Outside of "I've been running so long my
feet feel like bricks", I've never hear the term. What is a brick?
Regards
Tim Andriesen
Decatur, IL

Rich Davis

Mar 2, 1995, 11:10:43 AM3/2/95
Tandriesen (tandr...@aol.com) wrote:
: In a recent Triathlon Magazine I saw the term Brick used in the

: discription of a workout session. Outside of "I've been running so long my
: feet feel like bricks", I've never hear the term. What is a brick?

>>-> From Da-Man, Larry Chapman's FAQ:

8) What's a "brick"?

A "brick" workout, in the triathlon community, is a bike ride followed
immediately by a run. It seems nobody really remembers how it got its
name but a couple guesses are:

* Bike-Run-ICK!
* That's how your legs feel for the first part of the run.
* Named by the man who invented it - Dr. Matthew Brick.

Martin J. Miller

Mar 2, 1995, 10:57:41 PM3/2/95
tandr...@aol.com (Tandriesen) wrote:
> What is a brick?

A "brick" refers to any workout including back-to-back bike rides
and runs (typically a ride followed immediately by a run). Like
any workout, bricks can be done in many different ways. Some even
take a trainer to a track and to brick repeats (e.g., ride 10 minutes
then run a mile, then repeat until you collapse and die). Most are
more sane and merely follow a hard ride with a medium-distance run.
Bricks prepare you for the tough bike to run transition in a race, and
are extremely beneficial (although probably no more than once every
1-2 weeks.

Scott Zagarino

Mar 3, 1995, 11:27:49 AM3/3/95
In article <3j5gpo$r...@reeve.research.aa.wl.com>, "Herman M. Ulloa"
<ull...@aa.wl.com> wrote:

> ri...@fc.hp.com (Rich Davis) wrote:

> > I seem to recall someone posting to r.s.t. about a year ago saying
> he and Mark Sisson coined the term several years ago when both were
> training hard. I think he said when he and Sisson would finish a
> tough bike-run workout they would proclaim "All in all,it's just
> another brick in the wall". On the other hand, I'm just finishing
> an 11-hour day at work and may be dreaming this.

It was I, and without pretention, that is where the "brick came from.
Always funny to see how something which sprung from such humble origins
becomes an overcomplicated "scientific" fact.

Scott Zagarino

Herman M. Ulloa

Mar 2, 1995, 5:28:08 PM3/2/95
ri...@fc.hp.com (Rich Davis) wrote:

> 8) What's a "brick"?
>
> A "brick" workout, in the triathlon community, is a bike ride followed
> immediately by a run. It seems nobody really remembers how it got its
> name but a couple guesses are:
>
> * Bike-Run-ICK!
> * That's how your legs feel for the first part of the run.
> * Named by the man who invented it - Dr. Matthew Brick.

Larry Chapman

Mar 4, 1995, 8:23:54 PM3/4/95
Herman M. Ulloa (ull...@aa.wl.com) wrote:
> > I seem to recall someone posting to r.s.t. about a year ago saying
> he and Mark Sisson coined the term several years ago when both were
> training hard. I think he said when he and Sisson would finish a
> tough bike-run workout they would proclaim "All in all,it's just
> another brick in the wall". On the other hand, I'm just finishing
> an 11-hour day at work and may be dreaming this.

Nice story BUT the term is way older than "a few years".

--
LSC (aka Larry Chapman)
(303) 229-3117

Scott Zagarino

Mar 6, 1995, 4:27:00 PM3/6/95

Larry Cahapman writes:

> Nice story BUT the term is way older than "a few years".

OK, one more time. The story is true. The word "brick" came into use about
1988 when Mark and I were doing ridiculously long workouts on Saturdays.
6-7 hour rides followed by 2 hour runs. As you can imagine, there were
quite a few times when we would get a little delirious and start doing
trivia quizes or "name that tune". One day, in the middle of the farmlands
in Ventura, while asking ourselves what we were doing there, the words to
the Pink Floyd song popped into our heads almost simultaneously. From then
on, every one of those Saturday workouts became "another brick in the
wall". Hence the term "brick"...our dubious contribution to the lexicon of
the sport of triathlon.

**egomaniac mode off**

ZAG

Steve Patt

Mar 6, 1995, 1:35:11 PM3/6/95
In article <szag-03039...@szag.earthlink.net>, sz...@earthlink.com
(Scott Zagarino) wrote:

> > > I seem to recall someone posting to r.s.t. about a year ago saying
> > he and Mark Sisson coined the term several years ago when both were
> > training hard. I think he said when he and Sisson would finish a
> > tough bike-run workout they would proclaim "All in all,it's just
> > another brick in the wall".
>

> It was I, and without pretention, that is where the "brick came from.
> Always funny to see how something which sprung from such humble origins
> becomes an overcomplicated "scientific" fact.

I can't disagree with Scott, of course, no doubt this is correct. However I
still prefer my mnemonic:

Bike Run In Combination - Killer!

And once and for all, Matt Brick did not invent this workout!

Steve Patt, Stevens Creek Software and Brick Devotee
http://alumni.caltech.edu/~slp/tad.html (The Athlete's Diary home page)
ftp://alumni.caltech.edu/pub/slp (Information and demo copies)
Steve...@aol.com (e-mail)

Larry Chapman

Mar 8, 1995, 5:33:24 PM3/8/95
Scott Zagarino (sz...@earthlink.com) wrote:
> OK, one more time. The story is true. The word "brick" came into use about
> 1988 when Mark and I were doing ridiculously long workouts on Saturdays.
> 6-7 hour rides followed by 2 hour runs. As you can imagine, there were
> quite a few times when we would get a little delirious and start doing
> trivia quizes or "name that tune". One day, in the middle of the farmlands
> in Ventura, while asking ourselves what we were doing there, the words to
> the Pink Floyd song popped into our heads almost simultaneously. From then
> on, every one of those Saturday workouts became "another brick in the
> wall". Hence the term "brick"...our dubious contribution to the lexicon of
> the sport of triathlon.

Consider this added to the FAQ . . .