cleaning bearings

Uryah

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

If you Inline Skate or Skateboard check out
Skare-D: www.sk8d.tsx.org
Jon Woodley wrote in message ...
>Hi,
>My bearings (abec 7's) sound awfull.  They grinded horribly so took them out
>and I can't even turn some of them (I've had them a couple weeks)!  Whats
>the best thing to use to clean and re-lubricate them.  Please help me,
>thanks.
>
>Jon

1st of all you shouldn,t be using abec 7's unless you are riding on a perfectly smooth surface, the reason is that ABEC 7's are like racing cars and thus are very easily damaged by surface irregularities.
Well the best thing you can do is to soak them in dish liquid for a few hours then rinse them in warm soapy water and finally just plain warm water. Atfter blow dry them and lubricate with an oil that has no solids.

P.S from the sounds of it you should have baught Abec 3 or 5

If you Inline Skate or Skateboard check out
Skare-D: www.sk8d.tsx.org

Jon Woodley

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

Valery Tsyplenkov

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
It is very strange that they degraded only couple of weeks since you
started using them, even considering the dirt-sensitive nature of
ABEC-7. Perhaps you were skating across puddles or sand or something?

I assume you know how to disassemble your bearings for clearing. If
not, don't be shy to ask.

Anyway, you would need two substances to clean them. Both can be
bought at your skate shop or at a larger sports store. One is
"degreaser", that also goes under monikers of "solvent", "citric
solution" etc. It dissolves old remnants of lube, broken down
fractions of it, and washes away the dirt that gets into the bearings
from the outside world. You'd likely to see Kryptonics, Racetec, BSB
and other brands -- they all would do the job. The second agent is the
new lube itself. You can select from a range of oils, gels, and
creams, depending on desired speed/longevity ratio. Gels are slower
but last longer and keep dirt out somewhat better. Oils are faster but
break down sooner that gels, so you have to relube more often. There's
seemingly an infinite range of opinions on what's better for a
recreational run-of-the-mill skating.

It's worth mentioning that some skaters prefer to use ol' trusty WD-40
for both cleaning and lubing purposes, because it's cheaper and
"better". Some use gun oil, even, and I won't be surprised if someone
out there is using K-Gel brand commonly reserved as a lubricant for
anal sex. You see, there are many opinions :) . One thing for sure:
just don't use dish detergent and hot water, as someone recently
"advised" in this newsgroup. Steel doesn't take it well to water.

Good luck,
V.