Freep article on Tara, CBS

Trish O'Brien

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
I haven't seen this article mentioned, so I thought I'd post the link. I think
we were all too busy ranting about Christine Brennan. The article ran Oct. 3,
so I don't know how much longer it will be there.

"But in the next couple of months -- while eligible skaters prepare for the
competitive season -- Lipinski, 16, will be taping four prime-time specials for
CBS and rehearsing for an appearance on the TV show "Touched By An Angel."

the rest of the article is at:
http://www.freep.com/sports/pagetwo/qline3.htm

Trish

Chuckg

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

Trish O'Brien wrote in message <361a338e...@news.bu.edu>...

>I haven't seen this article mentioned, so I thought I'd post the link.
I think
>we were all too busy ranting about Christine Brennan. The article ran
Oct. 3,
>so I don't know how much longer it will be there.

The Freep is not usually quick to take down old articles. If future
performance follows past performance, it'll be up there for several
weeks.

>"But in the next couple of months -- while eligible skaters prepare for
the
>competitive season -- Lipinski, 16, will be taping four prime-time
specials for
>CBS

All in the next couple of months? I think Ms. Barnas is a bit off
here... there wouldn't seem to be time in the next couple of months to
do *four* specials... not unless they're all rush jobs, and please God,
spare me any further rush jobs.

>and rehearsing for an appearance on the TV show "Touched By An Angel."

Looking forward to that episode. :-)

--
Chuckg

PegLewis

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

In article <361a338e...@news.bu.edu>, paob...@ix.netcom.com (Trish
O'Brien) writes:

>http://www.freep.com/sports/pagetwo/qline3.htm

Thanks, Trish.

Teasing: Oooh. it's on the sports page. I thought she was only giving
interviews with entertainment reporters now, or is that an Urban Legend. (I
know I read that here in RSSIF, but I never knew if it was jest or truth.)

Serious, now:
It says of her contract, "She was to skate in this weekend's U.S. Figure
Skating Association pro-am in Daytona Beach, Fla., but her agent, Mike Burg,
said she hasn't "reached an agreement" with the association regarding her
participation in its events. Lipinski's CBS contract prevents her from skating
in events televised on other networks for the next year."

Okay.

Yet she will appear on ESPN in the competition formerly known as "Legends."

Right. Clear as mud.

Peg, not enlightened in the least

"This incredibly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard and if is it
doesn't matter."Ruddigore
VisitTheAll-KwanNetwork @ http://members.aol.com/AllKwanNet/index.html
VisitLjudmillia's text archive @ http://home.swbell.net/icedance/millia.htm

PegLewis

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

In article <361a3...@news1.starnetinc.com>, "Chuckg" <cgla...@hotmail.com>
writes:

>All in the next couple of months? I think Ms. Barnas is a bit off
>here... there wouldn't seem to be time in the next couple of months to
>do *four* specials... not unless they're all rush jobs, and please God,
>spare me any further rush jobs.

Two of them, at least, are competitions, are they not? Ice wars and the Great
Eight thingie?

Peg, recalling the AP article announcing the deal

Chuckg

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

PegLewis wrote in message
<19981006130113...@ngol01.aol.com>...

>In article <361a3...@news1.starnetinc.com>, "Chuckg"
<cgla...@hotmail.com>
>writes:
>
>>All in the next couple of months? I think Ms. Barnas is a bit off
>>here... there wouldn't seem to be time in the next couple of months to
>>do *four* specials... not unless they're all rush jobs, and please
God,
>>spare me any further rush jobs.
>
>Two of them, at least, are competitions, are they not? Ice wars and the
Great
>Eight thingie?
>
>Peg, recalling the AP article announcing the deal

Point. OK, if at least two of them are comps, that will be livable.
Let's just hope her injury does not preclude making the comps.

--
Chuckg

OperettaJK

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

In article <19981006130112...@ngol01.aol.com>,
pegl...@aol.comopcit (PegLewis) writes:

>Serious, now:
>It says of her contract, "She was to skate in this weekend's U.S. Figure
>Skating Association pro-am in Daytona Beach, Fla., but her agent, Mike Burg,
>said she hasn't "reached an agreement" with the association regarding her
>participation in its events.

So the four-year contract she signed last year doesn't mean a damn? When will
the USFSA get a backbone?

>Lipinski's CBS contract prevents her from skating in events televised on other
>networks for the next year."
>
>Okay.
>
>Yet she will appear on ESPN in the competition formerly known as "Legends."

I guess the key word is "networks", which usually only means ABC, NBC, CBS and
Fox. Cables are not included.

Jas

Marlene A Koenig

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Could not "reached an agreement" mean Tara has not trained enough to
be in competitive shape? one wonders......
--
and author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
published by Rosvall Royal Books

Wayne Joy

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

Marlene A Koenig wrote:

Tara is recovering from a hip injury suffered after doing a triple
flip. She has been training in public SOI practices that several people
from the skatefans list and FSworld has observed. Many people have
noticed that Tara still appears injured and had to limit her jumps in
practice but has also noticed that she was training hard. I am not
exactly sure what "reached an agreement" means, but she could have
probably used her injury as an excuse.

Dave Amorde

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

Podium99 wrote in message <19981006200017...@ng106.aol.com>...

>>"But in the next couple of months -- while eligible skaters prepare for
the
>>competitive season -- Lipinski, 16, will be taping four prime-time
specials
>>for
>>CBS and rehearsing for an appearance on the TV show "Touched By An Angel."
>>
>>the rest of the article is at:
>>http://www.freep.com/sports/pagetwo/qline3.htm
>>
>>Trish
>>
>> well if that is what she is goig to be doing i guess she should how
stayed
>amatuer . she will be waisting her talent for sure.

I wasn't of Tara's weight problem - tell me more? ;^)

-Dave-

Wayne Joy

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

SkateSand wrote:

> << I am not
> exactly sure what "reached an agreement" means, but she could have
> probably used her injury as an excuse.
> >>

> If they "didn't reach an agreement" because of Tara's injury, wouldn't her
> people have said so? It sounds more like a different issue is involved here.
> Money? Or maybe she didn't want to face Michelle?
>
> Laurie (ducking and running very, very fast!)

I meant that the reason they "didn't reach an agreement" wasn't that Tara didn't
train hard enough to be in competitive shape, and that they could have used used
the injury as an excuse for this particular event. I also said that I was not
sure what the reason that they "didn't reach an agreement" was.

Podium99

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

SkateSand

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

Podium99

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

>> well if that is what she is goig to be doing i guess she should how
>stayed
>>amatuer . she will be waisting her talent for sure.
>>>
>I wasn't of Tara's weight problem - tell me more? ;^)
>
>-Dave-

i wasn't of tara what kind of error is this . your in such a hurry to fiame
me you made a error your self

Podium99

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

>I wasn't of Tara's weight problem - tell me more? ;^)
>
>-Dave-

what more do you want to know? leave me alone uless you want trouble .if you
don't to reply normal to my posts then leave me alone . and i will leave you
alone .

Vespertine

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

ChuckieG writes:

<<Point. OK, if at least two of them are comps, that will be livable. Let's
just hope her injury does not preclude making the comps.>>

point? point? good grief. he used to snort all the time - and now he's
learned how to "point".

Virginia Blalock

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:34:13 -0400, Wayne Joy <wej...@rit.edu> wrote:

>> If they "didn't reach an agreement" because of Tara's injury, wouldn't her
>> people have said so? It sounds more like a different issue is involved here.
>> Money? Or maybe she didn't want to face Michelle?
>>
>> Laurie (ducking and running very, very fast!)
>

>I meant that the reason they "didn't reach an agreement" wasn't that Tara didn't
>train hard enough to be in competitive shape, and that they could have used used
>the injury as an excuse for this particular event. I also said that I was not

>sure what the reason that they "didn't reach an agreement" was.

I believe, though, that Tara "missed" the deadline to enroll for this
competition before her injury. However, she certainly could have used
injury as a legitimate excuse to forgo this event. However, the timing
did not work.

Virginia
Visit The Skating Rink
http://visions.simplenet.com/skate/index.html

MorryS

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

Virginia writes:

I believe, though, that Tara "missed" the deadline to enroll for this
competition before her injury.

There was no deadline for Nice and Easy. ( Just a fact not an editorial.)

HILL JANET SWAN

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Podium99 <podi...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> well if that is what she is goig to be doing i guess she should how
>>stayed
>>>amatuer . she will be waisting her talent for sure.
>>>>
>>I wasn't of Tara's weight problem - tell me more? ;^)
>>
>>-Dave-
>>
> i wasn't of tara what kind of error is this . your in such a hurry to fiame
>me you made a error your self

Podium ....... Dave's response to your message was a JOKE (see the
"winking face" following it ... the ;^0 is a "winking face"). You
may have noticed that there has been a lot of light-hearted banter on the
newsgroup lately. You may also have noticed that it is not uncommon to
make a joke about a particularly funny typographical/spelling error
........ no matter who makes it. It happens that substituting "waist" for
"waste" IS one of those funny errors that people often joke about.

a FLAME is an unreasonable and personally insulting message. A FLAME
would have said something like "you unbelievable cretin, why don't you go
away until you learn how to spell". that's not what you got.

Making a JOKE about someone's inadvertent error is, in its way, a kind of
*friendly* thing to do. It assumes that you are "one of us" (whoever "us"
might be under the circumstances) -- that you are part of the group who
can appreciate a joke about not being perfect.

Considering the treatment your messages USED to receive (the
"dadaism" attack), I'd count Dave's little jest to be progress.

janet

Podium99

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

>Considering the treatment your messages USED to receive (the
>"dadaism" attack), I'd count Dave's little jest to be progress.
>
> janet

well i think a joke about my spelling errors is a little risky. i can spell
these words i just can't type them. i am going to be very calm and fit in some
how it will take a while. so apology to dave.I think he is very funny. what
is dadaism?

wechsl...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

trish....@bmc.org wrote:
> I haven't seen this article mentioned, so I thought I'd post the link. I
think
> we were all too busy ranting about Christine Brennan. The article ran Oct. 3,
> so I don't know how much longer it will be there.
>
> "But in the next couple of months -- while eligible skaters prepare for the
> competitive season -- Lipinski, 16, will be taping four prime-time specials
for
> CBS and rehearsing for an appearance on the TV show "Touched By An Angel."
>
> the rest of the article is at:
> http://www.freep.com/sports/pagetwo/qline3.htm

The first line of this story being "Tara's schedule won't quit." Does anybody
again wonder about the whole "more time with daddy" line????

> Trish

wechsl...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

pegl...@aol.comopcit (PegLewis) wrote:

> In article <361a338e...@news.bu.edu>, paob...@ix.netcom.com (Trish
> O'Brien) writes:
>
> >http://www.freep.com/sports/pagetwo/qline3.htm
>
> Thanks, Trish.
>
> Teasing: Oooh. it's on the sports page. I thought she was only giving
> interviews with entertainment reporters now, or is that an Urban Legend. (I
> know I read that here in RSSIF, but I never knew if it was jest or truth.)
>
> Serious, now:
> It says of her contract, "She was to skate in this weekend's U.S. Figure
> Skating Association pro-am in Daytona Beach, Fla., but her agent, Mike Burg,
> said she hasn't "reached an agreement" with the association regarding her
> participation in its events. Lipinski's CBS contract prevents her from skating

> in events televised on other networks for the next year."
>
> Okay.
>
> Yet she will appear on ESPN in the competition formerly known as "Legends."
>
> Right. Clear as mud.
>
> Peg, not enlightened in the least
>
> "This incredibly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard and if is
it
> doesn't matter."Ruddigore
> VisitTheAll-KwanNetwork @ http://members.aol.com/AllKwanNet/index.html
> VisitLjudmillia's text archive @ http://home.swbell.net/icedance/millia.htm
>
> Peg, your still trying to find logic (or truth) in statements from Mike Burg?
Next thing you know I'll hear your out looking for Atlantis ;-)

HILL JANET SWAN

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Podium99 <podi...@aol.com> wrote:

>>Considering the treatment your messages USED to receive (the
>>"dadaism" attack), I'd count Dave's little jest to be progress.

> well i think a joke about my spelling errors is a little risky. i can spell

>these words i just can't type them. i am going to be very calm and fit in some
>how it will take a while. so apology to dave.I think he is very funny. what
>is dadaism?

Remember a couple of weeks ago, when no matter what you put in a message,
someone would respond with a completely nonsensical nonsequitur?
"Dadaism" is the name of an artistic or literary movement "that sought the
discovery of authentic reality through the abolition of traditional
cultural and aesthetic forms by a technique of comic derision in which
irrationality, chance, and intuition were the guiding principles" (from
the American Heritage Dictionary) ...... it was the "comic derision" and
"irrationality" part that made me think that those responses were
"dadaist".

janet

Chuckg

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
wechsl...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<6vg7cc$u09$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>The first line of this story being "Tara's schedule won't quit." Does
anybody
>again wonder about the whole "more time with daddy" line????

Well, either they're:

a) "striking while the iron is hot" (IOW, making sure Tara's first year
as a pro misses no opportunities, even if the second and hereafter years
will be more sedate)

or b) The amount of time Tara's father spent with Tara when she was an
eligible was *really* small.

--
Chuckg

gnus...@sisna.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

> Podium99 <podi...@aol.com> wrote:

> "Dadaism" is the name of an artistic or literary movement "that sought the
> discovery of authentic reality through the abolition of traditional
> cultural and aesthetic forms by a technique of comic derision in which
> irrationality, chance, and intuition were the guiding principles" (from
> the American Heritage Dictionary) ...... it was the "comic derision" and
> "irrationality" part that made me think that those responses were
> "dadaist".
>
> janet
> --

Is that where VW got the idea for their spot - "Dah Dah Dah" ?

Eda Tseinyev

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
PegLewis wrote:

> Two of them, at least, are competitions, are they not? Ice wars and the Great
> Eight thingie?

Unless there are two very similar competitions, "The Great Eight" has
been renamed to something slightly less atrocious (Elite Eight, I
think?)

Eda
tsei...@geocities.com

PegLewis

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

In article <361B7C...@geocities.com>, Eda Tseinyev <tsei...@geocities.com>
writes:

Indeed? I was using her CBS-deal-announcement AP article as reference, hence
the apparently out of date title. Thanks for the information.

Peg

Eda Tseinyev

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
PegLewis wrote:

> >Unless there are two very similar competitions, "The Great Eight" has
> >been renamed to something slightly less atrocious (Elite Eight, I
> >think?)
>
> Indeed? I was using her CBS-deal-announcement AP article as reference, hence
> the apparently out of date title. Thanks for the information.

I figured out where I found the info - the Blades on Ice Competitions
page. I don't know if this is the same event or not, but this was the
listing for Elite Eight:

Elite Eight Ladies [Professional - Jefferson-Pilot]
December, 1998
Eight ladies compete in a single elimination style competition
Location: Ft. Meyers, Florida
TV: CBS in January
Format: Begins with a single elimination style competition, eight of the
best ladies skaters will compete for prize
money only. Judged by professional judges, eight ladies will skate one
program and four will advance. The final
four will skate another program, and two will advance to the "big money"
round. The two finalists will skate
head-to-head for the championship.

Eda
tsei...@geocities.com