"Tara's Mom Taints Olympians' Day" - Colorado Gazette

OperettaJK

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:

http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html

It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White House
ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my daughter!"

Something Jay Leno would add:

"President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have nothing to
do with her daughter.'" :-)

Seriously, I know many people, especially Chuck, are very concerned about who
selected Michelle. How about this theory: It could be both the result of a vote
AND a USOC decision. The chain of events could happen like this:

1. The Olympics athletes voted not long after the Olympics (at about the same
time the White House visit schedule was set) for their representative. Picabo
Street came in first and Michelle came in second.

2. Picabo Street informed the USOC ten days ago that she couldn't make it to
DC.

3. The USOC was scrambling to find a replacement since there's never a
precedent that the highest vote-getter couldn't make it. They knew Michelle
came in second, but they also considered whether they should find someone with
seniority, or a gold medalist, or someone who will compete in Salt Lake City
since they knew President Clinton would emphasize the SLC Game in his speech.

4. The USOC decided on Michelle, not only because she came in second in the
vote, but also because she has a reputation for being poised and articulate.
Plus, she will compete in SLC.

5. Since she's the second highest vote-getter, the USOC thought other Olympians
would have no problems with it. Since the USOC never informed all federations
and athletes in advance before, they didn't think about doing so this time
either. They never considered Pat Lipinski though. That's why they were stunned
when Pat Lipinski threw a fit at the White House.

This version will make all statements, President Clinton's, Morry's, the USOC's
and etc., fit nicely. It certainly makes more sense than all the conspiracy
theories.

Jas

Kaiju

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

OperettaJK wrote:

> Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
>
> http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html

The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>

> It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White House
> ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my daughter!"

No! Tell me it ain't true!

> Something Jay Leno would add:
>
> "President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have nothing to
> do with her daughter.'" :-)

He didn't really say this, did he? LOL!

Kaiju

PegLewis

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

From: Kaiju <ka...@NOSPAM.ecn.com>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 01:38:08 -0700

OperettaJK wrote:

> Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
>
> http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html

The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>

"A Walkon Walks Tall for Irish" is there now. If anyone grabbed the text for
this article, I would be ever so grateful to receive a copy of it. Thanks

Peg

Andrew Starr

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98
to Kaiju

the "To" and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

In article <354ADB70...@NOSPAM.ecn.com>, Kaiju
<ka...@NOSPAM.ecn.com> wrote:

> OperettaJK wrote:
> >
> > Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
> >
> > http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
>
> The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>

<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/upi/story.html?s=n/upi/98/04/30/wa
shington_dateline_general_news/usolyclin_1.html>

is a *short* paragraph about it.
Looking for more.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Starr <ats...@negia.net> E-mail after May 11 for new site info.
Eudora Info: <http://www.ka.net/eudora> FAQs: <http://www.faqs.org/faqs>

Dasha

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

On 2 May 1998 07:53:38 GMT, opere...@aol.com (OperettaJK) wrote:

>It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White House
>ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my daughter!"
>

>Something Jay Leno would add:
>
>"President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have nothing to
>do with her daughter.'" :-)

Hehehe!

>either. They never considered Pat Lipinski though. That's why they were stunned
>when Pat Lipinski threw a fit at the White House.

Nor should they have. Just because Tata won the gold medal in figure
skating does not mean that she was entitled to present the team
jacket.

>This version will make all statements, President Clinton's, Morry's, the USOC's
>and etc., fit nicely. It certainly makes more sense than all the conspiracy
>theories.

Call agents Mulder and Scully!

Dasha

Dsricketts

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

>> The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>
>
><http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/upi/story.html?s=n/upi/98/04/30/wa
>shington_dateline_general_news/usolyclin_1.html>
>
>is a *short* paragraph about it.
>Looking for more.

Can't find the store at the new url either

Deirdre

Chuckg

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

OperettaJK wrote in message <199805020753...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
>
>http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
>

>It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White House
>ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my daughter!"
>
>Something Jay Leno would add:
>
>"President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have nothing to
>do with her daughter.'" :-)
>

>Seriously, I know many people, especially Chuck, are very concerned about who
>selected Michelle. How about this theory: It could be both the result of a vote
>AND a USOC decision. The chain of events could happen like this:
>
>1. The Olympics athletes voted not long after the Olympics (at about the same
>time the White House visit schedule was set) for their representative. Picabo
>Street came in first and Michelle came in second.

<snip>

>This version will make all statements, President Clinton's, Morry's

No, it *won't* fit Morry's... because Morry's statement was that the vote is
always taken after the athletes arrive in Washington.

>, the USOC's and etc., fit nicely. It certainly makes more sense than all the
conspiracy
>theories.

Except for the one fact that your theory completely disregards Morry's own
statement about *when* the vote is taken, yes your theory would. But that one
fact is on the record, so it doesn't.

--
Chuckg

DayDrm999

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

****Except for the one fact that your theory completely disregards Morry's own

statement about *when* the vote is taken, yes your theory would. But that one
fact is on the record, so it doesn't.*****

Morry also said that the USFSA isn't even involved in putting this together.
So it's not like he would have all the facts, anyway. As a matter of fact, had
Picabo been able to make it, the USFSA woudn't have had a reason to even care.
IMO they were dragged into it by Pat Lipinski. So in that sense, Jas's theory
does make sense, to me anyways.

~Formerly Tmann57605. If you sent e-mail to that screenname today, send it
again. I didn't get it. Thanks.~

Sk8Maven

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

>[T]he Colorado Gazette [URL no longer functional] said Pat Lipinski
> was so upset that she was crying during the White House
> ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my
> daughter!"

Oh boy. She's really flipped out. Call the men in the white coats.

Maven

Sum

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Kaiju wrote:

> OperettaJK wrote:
> >
> > Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
> >
> > http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
>
> The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>

Here it is, in the archives:

http://www.gazette.com/archive/98-05-01/spts3.html

Steve

tricia

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98
to PegLewis

Hi,

The article is now in the archives at:

http://www.gazette.com/archive/98-05-01/spts3.html

Trish

PegLewis wrote:

> From: Kaiju <ka...@NOSPAM.ecn.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 01:38:08 -0700
>

> OperettaJK wrote:
> >
> > Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
> >
> > http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
>
> The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>

Kaiju

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Sum wrote:

> Kaiju wrote:
> >
> > OperettaJK wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
> > >
> > > http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
> >
> > The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>
>
> Here it is, in the archives:
>
> http://www.gazette.com/archive/98-05-01/spts3.html

Thanks, Steve!!!

Very interesting turn of events.

And for those who still think there is an anti-Tara conspiracy, it appears
Tara wouldn't have been considered regardless. Oh, well.

Kaiju

OperettaJK

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Okay, here is an excerpt:

***************************************
Tara's mom taints Olympians' big day

By Mike Spence/ The Gazette

Visiting the White House was meant to be a happy occasion for U.S. athletes
celebrating their performances at the 1998 Winter Olympics. Instead, the event
Wednesday was upstaged by Pat Lipinski, mother of women's figure-skating gold
medalist Tara Lipinski. Pat Lipinski was visibly upset when Michelle Kwan, who
finished second to her daughter, was chosen to present a team jacket to
President Clinton.

"Don't you think it's a terrible thing for them to do to poor Tara?" Pat
Lipinski said,
blaming the U.S. Olympic Committee for the perceived slight. "It's been like
this for
poor Tara," said Pat Lipinski, who was seen crying during the ceremony. "It's a
terrible thing." Later, Pat Lipinski was observed shouting to reporters:
"They've ruined my daughter." ......

USOC officials were frustrated by the outburst because it stole attention from
the
athletes. "That was one of the main reasons why we didn't invite the U.S. men's
hockey team to the reception," Moran said. "We wanted the attention to be
focused on our athletes and their great performances."

Kaiju wrote:

>> It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White

>House ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my
>daughter!"
>

>No! Tell me it ain't true!

Unfortunately, it's true.

>> Something Jay Leno would add:
>>
>> "President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have
>nothing to do with her daughter.'" :-)
>

>He didn't really say this, did he? LOL!

Not sure whether you meant Leno or Clinton. :-) No, neither one said it. I did.
I just felt Mrs. L's statement begs for a Leno line like that. :-)

Jas

OperettaJK

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <354b2...@news6.kcdata.com>, "Chuckg" <cgla...@hotmail.com>
writes:

>Except for the one fact that your theory completely disregards Morry's own
>statement about *when* the vote is taken, yes your theory would. But that
>one fact is on the record, so it doesn't.

But Morry meant the vote was taken after the team got to DC in "1992". He's not
the team leader this time and he might not know the exact time the vote was
taken THIS time.

Jas

Kaiju

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

OperettaJK wrote:

> Okay, here is an excerpt:

<snip excerpt>

Thanks, Jas. I got the actual article now. I guess when I checked last
night, it hadn't made the archives quite yet.

> Kaiju wrote:
>
> >> It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White
> >House ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my
> >daughter!"
> >
> >No! Tell me it ain't true!
>
> Unfortunately, it's true.

YIKES! Talk about the drama queen syndrome!

> >> Something Jay Leno would add:
> >>
> >> "President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have
> >nothing to do with her daughter.'" :-)
> >
> >He didn't really say this, did he? LOL!
>
> Not sure whether you meant Leno or Clinton. :-) No, neither one said it. I did.
> I just felt Mrs. L's statement begs for a Leno line like that. :-)

I'm glad of that. Especially Clinton! Whew!! It *was* a funny line,
incidentally!

Kaiju

Marlene A Koenig

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Chuck -- it is entirely plausible that when the athletes voted - they
voted for Picabo for a symbolic choice --
even knowing that she would not be there - but at least she would
know was the first choice
--
and author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
published by Rosvall Royal Books

P. D. Goldberg

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Here's the URL for the Archived story:

http://www.gazette.com/archive/98-05-01/spts3.html

Pat

Kaiju wrote:

> OperettaJK wrote:
> >
> > Here's the URL for the Colorado Gazette's article:
> >
> > http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts3.html
>
> The story is gone, Jas. I can't find it in the archives. <sigh>
>

> > It said Pat Lipinski was so upset that she was crying during the White House
> > ceremony and shouted to a reporter afterwards: "They've ruined my daughter!"
>
> No! Tell me it ain't true!
>

> > Something Jay Leno would add:
> >
> > "President Clinton heard the commotion and immediately said: 'I have nothing to
> > do with her daughter.'" :-)
>
> He didn't really say this, did he? LOL!
>

> Kaiju

Vespertine

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

<<. "It's been like this for poor Tara," said Pat Lipinski, who was seen crying
during the ceremony. "It's a terrible thing." Later, Pat Lipinski was observed
shouting to reporters: "They've ruined my daughter." ......

Good grief. It sounds like this woman was intoxicated or is having a mental
breakdown.. This type of histrionic behavior is not normal. Pat, get some
help.

Chuckg

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

DayDrm999 wrote in message <199805021615...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>****Except for the one fact that your theory completely disregards Morry's own

>statement about *when* the vote is taken, yes your theory would. But that one

>fact is on the record, so it doesn't.*****
>
>Morry also said that the USFSA isn't even involved in putting this together.
>So it's not like he would have all the facts, anyway.

Morry also said that he was USFSA Team Leader in 1992, just like James Disbrow
was in 1998, and was thoroughly familiar with the standard operating procedure.

I love the way that Morry is a credible source when you are using his data, but
an unknowledgable one when I am using it.

> As a matter of fact, had Picabo been able to make it, the USFSA woudn't have
had a reason to even care.

And if Picabo had been able to make it, the votes for her would have all made
sense, in which case *I* wouldn't
care, so why bring it up?
--
Chuckg

Chuckg

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

OperettaJK wrote in message <199805022240...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>In article <354b2...@news6.kcdata.com>, "Chuckg" <cgla...@hotmail.com>
>writes:
>

>>Except for the one fact that your theory completely disregards Morry's own
>>statement about *when* the vote is taken, yes your theory would. But that

>>one fact is on the record, so it doesn't.
>
>But Morry meant the vote was taken after the team got to DC in "1992". He's not
>the team leader this time

No, James Disbrow was. Mr. Disbrow reports back to?

Also, Mr. Disbrow said that he didn't know who it was until the day it happened,
which kind of rules out an earlier vote too.

>and he might not know the exact time the vote was taken THIS time.

[From Morry's post]
===
[I said and TCAxel quoted}
>>>because the USOC made neither who they had selected or the criteria
>>>for her selection actually known until after everyone had arrived at the
White0
>>>House.
>>>Talking about showing up and getting sandbagged

[Morry said]
>The methode is not new. This was the system followed in 92 when I was USFSA
>Team Leader. The vote is not taken until the athletes arrive in Washington

===

If that isn't an acknowledgement to my positing that the vote wasn't taken until
after they arrived in DC last week, then what was it?
--
Chuckg

Chuckg

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

OperettaJK wrote in message <199805022240...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>***************************************

<snip?

>Later, Pat Lipinski was observed shouting to reporters: "They've ruined my
daughter." ......

That definitely qualifies as losing your composure in public.

(sigh).

Mrs. Lipinski, why did you do that?
--
Chuckg

PegLewis

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 15:42:22 GMT

ChuckG wrote:
That definitely qualifies as losing your composure in public.
(sigh).
Mrs. Lipinski, why did you do that?

Warbirds wrote:
I don't think Pat shouted "they've ruined my daughter". Some Tara
hater just made that up. If you believe she said that then Michelle
Kwan is a crack whore.

Peg replies now:
Warbirds, when are you going to stop emulating Pat Lipinski and think before
you post? Go to the following URL and read for yourself:
"Tara's Mom Taints Olympians' Day" - Colorado Springs Gazette
http://www.gazette.com/archive/98-05-01/spts3.html

The reporter's name is Mike Spence, and I have exchanged e-mail with him. He
kindly explained to me how the position of jacket-selector was made in a
manner that indicated he knows what he is talking about.

From the article:

"Later, Pat Lipinski was observed shouting to reporters: 'They've ruined my

daughter.'

When approached later by a reporter, Tara Lipinski refused to answer
questions."

There is far more of interest in the article, including the selection process.
I don't think this man has a Tara-hating agenda. Please read his article, and
even call or write him, as the phone number and e-mail address are included at
the bottom of the article. Then come back and apologize, if you're the kind of
person who feels bad about looking foolish. Or not. It's up to you.

Now, I'd really like to know what Pat Lipinski meant by that comment. Who are
"they"? The USOC? The people who persuaded her to go pro and take her out of
the running for even being considered as jacket-presenter?

How has Tara been "ruined?" That I *really* can't fathom.

Warbirds, I'm also deeply offended, as a human being and a female, in addition
to being a fan of said skater, that you would describe anyone even jokingly as
a "crack whore." You have a way with words.

Peg

Chuckg

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

RJ wrote in message ...

>I don't think Pat shouted "they've ruined my daughter". Some Tara
>hater just made that up.

Not unless Mr. Spence, a reporter for the Colorado _Gazette_, made it up -- and
wrote it in a newspaper.

Sorry, RJ, but it looks like she actually did do that.

>If you believe she said that then Michelle Kwan is a crack whore.

And you taking the absolute LAST thing that this thread needed -- Michelle Kwan
bashing -- and dropping it right into it.

Are you trying to support this thread or sabotage it?
--
Chuckg

Revjoelle

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Peg:

>Now, I'd really like to know what Pat Lipinski meant by that comment. Who are
"they"? The USOC? The people who persuaded her to go pro and take her out of
the running for even being considered as jacket-presenter?

I don't think even Pat knows for sure what she meant. I think she really is
emotionally unstable and trying to find meaning in her words is going to be
impossible.

I also think (and though I am responding to Peg I am not saying she has done it
because she has not) that berating, insulting, and ridiculing Pat Lipinski
serves no valuable pupose here. If she is a bad person then insulting her
brings you down to her level. If she is an unwell person--then ridiculing her
is really kind of low.

>Warbirds, I'm also deeply offended, as a human being and a >female, in
addition to being a fan of said skater, that you would >describe anyone even
jokingly as a "crack whore." You have a >way with words

Yea he really hit a new low with that one.

Joelle
"God must have a sense of humor." Kitty Carruthers.

Tee

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

It should be obvious by now. Its what Richard resorts
to. Poor Tara.

BTW care to share some rubberstamps anytime soon?

Tee

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

PegLewis wrote:

> There is far more of interest in the article, including the selection process.
> I don't think this man has a Tara-hating agenda. Please read his article, and
> even call or write him, as the phone number and e-mail address are included at
> the bottom of the article. Then come back and apologize, if you're the kind of
> person who feels bad about looking foolish.

*scoff* apologize?? Richard? He has pretty much proven
he is incapable of it. He'd rather run away from
it than own up to anything wrong he has done.

>Or not. It's up to you.

> Now, I'd really like to know what Pat Lipinski meant by that comment. Who are
> "they"? The USOC? The people who persuaded her to go pro and take her out of
> the running for even being considered as jacket-presenter?
>

> How has Tara been "ruined?" That I *really* can't fathom.
>

> Warbirds, I'm also deeply offended, as a human being and a female, in addition
> to being a fan of said skater, that you would describe anyone even jokingly as

> a "crack whore." You have a way with words.
>
> Peg

He sure does. He has a way with e-mail too.

As well as flying and rubberstamping.

Just another foulmouthed fan who has chosen a role model he cannot even
begin to try and emulate the good qualities of.

<sorry, but still PO'ed over something dastardly and refuses to
take this to email>

APeter5471

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

>Since the USOC never informed all federations
>and athletes in advance before, they didn't think about doing so this time

>either. They never considered Pat Lipinski though. That's why they were
>stunned
>when Pat Lipinski threw a fit at the White House.

One would have no reason to suspect that an adult would behave the way that
Mrs. Lipinski did... Your theory makes sense to me, BTW...

JennWa1234

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

You know, really, the USOC and USFSA really don't owe any athlete's parent any
explanation as to who and why one athlete is chosen to represent the others at
an official event.
Jennifer

Virginia Blalock

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

On Sun, 03 May 1998 15:42:22 GMT, RCWar...@nospam.hotmail.com (RJ)
wrote:

>On Sun, 3 May 1998 09:48:55 -0500, "Chuckg" <cgla...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>OperettaJK wrote in message <199805022240...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>>>***************************************
>>
>><snip?
>>>Later, Pat Lipinski was observed shouting to reporters: "They've ruined my
>>daughter." ......
>>
>>That definitely qualifies as losing your composure in public.
>>
>>(sigh).
>>
>>Mrs. Lipinski, why did you do that?
>
>I don't think Pat shouted "they've ruined my daughter". Some Tara
>hater just made that up. If you believe she said that then Michelle

>Kwan is a crack whore.

The only problem with this(besides you stupid remark about Michelle)
is that a newspaper did credit Pat Lipinski with this quote. Of course
the quote could still be wrong, but no one here made it up.

Virginia
Visit my skating page:
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/9508

TReed028

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98
></PRE></HTML>

Exactly! Thank you, Jennifer. :-)

Tracy

PosterBoy

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

TReed028 wrote in message
<199805040447...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Are you both suggesting that USFSA should NOT be responsible to its
members?

Thoughtful.

Dan

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

But Tara's not a USFSA member anymore, and Pat never was.

Dan

Mary Swim

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

vespe...@aol.com (Vespertine) wrote:

><<. "It's been like this for poor Tara," said Pat Lipinski, who was seen crying

>during the ceremony. "It's a terrible thing." Later, Pat Lipinski was observed

>shouting to reporters: "They've ruined my daughter." ......
>>>

> Good grief. It sounds like this woman was intoxicated or is having a mental

>breakdown.. This type of histrionic behavior is not normal. Pat, get some
>help.

It does make you wonder if she is having some sort of problem;
cracking under the pressure. Maybe this is part of the reason for
Tara deciding to go pro, "for the sake of her parents".

PosterBoy

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

Dan wrote in message <354D8263...@SPAMLESSoberlin.edu>...

Okay, Dan, fair enough.
However, I have a couple of questions:

1. When did Tara cease to be a member? (I do not believe that
turning pro precludes membership. True? Anyone?)
2. How do you KNOW Pat "never was?"

Thanks, in advance and
Cheers.

JennWa1234

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

You know, really, the USOC and USFSA really don't owe any athlete's parent
>>any
>>explanation as to who and why one athlete is chosen to represent the
others
>>at
>>an official event.
>>Jennifer
>
>Exactly! Thank you, Jennifer. :-)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Poster boy writes," Are you both suggesting that USFSA should NOT be
responsible to its members?
"<<<<<<

The USFSA has been responsible to its members and specifically, to the subject
of this thead, Tara. It does not, however, owe explanations to any skater or
their parents as to why one athlete is chosen over others as a representative
of a group at a presentation of this sort. It is ridiculous to assume
otherwise.
Jennifer

JennWa1234

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

But Tara's not a USFSA member anymore, and Pat never was.<<

This is true. The USFSA does not have any more responsibility towards Tara or
her camp. They did not at the time of the presentation either since Tara has
turned pro... though responsibility did not seem to be a factor here anyway.
Jennifer

Revjoelle

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

>>But Tara's not a USFSA member anymore, and Pat never was.

> 1. When did Tara cease to be a member? (I do not believe that

>turning pro precludes membership. True? Anyone?)

That's a good question. Certainly coaches are members of the USFSA? Seems to
me if you pays your money--you are a member.

HILL JANET SWAN

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Dan <sdc...@SPAMLESSoberlin.edu> wrote:

>But Tara's not a USFSA member anymore, and Pat never was.

Tara's membership year runs through August, just as mine does, and just as
does the membership of everyone else who has paid dues to USFSA. whether
she joins next year or not is entirely up to her.

You do not have to be an eligible skater to belong to USFSA, and you do
not surrender your membership if you engage in a "non-eligible" activity.

All that you lose when you "go pro" is the ability to compete in USFSA
sanctioned competitions.

We don't know whether Pat Lipinski was ever a USFSA member. all we know
is that Morry says she isn't a member NOW.

janet
pedant on patrol

Lee

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <6in87t$n...@peabody.colorado.edu>#1/1,

hil...@spot.colorado.edu (HILL JANET SWAN) wrote:

> Tara's membership year runs through August, just as mine does, and just as
> does the membership of everyone else who has paid dues to USFSA. whether
> she joins next year or not is entirely up to her.
>
> You do not have to be an eligible skater to belong to USFSA, and you do
> not surrender your membership if you engage in a "non-eligible" activity.
>
> All that you lose when you "go pro" is the ability to compete in USFSA
> sanctioned competitions.

This differs somewhat in Canada. Here, all 'eligible' persons are "associate"
members of the CFSA, and all Associate Members must be 'eligible' persons.
There are also "Coaching" members, "Sustaining" members (has no vote and is
deemed by the Board of Directors to be advantageous to the promotion of
skating), "Honorary" members (someone who has render 'long and meritorious
service' to the association), "Individual" members ('elected' as such at the
national AGM -- may vote and carry proxies), and "Friends of Skating" members
(no vote nor membership in *a* club...purely exists for those interested in
the sport and wanting to receive mailings, etc).

All skaters, executive, judges and accountants are Associate Members. There is
no list of Sustaining Members in the current rulebook, however the following
are listed as Honorary Members (living ones only listed here): DS Beatty, Jean
Dussault, Douglas Gunter, JA McKechnie, Patrick Sharp, Dr. Sidney Soanes. Here
are some of the Individual Members of note: Sandra Bezic, Kurt Browning, David
Dore, Johnny Esaw, Tracy Wilson. These people are members mostly due to their
position on the boards of the Hall of Fame Trust and the Athlete Trust. Some,
like Johnny Esaw, are members due to their long-standing relationship and
promotion of CFSA activities.

Lee