Boston Marathon

Dom N

May 29, 2006, 7:28:33 AM5/29/06
I am considering doing Boston Marathon later this year with some
friends from university. I was wondering if anyone else had done it
before (I did it 2 years ago in a not very good 4x) and actually
trained properly for it. What sort of training did you do for it? We
were thinking mainly of long, low rate ergos at UT2/UT1 and then a week
of training together in the boat, doing longer and longer outings until
we hit about 40km. After that we thought we should be able to push
beyond the 40km to the full distance of 50km on the actual day. Also,
what have other people done about taking in food along the way? Thanks

Dom

Christopher Anton

May 29, 2006, 8:33:49 AM5/29/06
"Dom N" <domni...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Also,
> what have other people done about taking in food along the way? Thanks

I've only done it once in a S44+. They filled my compartment with food and
drink (I was the cox) which meant that I couldn't move! There were regular
meal breaks 2on/2off at a time so we never stopped rowing apart from the
lock portage.

Alasdhair Johnston

May 29, 2006, 10:11:05 AM5/29/06
I've done it more times than I care to remember, mainly in the single, =6th
overall in 1999 was probably my best result.

Training wise, I did mostly UT2 in the boat with outings in the 1 - 1 1/2
hour range, although I'd try to do a 2 - 2 1/2 hour piece about a week or so
before. On the erg I'd do 20 or 25k UT2s 10k UT1s and every week or so a 1
hour piece aiming to cover as much distance as I could.

During the race I just took liquids, either Hi-5 and Hydroplus (2 hours in I
could tell I needed it, as that was the only time I could stand the taste of
the stuff) or SSI's "Go" - something that contains electrolytes is
essential, as life gets extremely uncomfortable and slow when you run out.
I'd go non-stop to Bardney, swig about 0.7 - 1L at the portage, then have
about 2 stops thereafter.

Alistair Groves

May 29, 2006, 11:50:46 AM5/29/06
I'm tempted to enter in a single. I don't think it will be too hard,
having done several 26k sculls without any discomfort. Am I being really
stupid or is the leap up to 50k that drastic?

Obviously if I intended to do well and have a chance at winning I'd have
to put in some serious training. But otherwise is it really that big a deal?

Alistair

Pete King

May 29, 2006, 3:45:01 PM5/29/06
I did it last year in a single, my time was just under 4 hours.

My training was a mix of long ergs and water work. My longest erg was
42k and my longest water was 3 hours. (average sesison on land and
water was a 2 hour piece.
) I don't think that there's much point in going further as it isn't
the fitness that becomes limiting after 3 hours it's your behind!

Don't bother with food. I took just sports drinks, but should have
taken more and should have taken water. I drank 8l of water during and
after the race before I needed my first pee.

My stop strategy was 10 seconds every 15 minutes. I passed a lot of
people who were on longer stops; why bother letting your boat stop? And
it's very hard to get going again after a stop.

You should consider the first hour to the lock as a fast piece and then
pace it from there in. I averaged 2:18 to the lock and 2:21 after.

I raised £1700 for special care babies, so consider doing it for
charity.

ng...@aol.com

May 30, 2006, 4:26:10 AM5/30/06
I've done it the last three years with varying results, less to do with
training than the race itself. The longest outings I did were about 100
minutes steady state (I couldn't take more than that on the Cam) which
I was doing a couple of times a week (except last year, when I was
working abroad for the summer and only had weekends).
The main difference for me between 2003 (when I cramped up really
badly, to the extent I couldn't use my legs for the last 8k or so) and
2004 (when I got in comfortably under 4 hours) was that in the latter
case I took some of those disgusting gel things that cyclists use and
tried not to gag as I squeezed one down, which seemed to work. Stops
were at the lock, then each 9 k thereafter, which made 4 in all. In a
single, even with opening the gel sachets, there's no real need to be
more than 15 sec between stopping and starting again - any more than
that and you start to seize up.
The biggest annoyance I found if you're doing it unsupported is that
you spend the first hour staring at a gigantic bottle of water which
you're pulling along and not going to use till after the lock. It would
be much nicer to have a friendly soul to hand it to you at Bardney. Oh,
and take the friendly soul to the finish as well - if you drop your
spanner on the ground there's no way you're going to be able to bend
down and pick it up.
Probably going to do it again this year - I'd be devastated if I missed
the year when there's a gentle tail wind over the whole course!

CM

May 30, 2006, 5:31:43 AM5/30/06
I did it last year for the first time entered in novice double, really
wasn't an easy race. As far as training was concerned we were doing 12km
daily outings building upto two 12km outings as we got closer to the race.
In the final week we had near complete rest with gentle outings at the end
of the week. We didn't actually do any training on ergs as our Uni coach
doesn't think there's any substitute for actual water work.
For refreshments along the way i had a camal back with water, a couple of
the gel based energy drink packs, and some bananas, The plan was to each
take a break as the other continued to row, but this proved to be more
difficult then first thought and we only managed one break each.
Ended up winning our event in a time of 4:09 and are considering coming back
this year to beat that!

Hope to see you lot there

Johan Helmer
University of Kent Rowing Club

Alistair Groves

May 30, 2006, 6:36:55 AM5/30/06
I was wondering about a camelback. Did it rub at all?

Cheers,

Alistair

Jake

May 30, 2006, 6:41:07 AM5/30/06
Did it last year in a coastal single scull, which I think must be about
the slowest boat they'll let you do it in! I was going for the course
record for that boat type, so went for a no stop strategy, and ran over
the lock. For this, Camelback was absolutely fundamental, and a three
litre one still had a small amount left at the end. I used, on the
recomendation of Science in Sport a mix of two parts PSP22 to 1 part GO
electrolyte, which both kept the gas tank full, and replaced
electrolytes. A lot of people stopped to eat once they had crossed the
lock, it took a long time for some of these, even the quads and doubles
to row through me again, so if you're serious about getting a decent
time, don't stop for anything. Make sure you train a couple of times
with the Camelback before hand as it takes a bit of messing to get the
mouthpiece in such a position that a drink can be taken without letting
go of a handles, and 3 kgs of liquid sloshing about does slightly
interfere with balance. I had been training earlier in the summer for a
circumnavigation attempt of the Isle of Wight, so had done some very
long pieces (up to 5.5 hrs) non-stop in open water, after that 31 miles
in flat water was a refreshing relief. So it didn't interfere too much
with other training, I just made my weekly UT2 piece during the summer,
a long row. I wouldn't entertain doing it in a single without an Ipod
with some decent tunes on it, but it's debateable whether that's dodgy
when it comes to water safety, although nobody said anything and a lot
of the crewed boats carry a radio.
I also took a speedcoach, the impeller of which systematically weeded
up, underestimating my speed, forcing me to go harder and harder as the
race progressed. In the end, desprately trying to keep my splits, which
in reality meant I was going a knot and a half too fast and way out of
my heartrate limit, caused me to blow up with about 2 miles to go. The
last 2 miles was complete misery, counting out 20 strokes at a time,
then stopping, as the time mercilessly clocked up towards record time.
In hindsight, I would have taken the impeller off and instead used the
guide times from the Marathon website to guage my progress.
I had weed problems a couple of years before in a river single which
had a damaged fin, sticking slightly proud at the front like a hook,
causing it to pick up big clods of weed. Had to completely stop and
back down and waggle the stern about to get the weed off, which every
couple of minutes had formed a lump around the fin the size of a human
head, that was even more of a slog!
So worth checking there's nothing underneath that could pick anything
up!

carol...@aol.com

May 30, 2006, 7:12:28 AM5/30/06
I did it once in a single. I'd been training regularly over about 30
km but the extra 20 km was a killer! My advice:

1. Take plenty of liquids, both water and sports drinks. I took food
but couldn't face eating anything. However I did get dehydrated which
caused muscle cramps.
2. Take a seat pad.
3. Wear gloves unless you have really hard hands. Take some
Micropore tape just in case.

Also, it's a really, really boring stretch of water. I wished I'd had
a radio.

Caroline

Steven M-M

May 30, 2006, 9:24:24 AM5/30/06

I've never raced 50k but rowed a 42.3k marathon here in the USA a
number of times. My thoughts:

-- Do enough distance work to find your own pace. Whether you finish
first or last, distance events are personal. The pace may feel
unbelievably slow at first, comfortable in the middle, and hard to
sustain towards the end. For me, I like to be able to finish the last
5k strong.

-- Try to find a stroke rate and speed that emphasizes efficiency, i.e.
least effort per meter.

-- I don't stop. I prefer water bottles to camel back: you have to
pause to place the nipple in your mouth and then suck rather hard. I
can take a hard stroke or two, pause, get 3-4 gulps from a water
bottle, and start up again before my single comes to a standstill.

-- I use a sports drink that includes a small amount of soy protein
(7:1 carbs to protein) to avoid cannibalizing your own muscles. (You
don't want whey until after the race.) I also like a sports drink
that allows you to adjust the amount of electrolytes. Its good to work
out your water/fuel plan well before the race.

-- Somewhere between 70 and 90% done there is a dark place where
you've been rowing for a long time but don't yet feel the finish is
near. Getting through that dark place with grace is one of the
challenges of distance work. You never visit that place if you only do
training up to 30k, so just be prepared to get through it for the 42 or
50k distance.

Steven M-M

Ana

May 30, 2006, 10:09:16 AM5/30/06
We have the womens record, we didn't do any specific training except to
do a few 5km pieces at race pace, and to practise the drinking routine.

Equipment- Seat pad and white cotton gloves (try Boots) taped on at the
wrist to stop them coming off. Elec tape to tape gels etc. to handy
places in the boat. We tried to use a cd player with speakers but it
wasn't loud enough and it got wet!

Food and Hydration: we had lucozade gels and drinks every 30 minutes.
The drinks were the foil squeezy ones, we had half of one each stop,
and a gel sachet each stop. Break the seal on the drinks before you
start, it saves time, plus you need two hands to do it.

Fuelling and stops: The key to fuelling for this is to DEFINATELY take
on fuel and fluid early on in the race. After 30 minutes you feel fine
and don't want to stop to drink, but if you don't you will pay so
heavily later on. The only half-hourly break you have the option of
missing is the very last one. The other thing is they are NOT rest
stops, 30 seconds should be enough to get the stuff down your neck and
carry on. We were in a 4x and we practised taking a turn to drop out
one at a time. This is tricky in a 4x as you have to keep your blades
out of the way especially if you're in the middle of the boat. So you
keep one hand on both blades, pushing the handles right down so that
the spoons are high enough to clear the other scullers. The other hand
is free to drink and get the gel with, drop back in asap then it's the
next turn.

Pacing: In this type of race you don't want to be laying down the power
at rate 18- way too tiring! The most efficient way of creating speed
for a long period of time is to tap it along at about rate 26 but not
pulling very hard at all. Just be really loose and relaxed, you're
ratio will be bad but your efficiency will be good. Just think of when
you do long steady state ergos and how much easier it would be to pull
the same split if you could rate as high as you like. This is what you
need to exploit. But if you do a firmish 26 you'll die.

Ewoud Dronkert

May 30, 2006, 2:22:16 PM5/30/06
Ana <annabeb@etc> wrote:
> [stuff]

Woohoo! We have a replacement for Xeno :) Congrats on your impressive
world cup win. And your cover of "Roeien".

KC

May 30, 2006, 4:00:09 PM5/30/06

Ana wrote:
> Pacing: In this type of race you don't want to be laying down the power
> at rate 18- way too tiring! The most efficient way of creating speed
> for a long period of time is to tap it along at about rate 26 but not
> pulling very hard at all. Just be really loose and relaxed, you're
> ratio will be bad but your efficiency will be good. Just think of when
> you do long steady state ergos and how much easier it would be to pull
> the same split if you could rate as high as you like. This is what you
> need to exploit. But if you do a firmish 26 you'll die.

This sounds a lot like Carl's idea of varying the "gearing" of rowing
(although I still don't agree with that terminology for it).

Coincidentally, I tried this on a long-ish erg (30 mins) Sunday...
focused on a very quick recovery and a light drive. My rate was ~4
beats higher than I otherwise would have rated, with the same splits.

I still got really tired though. ;-)

-Kieran

Carl Douglas

May 30, 2006, 4:56:08 PM5/30/06

Glad you tried it.

But you can't hope to change the burned-in habits of a lifetime in 30
minutes. I'm sure that part of you was fighting the new rhythm, working
against it & causing a lot of energy wastage. It takes time & practice
to learn new tricks, especially when the reflexes are demanding you do
it the usual way.

When I did the Boston Marathon, many years back, I went over @ ~30spm &
relatively light. My one mistake, which nearly cost me the race, was to
set a realistic schedule & then get too far ahead of it in the first 10
miles. I felt great so I kept at it, assuming wrongly that I'd
underestimated my potential. What with than, & too little water (less
than 2 litres for the whole trip), the result was a nasty last 5 miles &
a massive slippage to well behind schedule. Luckily for me, the others
all went slower.

As regards stopping for breaks, my advice for long-distance events (my
longest was over 22 hours) would be a strong _don't_. You need to keep
your metabolism running undisturbed & to allow it to make its necessary
transitions over time. Stopping & restarting upsets that, & those
upsets impose irrecoverable costs.

Also, beware overdoing the energy drinks. It is easy to dehydrate when
your need is more for liquid than for calories.

A last point: that portage at the lock is a great place to make up time,
& if you can be smooth but fairly ruthless about keeping everything
moving across the island you'll both pass the opposition & keep your
metabolic rate up, so that when you hit the water it won't feel like
re-starting.

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

KC

May 30, 2006, 5:51:15 PM5/30/06

Carl Douglas wrote:
> KC wrote:
> > Ana wrote:
> >
> >>Pacing: In this type of race you don't want to be laying down the power
> >>at rate 18- way too tiring! The most efficient way of creating speed
> >>for a long period of time is to tap it along at about rate 26 but not
> >>pulling very hard at all. Just be really loose and relaxed, you're
> >>ratio will be bad but your efficiency will be good. Just think of when
> >>you do long steady state ergos and how much easier it would be to pull
> >>the same split if you could rate as high as you like. This is what you
> >>need to exploit. But if you do a firmish 26 you'll die.
> >

> > This sounds a lot like Carl's idea of varying the "gearing" of rowing
> > (although I still don't agree with that terminology for it).
> >
> > Coincidentally, I tried this on a long-ish erg (30 mins) Sunday...
> > focused on a very quick recovery and a light drive. My rate was ~4
> > beats higher than I otherwise would have rated, with the same splits.
> >
> > I still got really tired though. ;-)
> >

> Glad you tried it.
>
> But you can't hope to change the burned-in habits of a lifetime in 30
> minutes. I'm sure that part of you was fighting the new rhythm, working
> against it & causing a lot of energy wastage. It takes time & practice
> to learn new tricks, especially when the reflexes are demanding you do
> it the usual way.

It got me thinking though... I would argue that in a standard 2km race,
crews are rowing pretty close to the optimum for ratio and overall/net
power per stroke, especially when they "take it up" later in the race.
As their muscles fatigue, to maintain boat speed with less force of
muscular contraction available, we row at a higher rate, but a lower
ratio (i.e. rush the slide). The "sprint" in the last ~300m of a 2km
race rarely results in an increase in boat speed. Rather, the speed is
maintained despite fatigue and a less powerful drive-phase of the
stroke.

What I was trying to get at before (and I think I was unsuccessful)
when I mentioned the force-velocity relationship for muscle
contractions, had to do with the fact that a standard rowing race (i.e.
2km) is an all-out effort, really a long sprint. For a 50km race (how
long do those take, anyway?) it's much easier to play around with your
force per stroke, and adjust the recovery speed, etc. But when you ask
someone to go all out, they nearly always stay right on the maximum
force-velocity curve, and usually right around 30~40% of their maximum
isometric force (found to be the optimum point for power = FxV).

-Kieran

Ewoud Dronkert

May 31, 2006, 2:42:30 AM5/31/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:22:16 +0200, I wrote:
> Woohoo!

Sorry, on rereading I thought perhaps that might seem a little creepy.
Just good to know some elite rowers are still around. You know Jasmine
from Canada? She's here too once in a while. It's already quite a
contrast to the cycling group where only slow dumbasses hang out (so
that includes me).

--
E. Dronkert

david.h...@aea.be

May 31, 2006, 4:32:28 AM5/31/06
Anna, meet Ewoud. He's always like this. He'll be asking you for your
photograph next.

Rob Collings

May 31, 2006, 6:01:33 AM5/31/06

david.h...@aea.be wrote:
> Anna, meet Ewoud. He's always like this. He'll be asking you for your
> photograph next.

http://80.83.47.230/fiche_detail.fwx?no_id=21387 maybe?

Rob.

CM

May 31, 2006, 6:37:55 AM5/31/06
> I was wondering about a camelback. Did it rub at all?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alistair

Mine wasn't to bad, had fairly good padded straps and short sleave tech top
on, but imagine the cheaper ones might do some damage.

CM

May 31, 2006, 6:43:57 AM5/31/06
> I wouldn't entertain doing it in a single without an Ipod
> with some decent tunes on it, but it's debateable whether that's dodgy
> when it comes to water safety, although nobody said anything and a lot
> of the crewed boats carry a radio.

I duct taped a cheap silver radio infront of my stroke man and tuned it to
radio one. I had to control myself from singing towards the end cause it was
starting to break his spirits!

> I had weed problems a couple of years before in a river single which
> had a damaged fin, sticking slightly proud at the front like a hook,
> causing it to pick up big clods of weed. Had to completely stop and
> back down and waggle the stern about to get the weed off, which every
> couple of minutes had formed a lump around the fin the size of a human
> head, that was even more of a slog!

Had nearly forgot about the weeds last year, our fin wasn't fitted flush to
the boat and kept on snagging a lot of weed, we also had to back it down
several times to get going again, was a night mare!

tlog

May 31, 2006, 9:00:06 AM5/31/06

Hi Dom,
Long UT2 pieces with maybe a couple of 2 hour UT2s a couple of weeks
before and then some shorter stuff. Don't go out too mad at the start.
One problem that you should be aware of is Weed, in some parts of the
course it's everywhere and unfortunately the 2x we did it in last year
had a skeg ideal for catching the stuff. It's a bit like towing a
bucket behind. At one point we spent more time backing down to get rid
of it than rowing so have a good look at the design of fin before you
start.
I also managed to knacker a knee during the race. It was a borrowed
boat and one of the slides moved which meant I hit back stops each
stroke. Now this is bad enough for a short outing but a real B1tch for
the marathin and my right knee was in agony. We had to stop, get out
and beat the slide with a brick we found on the bank. mental note for
this year. Check all the equipment.
I hope to do it again this year in a single though.
Roger

Ana

May 31, 2006, 11:42:44 AM5/31/06

I'm embarrassed now! I managed to spell my name wrong when I made the
account then thought I may as well leave it, as I thought I could write
what I liked if no-one knew who I was! That's a really bad photo.
Please don't link to it. The magazine thing was a lot better!
This group often comes to the rescue at about 5pm, finished training
and boyfriend not back from work for another two hours, have to keep
myself out of mischief somehow :)

Carl Douglas

May 31, 2006, 1:52:49 PM5/31/06

Be warned, Ana - talking to Ewoud is no way for a nice girl to keep out
of mischief!

;)

PS Well rowed!

Rob

May 31, 2006, 3:54:21 PM5/31/06
Sorry, but can somebody describe this Boston Marathon? I think I read
all the postings just now, having realized it's not the running race.

1. Say goodbye to blisters, but there's more to this than just the
gloves! Put petroleum jelly on your hands, really a lot, and then put
the gloves on over them! If the top of the gloves is mesh, don't
worry! Your first hour or so will be less pleasant than it would have
been w/o gloves, but from then on you're going to love it. Evidently
this race has no required stops, but if you do stop, reapply the
vaseline.

We have a sport over here called baseball, and the players bat with
leather-palmed gloves for better grip. These are perfect. I don't
know if such gloves are available in the UK (do cricket players use
them too?), but XC ski gloves or golf gloves might do.

2. Consider the possibility that you may find a hard seat better than
a cushioned seat. I think the small areas of nerves just get numb with
a hard seat, whereas with any cushion I'm constantly hurting, leg going
to sleep etc.

3. Although this wasn't common knowledge in 1997 when I left triathlon
and bike racing, you burn protein after two hours. I guess. I've used
hammernutrition.com's Sustained Energy for ultra rows with good
results. The stuff tastes bland and chalky but after a few hours this
is just what you want. It has no fat or electrolytes, however, and I
also crave these. The whole topic of ultra-distance nutrition is a
work in progress. The hammernutrition people are a little precious
about purity and about dietary supplements, but this product and also
their hammergel are great, I think. They advertised in Rowing News!

4. Do a mileage binge for a month before this event, ending two or
three weeks before the race. Do some work at a pace at which you can
easily hold a conversation, and some work at the pace you plan on
racing, if that's harder. (50k? probably not) Aka base conditioning
and muscle memory. Do some harder work once a week or you'll get
detuned, or perhaps go crazy. Do a big taper, take a lot of time off
the week before the race.

5. You may be rating about a 20 to start this event, and you should be
low and controlled at that point. But you will probably progress up to
22-23. This may distress the technique nerds in the boat. Why this
happens is open to conjecture, and I do not mean to dismiss the
possibility of bad rowing, but I think it's a natural way to lighten
the load on the back.

6. A year ago a few of us did a *cooperative* row in two quads over
two days on the Conecticut River, helping each other out with steering
and staying in the lowest training zone. This was awfully pleasant
relative to my two CPR races and my triathlons! The recovery was easy!
You might consider this approach to the event.

Alistair Groves

May 31, 2006, 4:05:35 PM5/31/06
Rob wrote:
> Sorry, but can somebody describe this Boston Marathon? I think I read
> all the postings just now, having realized it's not the running race.
>
> 1. Say goodbye to blisters, but there's more to this than just the
> gloves! Put petroleum jelly on your hands, really a lot, and then put
> the gloves on over them! If the top of the gloves is mesh, don't
> worry! Your first hour or so will be less pleasant than it would have
> been w/o gloves, but from then on you're going to love it. Evidently
> this race has no required stops, but if you do stop, reapply the
> vaseline.

Are the gloves really essential or will I be able to toughen my hands up
enough over time? I really don't enjoy wearing gloves when rowing

Steven M-M

May 31, 2006, 9:12:03 PM5/31/06

Rob wrote:>

> 3. Although this wasn't common knowledge in 1997 when I left triathlon
> and bike racing, you burn protein after two hours. I guess. I've used
> hammernutrition.com's Sustained Energy for ultra rows with good
> results. The stuff tastes bland and chalky but after a few hours this
> is just what you want. It has no fat or electrolytes, however, and I
> also crave these. The whole topic of ultra-distance nutrition is a
> work in progress. The hammernutrition people are a little precious
> about purity and about dietary supplements, but this product and also
> their hammergel are great, I think. They advertised in Rowing News!

Rob,

I also use Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy for long rows. In
addition, I use their Endurolytes powder to provide the needed
electrolytes. I think their new ultra distance product, Perpetuum
(spelling?), has some fat. I've tried it but prefer SE.

I also agree with a 2 week taper mostly to make sure all your body
stores of energy are full.

Steven M-M

Phil

Jun 1, 2006, 3:54:27 AM6/1/06

If you do enough miles and don't grip too hard then your hands will be
fine. Change grips often so you get used to sculling with new grips.
Start off with no padding on the seat and add your favourite seat pad
when it gets uncomfortable, and remove it again periodically as
required. A change is as good as a rest!
Take bungees to secure blades when shipping over Bardney Lock - don't
bother undoing the gates to save time.

Phil.

Rob

Jun 1, 2006, 10:18:24 AM6/1/06

I don't enjoy gloves either, normally, but I prefer having them to
having the blisters. To be fair, I haven't really gone very far on the
blister route, but I've looked at specimens on other rowers' hands and
I don't care to experiment on my own.

Phil Metcalfe

Jun 2, 2006, 8:38:10 AM6/2/06
In message <1148987548.0...@r44g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,