Making sense out of the Hummer angle.

JaKyL25

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Hello. For those that don't know me(read: everyone here, since I do
nothing but lurk), I am the JaKyL. The capital letters are my initials, you
see. It's clever. Tee hee, tee hee.

Anyway, as part of being committed to being a WCW fan no matter HOW many
Sid run ins or dropped angles occur, I try to make my experience as pleasant as
possible. The "Irrefutable proof" presented last night by One Lex Luger that
Hogan drove the Hummer made me cringe, though, as at first I could not in good
conscience watch this and try to believe that there is ANY sort of continuity
at ALL in this angle. However, after Raw went off, I lay in bed trying to make
the angle into a sensible one. And I believe I've done it. Watch, as I make
sense of the un-make-sense-able!!

Flashback: June, 1998. Randy Savage vs. DDP in a Nitro Cage match. A
run-in ensues, and this would turn out to be Savage's last appearance for a
long time, as his leg was severely F-ed up. Eric Bischoff takes credit for the
injury in the storyline, so in the storyline there is no reason to believe that
Eric wasn't the perpetrator. So now Nash leads the Wolfpac, who become
exclusively face, as Konnan vs. Goldberg at GAB was the last time I remember
that incarnation of the 'Pac playing heel. Savage now hates Bischoff, but also
harbors resentment towards Nash for taking over "His Stable". He silently
broods at home, and sometime over the layoff becomes tenuous friends with
Hogan, since "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Late 1998. Nitro. Flair vs. Bischoff for control of WCW. Savage runs
in. The Giant, knowing Hogan and Savage's new situation as allies, thinks
Savage is there to help nWo Hollywood. Savage instead causes Bischoff to lose,
thus evening the score between them and giving him no reason to hate nWo
Hollywood. The next week, Hogan reforms the nWo, and presumably Savage is
offered a spot in it, but seeing as how Nash is involved, the Macho Man decides
to sit back and watch to "make sure Nash is on the right side." Bischoff is
not told of Hogan and Savage's alliance, since Eric would no doubt not want
Savage in after last week.

April, 1999. Savage comes back to referee the Main Event at Spring
Stampede. He and Hogan devise a scheme by which Hogan will win the title back
in the 4 way match between Hogan, Flair, DDP, and Sting. DDP throws a monkey
wrench into those plans, however, when he injures Hogan halfway through the
match, thus taking Hollywood out for a few months. Savage, thinking that Hogan
will want revenge on Page, and not knowing the severity of the injury, decides
to help his friend kill 2 birds with one stone and helps Page win the title.
Once Savage learns how long Hogan will be out, he begins a campaign to keep the
title on DDP, interfering when he can to help Page retain and in 1 case regain
the title, all so Hogan could win it when he came back. Around this time we
learn of Nash's treachery, selling out Hogan for a title shot of his own.
Hogan admits that Savage was right all along, and gives his blessing to the
"Keep the strap on DDP" plan.

May, 1999. Page vs. Nash, Slamboree. Savage interferes, causing a
Disqualification so Page can retain. Eric Bischoff, in the dark about Savage's
true intentions, convinces the referee to restart the match, and Kevin Nash
wins the title. Hollywood Hogan calls Eric on the phone and immediately tells
him about the plan that he just screwed up. Eric apologizes to Randy, and now
Hogan, Savage, and Bischoff are on the same side.

June, 1999. Hogan, in an effort to weaken Nash for Hogan's eventual
comeback match, drives a Hummer into the side of Nash's limo. Savage and
Bischoff make sure that no one accuses Hogan. Savage does this by claiming
that Sting drove the Hummer, even bringing in a Fake Sting who fans are led to
believe actually drove the Hummer. Bischoff does his part by claiming on Nitro
that "his sources say the driver was a woman".

June, 1999. Nash vs. Savage for the Title. Savage uses this forum not to
win the title(that's for Hogan), but just to beat down Nash and display his new
weapon, Sid Vicious. Sid is kept in the dark that he is really working to aid
Hogan, as Sid and Hogan have never gotten along.

July, 1999. Nash changes the proposed tag match at Bash at the Beach to
some strange sort of match where even his own partner, Sting, could win the
title if he so chose. Savage never asked for a title shot, instead leaving
that for Hogan. Nash uses the opportunity, however, to defeat his long time
enemy Nash for his World Title. The next night on Nitro, Hogan challenges
Savage to a title shot in his big return match. Savage plans to lay down for
Hogan (But this time after a competitive showing. They don't want to reveal
their plan just yet. They like mindfucking the fans and Sting and Goldberg and
such). This is made impossible, however, when Sid, not knowing Savage's plan,
interferes, thus forcing Savage either to pin Hogan or reveal everything.
Luckily, Nash runs in and helps Hogan win, without knowing that he just helped
his enemies recover their failed plot. Nash challenges Hogan for Road Wild.
Savage and Hogan berate Sid after the show, revealing their alliance. Sid,
upset with being left out of the loop, abandons Savage and Hogan for Nash and
Rick Steiner, but it never occurs to him that Hogan was the Hummer Driver. He
thought it was the Fake Sting all along. Savage is sidetracked with a Dennis
Rodman feud, and Hogan reverts to Hulk Hogan, thus making more money off
merchandise, and continuing to play mind games with Sting, Goldberg, and naive
faces everywhere.

August, 1999. Hogan is on top of the World. He's got the title, he's
retired Nash, and he's got everyone thinking he is a face. Enter Lex Luger.
Last week, Luger comes on Nitro explaining how he feels that Hogan cannot be
trusted. Hogan calls up Savage and tells him to be there in his locker room
next week, that they need to do some damage control. When confronted with the
picture, Hogan freaks, and in a last effort to keep his face image alive, begs
to team with Goldberg against the Triad, since DDP is a heel he actually hates.
Thus bringing us to where we are today.

Of course, it will all turn out completely different, and WCW will go off in a
direction that even I can't explain. But for now, it all makes sense. To me
anyway. :-)

The JaKyL
Michigan's "self-proclaimed" biggest Hart mark
Michigan's "self-proclaimed" biggest Jerichoholic
Rest in Peace Owen! WOOOOOO!!!
Smeller of what the Rock is cookin'.

guerrera

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
jak...@aol.com (JaKyL25) wrote:

[snip.]

A good analysis, sure enough, but I think though that WCW is trying to
do something more complex. An allusion to Moby Dick perhaps? The
[driver of the] white hummer is the white whale: that much is obvious.
Sting is Ahab; or the fans are Ahab; I dunno. Gancarski and some of
the other literary types 'round here could probably flesh this out more.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Jim gtz

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Jeez, you put a lot of thught into trying making a lame angle
comprehensible. With WcW I find it best to completely ignore all angles and
just watch their better wrestlers.
Angles are supposed to promote wrestlers and matches, but in WcW they are
so annoying you want to turn their shows off.