Bad Winnipeg Jets news!

1 view

Gary L Dare

Jul 13, 1991, 2:44:30 PM7/13/91
In article <UCManitoba...@clarinet.com>
clar...@clarinet.com writes:

> (Jets)+
> The possibility that Winnipeg will lose its hockey team is one
>step closer to reality today. Senior city politicians have rejected
>a local business group's offer to take over the arena's debt and the
>city's portion of the Winnipeg Jets. Team President Barry Shenkarow
>is now expected to start looking for a buyer for the team.

Can any readers closer to Winnipeg tell us if this is a bluff or not?

Maybe Winnipeg should let the Jets move and apply for an expansion
franchise; maybe a better crew can come in, and the locals will have
smartened up, too.

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare Trumps Split! (p.1) - NY Post,
> g...@cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU Tyson KO'd! (p.3) Monday
> g...@cunixc.BITNET Mandela Freed! (p.7) Feb.11/90

Daryl Turner

Jul 14, 1991, 3:33:17 PM7/14/91
In article <1991Jul13....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> g...@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
>In article <UCManitoba...@clarinet.com>
>clar...@clarinet.com writes:
>>
>> (Jets)+
>> The possibility that Winnipeg will lose its hockey team is one
>>step closer to reality today. Senior city politicians have rejected
>>a local business group's offer to take over the arena's debt and the
>>city's portion of the Winnipeg Jets. Team President Barry Shenkarow
>>is now expected to start looking for a buyer for the team.
>

>Can any readers closer to Winnipeg tell us if this is a bluff or not?
>
>Maybe Winnipeg should let the Jets move and apply for an expansion
>franchise; maybe a better crew can come in, and the locals will have
>smartened up, too.

'Senior city officials'. Hrmph. What this story seems to be based on
is a local radio station having Mayor Bill Norrie on saying that the
Jets majority owners have already sold their 64% interest in the team.
(For the uninformed, the other 36% interest is held by Winnipeg Enterprises
Corporation, a quasi-independent corporation set up under provincial
charter to operate the Arena/Stadium/Velodrome complex in the city. They
assumed this share of the Jets after a buyout attempt by Michael Gobuty
failed.) WEC has a complex arrangement with the private owners that the
WEC will cover all losses over a certain amount (approx. $400 000), or
the private owners will be free to break the lease they have with the
Arena until 1997. WEC has yet to cover the rest of the losses that the
Jets incurred this year (approx. $1.2 million). So needless to say,
there is a great deal of speculation of what is going to happen. There
are two local groups of people that are interested in acquiring either
WEC's share of the team or the whole team to keep it in Winnipeg. One
group plans on a new downtown Arena, tenatively called Manitoba Gardens.
The other wants to take over the arena as is.

Barry Shenkarow has said that the situation is rapidly becoming critical,
but as of yet, there are no offers on the table either way. Things still
very much depend on city council.

Daryl Turner, a lowly student at the University of Manitoba.
Internet: uut...@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fido: 1:348/704 (mail only)
I am, and always shall be, your friend. Spock, ST2:TWOK