Expansion draft order--really!

Ed Hughes

Jun 10, 1992, 12:12:59 PM6/10/92

Since I helped create confusion by making unwarranted
assumptions about the expansion draft order, I felt it
was my duty to establish a more officially-sanctioned
state of confusion! So here goes, straight from the
NHL via The Hockey News:

Here's the (confusing) definitive word on the
order of picks on the expansion draft, from
the June 12, 1992 issue of The Hockey News
(reproduced without permission)

The Senators won the coin toss to be designated
Team A for the June 18 expansion draft of unpro-
tected NHL and minor pro players.

As Team A, the Senators have the option of having
the first and fourth picks among goaltenders or
the second and third picks.

For choosing defensemen, the Lightning decides
whether it wants to have selections one, four,
six, seven, nine, 12, and 14 or two, three, five,
eight, 10, 11, and 13.

For selecting forwards, the Senators have the option
of choices one, four, six, seven, nine, 12, 14, 15,
17, 20, 22, and 23 or two, three, five, eight, 10,
11, 13, 16, 18, 19, 21, and 24.

Each NHL team can protect 14 skaters and two goaltenders.
The San Jose Sharks are exempt from losing players in
the draft.

The Lightning and Senators will [each] pick two goaltenders,
seven defensemen, and 12 forwards in the expansion draft.

The list of available players is given to the Lightning
and Senators June 16, giving them just two days to make
their final preparations for the draft.

"We did a mock expansion draft and we weren't too pleased
to be honest with you," Esposito said.

OK, everybody got that, now? :->

--
Ed Hughes, SAS Institute | "I'll stay here and take more lithium."
Cary, NC | --Crow, "Women of the Prehistoric Planet," MST3000