1993 Expansion Draft Rules

Stan Willis

Jun 23, 1993, 2:21:01 PM6/23/93

The 1993 NHL Expansion Draft Summary
Phase 1:
========
6/20/93 Protection list due to the NHL.

Each of the 24 teams can protect:
=================================
1 goaltender
5 defensemen
9 forwards

Available for claim must be at least:
=====================================
1 goaltender under a pro contract
1 defenseman with NHL experience
2 forwards with NHL experience

"NHL experience" means:
=======================
70 NHL games in the last 2 seasons or
40 games in the 1992-93 season

All first year pros are exempt from claim.
Second year pros on the reserve list are exempt from claim.
Unrestricted free agents are exempt as they are no longer
the property of any club.
The definition of a "pro season" means:
=======================================
11 games for an 18 or 19-year old
1 pro game played as a 20-year old or older

Each of the 24 clubs will lose two players.
Maximum goaltender loss of one; maximum defenseman loss of one;
If a goaltender is claimed, exempt from a defenseman loss.

6/24/93 The 1993 teams (Florida and Anaheim) will select:
3 goaltenders
8 defensemen
13 forwards

Up to 4 players selected, per team, may be free agents, of which there
may be no more than one goalie, 2 defenseman and 2 forwards. Free
agents claimed may not be signed until Phase 2 is complete.

Phase 2:
========
6/25/93 Florida and Anaheim will protect:
=================================
1 goaltender
5 defensemen
10 forwards

1992 teams (San Jose, Tampa Bay and Ottawa) will protect:
2 goaltenders
5 defensemen
10 forwards

No pro players exempt, unsigned draft choices are exempt.

San Jose, Tampa Bay and Ottawa may
each claim from Florida and Anaheim:
====================================
2 unprotected players

The max. loss for Florida and Anaheim will be:
1 goaltender
1 defensemen
1 forward

The order of selection will be:
===============================
1. Tampa Bay
2. Ottawa
3. San Jose

When selecting a player from a 1993 team, the claiming club will drop
a player of the same position from its protected list.

1st 3 selections from 1993 teams: the team who loses the player will
have a choice of any unprotected pro player in the same position as
the claimed player, or $100,000 compensation from the ultimate claiming
club.

2nd 3 selections from 1993 teams: the team who loses the player will
have a choice of any unprotected pro player in the same position as
the claimed player, or $50,000 compensation from the ultimate claiming
club.

The ultimate claiming club (now for the fun part):
1992 team selects a player from a 1993 team and drops a player of same
postion from its protected list. The first right to claim an un-
protected player of same position from the 1992 team now goes to the
other 2 1992 teams. If a 1992 team claims an unprotected player from
the 1992 team, that team must drop a player of same position from its
protected list. Right to claim an unprotected player of same position
from the selecting 1992 team goes to the other 1992 teams. This
continues until the 1992 teams pass. The right to claim an unproteced
player then moves to the original losing 1993 team, and then to the
other 1993 team if the original 1993 team passes. Last club to claim
a pro player in that process shall be designated the ultimate claiming
club.

If a 1992 team selects a player from another 1992 team, that claim
shall count as its choice in that round. Phase 2 shall continue until
3 players have been claimed from each of the 1993 teams and they have
been compensated, or until all 3 1992 teams have passed.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Scott McArthur Forrest

Jun 23, 1993, 11:28:18 PM6/23/93
wil...@oracle.SCG.HAC.COM (Stan Willis) writes:

---Lots of relatively less complex information deleted---

> been compensated, or unitl all 3 1992 teams have passed.

I now need a law degree to follow the sport of hockey?
This is overkill in the red-tape department, yikes!

## Scott Forrest || ##
## sfor...@sfu.ca || "Currently seeking ##
## Simon Fraser University || a country to rule" ##
## Burnaby, BC, Canada || ##