How does the draft work?

es...@lehigh.edu

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Can someone tell me how the expansion draft works - how many players can be
protected etc.? - or a web site where I can find this information.

Another question - Which teams are in what divisions next year?

Thanks in advance!

ERIKA K. SELL
INFORMATION RESOURCES

Did you ever stop to think..... and forget to start again?

John Crocetti

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

es...@Lehigh.EDU wrote:

> Can someone tell me how the expansion draft works - how many players can be
> protected etc.? - or a web site where I can find this information.
>
> Another question - Which teams are in what divisions next year?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The NHL keeps tinkering around with the format. I think they've changed
it 3 times in the past 6 months, so take whatever I write here with a
grain of salt...it will probably change again before this is all over.

But, as of right now, a team's options look like this:

-- Protect 1 goalie and 15 skaters (either 10 forwards and 5 defensemen
*or* 9 forwards and six defensemen)

-- Protect 2 goalies and 11 skaters (either 8 forwards and 3 defensemen
*or* 7 forwards and 4 defensemen)

Also, remember that players with fewer than two years of professional
experience are automatically protected and do not count against the
protected skaters listed.

This year, the Nashville Predators will choose one player from each team
that is not protected -- and must select something like 3 goalies, so
many defensemen and so many forwards.

--John

Joe-B

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

es...@Lehigh.EDU wrote:

>Can someone tell me how the expansion draft works - how many players can be
>protected etc.? - or a web site where I can find this information.

>Another question - Which teams are in what divisions next year?

Next years realignment has the Leafs moving to the Northeast, the
Penguins to the Atlantic, and expansion Nashville to the Central
division.

As for the expansion draft:
First and second years pros are exempt
Teams may protect either 9 forwards, 5 dmen and 1 goalie or
7 forwards, 3 dmen and 2 goalies
(For 1998, only, teams are allowed to protect one extra skater)

Of the unprotected players, each team must include at least 1 forward
and 1 dman that has played in 40 NHL games this season and 1 goalie
that has played in 10 NHL games this season, and a minimum of 25 since
1995-96.

A team can lose only one player per expansion, and teams that lose a
goalie in in 1998, can not lose another in 1999.

Expansion teams are required to select 26 players, including at least
3 goalies, 8 dmen, and 14 forwards.

Joe