great cleats! review your cleats and wisdom here.

luketcg

Feb 16, 2007, 12:21:51 AM2/16/07
if you love your cleats, please speak up!
im looking to research and buy cleats that:
1 will allow incredible, FIRM, well planted cuts with ease. (like
gaia's)

2 will last about 2 years with consistent 1-4 times a week usage.
(unlike my g4 gaia's and nike mercurial vapors, both of which are
coming apart on the soles)

3 are water resistant. theres always dew the first game or two of
the morning. (like my synthetic, almost plasticky nike mercurial
vapors. that was great.)

4 are not heavy. gaia's are a tiny bit heavy, but that was ok given
the excellent traction and cushion. this is more minor.

**my experiences: -nike vapors were ok for traction, AMAZINGLY
lightweight, and practically waterproof, which i was grateful for.
now the glue on the soles is ripping apart, but their durability wasnt
bad. they werent too comfy, even for my slim feet, but i dont care at
all about comfort and blisters when im cutting brilliantly. horrible
support, but more free than going barefoot.
-g4 gaia's (the white and red $80+ ones) are awesome cleats if you
have the money to buy new ones every six months. they are a little
heavy, but theyre also giving you comfort and superb cushioning for a
cleat. their footboard is stiffer than soccer shoe commonly are, so
it saves your calves and saves you some trouble in pushing off. the
grip is soooo goood, too.

thanks! im determined to figure this out and save my meager college
student bank account.
-luke

Lionel

Feb 16, 2007, 12:54:31 AM2/16/07
On Feb 16, 12:21 am, "luketcg" <skywalk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> if you love your cleats, please speak up!
> im looking to research and buy cleats that:
> 1 will allow incredible, FIRM, well planted cuts with ease. (like
> gaia's)

Do you work for Gaia?

> 2 will last about 2 years with consistent 1-4 times a week usage.
> (unlike my g4 gaia's and nike mercurial vapors, both of which are
> coming apart on the soles)

If you have cleats that last two years, you're not running hard
enough. Also, 104 ≠ 416. I'd try the Speed TDs if you're looking to
improve your brilliant cutting. It's all about the toe cleat.

LW

julia...@yahoo.com

Feb 16, 2007, 2:47:44 AM2/16/07

I have the new Nke Vapor III's and so far they have their ups and
downs. They are EXTREMELY LIGHT. They have a great stud pattern. I
have played alot with them and so far VERY little sign of wearing out.
Thye only problem is that they destroy my ankles. But they are great
foor hard ground and long grass. I Just ordered a par of G4 cleats but
yet to try them out. Teamates have told me the new speed td's are
straight money

cran...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 3:16:28 AM2/16/07
I have 2 pairs of the new Speed TDs. I have had one of them since the
second half of the club season, and the other partway into the fall.
My first pair is starting to fall apart a little bit, the blue plastic
covering is coming off on the front inside of the right foot. I don't
think that covering does anything besides looks, but it is starting to
come off. I expect them to last through club this summer. I love the
cleats, they are great. There are probably at least 6 dudes on our
team that wear them.

malek...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 3:27:13 AM2/16/07
I can't rave enough about the Nike vapor jet td. It's a very light
cleat that doesn't really seem to get waterlogged; in fact unless you
step in a sizeable puddle, you can usually just wipe off the cleat and
it's as if you haven't played yet. It's comfortable and doesn't tear
up your feet as I've seen often with Mercurials. It's also got a bit
of a toe cleat which is good for that extra push when you're going ho,
but the cleat pattern is blade rather than stud. I've had mine for
two years (although they don't get used in the winter--snow) and they
are still in impeccable shape. They're football cleats made for WRs
and CBs so they translate well for the cutting involved in ultimate.
The only downside is the price tag which is a steep 99.99 on Eastbay.
I think the cleat's popularity may have raised the price cause I think
I got mine for 80. Regardless, given the durability, the return on
the investment is more than worth it.

jlo

Feb 16, 2007, 9:43:40 AM2/16/07
Find the Nike Speed TD's that look like this:
http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/8a/9d/b148_1.JPG

Best. Cleat. Ever.

cos...@wfu.edu

Feb 16, 2007, 9:50:56 AM2/16/07
On Feb 16, 3:27 am, malek.cy...@gmail.com wrote:
> I can't rave enough about the Nike vapor jet td.

second that. i had a pair of older td's and when they crapped out i
bought the new vapor jets. amazingly lightweight, but the synthetic
upper not only keeps your feet crazy dry, but also has a surprising
amount of durability. the blade style cleat pattern works great for
hard ground or soft allowing for really good sharp cuts. in my opnion
they are worth the $100 price tag. If you keep them in good shape
(keep em dry and clean the mud off) they should last at least 2
seasons.

Mankind

Feb 16, 2007, 10:14:30 AM2/16/07
New Balance MF890's. Same cleat pattern as the TD's. You can buy
them in widths which is great for people with troll feet like me.
Come in lows and mids both of which are currently selling for $50 on
eastbay. Last time I bought cleats I bought two pairs of these. I
will never wear another cleat again assuming they keep making them.
And if you think you can find any cleat that while playing 1-4 times a
week year round is going to last two years you are out of your mind.

gar...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 10:57:02 AM2/16/07
On Feb 16, 10:14 am, "Mankind" <tim.johnso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New Balance MF890's. Same cleat pattern as the TD's. You can buy
> them in widths which is great for people with troll feet like me.
> Come in lows and mids both of which are currently selling for $50 on
> eastbay. Last time I bought cleats I bought two pairs of these. I
> will never wear another cleat again assuming they keep making them.
> And if you think you can find any cleat that while playing 1-4 times a
> week year round is going to last two years you are out of your mind.

i like my NB 890's as well. hard to find around if you want to try
them on, but well worth ir for me.

Shake and Bake

Feb 16, 2007, 11:24:02 AM2/16/07
Hey, I had Speed TDs before but I just bought Nike Super Bads. My
cutting has never been sharper and it provides great ankle support.
The only downside is they are a bit pricey.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2244745&cp=693769&sr=1&origkw=super+bad&kw=super+bad&parentPage=search&searchId=19726707861

Kief

Feb 16, 2007, 11:35:30 AM2/16/07
I've always been a fan of Adidas and the Copa Mundials. They hold out
water, are very light and fast. I've never been able to use Nike and
have just heard bad things about the durability of Gaia. Copas are
about $100, but definitely worth and hold together for a long time.

twf...@comcast.net

Feb 16, 2007, 2:15:33 PM2/16/07
I also would endorse the Copa's. I have had several pairs of gaia
cleats (not the g4's though) as well as various addidas and nike
soccer cleats. I have demo'd the Speed TD's (my brother was a footbal
WR), and they are fine cleats, definately not God's gift to cutting as
many would have you believe.

I love my copas, i bought them between club regionals and nationals
(unfortunately my good cleats broke from a freak foot tangle on teh
first point of the finals), so i wore the Copas in Sarasota pretty
much right out of the box. They were outstanding for 3 days of high
level ultimate (no blisters, sore feet, slipping etc.). i have had
never had a pair of cleats last me more than a year with regular use,
except for the copas. Incredible durability, and amazing comfort.
The leather molds to your foot, and they are light weight, even in
downpore conditions (unlike gaias). You should use mink oil or some
other leather conditioner on them every once in a while to keep the
leather happy.

The only issue is that with really soft loose ground, the might slip
now and again, which is why i still have my gaias, but the Copas are
great cleats

pgw

Feb 16, 2007, 2:25:41 PM2/16/07

If you have intact ligaments in your ankles and are playing in perfect
conditions (ground is even and firm but not hard), Copas are
fabulous. If you think you might slip in the mud, step in a hole or
on a mound, or twist your ankle, you're going to want a different shoe.

phdzack

Feb 16, 2007, 2:44:00 PM2/16/07
I am a big believer in football cleats over soccer sleats here's why:

1. Soccer cleats are made for kicking a ball so you are going to pay
for that leather upper and they never last as song as synthetics.

2. Football cleats are made for running and cutting, which is all you
do in Ultimate.

3. Soccer cleats are made to where for 90 minutes. Whereas Football
cleats are made to wear for up to 4 hours.

4. Soccer cleats suck.

So In conclusion I would like to also add that I have a pair of the
Nike Vapor Jet TD's and have had them since the beginning of the club
season, have played in 17 tournaments since I got them and they have
shown no sigh of wear at all!!

Zack

Aaron Herman

Feb 16, 2007, 2:53:40 PM2/16/07

I've worn adidas predators since high school. They are a great shoe
and the kicker is that every time they fall apart I just
call up adidas, have them send me a return authorization form, mail in
the cleats, and they send a brand new pair! so its like $200 for the
first pair, but they realize after shelling out that type of money
that you expect them to last for a long time, and there customer
service is wonderful. I'm currently on my 5th or 6th pair.

Kief

Feb 16, 2007, 2:56:13 PM2/16/07
Yeah, not a fan of football cleat, they never felt like they were
build well and that I would eventually need an ankle brace because of
it. With soccer cleats, the leather is more comfortable and really
more durable. Football cleats seemed to be designed for one hard cut
or two and are great for offense. But the cleat style on soccer
cleats are great for defense and adjusting to another's cut.

And as for playing in incremental weather, the leather holds up so
much better. There's no special care required to keep them in one
piece. Football cleats are for football fans. Soccer cleats are made
to be used and not treated like a rare toy. Copa's are my favorite
because of how they've helf up for me in the past, but everyone likes
there own thing.

Kief

chad.w...@edwards.af.mil

Feb 16, 2007, 3:07:56 PM2/16/07
I'm a fan of the Addias Copa Mundials. Lightweight and pretty durable.
I am on my second or third pair. I have a narrow foot, but the
kangaroo leather molds nicely to your foot. Oil them every few months
though and let them air out if you get them wet. You'll be golden.

Downside: Usually run upwards of $100. Feels like you are running
barefoot, so you can really feel the imperfections in a crappy field
and there is obviously no ankle support since it is a soccer cleat.
Soles can be a bit hard. You can get around these problems (besides
the price) by using sole inserts. The full inserts can get waterlogged
and slow you down, so I use the Dr. Scholls heel gels. You have to
replace those every few months if you are playing 1-4 times/wk, but it
beats running on a mushy and heavy full-length insert.

beavis

Feb 16, 2007, 8:51:53 PM2/16/07
On Feb 16, 8:24 am, "Shake and Bake" <Skiwhiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, I had Speed TDs before but I just bought Nike Super Bads. My
> cutting has never been sharper and it provides great ankle support.
> The only downside is they are a bit pricey.
>
> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2244745...

I also have super bads and love the shoe for cutting, but is showing a
good amount of wear on it and I have only been using them for 6
months. Hated the ankle strap on it though. So if you have the money
a good shoe because I'm assuming it won't be wearable past a year.

stopsign109

Feb 16, 2007, 9:12:33 PM2/16/07
Hey guys, I essentially love cleats and talking about them, so this is
an awsome conversation for me. Here is the system I have been
operating with as of late. I currently us botht he Nike Speed TDS and
the adidas copas. There are pros and cons of both so I use them in
different situations. I would say I use the speed tds more first off
but here it adepends mostly on the hardness of teh groung. When It
get firm, the tds cleats are a little long so i switch to the copas
which work great, but when it is a least a little moist, tds give much
better traction and the toe cleat provides for awsome stop and
explosivness. I love the copas because they make you feel barefoot
and fast, but the change of direction with them is not quite as good,
this, sometimes I also factor in what position I am playing. If
handling pimarily, I like using the Copas, so the quick little cuts up
line and such, when downfield, I prefer the speed tds. thats my take,
hope it helps a few of you...keep posting guys.

mui...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 9:24:25 PM2/16/07
You guys need to do some bargain hunting before buying cleats. Copas
should never be over $100, don't pay $110 for Super Bads. Just do a
search for (store name) coupons on google, because stores like Eastbay
ALWAYS have coupons even when they don't advertise them.

For some reason Copas are $119 at Eastbay, but they are $89.99 at
Dick's, with free shipping, and then grab a 10% off coupon for $80
Copas.

You can get a 20% off $100 orders at Eastbay, so the $110 Super Bads
can be had for $88. With the same coupon you can pick up Vapor Jet
TD's for $80 (you'll have to buy the $1 wristband to get the $99.99
order to $100).

Also if you have monster huge feet, like size 15 or 16, you can get
crazy cheap cleats at eastbay, like Vapor TD's for $20.

Adam Tarr

Feb 17, 2007, 4:05:24 PM2/17/07
On Feb 16, 9:24 am, "Shake and Bake" <Skiwhiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, I had Speed TDs before but I just bought Nike Super Bads. My
> cutting has never been sharper and it provides great ankle support.
> The only downside is they are a bit pricey.
>
> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2244745...

I take it you like the ankle strap? The strap scared me away from
this shoe (I've never had a chance to try it on). From the
appearance, I'm assuming the overall fit is the same as the speed TD?

I wear the old 3/4 height speed TDs, which are the perfect cleat as
far as I'm concerned. Light, durable, comfortable, great traction,
just like all Speed TDs, but with just enough ankle support to prevent
injuries. They were discontinued in 2004, but I've managed to get
them on ebay a couple times. The well seems to have dried up there,
though, so when my last two pairs disintegrate, I will have to find
something new.

weezerson

Feb 17, 2007, 4:57:00 PM2/17/07
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the new under armour cleats. I
bought a pair and like them so far. They took a long time to break in
though.

luketcg

Feb 17, 2007, 5:41:52 PM2/17/07
On Feb 16, 10:14 am, "Mankind" <tim.johnso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And if you think you can find any cleat that while playing 1-4 times a
> week year round is going to last two years you are out of your mind.

i know its a ridiculous expectation. all im saying is that i want to
find one where the bottom just wont come off (ive heard some adidas
pairs last forever like that). im trying to be picky and find a cleat
that will last longer than about90% of the rest. the last pairs of
adidas soccer cleats i had long ago in highschool didnt grip too well,
though. they had those long, stripey cleats on the bottom. i think i
grew out of them in a season.

it'sjustaplasticdisc

Feb 18, 2007, 8:56:06 PM2/18/07
On Feb 16, 10:14 am, "Mankind" <tim.johnso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New Balance MF890's. Same cleat pattern as the TD's. You can buy
> them in widths which is great for people with troll feet like me.

I'm on my third pair of Speed TD's.
The latest pair appear to be the newer design (not much difference).
My favorite shoe. Period.

I also have the NB 890's.
Good shoe.
Similar tread pattern, it's true, but the shoes fit very differently.

The "standard" D width of the 890 is much much wider than what you get
in the Speed TD's.

I have a standard to slightly narrow foot and the TD's are a little
snug, even on me (that's a good snug).
The 890's are ok, and I'll wear them for less intense competition, but
they don't make me feel as quick, as responsive.
If I had wider feet, I imagine they'd be perfect.

As for the original poster asking for a shoe that would last 2
years.....
I think Timberland makes a boot that might last that long.

Tom

Feb 19, 2007, 2:33:08 AM2/19/07
I'm amazed there aren't more people wearing Lacrosse cleats, as far as
similarity in play movement goes its the closest matching sport there
is...

I'm wearing a pair of Warrior Speed Burn Lacrosse Cleats (Warrior
Cleats are made by New Balance)

they are great, incredibly light weight, great cleat layout, good in
all weather conditions, solid, comfy, come in widths (only in black,
and you have to find them online, eastbay is best)

the only problem I have with them are that they run big, and I mean
Huge... I wear a 10 1/2 - 11 Adidas, and fit snugly into an 8 1/2, you
should try them on in a store first to make sure ya get the right fit,
but you may have to find a store through the Warrior lacrosse website
if you don't live in an area of the country that is big on Lax (http://
www.warriorlacrosse.com/ upper right, "Dealer Locater")

they have a somewhat unique feel to them, somewhat stiff soles,
incredibly light and fast, and give a great solid base...

the best thing is, that despite being light weight and really fast,
they are tough. the way they have sealed the soles to the shoe keeps
them on there with no potential for separation like you get with
almost any other shoe except 3/4 height shoes. they'll last a solid 2
seasons maybe longer, the cleats are long, so you wont wear them down
too fast maybe 3 if you are careful with them (so basically 2)

as for price, they are like $80-ish, a little expensive, but worth
every penny... ive owned probably 25 pairs of of cleats, maybe more,
and these are as good as they get

JEHe...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2007, 5:47:56 PM2/19/07
On Feb 18, 11:33 pm, "Tom" <TomTheFrisbee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm amazed there aren't more people wearing Lacrosse cleats, as far as
> similarity in play movement goes its the closest matching sport there
> is...

After two pairs of speed TDs and a nagging toe injury, I decided to
try the new Nike Lacrosse cleats (Shogun LX) About the same price as
the TDs, but stiffer soles and sturdier heel. Same cleat pattern as
TDs, but available in women's sizes too. I ordered mine rom Nike but I
think they have 'em on Eastbay too.

While narrow, they broke in pretty quick, and they are much sturdier
than than the TD's I've had. They're a smidge heavier, but not as
heavy as the really sturdy football cleats. Great for cutting, worked
fine in both the mud of SB Invite and the dryness of Vegas. And the
stiff sole seems to be helping the turf toe.

I didn't think TD's could be improved upon for ultimate, but these
Shoguns are awesome.

Droske

Feb 19, 2007, 9:38:34 PM2/19/07
adidas also makes a very light-weight copa for soft ground, called the
world cups. i think they are 9oz which is at the very low end of
weight for soccer cleats and they have the added benefit of a speed td
type cleat pattern on the bottom for excellent traction. i've used
them for the last two seasons and i can't see myself ever wanting
anything more from a cleat.

Duchamanos

Feb 19, 2007, 10:31:40 PM2/19/07
Jeff Koontz from Tulsa uses golf cleats. (He's the one on Jason
Mechler's ulti pic homepage laying out above Ricter). He swears by
their comfort, durability, and apparent grip. I've never seen him
slip around in any condition. If anything, it's fun to go into a golf
store and try out a few cuts on the turf they have laid out. I also
hear paintball cleats are great for ankle support and waterproofing.

jbe...@siu.edu

Feb 20, 2007, 12:32:58 AM2/20/07
get the high end diadora soccer cleats.
The old brasils could last me 2 soccer seasons at least, and they rock!

jeff.b...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 8:07:59 AM2/20/07
Anybody use the Reebok NFL All Out Speed Low M2? I recently bought a
pair on ebay and have yet to use them. I've never owned a pair of
reebok cleats before but I figured I'd try them out. Once I start
playing regularly, they'll get used 5-6 times a week, so if you've put
them through some punishment, let me know how they've held up.

kebo...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 10:52:13 AM2/20/07
I personally have a pair of adidas telstars (low end copas) for
practices and pickup games, and the puma v1.06 for tourneys. They're
probably the lightest cleat you can buy, with a carbon fiber plate on
the bottom. Not much in the way of ankle support, but the carbon
fiber is like having springs in your soles, not to mention having like
6 ounces on your feet ain't bad...I take em off at the end of the day
to put on my flip flops and I'm like "damn, my flip flops are heavy"

Personally I had a problem with all the ankle support I was getting
from the Speed TDs. I don't know what it was, but I damn near tore a
ligament in my ankle cutting laterally in the endzone, and I found out
that I simply can't wear anything that comes up too high. So the
telstars (or copas) and the v1.06s are pretty perfect for me.

bfa...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 1:34:40 PM2/20/07
Anyone want a pair of the new vapors size 14 for cheap? Nothing wrong
with them, used em for a couple weeks and they crushed my weirdly
designed toes. White and black.

Email me.

On Feb 16, 3:27 am, malek.cy...@gmail.com wrote:

> I can't rave enough about the Nike vapor jet td. It's a very light
> cleat that doesn't really seem to get waterlogged; in fact unless you
> step in a sizeable puddle, you can usually just wipe off the cleat and
> it's as if you haven't played yet. It's comfortable and doesn't tear
> up your feet as I've seen often with Mercurials. It's also got a bit
> of a toe cleat which is good for that extra push when you're going ho,
> but the cleat pattern is blade rather than stud. I've had mine for
> two years (although they don't get used in the winter--snow) and they
> are still in impeccable shape. They're football cleats made for WRs
> and CBs so they translate well for the cutting involved in ultimate.
> The only downside is the price tag which is a steep 99.99 on Eastbay.
> I think the cleat's popularity may have raised the price cause I think
> I got mine for 80. Regardless, given the durability, the return on
> the investment is more than worth it.

bfa...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 2:37:16 PM2/20/07