Muller - "He can't bowl, and he can't throw"

Peter Watkins

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
anyone know who it was that said it?

--
Anti-SPAM measures in place. To reply, please remove RUBBISH from the
email address. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Moby Dick

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:

> "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> anyone know who it was that said it?

Just saw it... Darn daylight saving robbed me of the first report.

It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.

If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
cricketer and I'd certainly lose a lot of faith in my countrymen thinking
that it was only one incident of many that weren't picked up over the
years.

Moby Dick.
Very, very dissapointed.

Mike Price

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:56:30 +1100, James Stewart
<bull...@rleague.com> wrote:

>I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
>unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
>was...a joke.

I would have to agree, We (The team I play for) always give each
other shit when playing, to a greater extent to our own players than
to the opposition.
I would not worry too much about it.

Mike

Ashes

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:28:29 +1100, Peter Watkins
<RUBBISH...@interact.net.au> wrote:

>"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
>bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
>Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
>anyone know who it was that said it?

I think it came from the commentary box.

Ashes

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
<bull...@rleague.com> wrote:

>Moby Dick wrote:

>> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
>>
>> > "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
>> > bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
>> > Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
>> > anyone know who it was that said it?
>>

>> Just saw it... Darn daylight saving robbed me of the first report.
>>
>> It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
>> the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
>> mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.
>>
>> If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
>> players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
>> candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
>> first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
>> stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
>> for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
>> cricketer and I'd certainly lose a lot of faith in my countrymen thinking
>> that it was only one incident of many that weren't picked up over the
>> years.
>

>I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
>unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
>was...a joke.

I think it was from the commentry box as I can remember another
Aus player called Bevan in Eng when a commentaor thought he was
not on air said somethink like - Bevan can't bat ot bowl.
The same commentator was in the box for Bevan and Muller.

Mike Holmans

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:54:17 +1000, Moby Dick
<s37...@student.uq.edu.au> decided to opine:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
>
>> "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
>> bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
>> Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
>> anyone know who it was that said it?

>Unfortunately the prime

>candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
>first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
>stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
>for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
>cricketer

For someone who has castigated Ashes and the other loonies for dealing
in ridiculous absolutes, that is a bit much. Betting against your own
side, as at Headingley 1981, and rolling balls along the ground in
ODIs when your brother tells you to come to mind immediately as things
which would disappoint me rather more than making rude remarks about
one of your team-mates who is playing badly.

Cheers

Mike
--

Supporting the World's Worst Test Team

Chris Kuan

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Moby Dick wrote in rec.sport.cricket:

>> I think it came from the commentary box.
>

>*with* background noise and all?

I think that one can't tell - if ALL the mikes are left open, the noises tend to
mingle - what startled me was the clarity, despite the low volume of the comment.
That makes me lean towards the commentary box, based on totally unfounded
opinions of the relative quality of the mikes.

--

Chris Kuan, BHP Information Technology
Concatenate for email: mr gazpacho @ hotmail . com

"The fools must be dealt with, however."
- Dan Pop, comp.lang.c <danpop.9...@news.cern.ch>

James Stewart

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Moby Dick wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
>
> > "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> > bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> > Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> > anyone know who it was that said it?
>

> Just saw it... Darn daylight saving robbed me of the first report.
>
> It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
> the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
> mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.
>
> If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani

> players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime

> candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
> for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian

> cricketer and I'd certainly lose a lot of faith in my countrymen thinking
> that it was only one incident of many that weren't picked up over the
> years.

I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
was...a joke.

> Moby Dick.
> Very, very dissapointed.

James A Martin

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
<bull...@rleague.com> wrote:

>I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
>unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
>was...a joke.

it didn't sound like a joke - more like a whinge - I hope you're
right, otherwise it's bloody disapointing to hear that kind of talk

James A
James A. Martin
jama...@dingoblue.net.au
The crowd took a few steps back. Oats was clearly
a dangerous man to be around.
"Would you go out alone on a night like this?" he
said.
The voice at the back said '"Depends if i knew where
Granny Weatherwax was".
"Carpe Jugulum"

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, James Stewart wrote:

> Moby Dick wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
> >
> > > "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> > > bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> > > Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> > > anyone know who it was that said it?
> >
> > Just saw it... Darn daylight saving robbed me of the first report.
> >
> > It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
> > the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
> > mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.
> >
> > If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
> > players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
> > candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> > first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> > stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
> > for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
> > cricketer and I'd certainly lose a lot of faith in my countrymen thinking
> > that it was only one incident of many that weren't picked up over the
> > years.
>

> I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
> unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
> was...a joke.

Not by the way it was said.
Now, if it had been a player that was entrenched in the team following a
career of excellence in which it was quite obvious that they could bowl,
then it would be a joke. As it was, if Muller did here it, he wouldn't
have been laughing.

Moby Dick.
The revolution is dead. Long live the revolution.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Mike Price wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:56:30 +1100, James Stewart
> <bull...@rleague.com> wrote:
>

> >I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
> >unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
> >was...a joke.
>

> I would have to agree, We (The team I play for) always give each
> other shit when playing, to a greater extent to our own players than
> to the opposition.
> I would not worry too much about it.

And you do it to guys who really haven't had a good run and aren't likely
to have an extended stay in the team?

Moby Dick.
It didn't sound like a joke. And it certainly didn't sound like more than
one or two people were meant to hear it.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ashes wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:28:29 +1100, Peter Watkins

> <RUBBISH...@interact.net.au> wrote:
>
> >"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> >bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> >Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> >anyone know who it was that said it?
>

> I think it came from the commentary box.

*with* background noise and all?

Moby Dick.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ashes wrote:

> >> It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
> >> the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
> >> mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.

> I think it was from the commentry box as I can remember another

> Aus player called Bevan in Eng when a commentaor thought he was
> not on air said somethink like - Bevan can't bat ot bowl.
> The same commentator was in the box for Bevan and Muller.

The report on "The Panel" indicated that it came from outside the
commentary box. I heard it and I've heard other snippets in the past from
both the stump mike and the commentary box... The background noise was
that of outside, *not* of the type you normally get in the box.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Mike Holmans wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:54:17 +1000, Moby Dick
> <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> decided to opine:
>

> >On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
> >
> >> "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> >> bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> >> Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> >> anyone know who it was that said it?
>

> >Unfortunately the prime
> >candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> >first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> >stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
> >for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
> >cricketer
>

> For someone who has castigated Ashes and the other loonies for dealing
> in ridiculous absolutes, that is a bit much. Betting against your own
> side, as at Headingley 1981, and rolling balls along the ground in
> ODIs when your brother tells you to come to mind immediately as things
> which would disappoint me rather more than making rude remarks about
> one of your team-mates who is playing badly.

And in terms of the game of cricket, I'd have to agree with you.. But
those others were done to other people. To countries other than my own,
or in situations that were assumed to be "funny". If Marsh and co had not
tried at Headingly, then perhaps it would have competition, but for me
(and I'm not trying to convince anyone else to believe it), something
like that said to a *teammate*, in the manner in which it was said, at the
time it was said is simply "un-Australian" and it makes me feel a bit
sick.

Moby Dick.
Sorry... I should have said that it was a personal belief only and defined
what I based my rankings on.

BTW: I'm still hoping it was someone else.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On 24 Nov 1999, Chris Kuan wrote:

> Moby Dick wrote in rec.sport.cricket:
>

> >> I think it came from the commentary box.
> >
> >*with* background noise and all?
>

> I think that one can't tell - if ALL the mikes are left open, the noises tend to
> mingle - what startled me was the clarity, despite the low volume of the comment.
> That makes me lean towards the commentary box, based on totally unfounded
> opinions of the relative quality of the mikes.

Hope you are right, but I haven't heard the accidental leaving on of all
mikes at once... just one or the other.

Westie

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Moby Dick wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Mike Price wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:56:30 +1100, James Stewart
> > <bull...@rleague.com> wrote:
> >

> > >I'd say it was only friendly banter. It be an inhouse joke that was
> > >unfortunately heard publicly and the take on it not what it probably
> > >was...a joke.
> >

> > I would have to agree, We (The team I play for) always give each
> > other shit when playing, to a greater extent to our own players than
> > to the opposition.
> > I would not worry too much about it.
>
> And you do it to guys who really haven't had a good run and aren't likely
> to have an extended stay in the team?

As you said below only one or two people were meant to hear it and it's only
because of the mic that it's blown out like it has, this sort of thing happens
all the time sometimes your meant to hear it sometimes your not and I'm sure
Muller after throwing the ball thought to himself "shit can't I do anything
right in this test" or something like that.

And as with Mike Price in our club we have a go at anyone that has a bad game
or even a bad day.
If some of the people on this NG played cricket it wouldn't come as such a
shock and I'd say Muller now that he's heard it will be doing everything he
can to do better whether it's in the Australian team or not.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Westie wrote:

> As you said below only one or two people were meant to hear it and it's only
> because of the mic that it's blown out like it has, this sort of thing happens
> all the time sometimes your meant to hear it sometimes your not and I'm sure
> Muller after throwing the ball thought to himself "shit can't I do anything
> right in this test" or something like that.

And if the person who said it (assuming that it was a player.. it may not
have been) had just thought it, that would have been alright.. but they
didn't.. they said it and someone else, even if it was only one other
person was meant to hear it, then it shows a sense of elitism/snobbery
that is unbecoming

> And as with Mike Price in our club we have a go at anyone that has a bad game
> or even a bad day.
> If some of the people on this NG played cricket it wouldn't come as such a
> shock and I'd say Muller now that he's heard it will be doing everything he
> can to do better whether it's in the Australian team or not.

But neither of you plays for a representative team. None of the players
you bag are unsure of their future in the team. All of the players you
bag know you fairly well.

If a new player came to play for your team. And he/she considered it to
be an honour to be chosen for the team. And they played one game in which
they did pretty averagely. And they knew that they would be lucky to keep
their place in the side. Would you still bag them, particularly at a
stage when your team is in a bad position, and still mean it as just a
joke?

Because I don't think you would. If it was someone who had proved
themselves in the past, or if the team was doing very well, or if the
jokee was in the team for batting, then it would obviously be a joke...
but in this situation, I think joking was very far from the individual's
mind.

Westie

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Moby Dick wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Westie wrote:
>
> > As you said below only one or two people were meant to hear it and it's only
> > because of the mic that it's blown out like it has, this sort of thing happens
> > all the time sometimes your meant to hear it sometimes your not and I'm sure
> > Muller after throwing the ball thought to himself "shit can't I do anything
> > right in this test" or something like that.
>
> And if the person who said it (assuming that it was a player.. it may not
> have been) had just thought it, that would have been alright.. but they
> didn't.. they said it and someone else, even if it was only one other
> person was meant to hear it, then it shows a sense of elitism/snobbery
> that is unbecoming

I'm not sure about that.

> > And as with Mike Price in our club we have a go at anyone that has a bad game
> > or even a bad day.
> > If some of the people on this NG played cricket it wouldn't come as such a
> > shock and I'd say Muller now that he's heard it will be doing everything he
> > can to do better whether it's in the Australian team or not.
>
> But neither of you plays for a representative team. None of the players
> you bag are unsure of their future in the team. All of the players you
> bag know you fairly well.

Yes most times.

> If a new player came to play for your team. And he/she considered it to
> be an honour to be chosen for the team. And they played one game in which
> they did pretty averagely. And they knew that they would be lucky to keep
> their place in the side. Would you still bag them, particularly at a
> stage when your team is in a bad position, and still mean it as just a
> joke?

No you wouldn't saying anything to THEM but you would say something about them to
someone else that you have played with for a while and that's just what happened the
only problem this time was the mic but I don't think it was a sense of
elitism/snobbery that is unbecoming.

A Morgan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Mike Holmans <pos...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<383c1019...@news.axion.bt.co.uk>...

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:54:17 +1000, Moby Dick
> <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> decided to opine:
>
> >On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
> >
> >> "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> >> bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of
the
> >> Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> >> anyone know who it was that said it?
>
> >Unfortunately the prime
> >candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> >first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> >stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it
ranks
> >for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian
> >cricketer
>
> For someone who has castigated Ashes and the other loonies for dealing
> in ridiculous absolutes, that is a bit much. Betting against your own
> side, as at Headingley 1981, and rolling balls along the ground in
> ODIs when your brother tells you to come to mind immediately as things
> which would disappoint me rather more than making rude remarks about
> one of your team-mates who is playing badly.

Man for a small bird that cant fly (or can they?) Kiwis certainly have a
long memory!

A Morgan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
It sounded like a Chappell (Ian i think) to me. One of them was pretty
vocal about Muller and the fact that he 'shouldn't' have been selected.

Cheers

Ashes <As...@Ashes.nospam.au> wrote in article
<383bff5...@news.m.iinet.net.au>...

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:28:29 +1100, Peter Watkins

> <RUBBISH...@interact.net.au> wrote:
>
> >"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> >bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> >Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> >anyone know who it was that said it?

A Morgan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Chris Kuan <lo...@sig.please> wrote in article
<8E896D1F1lo...@134.18.241.18>...

> Moby Dick wrote in rec.sport.cricket:
>

> >> I think it came from the commentary box.
> >

> >*with* background noise and all?
>
> I think that one can't tell - if ALL the mikes are left open, the noises
tend to
> mingle - what startled me was the clarity, despite the low volume of the
comment.
> That makes me lean towards the commentary box, based on totally unfounded

> opinions of the relative quality of the mikes.

Sounds plausable to me. As i said earlier I think it was probably Ian
Chappell.

Cheers

Ashes

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

I still think it came from the commentry box. There is always
background noise from when they are in the commentry box.

I think what has happened as in Eng the commentaors put the mike down
and were talking amongst themselves and it just picked up what was in
the box. Already this season Tong Greig and Taylor were commenting on
a wedding across in a park at one of the grounds and made some
comments when they thought they were not on air. There was plenty of
background noise in that case as well. When they put the mike on there
laps or just hold it down it's likely to pickup background noise. The
mike has a piece of plastic up over the top and then points out to
just under the noise so when they speak a lot of the background noise
is blocked out but when they are resting they put the mike down where
more background noise is picked up.

I know some are making out it came from out in the ground just so they
can mouth off at certain cricketers but I think you'll find that it
came from the commentry box.

Ashes

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 07:43:02 +1000, Moby Dick
<s37...@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ashes wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:28:29 +1100, Peter Watkins
>> <RUBBISH...@interact.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> >"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
>> >bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
>> >Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
>> >anyone know who it was that said it?
>>

>> I think it came from the commentary box.
>
>*with* background noise and all?

The mikes have a mouth piece sticking out so they rest the mike just
in front of there mouth which blocks out most of the basckground
noise. Sometimes they leave it on by accident and whileresting on
there laps or whatever it picks up background noise.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Westie wrote:

> > If a new player came to play for your team. And he/she considered it to
> > be an honour to be chosen for the team. And they played one game in which
> > they did pretty averagely. And they knew that they would be lucky to keep
> > their place in the side. Would you still bag them, particularly at a
> > stage when your team is in a bad position, and still mean it as just a
> > joke?
>
> No you wouldn't saying anything to THEM but you would say something about them to
> someone else that you have played with for a while and that's just what happened the
> only problem this time was the mic but I don't think it was a sense of
> elitism/snobbery that is unbecoming.

I guess you're right... so long as Muller didn't hear it... although I'm
still not convinced that it doesn't show the person who said it somehow
believes that they are part of a club that they have some sort of "right"
to be in.....

It is after all, the Australian cricket team, and every player has earnt
their spot through a lot of hard work (must have been endless in BJ's
case..) In my mind it smacks of some form of elitism.

Moby Dick.
Having said all that I really want to stress that I don't care if no one
else holds this view... It's only my view after all. It's just that I
feel that those words were a bit of a low blow to all us arm-chair
fanatics who day-dream of representing their country (with of course no
hope in hell).. it's daunting to think that our heros would think so lowly
of us mere mortals.

Moby Dick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Ashes wrote:

> >The report on "The Panel" indicated that it came from outside the
> >commentary box. I heard it and I've heard other snippets in the past from
> >both the stump mike and the commentary box... The background noise was
> >that of outside, *not* of the type you normally get in the box.
>

> I still think it came from the commentry box. There is always
> background noise from when they are in the commentry box.

I'm starting to hope....

> I think what has happened as in Eng the commentaors put the mike down
> and were talking amongst themselves and it just picked up what was in
> the box. Already this season Tong Greig and Taylor were commenting on
> a wedding across in a park at one of the grounds and made some
> comments when they thought they were not on air. There was plenty of
> background noise in that case as well. When they put the mike on there
> laps or just hold it down it's likely to pickup background noise. The
> mike has a piece of plastic up over the top and then points out to
> just under the noise so when they speak a lot of the background noise
> is blocked out but when they are resting they put the mike down where
> more background noise is picked up.

I know that it will pick up back-ground noise, but the sound of the box is
a little different to the sound of the ground... I've been "priveledged"
to have heard the Tong Greig/mail-order bride incident as well as several
others and the sound is definately different. Having said that though,
every commentary box is different and it is quite possible that the
back-ground noise at Hobart at the time included sounds from outside (door
open etc..)
I am starting to hope.. but if it comes time to clutch at straws I want
them to be great big straws that aren't likely to break.

> I know some are making out it came from out in the ground just so they
> can mouth off at certain cricketers but I think you'll find that it
> came from the commentry box.

It certainly would be a better explaination of how Steve Quartermein (spl)
got hold of it than the one he gave.... but as I said, the way I heard it,
it sounded that the mic was an outside piece of equipment.

I do hope it was a member of the nein team... but I'm not as yet
convinced.

Shaun

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

A Morgan wrote in message <01bf36eb$ea3c5460$a95312cb@default>...

>It sounded like a Chappell (Ian i think) to me. One of them was pretty
>vocal about Muller and the fact that he 'shouldn't' have been selected.

I taped the show as i was out last night.
I've since listened to it and replayed it several times to try and figure
out who it was but it does not sound like any player i know.
Anyway i figured which players on other team get a bit narky at times and
that's usually Glen McGrath. Warney or Ponting about the only others i
could imagine. We hear Warney talk a lot and it did not sound like him. I'm
starting to tend to think it was someone in the commentary box in
background. Probably Ian Chappell. He's pretty blunt and i could imagine him
saying that off air
I also pretty much thought Muller bowled crap nearly every spell i seen him
in the 2 Tests so it does not surprise me, the comment that is.

>Cheers
>
>Ashes <As...@Ashes.nospam.au> wrote in article
><383bff5...@news.m.iinet.net.au>...

>> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:28:29 +1100, Peter Watkins
>> <RUBBISH...@interact.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> >"The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
>> >bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
>> >Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
>> >anyone know who it was that said it?
>>

>> I think it came from the commentary box.

Mike Holmans

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
In article <Pine.OSF.4.10.99112...@student.uq.edu.au>,
Moby Dick <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> decided to impart

>I guess you're right... so long as Muller didn't hear it... although I'm
>still not convinced that it doesn't show the person who said it somehow
>believes that they are part of a club that they have some sort of "right"
>to be in.....

It probably does, and in the cases of the vice-captain and Mwaugh, it's
not *that* far from the truth.

>It is after all, the Australian cricket team, and every player has earnt
>their spot through a lot of hard work (must have been endless in BJ's
>case..) In my mind it smacks of some form of elitism.

It does. The elitism of those who know they are good enough towards
those who don't seem to be.

In the Yorkshire team of the 60s - a team which hardly lost a game -
such a comment would not have been sotto voce, but shouted across the
ground. It would have been considered character-building.

Once you reach a Test side, nobody cares how much effort you have
expended to get there. All the Sheffield Shield matches you've played
count for nothing: all that counts is what you do for Australia. You
earn the respect of your team-mates by what you do for the team, not
what you did for a lesser one.

I'm not saying it's pretty or pleasant, but it happens. Put together a
software development team of a dozen, and if one of them is a useless
drongo, the others will bitch about him/her in the pub after work. When
he sits in a team meeting and trots out some more lame excuses for
failing to complete the tasks assigned, half of the rest will roll their
eyes at each other.

I realise you're not attempting to convince anyone else, but I think you
have an excessively romantic view of Test cricket and Test cricketers.

Cheers,

Mike
--
"I'm a little confused here." - Ashes

Craig

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
I think the point we are missing here is that Muller bowled like a third
grade player, and threw over Gilly's head from 30 metres away. In the
context of Test cricket, the comment was probably pretty correct.

Peter Watkins wrote:

> "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> anyone know who it was that said it?
>

> --
> Anti-SPAM measures in place. To reply, please remove RUBBISH from the
> email address. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Mike Price

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
I just heard it on the ABC and it sounded like Warney to me, but
really Steve Waugh got it right when he said that you cant have any
conversations these days without someone hearing everything you say.

Mike

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:09:37 +1100, Craig <love...@primus.com.au>

-BEN

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It
might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
but I think we all know i was. It was too muffled/filtered to be a
direct commentator, even though it was reasonably clear. (A bit like
Wasim Akram saying something like "how couldn't you hear that..." to
umpire Parker after he gave Langer not out).

Anyway, regarding the voice. It certainly isn't Gilly's voice, &
doesn't sound particularly like Warne's either to the trained ear.

Who have I concluded it was? Well, let's just say that I hope the
captain has a word to his twin brother some time very soon. :)

-BEN

Ian Galbraith

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:52:46 +1100, "Shaun" <shd...@mpx.com.au> wrote:

:A Morgan wrote in message <01bf36eb$ea3c5460$a95312cb@default>...

:>It sounded like a Chappell (Ian i think) to me. One of them was pretty
:>vocal about Muller and the fact that he 'shouldn't' have been selected.

:I taped the show as i was out last night.
:I've since listened to it and replayed it several times to try and figure
:out who it was but it does not sound like any player i know.

It was played on 3AW tonight. It didn't sound like it came from the field.
Comparing the voice to Warne saying bowler a second earlier it sounds like
it came from the box.

[snip]

Be Seeing You
--
Ian Galbraith
Email: igalb...@ozonline.com.au ICQ#: 7849631

"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings
kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet
is so much paper and ink. For a shilling the Bruddersford United AFC
offered you conflict and art." - J.B. Priestley

Col Wallace

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

> > If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
> > players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime

> > candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> > first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> > stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd

It was Warney! Sounded just like him. The sweep-shot Muller was retrieving
came from a Warne delivery, and it's common for bowlers to get pissed off
with poor fielding from their own bowling. It was a very catty and bitchy
remark for him to make, especially since Muller hung around in Brisbane
while Warne clubbed the Pakis all over the place for his 86.

After the Tony Greig debacle, I doubt a commentator would risk making a
comment like that. It may have come from the crowd, there is every chance of
that, but I'd be very surprised if the remark came from anywhere but the gob
of that chubby blond fella! I love Warney, but I know he'll disappoint me
occasionaly. Not surprisingly, I always find him easy to forgive, especially
when he sends down balls like that one that got Anwar. His performance in
that World Cup semi was one of the most awe-inspiring performances I have
ever seen a sportsman give. Inspirational!

Cheers
Col

-BEN

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
It didn't sound like Warne at all to me. Don't just think "it's sort of
ocker, it must be Warne", coz it doesn't really have his vocal
characteristics. The "bowl" word doesn't sound like Warne at all, it
sounds like someone else.

-BEN

PADDY

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

-BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nah, Mark's voice is quite nasaly, I reckon it sounded more like Shane

Paddy

Ian Galbraith

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:29:51 +0800, -BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote:

:Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It

:might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
:but I think we all know i was.

We do?? Quaterbrain has zero credibility I would take anything he says with
a grain of salt. Listen to it carefully and compare the voice with Warne
saying bowler a second earlier, it sounds like its from the box.

Daniel Laidlaw

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne. To
me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think any
more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown up
into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
conference!

Daniel

Moby Dick <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Peter Watkins wrote:
>
> > "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> > bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> > Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> > anyone know who it was that said it?
>

> Just saw it... Darn daylight saving robbed me of the first report.

> It certainly came from outside the commentary box (the background noise of
> the crowd was apparent), but I sincerely hope it came from a misplaced
> mike on one of the cameras rather than from either of the stump mikes.
>

> If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
> players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
> candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the

> stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd, but if it didn't it ranks
> for me as the most dissapointing thing ever done by an Australian

> cricketer and I'd certainly lose a lot of faith in my countrymen thinking
> that it was only one incident of many that weren't picked up over the
> years.
>
> Moby Dick.
> Very, very dissapointed.

Mike Holmans

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On 25 Nov 1999 13:25:21 +1000, "A Morgan" <ja...@powerup.com.au>
decided to opine:

>> For someone who has castigated Ashes and the other loonies for dealing

>> in ridiculous absolutes, that is a bit much. Betting against your own
>> side, as at Headingley 1981, and rolling balls along the ground in
>> ODIs when your brother tells you to come to mind immediately as things
>> which would disappoint me rather more than making rude remarks about
>> one of your team-mates who is playing badly.
>
>Man for a small bird that cant fly (or can they?) Kiwis certainly have a
>long memory!

I'm small. I can't fly. I have a prodigious memory. Does this mean I
can now have a New Zealand passport?

Cheers,

Mike Price

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:29:51 +0800, -BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player.
It
>might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a
player,

>but I think we all know i was. It was too muffled/filtered to be a
>direct commentator, even though it was reasonably clear. (A bit like

>Wasim Akram saying something like "how couldn't you hear that..." to
>umpire Parker after he gave Langer not out).
>
>Anyway, regarding the voice. It certainly isn't Gilly's voice, &
>doesn't sound particularly like Warne's either to the trained ear.

It sounded exactly like Warne to me, not just "because it sounds
ocker", because it sounds just like him

Not that I care one way or the other about the comment

Ashes

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:58:49 +1100, "PADDY" <paddy@i am getting a new
email account.com> wrote:

>Daniel Laidlaw <lea...@yp-connect.net> wrote in message

>> The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne.
>> me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
>> time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
>> came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think
>any
>> more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown
>up
>> into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
>> conference!
>>
>> Daniel
>

>Super piece of writing that Daniel.
>
>Indeed Shane was the culprit, i heard it live, but forgot about it until
>just a few hours ago. Now I re watched some super channel 9 footage, and
>indeed it does appear that thvoice is that of S.K Warne.
>
>But we must rememeber that what was said was indeed true, yes indeed, Muller
>cannot bowl, and well, his fielding was not exactly in Jonty Rhodes fashion.
>
>Paddy...agreeing with Shane Warne

No I don't think it sounds like any member of the oz team.
I'm pretty sure it came from the commentry box.

Ian Galbraith

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:08:03 +1030, Daniel Laidlaw wrote:

:The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne. To

:me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
:time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
:came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think any
:more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown up
:into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
:conference!

So explain how Warne's calling out bowler was so faint, and then all of a
sudden is so clear a second later. Apart from that the 2 voices didn't
sound the same.

[snip]

amast...@rocketmail.com

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

In a press conference, Steve Waugh said he didn't know where the voice came
from, but in the same breath he argued that there should be more privacy
for players' conversations on the field.

Asa

Sent via http://www.trading-ideas.com

Yossarian

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

> > > If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the
Pakistani
> > > players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
> > > candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
> > > first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
> > > stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd

What about bat pad. or short cover if one was in place. That would bring
into play my main candidate - Ricky Ponting who would say such a thing. I
know Langer was in close a fair bit but didn't Ponting have a stint there?
If he did, it sounded more like him than Warne or Gilchrist.

> It was Warney! Sounded just like him.

Not sure it was Warne.

PADDY

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

Col Wallace <wcg...@fastlink.com.au> wrote in message

> It was Warney! Sounded just like him. The sweep-shot Muller was retrieving
> came from a Warne delivery, and it's common for bowlers to get pissed off
> with poor fielding from their own bowling.

Col, indeed you are correct, it was Shane, I have viewd some great channel 9
commentry and highlights tonight again, and it was warney.

> After the Tony Greig debacle, I doubt a commentator would risk making a
> comment like that.

Well, not so sure about that, The commentry position is much like the
missionary position, it is a hive of activity, but on this occassion it was
from the mouth of SK Warne.

He of course was fully correct in his little piece of ground commentry

Paddy

--
Join Dingo Blue. Join and get $60 credit. Unlim net for $25 a month. Phone
1300 55 1455, or www.dingoblue.net.au .Quote 100034781 for the credit.

PADDY

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

Yossarian <stoc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > It was Warney! Sounded just like him.
>
> Not sure it was Warne.

I can tell you it was SK Warne, Gilly's voice is a lot more nasaly than the
voice we heard on the marvellous channel 9 stumpcam mic.

Paddy

PADDY

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

> The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne.
> me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
> time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
> came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think
any
> more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown
up
> into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
> conference!
>
> Daniel

Super piece of writing that Daniel.

Indeed Shane was the culprit, i heard it live, but forgot about it until
just a few hours ago. Now I re watched some super channel 9 footage, and
indeed it does appear that thvoice is that of S.K Warne.

But we must rememeber that what was said was indeed true, yes indeed, Muller
cannot bowl, and well, his fielding was not exactly in Jonty Rhodes fashion.

Paddy...agreeing with Shane Warne

James Stewart

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

Now now Paddy....we all know about your love for channel nein. BTW,
there were no stumpcams used at Hobart :) ...more like pitch mic

> Paddy

PADDY

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

James Stewart <bull...@rleague.com> wrote in message

Channel 9s marvelllous stump mic..same thing:)

Another great innovation by channel 9, THEY just continue to re-invent their
already super coverage.

be watching tomorrow at 1 pm eastern time.

Word is that Bill and Tony will open, as they haven't opened for a while

Paddy

Trent

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
I was pretty sure it was Mark Waugh, he was at slip wasn't he? I though it
sounded like the ad he does for Nozoril?

Trent

PADDY <paddy@i am getting a new email account.com> wrote in message

> Col Wallace <wcg...@fastlink.com.au> wrote in message
>
> > It was Warney! Sounded just like him. The sweep-shot Muller was
retrieving
> > came from a Warne delivery, and it's common for bowlers to get pissed
off
> > with poor fielding from their own bowling.
>
> Col, indeed you are correct, it was Shane, I have viewd some great channel
9
> commentry and highlights tonight again, and it was warney.
>
> > After the Tony Greig debacle, I doubt a commentator would risk making a
> > comment like that.
>
> Well, not so sure about that, The commentry position is much like the
> missionary position, it is a hive of activity, but on this occassion it
was
> from the mouth of SK Warne.
>
> He of course was fully correct in his little piece of ground commentry

-BEN

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
I don't think it sounds like Shane at all. Warne would say "booooowl",
not "bowl" (rather swiftly). It sounds like MW to me. It realyl
doesn't sound like Warne at all, & I suspect he's too nice a guy to say
this anyway.

-BEN

Shaun

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

I don't think so. Did not sound like Warne to me and i re-played it several
times to try to figure out who it was.
Yesterday i was starting to think it was Ian Chappell but then hearing it
again it don't sound like him either.
The voice sounds pretty unfamilar. The more i think about it i think it
maybe someone on the Channel crew but i doubt it was a commentator as we all
know their voices pretty well also and i can't think it sounds like any one
of them

BTW, be careful pointing the finger at Warne on here.
He is pretty pissed off with people assuming he said it because he was at
the bowling crease and is thinking of taking legal action against accusers
and i don't blame him

Col Wallace wrote in message <81ja7o$iof$1...@news1.mpx.com.au>...

>> > If it was the stump mike, then it certainly wasn't one of the Pakistani
>> > players as the accent was not Pakistani. Unfortunately the prime
>> > candidates are Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist or whoever was standing at
>> > first slip (I think M.Waugh) as they were the closest players to the
>> > stumps..... I hope that it came from the crowd
>

>It was Warney! Sounded just like him. The sweep-shot Muller was retrieving
>came from a Warne delivery, and it's common for bowlers to get pissed off

>with poor fielding from their own bowling. It was a very catty and bitchy
>remark for him to make, especially since Muller hung around in Brisbane
>while Warne clubbed the Pakis all over the place for his 86.
>

>After the Tony Greig debacle, I doubt a commentator would risk making a

Matthew van de Werken

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Channel 9 has stated that it was said by a cameraman, so all the
speculation can now stop.

Cheers,
MvdW

Steve Ryan

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:28:22 +1000, Matthew van de Werken
<m.vand...@cat.csiro.au> wrote:

>Channel 9 has stated that it was said by a cameraman, so all the
>speculation can now stop.
>
>Cheers,
>MvdW

If this were the case wouldn't we be hearing comments throughout
cricket broadcasts?

Cheers
Steve

Timmy the Mediocre

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

Ian Galbraith <igalb...@ozonline.com.au> wrote in message

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:29:51 +0800, -BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> :Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It
> :might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
> :but I think we all know i was.
>
> We do?? Quaterbrain has zero credibility I would take anything he says
with
> a grain of salt. Listen to it carefully and compare the voice with Warne
> saying bowler a second earlier, it sounds like its from the box.

According to the "Cricket Show" today.(Day One, Third Test), Channel Nine
has been able to 'isolate' the audio and can categorically deny it was a
player. An apology was also offered for any inference that Ch9 had made in
that regard prior. Apparently, "technology" was used to clear the matter.
Obviously, it was invented only in the last twenty four hours, for surely, a
reporter wouldn't shoot off a headline without the complete
story......right....

Tim

Ashes

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:27:46 +1100, "Timmy the Mediocre"
<agro...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Ian Galbraith <igalb...@ozonline.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:29:51 +0800, -BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> :Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It
>> :might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
>> :but I think we all know i was.
>>
>> We do?? Quaterbrain has zero credibility I would take anything he says
>with
>> a grain of salt. Listen to it carefully and compare the voice with Warne
>> saying bowler a second earlier, it sounds like its from the box.
>>

>According to the "Cricket Show" today.(Day One, Third Test), Channel Nine
>has been able to 'isolate' the audio and can categorically deny it was a
>player. An apology was also offered for any inference that Ch9 had made in
>that regard prior. Apparently, "technology" was used to clear the matter.
>Obviously, it was invented only in the last twenty four hours, for surely, a
>reporter wouldn't shoot off a headline without the complete
>story......right....

It's all for ratings which is a sad state of affairs these days.
First there was the umpire was said to say sorry for Langer
in the first innings which turned out not to be true now this.

What's next I wonder?

Ashes

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:38:48 +1000, "Trent"
<s34...@nospam.student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>I was pretty sure it was Mark Waugh, he was at slip wasn't he? I though it
>sounded like the ad he does for Nozoril?

It wasn't any player. Someone posted that on the ch9 cricket show
they isolated the comment and said that it definately didn't
come from any player.

This should be the end of the matter hopefully.
I think some people who rushed out with remarks like it was Warney
should say they are sorry or something for assuming the worst.

Ashes

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 02:01:54 GMT, m...@adm.monash.edu.au (Steve Ryan)
wrote:

When the ball is hit out in to the outer and the camera angle goes to
a certain camera only then the mic is turned on so you can hear the
player moving towards the ball.

Ashes

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:51:57 GMT, igalb...@ozonline.com.au (Ian
Galbraith) wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:08:03 +1030, Daniel Laidlaw wrote:
>

>:The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne. To

>:me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
>:time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
>:came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think any
>:more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown up
>:into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
>:conference!
>

>So explain how Warne's calling out bowler was so faint, and then all of a
>sudden is so clear a second later. Apart from that the 2 voices didn't
>sound the same.

It's been proved today that it didn't come from any player.
Ch9 used it's technology to prove this. So watch ch9 news tonight
for more info.

Ashes

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:25:47 -0500, amast...@rocketmail.com wrote:

>In a press conference, Steve Waugh said he didn't know where the voice came
>from, but in the same breath he argued that there should be more privacy
>for players' conversations on the field.

It doesn't matter now as it's been proved it didn't come from a
player. Watch ch9 news tonight apparently they have proved
it so I guess we all watch ch9 news tonight for a answer to
what occured.

larry

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Warne did'nt say it.

But he should have.

QarnoS

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

Mike Price wrote:

> I would have to agree, We (The team I play for) always give each
> other shit when playing, to a greater extent to our own players than
> to the opposition.
> I would not worry too much about it.
>
> Mike

Our indoor team give each other shit like you can't imagine. Sometimes
it's hard to tell wether it serious or not. On guy wanted to try his hand
at keeping, and in his 2nd over as keeper missed 5 out of 6 of the
easiest stumping chances you could imagine. Even the umpire was pissing
himself laughing.... he copped more than his fair share of shit that
night; and, needless to say, has never kept again.

-- QarnoS

{ Insert witty comment here }

an...@ghdfglj.com

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Mike Price wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:29:51 +0800, -BEN <lav...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player.
> It
> >might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a
> player,
> >but I think we all know i was. It was too muffled/filtered to be a
> >direct commentator, even though it was reasonably clear. (A bit like
>
> >Wasim Akram saying something like "how couldn't you hear that..." to
> >umpire Parker after he gave Langer not out).
> >
> >Anyway, regarding the voice. It certainly isn't Gilly's voice, &
> >doesn't sound particularly like Warne's either to the trained ear.
>
> It sounded exactly like Warne to me, not just "because it sounds
> ocker", because it sounds just like him
>
> Not that I care one way or the other about the comment
Apparently it was not Warney, but a TV cameraman, according to ABC
radio.

Peter Watkins

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
QarnoS wrote:
> Our indoor team give each other shit like you can't imagine. Sometimes
> it's hard to tell wether it serious or not. On guy wanted to try his hand
> at keeping, and in his 2nd over as keeper missed 5 out of 6 of the
> easiest stumping chances you could imagine. Even the umpire was pissing
> himself laughing.... he copped more than his fair share of shit that
> night; and, needless to say, has never kept again.
>
> -- QarnoS

Yes, but indoor cricket is not cricket. In fact, it's not a sport; it's
a business disguised as a sport. I've cheated and sledged like all shit
in indoor cricket, but never in real sports, ie cricket, football, golf,
tennis, athletics.

--
Anti-SPAM measures in place. To reply, please remove RUBBISH from the
email address. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Moby Dick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Mike Holmans wrote:

> In article <Pine.OSF.4.10.99112...@student.uq.edu.au>,
> Moby Dick <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> decided to impart
>
> >I guess you're right... so long as Muller didn't hear it... although I'm
> >still not convinced that it doesn't show the person who said it somehow
> >believes that they are part of a club that they have some sort of "right"
> >to be in.....
>
> It probably does, and in the cases of the vice-captain and Mwaugh, it's
> not *that* far from the truth.
> >
> >It is after all, the Australian cricket team, and every player has earnt
> >their spot through a lot of hard work (must have been endless in BJ's
> >case..) In my mind it smacks of some form of elitism.
> >
> It does. The elitism of those who know they are good enough towards
> those who don't seem to be.
>
> In the Yorkshire team of the 60s - a team which hardly lost a game -
> such a comment would not have been sotto voce, but shouted across the
> ground. It would have been considered character-building.
>
> Once you reach a Test side, nobody cares how much effort you have
> expended to get there. All the Sheffield Shield matches you've played
> count for nothing: all that counts is what you do for Australia. You
> earn the respect of your team-mates by what you do for the team, not
> what you did for a lesser one.
>
> I'm not saying it's pretty or pleasant, but it happens. Put together a
> software development team of a dozen, and if one of them is a useless
> drongo, the others will bitch about him/her in the pub after work. When
> he sits in a team meeting and trots out some more lame excuses for
> failing to complete the tasks assigned, half of the rest will roll their
> eyes at each other.
>
> I realise you're not attempting to convince anyone else, but I think you
> have an excessively romantic view of Test cricket and Test cricketers.

Point taken... even though it's academic now that Nein has confirmed the
sound did not come from either of the stump mics.

Moby Dick.
The revolution is dead. Long live the revolution.

Moby Dick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Craig wrote:

> I think the point we are missing here is that Muller bowled like a third
> grade player, and threw over Gilly's head from 30 metres away. In the
> context of Test cricket, the comment was probably pretty correct.

Muller's bowling didn't exactly set the world a-fire, but it wasn't
anything like "third-grade"... His figures were only just worse than
McGrath's and you do seem to forget his 3- in one innings. Granted, it
wasn't the best display of fielding from that throw, but you are also
forgetting his excellent catch off the bowling of Fleming. Take into
account that he is a new ball bowler and gernerally had to bowl into the
wind with an old ball and it starts to look a lot less like a "third"
grade performance and more like the good shield level bowler that he is.

> Peter Watkins wrote:
>
> > "The Panel" tonight had a clip from the last test where Muller made a
> > bad throw from the outfield. Quite clearly, just afterwards, one of the
> > Australian players said "He can't bowl, and he can't throw." Does
> > anyone know who it was that said it?

> > --
> > Anti-SPAM measures in place. To reply, please remove RUBBISH from the
> > email address. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Moby Dick.

Moby Dick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, -BEN wrote:

> Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It
> might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
> but I think we all know i was. It was too muffled/filtered to be a
> direct commentator, even though it was reasonably clear. (A bit like
> Wasim Akram saying something like "how couldn't you hear that..." to
> umpire Parker after he gave Langer not out).
>
> Anyway, regarding the voice. It certainly isn't Gilly's voice, &
> doesn't sound particularly like Warne's either to the trained ear.
>

> Who have I concluded it was? Well, let's just say that I hope the
> captain has a word to his twin brother some time very soon. :)

Why wasn't it Gilly's voice?

That aside, the information supplied on the Panel was to the effect that
it *wasn't* a commentator, NOT that it *wasn't* a player.

Further information supplied by Nein would indicate that it did not come
from a player either and it most likely came from a member of the crowd.

Moby Dick.
Quite relieved.

Moby Dick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Daniel Laidlaw wrote:

> The voice came from the stump microphone and the culprit is Shane Warne. To
> me, the voice was umistakably clear. I believe Warne was the bowler at the
> time and was standing near the stumps at the bowler's end when the throw
> came in from Muller. I heard it live and was surprised, but didn't think any
> more of it until it was highlighted by The Panel. It seems to have blown up
> into a controversy now, as Steve Waugh was questioned about it at a press
> conference!

Who said it came from the stump mic?

I'm inclined to believe the reports from Nein which indicate that it
*didn't* come from the stump mics.. especially since this may shift some
blame onto them.. (ie, I wouldn't believe them if they said it didn't come
from the box, but i would if they said it didn't come from the players...
nothing to gain and everything to lose sort of thing)

Moby Dick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Timmy the Mediocre wrote:

> According to the "Cricket Show" today.(Day One, Third Test), Channel Nine
> has been able to 'isolate' the audio and can categorically deny it was a
> player. An apology was also offered for any inference that Ch9 had made in
> that regard prior. Apparently, "technology" was used to clear the matter.
> Obviously, it was invented only in the last twenty four hours, for surely, a
> reporter wouldn't shoot off a headline without the complete
> story......right....
>

> Tim

The original story was presented on Ch10... Nines *first* reporting of the
incident included the origin of the voicer.

Moby Dick.
But Gilchrist didn't make any errors.
-Ashes.

Dave Proctor

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Ashes <As...@Ashes.nospam.au> wrote in message

> It's been proved today that it didn't come from any player.

> Ch9 used it's technology to prove this. So watch ch9 news tonight
> for more info.

They have proved nothing of the sort. They only said it came from someone in
the crowd.

<CONSPIRACY THEORY>
Who is to say that the ACB, in trying to defuse the situation and promote
team harmony, did not ask Channel Nine to make that statement?
</CONSPIRACY THEORY>

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au

Will Sutton

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

Moby Dick <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message news:Pine.OSF.4.10.991127...@student.uq.edu.au...

Apparently is was a cameraman who made the comment................

Ashes

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

Or someone in the crowd.

Mac

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:01:02 +1100, "Dave Proctor"
<dap...@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:

>Ashes <As...@Ashes.nospam.au> wrote in message
>
>> It's been proved today that it didn't come from any player.
>> Ch9 used it's technology to prove this. So watch ch9 news tonight
>> for more info.
>
>They have proved nothing of the sort. They only said it came from someone in
>the crowd.

Which is bullshit! Why don't we hear the crowd all the time. You'd
think the cover up would be a little classier

Ashes

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:32:32 GMT, mcar...@giant.net.au (Mac) wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:01:02 +1100, "Dave Proctor"
><dap...@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:
>
>>Ashes <As...@Ashes.nospam.au> wrote in message
>>
>>> It's been proved today that it didn't come from any player.
>>> Ch9 used it's technology to prove this. So watch ch9 news tonight
>>> for more info.
>>
>>They have proved nothing of the sort. They only said it came from someone in
>>the crowd.
>>

>Which is bullshit! Why don't we hear the crowd all the time. You'd
>think the cover up would be a little classier

Yes you do here the crowd many times during the day.
There is always someone in the crowd saying something which
is heard both on abc radio and on the tv.

>><CONSPIRACY THEORY>

No just people trying to make something out of nothing.

Peter Brown

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
> >Apparently is was a cameraman who made the comment................
>
> Or someone in the crowd.

Or someone on the field. Glad we've sorted that all out.

Mac

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

Including Muller it now seems

Mad Hamish

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:43:43 +1000, Moby Dick <s37...@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, -BEN wrote:
>
>> Well Steve Courtemaine on the Panel said it was definitely a player. It
>> might be unsensationalist & polically correct to say it wasn't a player,
>> but I think we all know i was. It was too muffled/filtered to be a
>> direct commentator, even though it was reasonably clear. (A bit like
>> Wasim Akram saying something like "how couldn't you hear that..." to
>> umpire Parker after he gave Langer not out).
>>
>> Anyway, regarding the voice. It certainly isn't Gilly's voice, &
>> doesn't sound particularly like Warne's either to the trained ear.
>>
>> Who have I concluded it was? Well, let's just say that I hope the
>> captain has a word to his twin brother some time very soon. :)
>

>Why wasn't it Gilly's voice?

I'd say it sounded nothing at all like Gilly, and we're always likely to know
what the Australian wicketkeeper sounds like over the stump mike <g>

>That aside, the information supplied on the Panel was to the effect that
>it *wasn't* a commentator, NOT that it *wasn't* a player.
>
>Further information supplied by Nein would indicate that it did not come
>from a player either and it most likely came from a member of the crowd.

The Politician's Slogan
'You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Fortunately only a simple majority is required.'

Mad Hamish

Hamish Laws
h_l...@postoffice.utas.edu.au
h_l...@tassie.net.au