Some thoughts on KoH Final

1 view

Ed McCune

Aug 17, 2006, 6:30:31 PM8/17/06
First of all I was quite pleased with the overall production. Much better
than the first couple and better than anything else out there in the way
of pool. Even the commentary was better than before. I think it was very
entertaining. I attempted to pretend I was a pool banger (not hard really)
and had only played in bars occasionally and I think I would have tuned in
for this is again if I saw it once.

However, the commentary was so biased as to be ridiculous. If I hear one
more time how lucky "Efram" is and how poor old Mike had no breaks at all
I think I will barf!!! Excuse after excuse after excuse for Segal's poor
play by the commentators. You'd think every shot of Reyes was pure luck
and every miss of Segal's was on a super hard, unlucky leave, no matter he
did it to himself mostly. They actually said at one point that Reyes
looked sheepish at the "way he was winning". As if he didn't deserve to
win. What bullshit!!

Also (and I'm sorry for this John B.) I really am not too fond of Mike
Segal now. I hadn't ever seen him play before but now that I have...what a
blowhard. Mike "the mouth" is constantly preparing excuses for why he is
going to lose or miss, before he does. He is exactly the kind of guy I
hate to play and love to beat when I do. Whining and carrying on about how
unlucky he is constantly. What a jerk. Now I don't know if he was always
like this or if this is just a show he put on for the TV, but I suspect
this is the true Mike. And Jack...I can see how if you have never heard of
him, you would doubt he was any good from this showing. He displayed very
poor mechanics. He did win all those championships 10 years ago though so
I suspect the layoff has eroded his skills some. he obviously is not the
player he once was. He wasn't much better in this latest tournament I see,
either.

As for Reyes...finally some quality 8 ball. If you overlook a few bad
misses in the 2nd set you will see a man who truly seems to understand how
to play 8 ball. (In my admittedly non-expert opinion.) His patterns are
great, his ball speed awesome and his touch superb. Note how little ball
movement he has. Just sliding from one ball to the next. Jack; if you have
this taped go back and watch some of the earlier stuff from the other
episodes and then watch Reyes play. You will see what Hank and I were
talking about regards to patterns. Now I know they only showed the
mistakes of the other guys and I'm no longer arguing that they don't play
good patterns. I'm just saying that *from what they DO show* Reyes has far
superior 8 ball skills than the others.
I wish they had showed more Manalo games.

All in all a good enjoyable production, though. I can't wait till the next
one on this last tournament. It should be cool to watch Hohman and Manalo
runnout rack after rack.

Ed
mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

---

JakartaDean

Aug 17, 2006, 11:35:24 PM8/17/06
Ed McCune wrote:

> I wish they had showed more Manalo games.
>
> All in all a good enjoyable production, though. I can't wait till the next
> one on this last tournament. It should be cool to watch Hohman and Manalo
> runnout rack after rack.

If you care to poke around YouTube, there are a few there (not great
resolution, however). One is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9KbmlsSFI&mode=related&search=

I'm not sure about copyright on this stuff -- is it legal to download or
are uploaders (& downloaders?) infringing on KT's or OLN's rights?

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. WTF is going in this group the last day or two? After a day off,
I got a couple of hundred new messages this morning, almost of which are
new aliases of FL and his enemies. I can't add them to my killfile fast
enough (and don't want to plonk Gerda, in case she writes me <VBG>).

Ed McCune

Aug 18, 2006, 12:01:18 AM8/18/06
On Aug 17 2006 10:35 PM, JakartaDean wrote:

> If you care to poke around YouTube, there are a few there (not great
> resolution, however). One is
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9KbmlsSFI&mode=related&search=

Thanks for that link Dean. Excellent stuff even though, as you say, pretty
poor quality. I won't be tempted into nkeeping it then. I tis very
instructional though. Those 2 really take the time to read the table an
optimize their patterns. You can see this from the first video. Very
precise play, even when the table seems wide open. I'll have to watch the
rest this weekend and see if those 2 finalists seem a lot better than the
others.

> P.S. WTF is going in this group the last day or two? After a day off,
> I got a couple of hundred new messages this morning, almost of which are
> new aliases of FL and his enemies. I can't add them to my killfile fast
> enough (and don't want to plonk Gerda, in case she writes me <VBG>).

Ya, pretty bad. The three stooges are at it again. I'd hoped Blackjack
could control Debra better . maybe they're not together anymore. Her and
Eric don't seem to realize that most of us don't like them any more than
we like Crazy Larry. There are 3 peas in a pod really. I used to like
watching the 3 stooges but now I'll just see what I imagine are the 3
faces of the Rec.Sport.Stooges superimposed.

Ed

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

John Black

Aug 18, 2006, 10:35:55 AM8/18/06
In article <12eadcf...@corp.supernews.com>, deanb...@forteinc.com
says...

> P.S. WTF is going in this group the last day or two? After a day off,
> I got a couple of hundred new messages this morning, almost of which are
> new aliases of FL and his enemies. I can't add them to my killfile fast
> enough (and don't want to plonk Gerda, in case she writes me <VBG>).

Every once in a while he runs out of his meds and firebombs the group
with tons of obnoxious posts under many new aliases. He really is an
asshole who apparently enjoys pissing people off. I've tried in the
past to examine his posting headers to try to come up with a way to
filter him no matter what alias he comes up with but couldn't find
anything that was either consistent or wouldn't filter out others as
well. So for now the killfile gets bigger and bigger.

John Black

John Black

Aug 18, 2006, 10:55:06 AM8/18/06
In article <797fr3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
says...

> However, the commentary was so biased as to be ridiculous. If I hear one
> more time how lucky "Efram" is and how poor old Mike had no breaks at all
> I think I will barf!!! Excuse after excuse after excuse for Segal's poor
> play by the commentators. You'd think every shot of Reyes was pure luck

However, many of those "bad leave" comments they made were after Reyes'
break which would then have some element of luck to it.

> Also (and I'm sorry for this John B.) I really am not too fond of Mike
> Segal now. I hadn't ever seen him play before but now that I have...what a
> blowhard. Mike "the mouth" is constantly preparing excuses for why he is
> going to lose or miss, before he does. He is exactly the kind of guy I
> hate to play and love to beat when I do. Whining and carrying on about how
> unlucky he is constantly. What a jerk. Now I don't know if he was always
> like this or if this is just a show he put on for the TV, but I suspect
> this is the true Mike. And Jack...I can see how if you have never heard of
> him, you would doubt he was any good from this showing. He displayed very
> poor mechanics. He did win all those championships 10 years ago though so
> I suspect the layoff has eroded his skills some. he obviously is not the
> player he once was. He wasn't much better in this latest tournament I see,
> either.

Perfectly valid conclusion based on this match. I was assuming skills
would not erode from the world champion level to bad player in 10 years
but aging can be an awful process... :-) I'd like to see a rematch
someday.

> As for Reyes...finally some quality 8 ball. If you overlook a few bad
> misses in the 2nd set you will see a man who truly seems to understand how
> to play 8 ball. (In my admittedly non-expert opinion.) His patterns are
> great, his ball speed awesome and his touch superb. Note how little ball
> movement he has. Just sliding from one ball to the next. Jack; if you have
> this taped go back and watch some of the earlier stuff from the other
> episodes and then watch Reyes play. You will see what Hank and I were
> talking about regards to patterns. Now I know they only showed the
> mistakes of the other guys and I'm no longer arguing that they don't play
> good patterns. I'm just saying that *from what they DO show* Reyes has far
> superior 8 ball skills than the others.
> I wish they had showed more Manalo games.

Reyes has always been in a class almost by himself. Its interesting to
note though that of all the times Sigel and Reyes have met head to head
in tournaments, Sigel has won more.

John Black

SteveE

Aug 18, 2006, 10:52:23 AM8/18/06
On Aug 18 2006 11:35 AM, John Black wrote:

> Every once in a while he runs out of his meds and firebombs the group
> with tons of obnoxious posts under many new aliases. He really is an ...
> John Black

His latest episode has forced me to filter everything that comes from a
yahoo.com address. We all joke about it, but the man really is disturbed.
There is an up side however ... he makes me look sane by comparison. :)
Better to wear out than to rust out.

Ed McCune

Aug 18, 2006, 9:52:16 PM8/18/06
On Aug 18 2006 9:55 AM, John Black wrote:

> In article <797fr3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
> says...
> > However, the commentary was so biased as to be ridiculous. If I hear one
> > more time how lucky "Efram" is and how poor old Mike had no breaks at all
> > I think I will barf!!! Excuse after excuse after excuse for Segal's poor
> > play by the commentators. You'd think every shot of Reyes was pure luck
>
> However, many of those "bad leave" comments they made were after Reyes'
> break which would then have some element of luck to it.

This is true but they really weren't all that bad of leaves. Sigel did
have options after Reyes break he just didn't execute very well. Then when
he failed in his execution he yapped on about bad leaves.

Ed
mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

Ed McCune

Aug 18, 2006, 9:57:16 PM8/18/06
On Aug 18 2006 9:55 AM, John Black wrote:

> Reyes has always been in a class almost by himself. Its interesting to
> note though that of all the times Sigel and Reyes have met head to head
> in tournaments, Sigel has won more.

This is what they said and I have heard this elsewhere bu that was 10
years ago and at nine ball wasn't it...or was there some straight pool
too. Anyway Reyes has stated several times that nine ball is his worst
game. Obviously 8 ball is one of his best. I think that at 50 years of age
this IPT thing is pretty wearing on him. He mentioned in the final 18 that
his nerves were playing hell with him. I think he said that every shot was
so difficult because of the pressure that he was finding it hard
physically. I suppose this is why Hohman wants to hire a trainer.

Ed

PS:
Thanks for the comments John. You should post more often. You obviously
think a lot about the game and have insightful comments to add. i would
like to hear what you think more often.

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

----

John Black

Aug 19, 2006, 5:56:15 PM8/19/06
In article <7q0hr3x...@recgroups.com>, recg...@s-c-ellis.com
says...

> On Aug 18 2006 11:35 AM, John Black wrote:
> >
> > Every once in a while he runs out of his meds and firebombs the group
> > with tons of obnoxious posts under many new aliases. He really is an ...
> > John Black
>
> His latest episode has forced me to filter everything that comes from a
> yahoo.com address. We all joke about it, but the man really is disturbed.
> There is an up side however ... he makes me look sane by comparison. :)

I can do that easily (filter all from yahoo.com)... 1) does it get all
the "bozos"? and 2) wouldn't it filter a bunch of non bozos?

John Black

John Black

Aug 19, 2006, 6:16:30 PM8/19/06
In article <so7ir3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
says...

> On Aug 18 2006 9:55 AM, John Black wrote:

> > Reyes has always been in a class almost by himself. Its interesting to
> > note though that of all the times Sigel and Reyes have met head to head
> > in tournaments, Sigel has won more.
>
> This is what they said and I have heard this elsewhere bu that was 10
> years ago and at nine ball wasn't it...or was there some straight pool
> too. Anyway Reyes has stated several times that nine ball is his worst
> game. Obviously 8 ball is one of his best.

I'm surprised Reyes says 9-ball is his worst game. First of all, I'd
love to play 9-ball as "bad" as him. But what does he consider his
game/games? In the past, I've seen him play 9-ball almost exclusively
and most of his titles are 9-ball including those two famous $100,000
Color of Money challenges against Strickland (I belive they were a race
to 120 games). Here is a quick summary that I found on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes

"In 1995 he won 6 major events, and at the time was considered the best
9-ball player in the country. He continued to win major events through
the new millennium and has proven himself to be one of the best players
to ever pick up a cue--especially in nine ball. In 2001, he posted
unprecedented tournament winnings of just over $200,000."

> PS:
> Thanks for the comments John. You should post more often. You obviously
> think a lot about the game and have insightful comments to add. i would
> like to hear what you think more often.

Thanks. I contribute where it makes sense for my level. I'm a
recreational player who sometimes plays league. I was an APA 6 when I
stopped playing APA some years ago. I'm better now than I was then but
probably wouldn't yet be a 7. I'll always be learning which is why I
read this group and watch accustats videos and whatnot.

John Black

Ed McCune

Aug 19, 2006, 6:31:46 PM8/19/06
On Aug 19 2006 5:16 PM, John Black wrote:

> I'm surprised Reyes says 9-ball is his worst game. First of all, I'd
> love to play 9-ball as "bad" as him. But what does he consider his
> game/games? In the past, I've seen him play 9-ball almost exclusively
> and most of his titles are 9-ball including those two famous $100,000

> Color of Money challenges against Strickland (I believe they were a race

> to 120 games). Here is a quick summary that I found on him:

I believe he considers 15 ball rotation his best game. Or maybe one
pocket. I've read many interesting stories about him over the years. Like
him watching someone play straight pool and commenting that the game would
be more interesting if played in rotation. Of course a lot of these
stories have been distorted from reality over the years. But that'll add
even more fun to the legend in the years to come after he finally retires.

Ed

Ed McCune

Aug 19, 2006, 6:37:57 PM8/19/06
On Aug 19 2006 5:16 PM, John Black wrote:

> Thanks. I contribute where it makes sense for my level. I'm a
> recreational player who sometimes plays league. I was an APA 6 when I
> stopped playing APA some years ago. I'm better now than I was then but
> probably wouldn't yet be a 7. I'll always be learning which is why I
> read this group and watch accustats videos and whatnot.

This last sentence is exactly why you should contribute more. It's not how
good a player someone is that makes their comments interesting but how
much they study the game, read books, watch videos and just plain think
about it. I have no accustats videos so comments on games by those who do
are appreciated. It's those who study the game and can communicate their
ideas, no matter how silly SOME think those ideas to be, that make the
kinds of interesting posts that keep this group going. NOT the pros or
wanna-be's that think they already know it all just from the osmosis of
having played for years but never questioned or thought about anything
they absorbed incidentally.

Ed

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

---

ratchet

Aug 20, 2006, 3:25:44 PM8/20/06
John Black wrote:

It all depends on whether you consider me a bozo too ?

best regards ,

Flippo ...errrr Tom S.

John Black

Aug 21, 2006, 9:53:08 AM8/21/06
In article <saqdncdYGMWoKnXZ...@greenapple.com>,
rat...@greenapple.com says...

All the bozos are FL and his hundreds of aliases. Is Debra even really
a separate person? Based on posting style and quantity, I would bet she
is just another of FL's personalities.

John Black

David The Hamster Malone

Aug 21, 2006, 12:50:17 PM8/21/06

John Black wrote:

> All the bozos are FL and his hundreds of aliases. Is Debra even really
> a separate person? Based on posting style and quantity, I would bet she
> is just another of FL's personalities.

No... Unfortunately Debra and Eric are real (in the sense that they are
not FL personalities).

David "The real Hamster" Malone

ratchet

Aug 21, 2006, 4:51:05 PM8/21/06

Sounds plausible ? My modem failed on my laptop and I am now forced to
used the family PC for now , I have spent the last 4 days adding all
these new aliases to my filterer and it sucks bigtime !

Tom S. - I will find RSB again once these bozo are filtered once more!

Jack Stein

Aug 22, 2006, 11:10:23 AM8/22/06

There are only a couple of real people that post from Yahoo, Ratchet,
John Pierce and someone else I can't think of. Those people should
figure out some place else to post from. If you really want them all
gone, you can add gmail and hotmail and get 99% of the non people.

>> rat...@greenapple.com says...

>>> It all depends on whether you consider me a bozo too ?

No, but you win some an lose some. Actually, in netscape, I just have
the filter mark yahoo as read, and I can look at all messages, or just
unread messages, so if I want, I can look at your messages or Johns
messages, but then I get a zillion other goof balls along with you. If
either of you say anything worthwhile, it is usually quoted by someone
that uses a real mail feed and I see it anyway.

Oh, Smorg is another, but he has been off in la la land hisself, so no
loss there either.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein

Aug 22, 2006, 11:27:10 AM8/22/06
>>All the bozos are FL and his hundreds of aliases. Is Debra even really
>>a separate person? Based on posting style and quantity, I would bet she
>>is just another of FL's personalities.

> David The Hamster Malone wrote:
> No... Unfortunately Debra and Eric are real (in the sense that they are
> not FL personalities).

How do you know this? How does anyone know any of the so called FL
personalities are him or someone else? That whole Valley Forge episode
seems fake to me, but I have no clue other than I believe almost nothing
I read in here about FL or any of the other players.

Personally, I think they are all the same or the same team, not that I
care much. Real trolls always work in teams and are never real people.

FL actually posts some good stuff, and occasionally some really funny
stuff. Seldom does it come out in any of the alias's though, usually
it's under his name. I KNOW FL exists though, but other than that, have
no clue who is doing what. I figure either he is a very sick dude, or
they are all someone else. If they are all him, he is also brilliant,
like it or not. Anyhoo, if it comes from yahoo, I won't likely see any
of it. Gmail and hotmail are next on my list.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

David The Hamster Malone

Aug 22, 2006, 11:50:20 AM8/22/06

Jack Stein wrote:

> > David The Hamster Malone wrote:
> > No... Unfortunately Debra and Eric are real (in the sense that they are
> > not FL personalities).
>
> How do you know this? How does anyone know any of the so called FL
> personalities are him or someone else?

People I trust (such as Fred Agnir, for instance) have met them in
person. And there were all sorts of witnesses to the Eric punch-up
incident including a report on AZ Billiards as part of the tournament
recap 'player assaulted by spectator' or some such header..

Don't give FL more credit than he deserves...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Ed Chauvin IV

Aug 22, 2006, 12:58:22 PM8/22/06
Mere moments before death, Jack Stein hastily scrawled:

>There are only a couple of real people that post from Yahoo, Ratchet,
>John Pierce and someone else I can't think of. Those people should
>figure out some place else to post from. If you really want them all
>gone, you can add gmail and hotmail and get 99% of the non people.

You can always whitelist the real Yahoo people.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

bk4...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 2006, 2:56:39 PM8/22/06

Ed McCune wrote:
> On Aug 19 2006 5:16 PM, John Black wrote:
>

> > I'm surprised Reyes says 9-ball is his worst game. First of all, I'd
> > love to play 9-ball as "bad" as him. But what does he consider his
> > game/games? In the past, I've seen him play 9-ball almost exclusively
> > and most of his titles are 9-ball including those two famous $100,000
> > Color of Money challenges against Strickland (I believe they were a race
> > to 120 games). Here is a quick summary that I found on him:
> >

> I believe he considers 15 ball rotation his best game. Or maybe one
> pocket. I've read many interesting stories about him over the years. Like
> him watching someone play straight pool and commenting that the game would
> be more interesting if played in rotation. Of course a lot of these
> stories have been distorted from reality over the years. But that'll add
> even more fun to the legend in the years to come after he finally retires.
>
> Ed

I've heard the following story from a few different people:
When asked what his best game was, Efren replied '3-cushion billiards'.
I've heard he plays chamionship 3-cushion and even straight rail.
IMO, one-pocket is his best game. Does anyone have more substaintial
information on what games he plays and what's his best game?

John W. Pierce

Aug 22, 2006, 8:05:22 PM8/22/06
Somebody wrote (I couldn't figure out who):\

>>There are only a couple of real people that post from Yahoo, Ratchet,
>>John Pierce and someone else I can't think of.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't actually post from/through Yahoo,
that's just an address I'd picked some long time ago to stuff into news
headers. I'd forgotten about it. It should be fixed now.

-- John W. Pierce
j...@thyrsgeat.org

Jack Stein

Aug 23, 2006, 12:25:21 AM8/23/06
>>>David The Hamster Malone wrote:
>>>No... Unfortunately Debra and Eric are real (in the sense that they are
>>>not FL personalities).

> Jack Stein wrote:
>>How do you know this? How does anyone know any of the so called FL
>>personalities are him or someone else?

>David The Hamster Malone wrote:
> People I trust (such as Fred Agnir, for instance) have met them in
> person. And there were all sorts of witnesses to the Eric punch-up
> incident including a report on AZ Billiards as part of the tournament
> recap 'player assaulted by spectator' or some such header..

I read the report on AZ billiards and all the dizzy messages on the
subject, and not a bit of it was convincing to me. If Fred Agnir
actually met them, well OK, but he should have decked them both.

> Don't give FL more credit than he deserves...

If Debra Li and Eric are real, then I have no idea how anyone knows the
10 million FL alias's are actually him. They could just as easily be
any one on the team, and you do know this shit is a team effort, right?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein

Aug 23, 2006, 12:30:05 AM8/23/06
John W. Pierce wrote:

That would be me, and your welcome. Also, since your posts are always
well done, I'm glad you no longer get marked as read. I notice Ratchet
may have fixed his as well.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

John Black

Aug 23, 2006, 2:04:01 PM8/23/06
In article <1156272995....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
bk4...@hotmail.com says...

> Ed McCune wrote:
> > On Aug 19 2006 5:16 PM, John Black wrote:
> >

> > > I'm surprised Reyes says 9-ball is his worst game. First of all, I'd
> > > love to play 9-ball as "bad" as him. But what does he consider his
> > > game/games? In the past, I've seen him play 9-ball almost exclusively
> > > and most of his titles are 9-ball including those two famous $100,000
> > > Color of Money challenges against Strickland (I believe they were a race
> > > to 120 games). Here is a quick summary that I found on him:
> > >

> > I believe he considers 15 ball rotation his best game. Or maybe one
> > pocket. I've read many interesting stories about him over the years. Like
> > him watching someone play straight pool and commenting that the game would
> > be more interesting if played in rotation.

This is funny. Like 14.1 needs to be made even *more* challenging...

> I've heard the following story from a few different people:
> When asked what his best game was, Efren replied '3-cushion billiards'.
> I've heard he plays chamionship 3-cushion and even straight rail.
> IMO, one-pocket is his best game. Does anyone have more substaintial
> information on what games he plays and what's his best game?

But the man has TONS of 9-ball titles and dominated 9-ball for a long
time. Does he have tons of 3 cushion titles or even any? So how then
could it be his "best" game?

John Black

John Black

Aug 23, 2006, 2:13:01 PM8/23/06
In article <4aadnfsys7hQRHbZ...@comcast.com>, jbstein2
@comcast.net says...

Great. Then filtering @yahoo could be a permanent cure for the disease.

John Black

Ed Chauvin IV

Aug 23, 2006, 4:16:21 PM8/23/06
Mere moments before death, John Black hastily scrawled:

>> I've heard the following story from a few different people:
>> When asked what his best game was, Efren replied '3-cushion billiards'.
>> I've heard he plays chamionship 3-cushion and even straight rail.
>> IMO, one-pocket is his best game. Does anyone have more substaintial
>> information on what games he plays and what's his best game?
>
>But the man has TONS of 9-ball titles and dominated 9-ball for a long
>time. Does he have tons of 3 cushion titles or even any? So how then
>could it be his "best" game?

I don't know, but it could be that the 9-ball competition just isn't
anywhere near his level, whereas the 3-cushion competition is tough.
Remember, winning a title doesn't show anything about what your
ability level is, it only shows that you're better than the people you
played against. Efren could be the best 9-ball player in the galaxy,
but still do better at 3-cushion.

Ed McCune

Aug 23, 2006, 6:26:20 PM8/23/06
On Aug 23 2006 1:04 PM, John Black wrote:

In the last 10 years there really hasn't been much else to play
competitively as a professional other than 9 ball. I suspect it's as
simple as that. I do definitely remember reading the interview where he
stated 9 ball was his worst game though. I just can't find it again.
Prolly the hamsters have been at things again...messing up my stuff.

Ed

> But the man has TONS of 9-ball titles and dominated 9-ball for a long
> time. Does he have tons of 3 cushion titles or even any? So how then
> could it be his "best" game?
>
> John Black

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

--------

John Black

Aug 24, 2006, 10:48:00 AM8/24/06
In article <c91vr3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
says...

> On Aug 23 2006 1:04 PM, John Black wrote:
>
> In the last 10 years there really hasn't been much else to play
> competitively as a professional other than 9 ball. I suspect it's as
> simple as that. I do definitely remember reading the interview where he
> stated 9 ball was his worst game though. I just can't find it again.
> Prolly the hamsters have been at things again...messing up my stuff.

But regardless of what he may or may not have said, there is a large
amount of data that can be easily examined. Perhaps he did say his best
game is rotation or 3 cushion billards. But my point is if the data
shows he dominated 9-ball but not those other disciplines, how could
they be his best game? (unless we think Reyes could enter 3 cushion
championships and win but just chooses not to?)

John Black

Ed McCune

Aug 24, 2006, 5:51:58 PM8/24/06
On Aug 24 2006 9:48 AM, John Black wrote:

> But regardless of what he may or may not have said, there is a large
> amount of data that can be easily examined. Perhaps he did say his best
> game is rotation or 3 cushion billards. But my point is if the data
> shows he dominated 9-ball but not those other disciplines, how could
> they be his best game? (unless we think Reyes could enter 3 cushion
> championships and win but just chooses not to?)

Good points and I can't really answer. He has done really well in the IPT
so far but hasn'te dominated exactly, perhaps because of age and the toll
of playing that many games in a short period of time. He is supposed to be
pretty dominant at one pocket.

Ed

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

JakartaDean

Aug 24, 2006, 11:30:16 AM8/24/06
John Black wrote:
> ... Here is a quick summary that I found on him:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes
>
> John Black

Thanks for that John. I use Wikipedia a fair bit, but never thought of
looking up anything pool-related there.

IMO, the Reyes article is not all that well done, and poorly
substantiated. Any RSBers interested in improving the Wiki? It would
seem given the high IT skills of many here, and the love of pool, that
we would be among the members of the most likely group of people to
improve it.

<whispering> It would also be a place to have archived on-topic,
pool-related discussions where You-Know-Who(s) might not find us...
</whispering>

John Black

Aug 25, 2006, 11:00:23 AM8/25/06
In article <ukj1s3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
says...

> He is supposed to be pretty dominant at one pocket.

Ok, so now the only question is: is there any cuesport he's not great
at? We've covered 8-ball, 9-ball, 14.1, rotation, one pocket and
billiards. I think the answer is probably not.

John Black

Ed Chauvin IV

Aug 26, 2006, 3:21:28 PM8/26/06
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:48:00 GMT, John Black <jbl...@texas.net> wrote:

>In article <c91vr3x...@recgroups.com>, mcc...@telusplanet.net
>says...
>> On Aug 23 2006 1:04 PM, John Black wrote:
>>
>> In the last 10 years there really hasn't been much else to play
>> competitively as a professional other than 9 ball. I suspect it's as
>> simple as that. I do definitely remember reading the interview where he
>> stated 9 ball was his worst game though. I just can't find it again.
>> Prolly the hamsters have been at things again...messing up my stuff.
>
>But regardless of what he may or may not have said, there is a large
>amount of data that can be easily examined. Perhaps he did say his best
>game is rotation or 3 cushion billards. But my point is if the data
>shows he dominated 9-ball but not those other disciplines, how could
>they be his best game? (unless we think Reyes could enter 3 cushion
>championships and win but just chooses not to?)

I've already answered this question for you. Whether Efren wins every
9-ball title or not has little bearing on how good he is at the game,
it only says that he is better than the competition.

Supppose for a moment that Joe Schmoe and his buddies have devised a
new game of pool called Foo (the rules of which are so lengthy and
arcane as to prohibit their reproduction here for fear of clogging up
all the internet tubes) and have been playing it in Joe's basement for
the last couple of years. None of Joe's buddies are very good at
pool, and so Joe's amateur league experience is enough to allow him to
dominate the game of Foo for years. Joe doesn't play Foo very much
(only when his buddies come over, and even then it's not serious) ,
but he's so good at 8-ball from playing in his league that Foo is the
only game his buddies will play with him because they at least get to
shoot and have a chance at winning.

Meanwhile, on league night, Joe is a really good 8-ball player, but
since the competition is much better he doesn't dominate the sport the
way he does Foo. Let's just say Joe is a 5 or 6 in APA. Anyone who
looked merely at Joe's record in 8-ball and Foo would conclude that
his best game is obviously Foo, but ask him and he would rightly tell
you it's 8-ball.

JakartaDean

Aug 28, 2006, 11:00:46 AM8/28/06
Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
> Supppose for a moment that Joe Schmoe and his buddies have devised a
> new game of pool called Foo (the rules of which are so lengthy and
> arcane as to prohibit their reproduction here for fear of clogging up
> all the internet tubes)

Tubes? I thought it was a truck? No, wait, it's not a truck it's
tubes.... Doggone it this technology stuff is tricky!

Dean <-- running for US Senate

Ed Chauvin IV

Aug 29, 2006, 1:03:25 PM8/29/06

It's lots of trucks being pumped through billiions of tubes, all