Another example of public mediocy

Steven Joseph Mastroyin

May 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/22/95

Well, I'm sitting with some friends watching the Red Sox - Indians
game yesterday. It's the bottom of the ninth, and the Sox have
men on second and third with nobody out, down by three runs.
Pinch hitter Reggie Jefferson comes to the plate and hits a fly ball
to left field which goes for a sacrifice fly.

One of my friends says: "Well, it's better than a walk at least!"

I could have killed him right there.

Sure, a run scored. Whoop-deee-doo. Let's see, would we rather have
a man on second with one out down by two runs, or bases loaded with
no outs down by three. My friend picked the first choice arguing that
it eliminated the possiblity of a double play.

Adding to my case that Jefferson failed to get the job done in that
situation, I pointed out to my friend that causing the first out
meant that the last batter would be Terry Shumpert instead of
John Valentin unless someone else got a hit. Of course, the next two
batters went down harmlessly enough, and the game was over.

My friend then finally relented, but said that my points were only
valid in the ninth inning. I gave up at that point.

when will the public perception of a walk ever change?

BTW, for those who still believe in the RBI stat, this is just
another of a string of examples where an RBI is credited to a
player who made a negative contribution to the team.

James Kahn

May 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/23/95
In <3pps52$h...@bigboote.WPI.EDU> ste...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Steven Joseph Mastroyin) writes:

>Well, I'm sitting with some friends watching the Red Sox - Indians
>game yesterday. It's the bottom of the ninth, and the Sox have
>men on second and third with nobody out, down by three runs.
>Pinch hitter Reggie Jefferson comes to the plate and hits a fly ball
>to left field which goes for a sacrifice fly.

>One of my friends says: "Well, it's better than a walk at least!"

>I could have killed him right there.

[snip]

>when will the public perception of a walk ever change?

I think most fans and media types would recognize that a walk is preferred
to a sac fly in this situation. Your friend is even more confused than
most.

The funny thing is, though, that people seem to realize how bad it is for
pitchers to give up walks, they just don't seem to value hitters getting
walks. Odd.

--Jim
--
ka...@troi.cc.rochester.edu |
ka...@finance.wharton.upenn.edu |

Don Pajerek

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95
In article <1995May23.2...@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
ka...@troi.cc.rochester.edu (James Kahn) writes:

>The funny thing is, though, that people seem to realize how bad it is for
>pitchers to give up walks, they just don't seem to value hitters getting
>walks. Odd.

Except when it's the *other* team whose batters are walking. The damage
is all too perceptible then.

>--Jim

Don Pajerek

Standard disclaimers apply.

Balance7

May 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/27/95
Uh... What does 'mediocy' mean?

David M. Tate

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
In article <3q6nqb$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Balance7 <bala...@aol.com> wrote:

>Uh... What does 'mediocy' mean?

The word 'mediot' was coined in this newsgroup. It is a portmanteau
word, combining 'media' and 'idiot' to denote a member of the print or
broadcast media who hasn't a clue. 'Mediocy' is derived by analogy
with 'idiocy'.

(Does anyone remember who coined the term? Huckabay? Frank? I really
can't remember...)

--
David M. Tate Decision-Science Applications, Inc.
dt...@dsava.com 1110 N. Glebe Road, Suite 400

Pink Lady And Gary Huckabay

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
In article <3qfoqa$e...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,

David M. Tate <dta...@pitt.edu> wrote:
>>Uh... What does 'mediocy' mean?
>
>The word 'mediot' was coined in this newsgroup. It is a portmanteau
>word, combining 'media' and 'idiot' to denote a member of the print or
>broadcast media who hasn't a clue. 'Mediocy' is derived by analogy
>with 'idiocy'.
>
>(Does anyone remember who coined the term? Huckabay? Frank? I really
>can't remember...)

I think it was our one and only Dave Kirsch, MIA and lurking for
some time.

Coincidentally, Kirsch also is responsible for the term 'statutory.'

--
** Gary Huckabay * "Progressive metal is just a euphemism used by elitist *
** 11 PA -- 26 DI * twerps who sit around listening to King's X, Living *