Hal Morris - .400??

Joe Sosa

May 13, 1991, 8:48:18 AM5/13/91
As of 5/12/91, Hal Morris of the Reds is hitting .402, at the end of last
year, in which he only played the last half of the year he batted around
(I think) .350, but not enough at-bats to capture the crown.

The questions before us are:

Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.

And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?

And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
on the trading block??

What do you think?
------------------------------- !!-------------------------
-------- -------- --------- !! js...@encore.com
-------- ---------------- | !!SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES
| | !!MORRIS START HITTING??
------------------------------- !!

Nelson Lu

May 13, 1991, 11:04:43 AM5/13/91
In article <jsosa.674138898@houligan> js...@encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:
>As of 5/12/91, Hal Morris of the Reds is hitting .402, at the end of last
>year, in which he only played the last half of the year he batted around
>(I think) .350, but not enough at-bats to capture the crown.
>
>The questions before us are:
>
>Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
>right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.

I don't think so, because he is less impressive against lefties. I believe
that he only has 2 career extra base hits against lefties. That usually
tells something.

>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?

I would still think Clark. Part of the reason: Clark is much better
defensively. Morris was the DH in the World Series last year, and Todd
Benzinger, the first baseman, was not exactly a gold glover at first.

>And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
>on the trading block??

Benzinger has been on the block for the past X number of months... :-)

GO CALIFORNIA ANGELS!

GO LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS!

GO LOS ANGELES KINGS!

Nelson Lu

Gary Wilde Silas Tomkyn Huckabay

May 13, 1991, 2:45:25 PM5/13/91
In article <jsosa.674138898@houligan> js...@encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:
(speaking of Hal Morris)

>And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
>on the trading block??

Bwoo hoo hee hee ha ha HA HA HA Ho Ho HO HO HO HO HO HO! Ahh ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha hee hee ha ha hee hee (snicker) ha ho hee.... Oh, stop.... my ribs,
they ache from laughter....Hee Hee Hee Hee! Hoo Hoo Hoo.... You kidder...

Gee, for Benzinger, they should be able to pull in just about anything
they want! Perhaps send him to Pittsburgh for Smiley and Bonilla?

Benzinger....a very good 1st baseman himself....

Ahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Gigglingly yours,

Gary Huckabay + Further Proof that Society is Dead:
Society is Dead Society + During Feb. Sweeps Week, Ch. 3's hard-hitting
UC Davis + news special.....
and Oakland Coliseum + "Busting Big Breasted Prostitutes with SPD!"

Charles Robert Claydon

May 13, 1991, 9:25:20 PM5/13/91
> I would still think Clark. Part of the reason: Clark is much better
> defensively. Morris was the DH in the World Series last year, and Todd
> Benzinger, the first baseman, was not exactly a gold glover at first.

But I'd still take Morris, not to mention McGriff this season, over
Clark... if both Canseco and Clark start this year, it's time (well,
long past time) to exclude Bay Area voters from the All Star vote :-)
(can you say .200 hitting catchers starting? Can you say ballot box
stuffing? Can you say Jose "overhyped" Canseco? I knew you could... :-)

Rob

Mike Heath

May 13, 1991, 6:48:33 PM5/13/91
In article <1991May13.1...@leland.Stanford.EDU> clau...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:
>In article <jsosa.674138898@houligan> js...@encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:
>>As of 5/12/91, Hal Morris of the Reds is hitting .402, at the end of last
>>year, in which he only played the last half of the year he batted around
>>(I think) .350, but not enough at-bats to capture the crown.
>>
>>The questions before us are:
>>
>>Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
>>right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.
>
>I don't think so, because he is less impressive against lefties. I believe
>that he only has 2 career extra base hits against lefties. That usually
>tells something.

Last year, he only had 76 at-bats against lefties (with no extra base hits).
Pinella has said he's the full-time 1st baseman, so he'll get a chance this
year to prove himself against lefties.

I'm always skeptical about someones chances to hit .400, but I won't be
the least bit surprised if he equals or exceeds last years .340 average.

>>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?
>>
>I would still think Clark. Part of the reason: Clark is much better
>defensively. Morris was the DH in the World Series last year, and Todd
>Benzinger, the first baseman, was not exactly a gold glover at first.

Morris being DH had *nothing* to do with his fielding. Benzinger is a
switch-hitter, Morris isn't. Pinella wanted more flexibility in case he
needed to substitute for Morris against a lefty. He didn't want to run out
of 1st basemen (yes, I know Terry Lee was on the roster).

As for Morris' fielding, I've been quite impressed with his ability to
scoop the ball on bad throws. I don't know if is range is great, but he
seems to do a fine job. I've got no complaints about his fielding.

>>And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
>>on the trading block??
>
>Benzinger has been on the block for the past X number of months... :-)

Quite true (X > 7).

--
Mike Heath
Pencom Software

Erik Anderson

May 14, 1991, 10:32:30 AM5/14/91
js...@houligan.encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:

>As of 5/12/91, Hal Morris of the Reds is hitting .402, at the end of last
>year, in which he only played the last half of the year he batted around
>(I think) .350, but not enough at-bats to capture the crown.

>The questions before us are:

>Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
>right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.

I hate to say this, but Hal cannot hit lefties at all. He's batting .443
against right-handed pitchers and .000! against the southpaws in limited
AB's. I wish he'd just hit .260+ against them because I have him for *1*
point in my Rotisserie League. :-)

>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?

It probably will be either Clark or McGriff who gets the starting nod by
the fans, with the other and Hal being selected to the reserves.

>And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
>on the trading block??

Todd's been rumored to be on the trading block for almost a year now. I
just want him to go away for my own selfish benefit. :-)
--
eri...@techbook.COM ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!eriksa
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

Natraj Kini

May 14, 1991, 4:59:30 PM5/14/91
In article <1991May14....@techbook.com> eri...@techbook.com (Erik Anderson) writes:
[stuff about Hal Morris deleted]

>>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?

>It probably will be either Clark or McGriff who gets the starting nod by
>the fans, with the other and Hal being selected to the reserves.

Don't forget Eddie Murray - his stats put him in this top group, he
plays in L.A., he's a probable HOF'er, *and* he had a great year in
1990. I'd say his chances of making the All-Star game are much better
than McGriff's or Morris'.

--
3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862
= U. Natraj Kini = UNKempt,UNKind = nk...@lookout.uswest.com = 303 399 5419 =

KENNETH STITH

May 15, 1991, 1:20:45 PM5/15/91
> I hate to say this, but Hal cannot hit lefties at all. He's batting .443
> against right-handed pitchers and .000! against the southpaws in limited
> AB's. I wish he'd just hit .260+ against them because I have him for *1*
> point in my Rotisserie League. :-)

Just last night Hal went 2 for 4 against a lefty pitcher.
Maybe there is hope for him yet.

Ken

Bill Baker

May 15, 1991, 5:30:24 PM5/15/91
In article <8c=nm0_00W...@andrew.cmu.edu> cc...@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Robert Claydon) writes:
>> I would still think Clark. Part of the reason: Clark is much better
>> defensively. Morris was the DH in the World Series last year, and Todd
>> Benzinger, the first baseman, was not exactly a gold glover at first.
>

>But I'd still take Morris, not to mention McGriff this season, over
>Clark... if both Canseco and Clark start this year, it's time (well,
>long past time) to exclude Bay Area voters from the All Star vote :-)

Lumping the two together is bogus. As of this morning's paper,
Clark's hitting .302 with 7 dingers and leading the league in
ribbies. He's having an All Star year, although Morris may be
having a better All Star year. Regardless, Clark is
deserving. You can't blame the incumbency preference on him.
Besides, the incumbency preference rewards consistently
excellent players. Year in and year out (except for last
season, of course), Clark is one of the first basemen in the
NL. In at least half of his seasons in the bigs, he has been
inarguably the best.

Canseco, though, is a different kettle of trout almondine.
He's never been a model of consistency (other than
consistently obnoxious) and this year he's terrible. His
range is so limited in the outfield that I figure he must have
major back problems that the A's are hiding so he doesn't get
blown away by fastballs the way he was in the Series.
The only other answer is that his scorn for hustle makes
Darryl look like Pete Rose. He's letting balls drop that were
within 30 yards of him. It's gotten so bad that I think
LaRussa would be using him as the DH if Baines wasn't doing so
well. It will indeed be a crime if he makes the All Star
team.

Thinking about it again, it makes no sense that he could steal
so many bases and yet not be able to cover right field.
Still, I've got a bad back and the way he runs in the outfield
looks just like I do when my back is very stiff. I guess he's
just dogging it, but he sure doesn't look healthy.

>(can you say .200 hitting catchers starting? Can you say ballot box
>stuffing? Can you say Jose "overhyped" Canseco? I knew you could... :-)

Yup, I must have stuffed 10 ballots (All Giants and all
Mariners, including write-in's for Griffey Sr.) last Saturday
at the 'Stick. That's the system, though. Bitch about the
system, not the voters.

>Rob

Gary Wilde Silas Tomkyn Huckabay

May 16, 1991, 1:28:32 PM5/16/91
(Bill Baker) writes:

>Lumping the two (W. Clark and Canseco) together is bogus. As of this morning's

>paper, Clark's hitting .302 with 7 dingers and leading the league in
>ribbies. He's having an All Star year, although Morris may be
>having a better All Star year. Regardless, Clark is
>deserving. You can't blame the incumbency preference on him.
>Besides, the incumbency preference rewards consistently
>excellent players. Year in and year out (except for last
>season, of course), Clark is one of the first basemen in the
>NL. In at least half of his seasons in the bigs, he has been
>inarguably the best.
>
>Canseco, though, is a different kettle of trout almondine.
>He's never been a model of consistency (other than
>consistently obnoxious) and this year he's terrible.

Canseco's hitting about .255 or .260, near his career average, with
6 stolen bases, 4 home runs, carloads of walks, 25 runs scored, 15
RBIs, and his typical loads of Ks. Nothing out of the ordinary for
him at all. If that's terrible, I hope he keeps it up all year.
I can certainly handle 125 runs scored, 75-80 RBI, about 30 doubles,
20 home runs, and 30 stolen bases. I don't have the DA numbers handy,
but I would expect that his defense isn't as horrible as many seem to
think it is.

I expect him to go about .265/.400/.520 for the year, with maybe 25-30
SBs. I have no problems with this kind of production. (I still think
he'd hit better if he'd close up and widen out his stance, however.)

>Yup, I must have stuffed 10 ballots (All Giants and all
>Mariners, including write-in's for Griffey Sr.) last Saturday
>at the 'Stick. That's the system, though. Bitch about the
>system, not the voters.

Why not bitch about the voters when they pull crap like that? You honestly
believe that Ken Griffey, Sr. deserves to start in the All-Star game
for the AL? You must be hoping for a big NL win, particularly if you voted
for Mariner stalwart Omar Vizquel.

Darrel F Bourne

May 17, 1991, 11:13:52 AM5/17/91
In article <10...@igor.Rational.COM>, w...@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:

> Lumping the two together is bogus. As of this morning's paper,
> Clark's hitting .302 with 7 dingers and leading the league in
> ribbies. He's having an All Star year, although Morris may be
> having a better All Star year. Regardless, Clark is
> deserving. You can't blame the incumbency preference on him.
> Besides, the incumbency preference rewards consistently
> excellent players. Year in and year out (except for last
> season, of course), Clark is one of the first basemen in the
> NL. In at least half of his seasons in the bigs, he has been
> inarguably the best.
>
> >Rob

While I agree with everything else that was presented, I don't
believe Will Clark had an *off* year last year, as I believe is
implied. Batting .295 with 95 RBI's and 91 Runs scored is
pretty damn good for most players. However it is true, unfor-
tunate as it is, that Will has that yoke of tremendous potential
around his neck, which most players can't carry. He is having a great
season so far, and probably will have many more in his career.
I will start worrying when he hits .250 with 10 HR's. That would
be an *off* year.

Also, while I am at it, with regards to Hal Morris hitting .400,
isn't .350 enough for a human being? Joking aside, he has the po-
tential. He turns on the fastball and waits on the curve better
than anyone I have seen in a while. As far as hitting left-handed
pitching, he hasn't had more than 15-20 AB's against southpaws as
of this writing, and he has picked up some key hits against lefties.

One thing to remember, Hal is the same age as Wade Boggs was when he
got into the bigs.

Well enough of my ramblings for now. This is my first posting, and
there will be many more, as I am very opionated about baseball.

-Darrel Bourne

"The umpire says "Play Ball", not "Work Ball" - Willie Stargell

Enjoy the game, dammit!!

Robert B Davis

May 19, 1991, 6:11:00 PM5/19/91
Darrel F Bourne writes:
>Well enough of my ramblings for now. This is my first posting, and
>there will be many more, as I am very opionated about baseball.

Welcome to the net. But of course you should know that opinionated
people aren't allowed to post here... 8-)

Bob Davis

+ Aldo's a treasure trove of linguistic anomalies... |

Erick Rudiak

May 20, 1991, 4:48:21 PM5/20/91

Cark Yaztremski was the last player to win the Triple Crown. Does
anyone out there think that a current player can win it? I, personally,
think that the only guys out there capable of leading the league in AVG,
HR, and RBI in the same year are Will Clark, and Ken Griffey, Jr. What
do you think?
Please send mail with your choices. If I get enough responses, I could
post a listing of the players and the votes they get.

"Girl, don't go away mad :^( |
Girl, just go away" ;^) |
| - Erick Rudiak
- Motley Crue | --er...@ils.nwu.edu

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

eric smith

May 20, 1991, 1:53:51 PM5/20/91

js...@houligan.encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:

>The questions before us are:

>Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
>right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.

No.

>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?

Look for Clark. Established major league stars are almost always voted in
despite however phenomenal a season a young player is having.

>And will he eventually put Todd Benzinger, a very good 1st baseman himself,
>on the trading block??

Todd Benzinger?

| Eric Steven Smith \ / How did the programmer die in |
| Usenet: er...@sco.com \ / the shower? |
| er...@netcom.com \ / By reading the instructions: |
| CompuServe: 70262,3610 \ / Lather. Rinse. Repeat. |

eric smith

May 20, 1991, 2:10:56 PM5/20/91

cc...@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Robert Claydon) writes:

>But I'd still take Morris, not to mention McGriff this season, over
>Clark... if both Canseco and Clark start this year, it's time (well,
>long past time) to exclude Bay Area voters from the All Star vote :-)
>(can you say .200 hitting catchers starting? Can you say ballot box
>stuffing? Can you say Jose "overhyped" Canseco? I knew you could... :-)

I doubt that Bay Area fans make much of an impact on the All Star voting.
It's really media coverage that is the biggest factor in who is voted to
the All Star team. The reason that A's and Giants players have been voted
in in recent years is that they've been involved in the playoffs and
World Series and therefore have gotten a lot more media coverage and
therefore are known by many more fans nationwide (and in Canada). In the
early and middle '80s, before they were involved in postseason play,
there were never any Giants or A's players voted in, no matter how good
they were. Just look at Rickey Henderson, who was never voted in until
he was traded to the Yankees; then bam! the media played him up and next
thing he was leading off for the AL in the All Star game.

Dave Masten

May 21, 1991, 7:34:05 AM5/21/91
In article <12...@scolex.sco.COM> er...@sco.COM (eric smith) writes:

>js...@houligan.encore.com (Joe Sosa) writes:
>
>>The questions before us are:
>
>>Can he hit .400 for the whole year? He seems to handle both left- and
>>right-handed pitchers awfully well, with not many batting flaws.
>
>No.

Correct. Every other year this happens. Someone is bound to have a high
average for the first 100-150 Abs or so. They (almost) always come back
to earth. Look at Dykstra last year. Ends up with a very fine .325, but
certainly not a stop the presses avg.

>>And if he keeps up this pace, will he of Will Clark or some other well-known
>>1st baseman, start in the All-Star game?
>
>Look for Clark. Established major league stars are almost always voted in
>despite however phenomenal a season a young player is having.

And rightly so, unless he is having an off year. Every year we go through the
"joe blow is hitting .350 yet old Hoss Radbourn was picked again". More often
than not, that early phenom ends up with mediocre stats. Look at last years
NL starter, Jack Armstrong (at least I think he started the all-star game).
He wound up what, 12-9? Some all-star. He's not an isolated case, Elias
mentioned something about the last 10 or so NL starters having pretty weak
final numbers.

Dave Masten

Sherri Nichols

May 21, 1991, 7:45:53 PM5/21/91
In article <11...@igor.Rational.COM> w...@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
>The point was that Canseco is not consistent year to year, and
>matching his lifetime averages is no measure of that. You get those
>figures by averaging several really good and really bad seasons. He's
>been hurt, sure, but he's also had some terrible slumps in his career.
>He's also dominated the league at times. That doesn't add up to Will
>Clark-type consistency.

Have you looked at Canseco's stats? He's batted .240, .257, .307, .269,
.274, while slugging .457, .470, .569, .542, and .543. He had one really
incredible year, while the rest of the time he's been merely one of the
better players in the league. Clark's numbers, on the other hand, have
been .287, .308, .282, .333, .295, with slugging of .444, .580, .508, .546,
.448. Clark's home run power has been on a steady decline, while Canseco's
has stayed pretty level.

How do you figure Canseco as less consistent than Clark?

> He's has a terrible record in the playoffs,
>too.

That's less than 100 at-bats, which is a small sample. The variability in
batting averags in less than 100 at-bats is quite large, and doesn't really
tell you anything about how good a hitter a particular player is.

Sherri Nichols
snic...@adobe.com

Bill Baker

May 21, 1991, 4:18:33 PM5/21/91
In article <89...@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zuh...@iris.ucdavis.edu (Gary Wilde Silas Tomkyn Huckabay) writes:
>(Bill Baker) writes:
>
>>Lumping the two (W. Clark and Canseco) together is bogus. As of this morning's
>>paper, Clark's hitting .302 with 7 dingers and leading the league in
>>ribbies. He's having an All Star year, although Morris may be
>>having a better All Star year. Regardless, Clark is
>>deserving. You can't blame the incumbency preference on him.
>>Besides, the incumbency preference rewards consistently
>>excellent players. Year in and year out (except for last
>>season, of course), Clark is one of the first basemen in the
>>NL. In at least half of his seasons in the bigs, he has been
>>inarguably the best.
>>
>>Canseco, though, is a different kettle of trout almondine.
>>He's never been a model of consistency (other than
>>consistently obnoxious) and this year he's terrible.
>
>Canseco's hitting about .255 or .260, near his career average, with
>6 stolen bases, 4 home runs, carloads of walks, 25 runs scored, 15
>RBIs, and his typical loads of Ks.

The point was that Canseco is not consistent year to year, and

matching his lifetime averages is no measure of that. You get those
figures by averaging several really good and really bad seasons. He's
been hurt, sure, but he's also had some terrible slumps in his career.
He's also dominated the league at times. That doesn't add up to Will

Clark-type consistency. He's has a terrible record in the playoffs,
too.

There's something to be said for consistency in terms of picking
All-Stars. Jose can put on a show once in a while, but it's Clark who
regularly goes 2 for 3, 3 for 4, with lots of doubles and a goodly
number of dingers.

Jose's not going to keep drawing those walks if he can't jerk fastballs
out of the park regularly, and I haven't seen him do that too often
this season. He was notably plagued by fastballs in the Series (the
wide, wide open stance) because of his back, and I have seen little to
indicate he has gotten all of his bat speed back.

>I don't have the DA numbers handy,
>but I would expect that his defense isn't as horrible as many seem to
>think it is.

Are you watching the same Jose I have? You probably get to more A's
games than I do, but all I've seen on the nightly highlights is
Canseco letting balls go over his head, drop in front, to the side,
etc. He isn't making any errors because he isn't going for balls that
aren't hit *right* at him. I keep hearing him booed at the Coliseum
for his notably lackadaisical defense, too.

>>Yup, I must have stuffed 10 ballots (All Giants and all
>>Mariners, including write-in's for Griffey Sr.) last Saturday
>>at the 'Stick. That's the system, though. Bitch about the
>>system, not the voters.
>
>Why not bitch about the voters when they pull crap like that? You honestly
>believe that Ken Griffey, Sr. deserves to start in the All-Star game
>for the AL? You must be hoping for a big NL win, particularly if you voted
>for Mariner stalwart Omar Vizquel.

I'm voting for Vizquel because of the way Dave Niehaus pronounces his
name (I won't reiterate how he does it).

An Oakland fan getting on me about ballot stuffing? Oakland is
notorious for this! What about the retired guy who stuffed something
like 20,000 ballots last year, all marked for A's players?

And it *is* the fault of the system. Ballot stuffing is *lauded* by
some teams. It's an obvious sham, and you can't blame the fans for
playing along. I stuffed Griffey, Sr. as a slam at the system. Let's
all stuff Griffey, Sr. and when he starts in the outfield next to his
son, MLB will be embarrassed enough to finally change the system.

By the way, Griffey, Sr. is hitting almost .300, so it's not totally
a joke to vote for him. M's fans should appreciate that; by pulling
his weight, Sr. is keeping the Sr./Jr. pairing from being just a
gimmick. He's doing all right. If he would just drop 15 pounds he
could probably still be an every day player.
vote for him.

Bill Baker

May 21, 1991, 4:43:52 PM5/21/91
In article <1991May17....@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> bou...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Darrel F Bourne) writes:
>In article <10...@igor.Rational.COM>, w...@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
>> Besides, the incumbency preference rewards consistently
>> excellent players. Year in and year out (except for last
>> season, of course), Clark is one of the first basemen in the

I meant, of course, "Clark is one of the *best* first basemen

>While I agree with everything else that was presented, I don't
>believe Will Clark had an *off* year last year, as I believe is
>implied. Batting .295 with 95 RBI's and 91 Runs scored is
>pretty damn good for most players.

Shows how the net affects people. I put in that caveat about
last season so that people wouldn't rebut "Well what about
Clark's lousy season last year?" Considering his numbers, Clark
got unfairly slammed for having an "off" year last year; I was
just parroting what seemed to be the "conventional wisdom."

John 'tms' Navarra

May 22, 1991, 8:45:24 AM5/22/91
In article <1991May21.1...@leland.Stanford.EDU> mas...@navier.UUCP (Dave Masten) writes:

>And rightly so, unless he is having an off year. Every year we go through the
>"joe blow is hitting .350 yet old Hoss Radbourn was picked again". More often
>than not, that early phenom ends up with mediocre stats. Look at last years
>NL starter, Jack Armstrong (at least I think he started the all-star game).
>He wound up what, 12-9? Some all-star. He's not an isolated case, Elias
>mentioned something about the last 10 or so NL starters having pretty weak
>final numbers.

Neal Heaton. didn't start but SUCKED the last half of the season.

in reverse, Mark Grace batted about .250 the first half of the season and
batted over .400 (yes for a whole half year which is MUCH better than Morris)
for the last half to end up at .309 I think it was -- he finished 5th in avg.

--
From the Lab of the MaD ScIenTiST:

nav...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

eric smith

May 22, 1991, 6:11:23 PM5/22/91

bou...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Darrel F Bourne) writes:

>Also, while I am at it, with regards to Hal Morris hitting .400,
>isn't .350 enough for a human being? Joking aside, he has the po-
>tential. He turns on the fastball and waits on the curve better
>than anyone I have seen in a while. As far as hitting left-handed
>pitching, he hasn't had more than 15-20 AB's against southpaws as
>of this writing, and he has picked up some key hits against lefties.

How many people think Hal Morris can hit .350 this year? Not me.
As of this morning he was at .346 and sinking fast. Now Piniella
is shifting his defensive position around, which I guess Morris
feels is messing with his concentration at the plate.

>One thing to remember, Hal is the same age as Wade Boggs was when he
>got into the bigs.

What can this possibly have to do with batting average?

Ken Nodini

May 24, 1991, 3:05:54 PM5/24/91
In article <17...@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> c...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu writes:

> Cark Yaztremski was the last player to win the Triple Crown. Does
>anyone out there think that a current player can win it? I, personally,
>think that the only guys out there capable of leading the league in AVG,
>HR, and RBI in the same year are Will Clark, and Ken Griffey, Jr. What
>do you think?

Just thought I'd point out that the last National League player to win the
triple crown was Joe "Ducky" Medwick in .....get this... 1937!!!!!!

What about Dave Henderson winning it this year????

matthew bohnert

May 24, 1991, 4:48:48 PM5/24/91

Mitchell and Canseco are probably both capable of putting up .320 years
for personal bests. Problem in AL is that Boggs can hit .320 in his sleep.
Obvious choices in NL as well are Bonds and Bonilla.