Sandberg vs. Oquendo

nel...@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

May 6, 1990, 10:04:30 PM5/6/90
In article 18146, the argument about Sandberg and Oquendo was carried on.
I think that Oquendo is the more valuable player, not because he drives in
runs, but because he can essentially play all of the positions. Not to say
that that his versatility gives Whitey Herzog a lot of relief when somebody
gets injured, but the fact is that he gave Herzog a great managing advantage.
In that respect, he is much more valuable than Sandberg. I realize that
Sandberg has more power, more speed, and is the more reliable fielder; however,
versatility counts, even in baseball.

P. S., does anybody want to talk about Steve Lyons of the Chicago White Sox?

David Reed Donat

May 6, 1990, 10:27:15 PM5/6/90
In article <900506185...@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU> nel...@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>In article 18146, the argument about Sandberg and Oquendo was carried on.
>I think that Oquendo is the more valuable player, not because he drives in
>runs, but because he can essentially play all of the positions. Not to say
>that that his versatility gives Whitey Herzog a lot of relief when somebody
>gets injured, but the fact is that he gave Herzog a great managing advantage.
>In that respect, he is much more valuable than Sandberg. I realize that
>Sandberg has more power, more speed, and is the more reliable fielder; however,
>versatility counts, even in baseball.

Huh? Pardon my French, but this is dumb. So what if he can play lots of
positions. Derrel Thomas could too, and he played all of them reasonably well.
Great players usually play only one position: The team pits them there and
leaves them alone, not wanting to disrupt the fantastiic performance they are
receiving. This is why I hope the Cubs are not going to go through with their
threat to move Sandberg to 3B when Ty Griffin is ready.

BTW, if you want Sandberg to be versatile, he came up through the Phillies
system as a SS, and started a full season at 3B

>P. S., does anybody want to talk about Steve Lyons of the Chicago White Sox?

No, I don't :-)

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ | Dave Donat | "I was standing all alone |
| Interactive Fiction Buff | at the gas station of love |
| | - "Weird Al" Yankovic | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David E Demers

May 7, 1990, 2:09:30 PM5/7/90
In article <900506185...@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU> nel...@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>In article 18146, the argument about Sandberg and Oquendo was carried on.
>I think that Oquendo is the more valuable player, not because he drives in
>runs, but because he can essentially play all of the positions. Not to say
>that that his versatility gives Whitey Herzog a lot of relief when somebody
>gets injured, but the fact is that he gave Herzog a great managing advantage.
>In that respect, he is much more valuable than Sandberg. I realize that
>Sandberg has more power, more speed, and is the more reliable fielder; however,
>versatility counts, even in baseball.

Well, this is a bit much. I am in agreement that Sandberg and
Oquendo are reasonably comparable, but just because Jose can
play a bunch of positions doesn't mean he is more valuable than
Ryno! Sandberg is CLEARLY the better offensive player. Their
defense is about even, I'd give a slight edge to Oquendo, but
that and the ability to play short, third & outfield doesn't make
up for Sandberg's hitting, even with ballpark adjustments.

Dave