2005 VHOF election

mas...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2005, 4:11:26 PM10/19/05
None of the four prior electees (McGwire, Henderson, Gwynn, or Raines)
made it onto the top three teams at the VHOF -- Henderson was the only
one to get any votes and finished well short of even the number nine
spot in the outfield.

The VHOF is at http://doug.obscurestuff.com/vhof.html

On to the 2005 election. This year, there will be only one electee,
but he will be followed by two in 2006, one in 2007, and two more in
2008 and 2009.

The players who missed election in 2004 were

Robin Roberts 37 (4)
Ryne Sandberg 32
Branch Rickey 20 (2)
Willie Wells 15 (1)
Brooks Robinson 14
Joe Cronin 13
Dazzy Vance 9 (1)
Dick Allen 8
Lou Brock 6

and the significant new retirees include Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin,
and Edgar Martinez (did I miss any major candidates?).

Please vote for five players, in order of preference, and email your
ballot to me at masseyd (at) gmail (dot) com

Doug

Jay Furr

Oct 19, 2005, 4:21:22 PM10/19/05
mas...@gmail.com wrote in news:1129752686.792934.114890
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Please vote for five players, in order of preference, and email your
> ballot to me at masseyd (at) gmail (dot) com

1. Buddy Biancalana
2. Terry Forster
3. Sid Bream
4. Lonnie Smith
5. Joe Shlabotnik

--
"I wish people who had trouble communicating would just shut up."
-- Tom Lehrer

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jayfurr/

Mark Vaughan

Oct 19, 2005, 8:11:56 PM10/19/05
Jay Furr <jfurr-...@nospam-furrs.org> wrote in

> 5. Joe Shlabotnik

should be #1 on your ballot and everybody else's too

--

Mark Vaughan

Realto Margarino

Oct 19, 2005, 8:15:22 PM10/19/05

"Mark Vaughan" <m.a.v...@invalid.address.net> wrote in message

> Jay Furr <jfurr-...@nospam-furrs.org> wrote in
>
>> 5. Joe Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik was Roger Moore's family name, at least until they got to Ellis
Island.

cordially, as always,

rm

Patrick Schroeder

Oct 20, 2005, 11:04:59 AM10/20/05
<mas...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On to the 2005 election.
> and the significant new retirees include Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin,
> and Edgar Martinez (did I miss any major candidates?).

Fred McGriff
Andres Galarraga
Ellis Burks
Kevin Appier

Pat S.

Patrick Schroeder

Oct 20, 2005, 11:46:03 AM10/20/05

<mas...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The VHOF is at http://doug.obscurestuff.com/vhof.html
> On to the 2005 election.

Just to remind everyone who is left, here are my top candidates:

C: Joe Torre, Ted Simmons, Ernie Lombardi, Roger Bresnahan
1B: Dick Allen, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Bill Terry, Mo Vaughn
2B: Ryne Sandberg, Ross Barnes, Roberto Alomar, Frankie Frisch
3B: John McGraw, Denny Lyons, Brooks Robinson, Al Rosen
SS: Joe Cronin, Willie Wells, Barry Larkin, Vern Stephens
LF: Shoeless Joe Jackson, Al Simmons, Indian Bob Johnson, Goose Goslin
CF: Pete Browning, Hack Wilson, Earl Averill, Willie Keeler, Hugh Duffy
RF: Sam Thompson, Elmer Flick, Chuck Klein, King Kelly, Pete Rose
DH: Edgar Martinez, Chili Davis, Harold Baines, Brian Downing
SP: Robin Roberts, Don Sutton, Al Spalding, Tommy John, Ron Guidry,
Jim Kaat, Luis Tiant, David Cone, Dwight Gooden, Jimmy Key,
Joe McGinnity
RP: Lee Smith, Rollie Fingers, Tom Henke, Jeff Reardon, John Wetteland,
Bruce Sutter, Randy Myers, Sparky Lyle, Rick Aguilera,
Dan Quisenberry

Pat S.

David the Nationals Fan

Oct 20, 2005, 12:18:29 PM10/20/05
I am voting for:

1. Brooks Robinson. The best 3rd baseman in the AL for an extended
period of time.
2. Dick Allen (In tribute to the White Sox)
3. Buck Weaver(In tribute to the White Sox, and in memory of the only
honest Black Sox)
4. Branch Rickey
5. Moe Berg. A true American Hero who made contributions as a spy in
WWII reflected well on the entire game.

Finally, with respect to Shoeless Joe Jackson. With the White Sox in
the World Series it is time to end the discussion about Jackson and put
him out of mind. The comment by the Fox Broadcaster that it was the
Astros of Nolan Ryan against the White Sox of Shoeless Joe Jackson was
horrible. Jackson is a blot on the escutcheon of the franchise.

Message has been deleted

Cameron Laird

Oct 20, 2005, 1:03:16 PM10/20/05
In article <z5OdneRQJM1...@gvtc.com>,
Patrick Schroeder <pat...@hilbigservices.com> wrote:
.
.
.

>C: Joe Torre, Ted Simmons, Ernie Lombardi, Roger Bresnahan
>1B: Dick Allen, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Bill Terry, Mo Vaughn
>2B: Ryne Sandberg, Ross Barnes, Roberto Alomar, Frankie Frisch
>3B: John McGraw, Denny Lyons, Brooks Robinson, Al Rosen
>SS: Joe Cronin, Willie Wells, Barry Larkin, Vern Stephens
>LF: Shoeless Joe Jackson, Al Simmons, Indian Bob Johnson, Goose Goslin
>CF: Pete Browning, Hack Wilson, Earl Averill, Willie Keeler, Hugh Duffy
>RF: Sam Thompson, Elmer Flick, Chuck Klein, King Kelly, Pete Rose
>DH: Edgar Martinez, Chili Davis, Harold Baines, Brian Downing
>SP: Robin Roberts, Don Sutton, Al Spalding, Tommy John, Ron Guidry,
> Jim Kaat, Luis Tiant, David Cone, Dwight Gooden, Jimmy Key,
> Joe McGinnity
>RP: Lee Smith, Rollie Fingers, Tom Henke, Jeff Reardon, John Wetteland,
> Bruce Sutter, Randy Myers, Sparky Lyle, Rick Aguilera,
> Dan Quisenberry
.
.
.
Do you really intend to leave Vance off the list of pitchers?
Good summary, otherwise--well, more weight given relievers than
I'd afford, but that's at most a minor blemish.

Mischa Gelman

Oct 20, 2005, 9:31:34 PM10/20/05
Patrick Schroeder wrote:
> 1B: Dick Allen, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Bill Terry, Mo Vaughn

Buck Leonard

> 2B: Ryne Sandberg, Ross Barnes, Roberto Alomar, Frankie Frisch

John Ward (or at SS or P)

> CF: Pete Browning, Hack Wilson, Earl Averill, Willie Keeler, Hugh Duffy

Keeler's a RF. I'm surprised Browning played more center than left.
Turkey Stearnes?

> SP: Robin Roberts, Don Sutton, Al Spalding, Tommy John, Ron Guidry,
> Jim Kaat, Luis Tiant, David Cone, Dwight Gooden, Jimmy Key,
> Joe McGinnity

Bullet Joe Rogan. Bullet Joe Rogan. Bullet Joe Rogan.

--
The suburbs are where they cut down all the trees and then name the
streets after them - Alfred E. Neuman

Realto Margarino

Oct 20, 2005, 9:39:24 PM10/20/05

"Mischa Gelman" <mge...@city-net.com> wrote in message

> Patrick Schroeder wrote:
>> 1B: Dick Allen, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Bill Terry, Mo Vaughn
>
> Buck Leonard

Willie Aikens

>> 2B: Ryne Sandberg, Ross Barnes, Roberto Alomar, Frankie Frisch
>
> John Ward (or at SS or P)

Damaso Garcia

>> CF: Pete Browning, Hack Wilson, Earl Averill, Willie Keeler, Hugh Duffy
>
> Keeler's a RF. I'm surprised Browning played more center than left. Turkey
> Stearnes?

Andre Dawson

>> SP: Robin Roberts, Don Sutton, Al Spalding, Tommy John, Ron Guidry,
>> Jim Kaat, Luis Tiant, David Cone, Dwight Gooden, Jimmy Key,
>> Joe McGinnity
>
> Bullet Joe Rogan. Bullet Joe Rogan. Bullet Joe Rogan.

Steve Rogers

cordially, as always,

rm

mas...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2005, 10:39:05 AM10/24/05
I'm still collecting ballots for the 2005 VHOF Election (the web site
for the Virtual Hall of Fame is at
http://doug.obscurestuff.com/vhof.html ). It's a tight election so far
-- here are the top point leaders in alphabetical order:

Barry Larkin
Branch Rickey
Brooks Robinson
Dick Allen
Joe Cronin
Roberto Alomar
Robin Roberts
Ryne Sandberg
Willie Wells

Vote for the five most deserving candidates amongst those who played
their last game in 2004 or earlier and who are not already in the
Virtual HOF (in order from most-deserving to fifth-most-deserving).
Email me at masseyd at gmail dot com and watch this space (or the web
page) for the results!

Doug