Training Week Ending December 24, 2006

1 view

Tony S.

Dec 24, 2006, 12:06:42 AM12/24/06
Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Message has been deleted

Techguy

Dec 24, 2006, 8:46:21 AM12/24/06

> Longer range plans: gradually increase distance as I feel comfortable
> doing it, without trying to push it, through mid February; race in 8K on
> Feb 18th. Race in 5K March 27th, 4.2 mile on April 7. Tentatively a 5K
> at Walt Disney World on May 5th. I doubt that I'd be ready for a 15K on
> May 6th, so I'll do the 5K the day before. (My daughter and her family
> live near Ft. Lauderdale, so they'll most likely come up to visit with
> me and cheer me on. Also one of my best friends lives in Orlando.)
>
> And I hope to do the Tucson half in December 07, but that will depend on
> how my training goes.

BR, I didn't realize that there was a 5k at Disney World. I live in
Daytina Beach. Maybe I will see you there.

Monday - 50 minute easy bike ride through town.

Tuesday - 25 min run on road

Wednesday - 10 minutes on elliptical. It was set on hard and I was
tired before I started.

Thursday - 40 minute run. I measured a lap of my apartment parking lot.
On the conservative side it is .43 miles. I did 8 laps, about 3.6
miles. This is the first time I have run more than 3.1 miles.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Ran 5k in 34 min 25 sec. I took 40 seconds off of my time for
the same course last week.

Tomorrow I will be eating, not running.

I would like to beat my time again next Sunday, but it is not important
as long as I run the whole course.
I am off next week so I am going to try and run every morning. The 5 k
is Jan 27 at Daytona International Speedway. I am going to sign up for
another at the end of February in Port Orange, Florida.

So What

Dec 24, 2006, 9:03:43 AM12/24/06
tropic of cancer.

is well in the 135° to 145° area. 8 hour to 9 hour.
universal time -5 hours = well now and then.
different longs and angle of views.

well a baby boomer thing.
Y u say.because it is.
here I am 2......

week 80 miles.

ww2
family values.
1940 to 1950 thing.

break a leg, u-2.

snow in both poles look fine to me now.

Jesse Sheidlower

Dec 24, 2006, 10:52:59 AM12/24/06
In article <CVnjh.463$Ej7.337@trnddc02>, Tony S. <email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
>Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Week of 18 Dec.:
M: Running, 5M total with 6 x (30s @ 7:00/mile x 1:30 @ 8:35/mile),
remainder at c. 8:30/mile. Felt good.
T: Rest day.
W: Running, 5M, 8:19 pace. Felt quite good, despite ankle
tightness before the run.
T: Cycling, 30m, brisk spinning. Felt good.
F: Running, 10k, 8:20 pace. Legs slightly tired near end, but
generally great, relaxed.
S: Running, 5.5M; first 4 at c. 10:00 pace (with wife); last at 8:00.
Nice weather.
S: Cycling, 15M, brisk wind.
Total mileage: 21.5M

Best week so far! Slight increase in mileage; added light cycling
cross-training on the off days. And a good week for this, as my
expectation is that next week will be lousy for mileage. I'm
especially pleased that I managed to throw in a few strides on
Monday and they felt fine.

I'm wondering a little at the fact that my legs have been
tired; this is usually the opposite of how I feel when running
(legs are OK, lungs are not).

Jesse Sheidlower

h squared

Dec 24, 2006, 11:34:44 AM12/24/06
Tony S. wrote:
> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

merry christmas to everyone who celebrates (or is forced to celebrate..)
it. i have the traditional christmas zit on my nose, so all is going
well here.

last week looked like

7.5 + 4/3.5 + 8.5 +7* = 30.5 miles

that's a 10 mile increase over last week, and i added in a set of 6
stairclimbing repeats on (*) for 450 feet of climbing. i know, it's how
far dan climbs every morning just to get outta bed ;) but at least it's
a start.

immediate goals: do another week like this one and then take a recovery
week.

intermediate goals: get some kind of a time piece or pace keeper to at
least figure out what pace i can run at, and get one of my long runs up
to 12 miles.

end goal: ....profit! seriously, i don't have one yet. i
could/should/will look for a race to run, but i hate people and i'm
guessing it's hard to avoid them at a race.

heather

Tony S.

Dec 24, 2006, 12:09:50 PM12/24/06
"Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

mon: 0:56 (36 ran easy, 20 walk), pushups/abs
tues: 1:22 (51 ran easy, 31 biked)
(with strides)
wed: 1:03 (37 ran easy, 26 biked), shoulders/curls
thur: 1:30 (56 ran mod, 34 biked mod), abs
(pickups to 90%)
fri: 1:05 (37 ran easy, 28 biked), pushups
sat: 2:20 (1:51 ran trails mod 1450', 29 walked)
sun: 0:56 biked brisk hilly

5:28 running

Pretty good week in getting back into balance. The legs are coming around,
though doing the easy jog Monday in XC flats stretched my achilles
(intentional) and that showed up late in my Saturday run as a tenderness in
my erstwhile problematic right calf. The next 2 weeks will include less
running due to planned activities and such, then I hope to start ramping up
steadily.

2007 Goals:
Ramp up to ~9 hour per week by May
lose weight to 156 by July
Spring 5k sub 20m
Escarpment trail sub 4 hrs July
Fall 10 miler sub 72m

-Tony

joe positive

Dec 24, 2006, 1:45:43 PM12/24/06
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:06:42 GMT, "Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
>Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Goals: keep my energy level up; stay in a good mood. upcoming races:
5-miler Dec 30; marathon Jan 7; probably not a half-marathon Jan 21;
probably a 10K Feb 10; probably a marathon Feb 18.

M: 8mi (8:40)
T: 12mi (7:42) incl 5mi tempo interrupted by careless drivers
W: 10.27 (8:05)
R: 15mi (7:41) progression, last 4@6:57
F: 9.73mi (8:44) incl 14x30s strides
Sa: 7.6mi (8:44)
Su: 17mi (7:48)

total: 79.6 miles

Winter still hasn't arrived yet in west central Florida. For that
matter, autumn hasn't either. Early-morning temperatures have been
hovering around 68F, and RH is usually around 85, except when it's
raining.

Tuesday's tempo was interrupted twice by drivers who were either
oblivious to me or very surprised to discover me directly in front of
the car, about to become roadkill. After 4 miles and the second
near-miss, I got rattled and jogged a half-mile, then tried to resume
tempo pace and really struggled with it. Bleh.

Thursday's progression run was 3 warmup, 4@8:05 avg, 4@7:22 avg,
4@6:57 avg. Very happy with that.

For Sunday I'd planned (solo) 18 w/13 @ MP, but at the last minute
someone requested I join her group's Sunday run in St Pete, about 25
miles away. The person is doing me a big favor (pacing me in a race)
so I felt I couldn't refuse. As it turned out, the person didn't show
up, so I spent the run between packs, drifting away from people, then
regrouping at water stops, not really hitting any useful pace at all.
Oh well, maybe I didn't really need an MP run 2 weeks out from the
race. Yeah, that's it. Bleh.

Still, I feel a lot better than I usually do a couple weeks out from a
race.

good week all

Karen

live! vicariously!

shinypenny

Dec 24, 2006, 2:35:31 PM12/24/06

Tony S. wrote:
> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

More of the same thing:

Mon: DNR
Tues: 30 minutes - trail
Wed: DNR
Thurs: 30 minutes - trail
Fri: DNR
Sat: DNR (had to clean the house for company)
Sun: 30 minutes - road

Goals:
1) remain injury free
2) St Patrick's day 5K

I plan to stay at this same level this week as well, partly because of
holiday obligations but also to give my body a chance to adjust.

jen

Parker Race

Dec 24, 2006, 2:36:37 PM12/24/06

"Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

M: 0
T: 7
W: 6
Th: 5
F: 0
Sa: 9
Su: 14

Total: 41

Goals: (get) and Stay healthy and maintain a healthy weight.

Planned Races:

None

ant...@mail.biu.ac.il

Dec 24, 2006, 3:53:04 PM12/24/06
Goals: Building base, back to basics via Hadd...
Upcoming race: 10K on 4 Jan. Should be able to go sub-38...
Thinking about a marathon in March/April if I can find one and
feel ready for it...

Mon: 11k easy, mostly grass.
Tue: 15k including 10k tempo at track in 40:13
(20:21 HR -> 160) (19:52 HR -> 166)
Wed: 10k v.easy grass
Thu: 14k easy road/grass
Fri: 27.5k (17 miles) progression on grass.
From 5:45/k (9:15/mile) -> 4:30/k (7:15/mile)
HR from 115 -> 145 (62-78% Max HR)
Sat: 9k easy road
Sun: 11.5k easy on grass 70% Max HR
5:00/k (8:00/mile)

Total: 98km (61 miles)

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

Black Metal Martha

Dec 24, 2006, 5:24:58 PM12/24/06
Happy Holidays to all of you!!!

Mon: weights/core work
Tues: 2 miles - it was 34 degrees out...brrrr....
Wed: 2.5 miles
Thurs: 2 miles - was a balmy 42
Fri: weights/core work
Sat: 2 miles
Sun: 5 miles - 50 degrees, I could get used to this weather!!!
Today's run was a bit tougher, because I DJ'd at the radio station
last night. Once a month I DJ overnight a metal music show. It's great
fun, but plays havoc with my sleep schedule. It was a blast last night,
as I got to play King Diamond's "No Presents for Christmas" and the
Ramones' "Merry Christmas". :)

Lost 26 pounds total, 2 pounds this week
12.5 inches total

I felt really good after my 5K, no soreness. I feel stronger and
healthier than I have in a long, long time. I have many friends in
recovery like me, who are having a difficult time now, so it's good to
have the extra energy to help them feel more positive. The holidays are
not easy for some.

Goals: same workout next week and increase a small amount the following
week. I'd like to lose one more pound this year, which is easily doable.

Tom B.

Dec 24, 2006, 5:25:38 PM12/24/06
Tony S. wrote:
> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon/Tue - bike to work (3hr30 total) -- 140 bike commutes total in 2006
Wed - run, 8.5 mi, 58:xx, easy/moderate
Thu/Fri/Sat - off (travel, then sick)
Sun - 15.0 mi, hilly, 1:37:xx, moderate->kinda hard

Might have pushed a little too hard for my first day back at 98.6, but
I was really getting annoyed at being sick. Pretty strong run for all
the hills, but feeling toasted since then.
Also finally ready to try getting back into some strength training
after 3 weeks off from the bike crash. I'm starting to think there was
a hairline fracture in my wrist somewhere.

goals:
- Super Bowl 5k
- late Feb? - RRCA 10-mile club challenge
- spring - marathon somewhere

I2Run

Dec 24, 2006, 5:44:29 PM12/24/06

"Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
| Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon: rest
Tue: rest
Wed: rest
Thu: weights
Fri: 1 hour on Treadmill
Sat: 20 min on Treadmill
Sun: 5 mile hill walk

Tom B.

Dec 24, 2006, 5:47:45 PM12/24/06
> last week looked like
>
> 7.5 + 4/3.5 + 8.5 +7* = 30.5 miles
>
> that's a 10 mile increase over last week, and i added in a set of 6
> stairclimbing repeats on (*) for 450 feet of climbing. i know, it's how
> far dan climbs every morning just to get outta bed ;) but at least it's
> a start.

If it makes you feel any better, 30.5 miles matches my biggest mileage
week of the whole year.

> end goal: ....profit! seriously, i don't have one yet. i
> could/should/will look for a race to run, but i hate people and i'm
> guessing it's hard to avoid them at a race.

You won't like them any better after you get a look at the wiener
patrol that populates most road races. However, there's no substitute
for racing, so you'll just have to deal. A mix of scorn and comtempt
works OK for me.

tfactor

Dec 24, 2006, 5:53:36 PM12/24/06
Today, ~5 miles, 45 minutes

My first run in 10 days. Oh man did it feel good. Achilles tendon is
improving; no pain but a little tightness; bumps on the tendon itself
are receding. There's light at the end of the tunnel. I'll try another
run in the middle of the week.

Twittering One

Dec 24, 2006, 7:27:16 PM12/24/06
Elliptical is Eclipse 1000HR that I got today for free through
freecyle.org
~ Beginning Runner

Let us know how you like the X-training on the elliptical.

When I was first reconditioning for running, I did 30 min of elliptical
a few times a wee; the machine with the arm pumpers worked best, for
coordinating my holistic body movements, something consistent
spincycling had not done.

How did you get a "free" one?

Tony S.

Dec 24, 2006, 8:19:06 PM12/24/06
"h squared" <clevistoreply...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Tony S. wrote:
> > Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> > Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
> merry christmas to everyone who celebrates (or is forced to celebrate..)
> it. i have the traditional christmas zit on my nose, so all is going
> well here.

Yup Merry Christmas Heather. I feel forced to celebrate it most years. I
give up at some point and will myself into the 'spirit', be it before the
winter solstice like this year, or with the help of a few beers christmas
day afternoon other years ;) The thing that bugs me the most about it is
that everywhere people think you need to be reminded of it, just in case
you've just come down from the mountains or something. If it's not christmas
music, TV specials about Jesus, or gawdy display on your neighbor's lawn,
then it's subtle little things; for example the History channel (one of my
favorites) has decided that you need a constant reminder of the holidays, so
they have a christmas ornament hanging over their "H" logo on screen at all
times the last few days - which I find completely obnoxious. In any case, if
you should happen to want to join the "let's kill santa club" give me a
buzz!

> last week looked like
>
> 7.5 + 4/3.5 + 8.5 +7* = 30.5 miles
>
> that's a 10 mile increase over last week, and i added in a set of 6
> stairclimbing repeats on (*) for 450 feet of climbing. i know, it's how
> far dan climbs every morning just to get outta bed ;) but at least it's
> a start.

Stairs just for a random change - I like it.

> immediate goals: do another week like this one and then take a recovery
> week.
>
> intermediate goals: get some kind of a time piece or pace keeper to at
> least figure out what pace i can run at, and get one of my long runs up
> to 12 miles.
>
> end goal: ....profit! seriously, i don't have one yet. i
> could/should/will look for a race to run, but i hate people and i'm
> guessing it's hard to avoid them at a race.
>
> heather

So ms. grinchette, what did you like before as goals/challenges? When I got
back into it a few years ago that's what I did, I went back into my first
running love (orienteering) for a brief time, and went from there to trail
races. Now I'm zoned in.

-Tony

Phil M.

Dec 24, 2006, 11:24:31 PM12/24/06
On Dec 24, 12:06 am, "Tony S." <email_to...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Day Mi Type HR Ft/Mi Other
Mon 0.00 rest -- --- weights
Tue 10.18 lt 83% 187 5 mi @ lt
Wed 19.06 l 75% 90 ---
Thu 0.00 rest --- --- weights
Fri 12.26 ml 79% 19 ---
Sat 7.00 ga 71% 27 ---
Sun 12.75 ml 77% 25 ---
Week 61
Year 2,309

Training:
Week 11 of 24-week marathon training program, week 1 of 6-week lactate
threshold. Due to upcoming trip to Chicago, I ran my long run on
Wednesday instead of Sunday. I hadn't planed on it but I felt good
after 14 miles and the weather was great, so I upped it to 19 miles. As
it turned out, Chicago's weather on Fri, Sat, and Sun was fairly mild
(40-50F), and pretty flat too (note the ft/mi difference between Tue
and Fri).

Racing
2/03/07 tuneup race
2/17/07 tuneup race
3/03/07 tuneup race http://www.crrclub.com/racing.html
3/25/07 ING Georgia Marathon, Atlanta GA
http://www.georgiamarathon.com

Have a great week rec.runners!

--
Phil M.

Message has been deleted

D Stumpus

Dec 25, 2006, 1:21:51 AM12/25/06
Goal: Avalon 50 mile (if there's still room...) mid-January, sub 8 is my
way-out dream.

Mon: 7.5 easy, 1200' climb.
Tue: 12 medium, 2000' climb, 1:39
Wed: 7.5 easy, 1200' climb
Thu: 12 medium+, 2000' climb, 1:34. (7:50/mile) Ran it with a 30:30 college
runner.
Fri: 4.8 very easy (yesterday a bit too hard)
Sat: 18.4, easy 2400' climb in Santa Monicas, 2:36 (8:30/mile).
Sun: 10.0, very easy, 850' climb (flattest run of the week!), 8:54/mile

72.2 miles, 9650' climb.

On my Thursday medium run, a young guy asked if he could run with me on
my 12 miler. I was suspicious when I noted that he was my height (5'8+) and
looked to weigh about 125. Suspicions confirmed when I was puffing my way
up the opening very steep climb and I couldn't detect any breathing in him.
He has a recent 5k of 14:53 and 10k of 30:30 at age 19. Anyway, I gave him
several assignments like "how fast can you get to the top of this mountain",
and he obliged, but I had to bust my butt to stay with his easy cruising
pace. I could stay with him on the downs, cause I can still run those in
the 6's without discomfort, but the ups were a whole 'nother story...I tried
to imagine how much faster I'd be if I was 23 lbs lighter at 125, and young
again, and more talented..

Anyway he got me to do what amounts to 7:00 on flat for 12 miles, which is a
solid workout for me...(every 200' of climb on an out and back course slows
me down about 1 minute).

D Stumpus

Dec 25, 2006, 1:29:27 AM12/25/06

"h squared" <clevistoreply...@comcast.net> wrote

> that's a 10 mile increase over last week, and i added in a set of 6
> stairclimbing repeats on (*) for 450 feet of climbing. i know, it's how
> far dan climbs every morning just to get outta bed ;) but at least it's a
> start.

I prefer regular hills to stairs -- stairs are what, 30% grade? The
steepest hills around here are 20, and only for a short distance. Most
grades are 10% or less, which I find much easier to chug up than steps. You
can adjust your stride length on a trail, but on steps it's always one
step/stride...

Anyway good for you on hitting the steps...

Dot

Dec 25, 2006, 2:30:49 AM12/25/06
h squared wrote:

> end goal: ....profit! seriously, i don't have one yet. i
> could/should/will look for a race to run, but i hate people and i'm
> guessing it's hard to avoid them at a race.

Not sure what's around you, but around here we've got some small races -
or I'm slow enough that I'm at the tail of the pack, making it
effectively a small race.:) Many of my races have been in the 30ish
size, with some in the 50-200 range. (My record small is 3.) Only a
couple larger than that, but the shorter of those are kinda fun since I
get to pass people and not be the last person. In most cases, I can
carve my own space out and not see anyone or I can tolerate a crowd for
< 1hr. For some races, more people means more bear bait and reduced
chance of bear encounter.;) I only run trail races, but some road races
may be small also - say, 30.

Dot

--
"If we reach all our goals, we are not setting them high enough."
- Matt Carpenter

Dot

Dec 25, 2006, 3:33:48 AM12/25/06
D Stumpus wrote:
> "h squared" <clevistoreply...@comcast.net> wrote
>

>>that's a 10 mile increase over last week, and i added in a set of 6
>>stairclimbing repeats on (*) for 450 feet of climbing. i know, it's how
>>far dan climbs every morning just to get outta bed ;) but at least it's a
>>start.

heather, good on ya for getting some hill / stair work in there. I do
agree with Dan's comments though, depending on how steep any hills are
on your routes. The right kinds of stairs can help with strength and power.

> I prefer regular hills to stairs -- stairs are what, 30% grade? The
> steepest hills around here are 20, and only for a short distance. Most
> grades are 10% or less, which I find much easier to chug up than steps.

Dan, In general I would agree if you live in a land of gentle slopes and
rock/root-free footing. ;) Some of us would love to have an extended
slope <10% to train on. (I actually added some longer runs on flat
terrain to train for Long Lake, since the mechanics of running flat was
more like the 2000ft in 5 mi of that race compared with what I normally
run.)

As I've pieced together various trails for certain kinds of training,
I've grown to love the stairs in the middle of one of our trails:
http://tinyurl.com/yb99pd (upper left on page 1)
They're just my size for running up.:) There's 90 steps there, but I've
only been able to make it up about 80 before I have to walk (so far) -
or violently pass beyond LT (trust me, I know the signs - and the hrm
eventually catches up with my body). These were put in because the slope
is too steep and the soils too erodible to hold switchbacks. Plus they
act as a pinch point to limit access beyond this to self-propelled
humans (and dogs). (no wheels or horses) It's a trail design they'll be
using a bit, from what I've heard, for people management.

Anyway, most of the stairs in buildings that I'd tried during icy
weather either didn't have a large enough vertical component for 1 step,
2 steps were too much, the flat part was too wide, or the landings broke
my stride. Keep in mind, our tallest buildings only have 3 floors,
including the basement. But these were just right.

We lack trails with lots of rocks and roots (a few segments here and
there), so I've always struggled with the Seymour 10k in mid-May -
trying to run uphill, lifting my feet enough to get up the next rock. My
ability to get over obstacles while running uphill has substantially
improved since I included those stairs. I'm guessing they might be close
to 40% or better, since they're steeper than the trail above, and parts
of that are easily 30%. What I do is run the shallow part of the trail
(about 5-10 min, depending on where I start), which gets steeper and is
close to 10% slope just before a flat lookout area, which I walk for 30
sec recovery, then run the steps (trying to hit the top just below LT,
about 1 min), then power hike the steeper part to treeline, then run the
remainder (rolling, mostly <5%) to the top - all told about 30 min on
1st round, maybe 20 on others (don't go all the way back to trailhead).
It's about 700 ft vertical in 1.5 mi, but mostly in the middle part. On
the downhills, I have to walk the steeper parts since it's hardened with
geogrid blocks which tend to be slippery (they need to find a better way
for future trails), then run the shallow, gravel part. That's about the
only trail with shallow enough downhill that I'll run it hard (or at
least hard for me).

That hill has lots of benefits that I can't find elsewhere, with the
stairs being a really nice feature. But I hadn't really figured out its
benefits until this summer when I decided not to be intimidated by the
steps and tried running them rather than walking. Because that trail is
hardened, it shouldn't be closed during breakup like many other trails
are. And by the time the lower part is ice-free enough to run, the steps
are also ice and snow free - a critical feature for spring training. And
the other side of the hill has a trail on private property, but the
owners don't have a problem with people using it (they provide a small
parking area on that side) - and it's south facing. I didn't recognize
its value last spring. It'll be interesting to see how things go this
spring after learning a few things not to do last winter and spring and
having found a trail that should help address some issues. Live and learn.

BTW, we had inclinometers on one of our infamous single-track trails
this summer and found that the steeper sections that are such a pain
when muddy are from 45-55% slopes, and 30% most of the other areas on
the lower half. Now I know why I appreciate the trails that average 20%
slopes. (upper right photo: http://tinyurl.com/yn54v4)

>You
> can adjust your stride length on a trail, but on steps it's always one
> step/stride...

Yea, and ya gotta lift those feet - and your whole body and pack.:) It
took me a little bit before I figured out why I did so poorly on uphill
trails with roots and rocks - those steps were bigger than my usual step
on ramp-like hills.

Dot
I may be slow, but it's not cuz I don't try.;)

Tony S.

Dec 25, 2006, 7:39:52 AM12/25/06
"Parker Race" <pr...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

I hear ya - Best wishes in the new year Parker, hope we meet up at overlook
or perhaps mt. Greylock this year.

-Tony

Tony S.

Dec 25, 2006, 7:45:11 AM12/25/06
"joe positive" <kcol...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:06:42 GMT, "Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!
> >Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
> Goals: keep my energy level up; stay in a good mood. upcoming races:
> 5-miler Dec 30; marathon Jan 7; probably not a half-marathon Jan 21;
> probably a 10K Feb 10; probably a marathon Feb 18.

Good luck in your upcoming races Karen!

> M: 8mi (8:40)
> T: 12mi (7:42) incl 5mi tempo interrupted by careless drivers
> W: 10.27 (8:05)
> R: 15mi (7:41) progression, last 4@6:57
> F: 9.73mi (8:44) incl 14x30s strides
> Sa: 7.6mi (8:44)
> Su: 17mi (7:48)
>
> total: 79.6 miles

Your numbers always inspire/amaze me. Keep on keeping on. May the new year,
beginning Jan 7th, be one where your races bear fruit.

-Tony

Doug Freese

Dec 25, 2006, 8:17:36 AM12/25/06

"D Stumpus" <dstump...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Goal: Avalon 50 mile (if there's still room...) mid-January, sub 8 is
> my way-out dream.

It's got a Dec 29th cut off date and I don't see a max number(117 to
date have registered). I was looking for the total elevation numbers but
only a topo map was available and I'm way to holiday lazy to add it up.
Do you know what the up and down numbers are? I do see four nice pulls
to include the 34-46. I tried to see how easy/hard sub 8 has been in
the past but none of the results pages would come up. Judging from your
elevation numbers in training you look like you're paying your dues.
That last hill is only 1,600 over the 11 but it still means you have to
save a little for that point in the race.

I'm just starting to ramp up and will do a Fat Ass 50k Jan 7 but have to
decide if I'm doing it all. It's 5k loop and many just come to do a
series of laps with a few doing it all. I usually just do 6 or 7 laps
and then take my temperature to see if I want to get a long run in. I'll
finish before dark. ;)

Anywho, good luck. You should be going into taper time

-Doug

Elflord

Dec 25, 2006, 2:10:33 PM12/25/06

Stairs are different because the surface is flat. It's more of a pure power
to weight test and doesn't hit the calves as hard as hills to.

Cheers,
--
Elflord

Parker Race

Dec 25, 2006, 6:32:59 PM12/25/06

"Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thanks Tony

I'm not sure what next year will bring for me.
Once the Holidays are over I'm going to get to an allergist and and also get
a complete physical, it's been a few years.
With my family history, my father and paternal grandfather both died before
60 of heart attacks, I think I can justify asking for the Spiral CT test.
The Time article has me thinking. After that I'll decide if Marathons and
beyond are any longer in my future.
Right now I'm thinking about forgetting about long distance and focusing on
getting ready for a 4 mile race in March.

It looks like you're back into the swing of training. Maybe I'll help out at
the Escarpment trail run this year.
Good luck in meeting your goals in the coming year.

Parker

> -Tony

Charlie Pendejo

Dec 25, 2006, 7:25:43 PM12/25/06
61.25 bicoastal miles, as

Mo AM: 11.90 easy, recovering from weekend race

Tu AM: 4.15 easy
PM: 4.15 easy

We AM: 11.90 "I'm a little cross country / I'm a little fartlek and
roll". Strides, drills, hard up hills.

Th AM: 8.05 easy

Fr AM: 12.20 easy - moderate - kinda hard in spots

Sa AM: 4.15 easy

Su AM: 4.75 easy, hilly Elyssian Park

year to date: 2808

upcoming
--------
up the coast to SF

joe positive

Dec 25, 2006, 7:40:30 PM12/25/06
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:45:11 GMT, "Tony S." <email...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Good luck in your upcoming races Karen!

>Your numbers always inspire/amaze me. Keep on keeping on. May the new year,

>beginning Jan 7th, be one where your races bear fruit.
>
>-Tony

From your mouth to God's ears, Tony. Thanks.

Karen

live! vicariously!

D Stumpus

Dec 25, 2006, 8:48:44 PM12/25/06

"Doug Freese" wrote

> "D Stumpus" wrote

>> Goal: Avalon 50 mile (if there's still room...) mid-January, sub 8 is my
>> way-out dream.

> It's got a Dec 29th cut off date and I don't see a max number(117 to date
> have registered). I was looking for the total elevation numbers but only a
> topo map was available and I'm way to holiday lazy to add it up.

Rumors say from 5000 to 7500. I think my altimeter watch said 7000' of
climb last time, but I didn't write it down...

Nowadays most years only 3-4 are sub 8. In comparison, back in '85 I came
in 5th with a 7:04 in my first 50. It would be nice for sentimental reasons
to hit the magic 7 again, but as you know, it's a tough goal for an old
codger.

> Judging from your elevation numbers in training you look like you're
> paying your dues. That last hill is only 1,600 over the 11 but it still
> means you have to save a little for that point in the race.

That gradual rise isn't bad, the problem is that sometimes in January temps
there hit 100! At mile 44 there's a very steep 1/2 mile to get you to the
top of the island -- there's a lot of hiking up that baby.

> I'm just starting to ramp up and will do a Fat Ass 50k Jan 7 but have to
> decide if I'm doing it all. It's 5k loop and many just come to do a series
> of laps with a few doing it all. I usually just do 6 or 7 laps and then
> take my temperature to see if I want to get a long run in. I'll finish
> before dark. ;)

An excellent plan. I guess it depends on whether you want the whole 50k to
jump start your endurance training...it's kind of neat how you can get a
long run in (>25 miles), rest up to recover, and be stronger afterward...

> Anywho, good luck. You should be going into taper time

Thanks, and now that you mention it, I'm taking today off, in part to rest
up for a run tomorrow with a certain visitor from NY.

Doug Freese

Dec 25, 2006, 10:23:49 PM12/25/06

> Thanks, and now that you mention it, I'm taking today off, in part to
> rest up for a run tomorrow with a certain visitor from NY.

John Geesler? :) Anyone I know? CP?

-Doug

Phil M.

Dec 25, 2006, 11:19:25 PM12/25/06
On Dec 25, 7:25 pm, "Charlie Pendejo" <Charlie.Pend...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 61.25 bicoastal miles

61.25 - exactly my total miles, to 1/100 of a mile. Freaky.

--
Phil M.

D Stumpus

Dec 26, 2006, 1:00:05 AM12/26/06

"Doug Freese" wrote

> "D Stumpus" wrote

>> Thanks, and now that you mention it, I'm taking today off, in part to

>> rest up for a run tomorrow with a certain visitor from NY.

> John Geesler? :) Anyone I know? CP?

The latter. We're going to tackle a tough little 12 miler in the Santa
Monicas. Goal is to be able to keep up (of course it helps that I know the
route... :-)

Doug Freese

Dec 26, 2006, 6:05:09 AM12/26/06

> The latter. We're going to tackle a tough little 12 miler in the
> Santa Monicas. Goal is to be able to keep up (of course it helps that
> I know the

For who to keep up? :)
> route... :-)

City boy in the hills even with switch backs - I await the report. I'd
like to get his tail just 90 miles north in Woodstock where I have rise
or two and he can cop some good drugs to mellow out his experience.
Break him in and pass him off, maybe make a real runner out of him. :)

-Doug

h squared

Dec 26, 2006, 10:27:11 AM12/26/06
Tom B. wrote:

> If it makes you feel any better, 30.5 miles matches my biggest mileage
> week of the whole year.

it's not making me feel better, speedy. :) i don't know if you watch
football, but sometimes during the recap shows when they are showing a
player running 80 yards, eluding all efforts to catch him and then
making a touch down, they use a special effect on his legs to make it
look like they are turning in a super-speedy blurry circle, and that's
how i imagine you running. zooooom! besides, you ride your bike, just
because you don't count it in your mileage doesn't mean it doesn't count...

>>end goal: ....profit! seriously, i don't have one yet. i
>>could/should/will look for a race to run, but i hate people and i'm
>>guessing it's hard to avoid them at a race.
>

> You won't like them any better after you get a look at the wiener
> patrol that populates most road races. However, there's no substitute
> for racing, so you'll just have to deal. A mix of scorn and comtempt
> works OK for me.

i'm lucky in that i have been (as a spectator) to bike races and have
participated in other races, so i have some experience with other
"weiner patrols" and with racing in general, but it still makes me sick
to my stomach to think about going to one. i just have to chill and get
over myself, i know it. i usually have fun during actual races so if i
just get over the initial fear of driving to one and signing in and
going thru the warmup and then waiting for the gun to go off, i'll be ok.

Frank Boettcher

Dec 26, 2006, 10:36:40 AM12/26/06
wrote:

>Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!

>Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon - DNR
Tues - 5 miles
Wed - 6 miles
Thurs - 6 miles
Friday - 6 miles
Sat - 1 mile
Sun - 1 mile

Total 25 miles

OK considering the holiday related interruptions. The one milers were
slow jogs with the dog.

goals? Someone posted a link to that Hansen SOS marathon program.
Never run one before, always thought the investment in time to get the
mileage was more than I wanted to do. Thinking about it now with that
lower mileage plan. Maybe Philadelphia. I can visit my son and
grandson.

near term. get back on track with weekly mileage. stay on average
during the winter, toughest time for me. Got some underarmour cold
gear for Christmas. should help.

Frank

h squared

Dec 26, 2006, 10:44:13 AM12/26/06
Tony S. wrote:

> then it's subtle little things; for example the History channel (one of my
> favorites) has decided that you need a constant reminder of the holidays, so
> they have a christmas ornament hanging over their "H" logo on screen at all
> times the last few days - which I find completely obnoxious. In any case, if
> you should happen to want to join the "let's kill santa club" give me a
> buzz!

lol :) by coincidence we were watching the history channel on christmas
eve after getting back from a relative's house, and there it was- the
decorated history channel logo. well, it's over now and today is the
longest possible time until more christmas, so enjoy boxing day :)

> Stairs just for a random change - I like it.

i live on a ridge that runs relatively flat north and south, but has
steep hills to the east and west (the whole area is comprised of a
series of north/south ridges and hills in the east and west directions).
there aren't a lot of streets to run on in the e-w direction, but within
a mile of my house there are 6 different stairways, so in the past i've
usually run up a couple of them during a normal run. but then i started
having twinges in my left foot so i stopped doing that, and after my
last stairclimbing effort my foot has felt a little tight and sore, so
i'm going to avoid them again for a few weeks. something about climbing
so rapidly stretches out my foot's arch in a bad way :(

> So ms. grinchette, what did you like before as goals/challenges? When I got
> back into it a few years ago that's what I did, I went back into my first
> running love (orienteering) for a brief time, and went from there to trail
> races. Now I'm zoned in.

when i first got into running i was already in really good shape (much
better than i am now) and i thought it was pointless to run less than 2
or 3 hours at a time, (this is making me laugh now...) so i can't go
back to that mindset. i think i would like just to get in good enough
shape and get my tendons and muscles and ligaments and bones strong
enough to be able to run something like a 10 k full out so that i cross
the line feeling like i'm going to puke and knowing i went as fast as i
possibly could. right now if i run as fast as i can, even for just a
minute, my hamstring starts to cringe or my knee begins to throb, ok, i
know this is boring, but i think i'm saying right now my goal is just to
train and get stronger and then i will have a better idea of what i want
to do. thanks for making me think about it though, even if i did repay
you with rambling incoherence :)

heather

h squared

Dec 26, 2006, 10:52:33 AM12/26/06
D Stumpus wrote:

i like both hills and stairs, but it did amuse me to think, (after
coming home all sore and beat from just 6 stair repeats) "ok, how many
stair repeats would i need to do each run during the week to get in
dan's 10,000 feet of climbing....hmm, let's just run the numbers thru
the calculator: multiply multiply divide divide divide = oh. 40 per day.
(pause as it sinks in...) @!!!!#%*..."

:)

h squared

Dec 26, 2006, 10:58:13 AM12/26/06
Dot wrote:

> h squared wrote:

> Not sure what's around you, but around here we've got some small races -
> or I'm slow enough that I'm at the tail of the pack, making it
> effectively a small race.:) Many of my races have been in the 30ish
> size, with some in the 50-200 range. (My record small is 3.) Only a
> couple larger than that, but the shorter of those are kinda fun since I
> get to pass people and not be the last person. In most cases, I can
> carve my own space out and not see anyone or I can tolerate a crowd for
> < 1hr. For some races, more people means more bear bait and reduced
> chance of bear encounter.;) I only run trail races, but some road races
> may be small also - say, 30.
>
> Dot

it's possible that we have lots of small races around here- i am
completely clueless. i did see one scheduled for new year's day where
the turn around point for the race is on a ramp that goes into lake
washington (brr!) so i'm guessing that might not have thousands of
participants, ;) but i don't want to immerse myself in lake washington
on january 1st just for the sake of solitude!

anyway, i should at least drive past a race start and see what it's like
before complaining about it (i know that's not what you are saying to
me, you are nice, but it's what i say to myself to stiffen my spine).

heather

D Stumpus

Dec 26, 2006, 1:05:52 PM12/26/06

"h squared" wrote>

> "ok, how many stair repeats would i need to do each run during the week to
> get in dan's 10,000 feet of climbing....hmm, let's just run the numbers
> thru the calculator: multiply multiply divide divide divide = oh. 40 per
> day. (pause as it sinks in...) @!!!!#%*..."

Hey, if I thought about it that way, I'd never get out of bed! I just run X
miles out and I *have* to get back, so I do...

-- Dan

"The longest journey begins with a single step"

shinypenny

Dec 26, 2006, 3:22:36 PM12/26/06

shinypenny wrote:

> Goals:
> 1) remain injury free

Replying to myself...

Argh, I woke up yesterday morning with what appears to be a hamstring
pull. Here I go again!!

It didn't bother me at all during or after my run on Sunday. I ran on
the road, my usual pace and route (mostly on the street - there's only
a slight camber, but I always switch sides frequently just in case). It
wasn't until the next morning that I felt pain.

I spent Sunday evening standing for a few hours in high heels at a
holiday party - not sure if that contributed. I slept very soundly
Sunday night, waking in the early AM a few times with the groggy
thought that I must've slept funny on my hip, because it was aching
right where the leg bone enters the socket.

I iced it while drinking my coffee, but within a few hours of waking,
the pain had spread beyond the joint to the entire outer hamstrings.
The pain was most noticeable when easing into a chair to sit, or
walking up stairs, or extending my leg out to the side. By late day, I
was also having mild lower back spasms.

I am better today - spasms completely gone, and I can sit easier, but
sigh... this is frustrating to have something like this happen, *yet
again* even though I've been so careful this time not to overtrain and
ramp up slowly.

On Sunday my Asics officially hit 300 miles - note that most of that
mileage was accumulated through walking, not running - however, I
suspect this may be a contributing factor. I think I may take this
occasion to finally go get a formal gait analysis at my local running
store and look at other brands. I have always loved Asics, but they
wear out way too quickly, IME.

Any other advice, experience or insights welcome.

jen

Tom B.

Dec 27, 2006, 8:09:15 AM12/27/06
h squared wrote:
> > You won't like them any better after you get a look at the wiener
> > patrol that populates most road races. However, there's no substitute
> > for racing, so you'll just have to deal. A mix of scorn and comtempt
> > works OK for me.
>
> i'm lucky in that i have been (as a spectator) to bike races and have
> participated in other races, so i have some experience with other
> "weiner patrols" and with racing in general, but it still makes me sick
> to my stomach to think about going to one. i just have to chill and get
> over myself, i know it. i usually have fun during actual races so if i
> just get over the initial fear of driving to one and signing in and
> going thru the warmup and then waiting for the gun to go off, i'll be ok.

I was mainly ragging on the (running) road racing scene for comic
effect, and also to slip in a reference to the time Bart joined the
Junior Campers.

So you're saying that you have not actually been in a running road race
before? I know you've inline skated at a high level, but I don't know
anything about that scene. I do know cycling and running, though, and
they are way different. If you suck on the bike, it'll be made
abundantly clear that you should probably just go home (and maybe never
come back). Not at all true for running.

The #1 piece of advice I have is about the start. It's really easy to
lay back and start pretty far back in the pack. Don't do it! It will
be frustrating beyond description to be boxed in by a zillion slower
runners. Look at previous years' results, try to guess where you would
have finished, then move up about 2x closer to the front to compensate
for the clueless/selfish who are too far forward.

I'm sure you already know the rest about warmup, pacing strategy, etc.
My own mental trick is to be prepared to feel like quitting around the
halfway mark because I'm sure there's no way I can continue to suffer
that badly.

Good luck on picking a race.

gym.gravity

Dec 27, 2006, 10:32:34 AM12/27/06
miles pace
Dec 18, 2006 7.80 8:59
Dec 19, 2006 9.70 8:59 picked up a gallon of milk
Dec 20, 2006 9.70 9:23 hilly
Dec 21, 2006
Dec 22, 2006 9.50 9:11 flat, felt slow. not getting enough sleep
Dec 23, 2006 7 9:16 hilly
Dec 24, 2006 12 8:38 hilly (as usual, my longest runs are always
a little faster too)

55.7 miles. most ever. this coming week should be closer to 60.

sleep has become a problem...just having trouble gettin into bed before
11.

I feel best when I am asleep before 10 and get up before 4:45 (took the
morning off yesterday (tuesday) and slept until almost 7)

year in review weeks beginning mondays:

Dec 26, 2005 23.60
Jan 2, 2006 29.36
Jan 9, 2006 29.34
Jan 16, 2006 40.84
Jan 23, 2006 18.41
Jan 30, 2006 7.68
Feb 6, 2006 26.31
Feb 13, 2006 17.73
Feb 20, 2006 17.68
Feb 27, 2006
Mar 6, 2006 30.15
Mar 13, 2006 6.10
Mar 20, 2006 18.54
Mar 27, 2006 28.18
Apr 3, 2006 8.60
Apr 10, 2006 23.46
Apr 17, 2006 30.17
Apr 24, 2006 31.27
May 1, 2006 26.59
May 8, 2006 25.30
May 15, 2006 20.16
May 22, 2006 21.80
May 29, 2006 28.58
Jun 5, 2006 28
Jun 12, 2006 28.59
Jun 19, 2006 31.60
Jun 26, 2006 28.30
Jul 3, 2006 32.75
Jul 10, 2006 25.04
Jul 17, 2006 36.78
Jul 24, 2006 39.64
Jul 31, 2006 40.95
Aug 7, 2006 43.24
Aug 14, 2006 32.10
Aug 21, 2006 41.95
Aug 28, 2006 40.90
Sep 4, 2006 42.60
Sep 11, 2006
Sep 18, 2006 47.39
Sep 25, 2006 46.40
Oct 2, 2006 51.35
Oct 9, 2006 32.10
Oct 16, 2006 33.50
Oct 23, 2006 43.30
Oct 30, 2006 54.28
Nov 6, 2006 48.27
Nov 13, 2006 49.72
Nov 20, 2006 21.08
Nov 27, 2006 52.96
Dec 4, 2006 55.02
Dec 11, 2006 41.60
Dec 18, 2006 55.70

Daniel

Dec 27, 2006, 12:27:12 PM12/27/06
Going into the 12th week since I broke my fibula.

I'm walking, sticking to flat surfaces for now. This past week I was
able to get out for about 5 miles of walking, plus an hour "running"
on the mini-trampoline and two 20-minute sessions on my home-made
wobbleboard (doing the board while holding onto the backs of chairs
for balance and security).

My ankle "stirrup muscles" are still weak. I can stand on one foot
(the affected foot) with my eyes closed and balance for a minute or so
-- re-learning my balance / proprioception. Two weeks ago I could
only do it eyes-open.

Goals: Run again. Meanwhile, dreaming of new PRs in 2007! The
running equivalent of visions of sugarplums, I guess. |-)

Peace,
--
Daniel ( deltae...@usa.net )

roger

Dec 27, 2006, 5:16:56 PM12/27/06
I ran. Quite a lot.

I intend to continue with this plan.

h squared

Dec 27, 2006, 6:53:21 PM12/27/06
Tom B. wrote:

> So you're saying that you have not actually been in a running road race
> before? I know you've inline skated at a high level, but I don't know
> anything about that scene. I do know cycling and running, though, and
> they are way different. If you suck on the bike, it'll be made
> abundantly clear that you should probably just go home (and maybe never
> come back). Not at all true for running.

nope, i'm clueless about running a race and i'm pretty outta shape right
now too, so it's not like any of this is of extreme importance (like if
i was trying to get a personal best or qualify for boston, etc).

i did ok at skating on a recreational level. in skating (at the
recreational level mind you), you can suck and still be allowed to come
back. there is etiquette to be learned- like don't grab the shirt of the
person in front of you if you trip, but nobody was mean or dismissive to
someone just because they were slow (again in general), so i'm imagining
running is similar.

but even when i was used to it and knew people in the wiener patrol and
became an honorary member myself :) i still dreaded going to most every
race. i must have a phobia or ocd or a mental block. like i said, i just
need to chill and get over myself, because who's even going to notice if
i'm present or not? not a single person at my first race is going to
care if i run the whole thing at 15 minutes per mile :)

> The #1 piece of advice I have is about the start. It's really easy to
> lay back and start pretty far back in the pack. Don't do it! It will
> be frustrating beyond description to be boxed in by a zillion slower
> runners. Look at previous years' results, try to guess where you would
> have finished, then move up about 2x closer to the front to compensate
> for the clueless/selfish who are too far forward.

ok. i've experienced being stuck behind slow people and it is pretty
frustrating- at my first inline race i lined up dead last, tee hee
(laughing at myself). i don't mind getting boxed in a tad the first time
i try racing but won't start way in the back unless the previous results
indicate that i should. thanks!

> Good luck on picking a race.

thanks, i looked the other day and all i can find are 5k races, which i
don't really want to do, they sound way way way too painful. i would do
something stupid like try to run 8 minute miles and that pace would kill
me right now if i managed to achieve it. i am waiting for a medium sized
10 or 15 k to show up on the local schedule. meanwhile training 7 miles
here, 4 miles there, rest day, rest day, climb a few stairs is good
enough to improve me and my form right now.

hh

anders

Dec 29, 2006, 7:19:37 AM12/29/06

Tony S. wrote:

> Greetings and Happy Holidays, rec.runners!

Saluti a tutti! And <in the voice of Dr, Nick> Happy New Year,
everybody!

> Please tell us about your training week and goals.

Mon-Sun DNR; hectic recovery from a DNS.

Reflection: shit happens, the universe is a machine designed to crush
dreams and human beings are machines designed to create dreams, The
less said, the better.

Goals: (1) to do better than the gypsy's horse which keeled over just
when it had learned to live without eating, (2) to have some proper use
for my running shoes some time in the not too distant future, and
meanwhile (3) to be able to stick around rec.running, if only in a
read-only mode.

Anders

steve common

Dec 30, 2006, 6:27:33 PM12/30/06
Goals:
- PB marathon, as close to 15km/h as my blubber will allow

Mon 1:03 15k 10mi 70%HRmax 52' up,lines,drills. 14'down 8°C
11 x 200m/100 in 38"/38"

Tue-Fri 0:00 Work trip which went on too long cos of
fog in UK...

Sat-Sun 0:00 Christmas in the Pyrenees. Did not snow :-(

Anthony

Dec 31, 2006, 1:36:06 AM12/31/06

> Saluti a tutti! And <in the voice of Dr, Nick> Happy New Year,
> everybody!

To you too!

> Mon-Sun DNR; hectic recovery from a DNS.

Well - I did check out your Italian connection, but saw that something must
have gone
astray...

There's always hope. Good luck.

Anthony.