Up hill, evaluation

looytune

Jun 25, 2002, 3:52:49 AM6/25/02
Lately, I'm doïng some up hill training. The aim is to have a proper
fitness to go mountainering within a few weeks.
A found a hill, 40 meters (120 feet) high, 30-35 %. Takes about one
minute to get up the hill in a fast way. Haert rate is booming (180
bpm).
I rest , walk down, and start again (10 x). I don’t know much
about training theory, but enough to know that it’s not because
I’m sweating, that the training is good.
So, this questions/considerations:

- considering the fact that I don't run roo much lately, isn't this up
hill running boosting my fitness, more tha just flat unning?
- the hill also has a weaker side (less %, longer). Wich approach is
better?
- sprinting (haert rate 180 bpm) vs just fast (160). Which is better?
- Is up hill training a good training for mountainering? Or should I
focus on endurance? (long flat runs)
- If I combine long, flat runs with up hill running, what proportion
should I consider? 1 up hill vs 3 long-flats?

Thanks in advance,
dieter

S. Peacock

Jun 25, 2002, 9:22:50 AM6/25/02
It all depends on how big that chunk of rock is that you are going to be
going up.

http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp

A better hill (or set of steps) would have both your heart and
respiration elevated for about 5 mins before you turn around and coast
down hill. The hill climbing set of muscles is a bit different than the
pavement pounding muscles. The heart and lungs are the same. Note in
the training plan above that running and hill/stairs are both included.
Also note the length of the plan.

Key to your success in mountaineering is regulated respiration and
steady heart beat. When the trail gets steep, step breathing takes
over. An inhale on one foot and an exhale on the other. If you need
more air you take shorter steps and deeper breaths. You try to manage
this process so that you don't stop every 5 mins for a 'breather'.
Shoot for an hour hiking underload with out a break. I'm assuming that
you are a young, strapping young person. A HR of 150-165 all day would
be a nice goal. But if you can keep it at 140 for several miles you
have a good start (assuming 180 is fast for you).

Don't forget the down hill muscles. You have to get down too.

When you run up that hill, use the down hill to rest and walk (don't
run) smartly down hill. Overall, a longer time at 160 would be better
than a quick a blast to 180.

You should be doing as much long running that you can. More than 20
mins a day (run/jog/walk) is a minimum by the time you start your
adventure. Pick a couple of rest days scattered in the week to do other
kinds of light exercise. If you can't run, then spend your time on the
hill or sets of stairs. But that hill should be walked as fast as you
can (FAST) and for an hour, not 10-20 mins. At the end of the hour, you
should be very, very tired.

You should also be doing some stomping around everyday with the pack
that you will be lugging around. That is a similar but different
exercise. Don't be a hero and try to carry a fully weighted pack the
first day...if you only have 'weeks', I'd work up to hero status fairly
quickly tho. You can weight the pack with 1 gal Ziplock bags of kitty
litter (5 lbs each) or liter bottles of water. Just make sure you get
the weight close to your body and high(er) in the back -- put in light
weight stuffing (blanket/partially inflated sleeping pad) in the bottom
of the pack. If it is a steep hill, I'd not recommend you spend a lot
of time going down hill with a loaded pack.

So once you are whipped into fairly good shape what about the hike
itself? Take if very, very easy early in the day and at the end of the
day. The object is to enjoy the outdoors and not see how many miles you
can wrap up a day. Take a 10-15 panting break about every hour and plan
on taking at least 1 picture a day. Make lunch an event and include a
nap. 3PM is the golden hour that you can sneak off by yourself or with
somebody important and just put your feet up and watch the grass grow.
The pace? 10 miles a day with a 2000 - 3000 foot gain at 9,000 to
12,000' altitude is considered a pretty good day.

Clyde

Jun 25, 2002, 11:54:07 AM6/25/02
looytune <seven...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lately, I'm doďng some up hill training. The aim is to have a proper

Realistically, if you're climbing in a few weeks, anything you do now
won't help all that much...it's what you've done in the past year that
counts. Hills are good for some of your training but that's just part of
it; you need to evaluate your weaknesses to decide what to work on. For
endurance, your best bet is road biking (or XC skiing in winter) not
running. You need to be prepared for 6 to 8 hours of hard effort, day
after day, and you'll just beat yourself up training that much on foot.
Weight training is more time efficient and effective than humping a big
pack around but some people enjoy suffering. Those who only run do
poorly in the mountains.

gentolm

Jun 27, 2002, 6:44:10 AM6/27/02
what mountain?? i klimb but not above 2 miles , 3200 meters
plodzilla