Yaesu FRT-7700 antenna tuner

Chris

Jul 5, 2002, 3:18:53 AM7/5/02
Has anyone any experience with this antenna tuner?
I have read that it can be used on receivers other than the Yaesu FRG-7700.
Would it noticably improve reception on a Kenwood R5000 or a JRC 525?
Thanks...

Fcathell

Jul 5, 2002, 5:18:59 PM7/5/02
I had one years ago and was totally unimpressed. The little, cheap Grove TUN3
passive preselector ran circles around it.

Frank

tq

Jul 6, 2002, 6:15:55 PM7/6/02
I've got one hitched up to my FRG-8800, with good results. It's attached to
a big homebrew loop. My guess is that it would work just fine with the
Kenwood or JRC.

tq

"Chris" <chrisd...@otn.net> wrote in message

Jose Tuero

Aug 18, 2002, 8:56:10 AM8/18/02
In article <_en49.1$qv....@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "Chris"
<chrisd...@otn.net> wrote:
>Does any one else have any experience with this tuner?

>Chris <chrisd...@otn.net> wrote in message
Hi Chris,
Both the FRT-7700 and FRA-7700 have a 5 pin DIN connector that plugs into the
back of the FRG-7700. The Kenwood or JRC may not have the same connections at
the rear of those sets requiring you to jerry-rig the output from the tuner to
the antenna inputs of either of those radios. the 5 pin DIN also provides
power for the tuner. Be careful, you don't want to fry anything on either of
those fine radios. By the way I own an FRG-7700 that's how I know.
I suggest looking into active antenna or antenna tuner like those made by MFJ
Enterprises. Now you only have to worry about making an antenna connection
and nothing else.
Good luck!
Joe

RHF

Aug 18, 2002, 10:13:26 PM8/18/02
Chris,

The Yaesu FRT-7700 Antenna Tuner is a 'passive devise' (requires no
power).
It can accept two antennas High-Z & Low-Z. If you are into AM/MW/BCB
DXing; it has a separate switch for "DX/BC" & SW/BC. Other front
panel selectors are a 0-60dB Attenuator; 'Band' Selector LW, BCB and 4
SW; Antenna 'Matching' Selector; 'Tuning' Knob; and On - Off(By Pass)
Switch. It has separate High-Z & Low-Z antenna outputs. It is what I
use on several radio set ups that have a MW Loop antenna and outside
wire antenna for Shortwave. I own several MFJ Products: But, I just
like the FRT-7700 size and layout for both MW & SW.

NOTE: The Yaesu FRT-7700 Antenna Tuner is a 'active devise' (requires
9VDC power). Again, it has a separate switch for "DX/BC" & SW/BC.

~ RHF

.