HD Radio shutdown in Wash, D.C! LMFAO!

PocketRadio

Dec 29, 2008, 3:06:00 PM12/29/08
"They’re turning off HD in Washington, DC"

"Well, this time it’s not an anomaly or a digital exciter glitch—at
least not that we can see. For weeks now the Washington, DC market has
been turning off its HD Radio signals en masse. There is no longer any
station in the market on AM broadcasting in HD."

http://www.rbr.com/radio/12018.html

"CC Radio’s Format Lab gone?"
November 2008

"Really, the next round of budget cuts--out of necessity--is likely
going to be HD Radio equipment and licensing renewals. It has cost
broadcasters money that so far has not generated ROI. This CC Radio
news above, along with the rumors that Citadel has told Engineering
not to fix any broken HD transmitters on AM, may be the tip of the
iceberg."

http://www.rbr.com/radio/11252.html

Finally! It's over! LMFAO! SWEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

PocketRadio

Dec 29, 2008, 10:41:06 PM12/29/08

Hey - anyone notice a lack AM hash tonight?

rfb...@yahoo.com

Dec 30, 2008, 12:21:08 AM12/30/08

This is GREAT news. So long and good riddance hd radio! I can't wait
to see pictures of hd radio equipment piled up in the backroom (next
to the broken copiers and broken coffee machines) of broadcast
stations.

rfb...@yahoo.com

Dec 30, 2008, 12:30:42 AM12/30/08

Interesting to note that iBiquity is just outside of Washington DC (in
Columbia, MD). One can imagine CEO Struble and COO Jury pulling their
hair out.

Now could someone please tell me how hd radio is going to save the
radio broadcast world when they don't even want to buy HD Radio
equipment and renew their licenses?

David Eduardo

Dec 30, 2008, 1:36:24 AM12/30/08

<rfb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<Interesting to note that iBiquity is just outside of Washington DC (in
<Columbia, MD). One can imagine CEO Struble and COO Jury pulling their
<hair out.

DC has the worst AMs, collectively, of any major US market. Not a one of
them covers the entire market with a viable signal, and this is in part why
that the whole band only has 6% of the radio listening... less than 3% under
age 50. AM HD is useless on bad signals in large metros.

Telamon

Dec 30, 2008, 3:19:08 AM12/30/08
In article
<03557ac1-2e8c-4983...@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
PocketRadio <sidwell...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 3:06 pm, PocketRadio <sidwellfrie...@aol.com> wrote:

> > "Theyąre turning off HD in Washington, DC"
> >
> > "Well, this time itąs not an anomaly or a digital exciter glitch‹at

> > least not that we can see. For weeks now the Washington, DC market has
> > been turning off its HD Radio signals en masse. There is no longer any
> > station in the market on AM broadcasting in HD."
> >
> > http://www.rbr.com/radio/12018.html
> >

> > "CC Radioąs Format Lab gone?"

> > November 2008
> >
> > "Really, the next round of budget cuts--out of necessity--is likely
> > going to be HD Radio equipment and licensing renewals. It has cost
> > broadcasters money that so far has not generated ROI. This CC Radio
> > news above, along with the rumors that Citadel has told Engineering
> > not to fix any broken HD transmitters on AM, may be the tip of the
> > iceberg."
> >
> > http://www.rbr.com/radio/11252.html
> >
> > Finally! It's over! LMFAO! SWEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
>
> Hey - anyone notice a lack AM hash tonight?

I have the same stations spewing IBOC hash tonight, so no.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

PocketRadio

Dec 30, 2008, 5:11:53 AM12/30/08
> equipment and renew their licenses?- Hide quoted text -

"One can imagine CEO Struble and COO Jury pulling their hair out.'

Jury already has - LMFAO!

PocketRadio

Dec 30, 2008, 5:13:37 AM12/30/08

If you read the article, FM-HDs have shut down, too!

"The FM list now includes 106.7 WJFK-FM (CBS Radio); 102.3 WWMJ-FM
(Radio One); 104.1 WPRS-FM (Radio One) and 107.7 WWWT-FM
(Bonneville)."

Nice try, Eduardo!

jimwi...@labs.net

Dec 30, 2008, 8:57:44 AM12/30/08
On Dec 30, 1:36 am, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

Eduardo - Is there ANYTHING you don't know? Is there ANYTHING you
can't justify away? Seriously, you're credibility is questionable.
Not because you're necessarily wrong but because you come across as
someone most people learn to avoid. I suspect people around you avoid
you for this very reason. Think about it.

dxAce

Dec 30, 2008, 9:15:38 AM12/30/08

jimwi...@labs.net wrote:

I've certainly been saying just that for years!

> Think about it.

He's incapable!

Pocket-Radio

Dec 30, 2008, 12:26:40 PM12/30/08
On Dec 30, 1:36 am, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

me thinks, if these stations generated ratings or revenues they'd
still be on.
Either way it's really bad..so I wonder what market is next?

David Eduardo

Dec 30, 2008, 3:20:57 PM12/30/08

"Pocket-Radio" <scott...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The DC AMs for the most part have little or zero ratings, with only 5
showing up in the Summer Arbitron book out of 26 total ams in the market. Of
the 5 that showed, only one got over a 1 share in 12+, and none got over a 2
share in 25-54, the "sales demo." 20 FMs got over a 1 share, though.

News WTOP-FM alone had a 12+ share greater than the share of all the DC FMs.

David Eduardo

Dec 30, 2008, 3:26:03 PM12/30/08

<jimwi...@labs.net> wrote in message

The data I cite is readily available to persons inside the radio business; I
don't "know it all" but know where to look it up. This is in a stark
contrast to most of the posters in this thread, who have no facts or figures
and rant against something simply because they do not like it.

The info in my previous post came from Arbitron (I have access to many
markets as a subscriber), BIA (the recognized data source for market and
station information) and Data World (for the coverage maps).

Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a dream
world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced by facts. I
would avoid those people myself.

dxAce

Dec 30, 2008, 3:27:57 PM12/30/08

David Frackelton Gleason, posing as 'Eduardo', pulled some more nonsense out of

Take a hike, 'Eduardo', as your fluff and fakery aren't playing well here in
RRS, just as it doesn't in Peoria.

dxAce

Dec 30, 2008, 3:29:25 PM12/30/08

David Eduardo wrote:

'Eduardo', you are the poster child of self-invented fiction and fantasy.

Proven fact!

Bob Campbell

Dec 30, 2008, 8:03:54 PM12/30/08
"David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in message

> Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a dream
> world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced by facts.
> I would avoid those people myself.

Indeed. Since David is the *only* regular poster here who actually works in
radio, I believe his postings and generally ignore everyone else's. He has
access to actual facts, not just anecdotes.

Also, I find it fascinating that so many people here seem to be cheering the
demise of HD. As HD goes, so goes radio. The fact that HD appears to be
failing only reinforces the idea that there is no interest in radio at all.
No one cares about HD because no one listens to commercial radio any more.

Be careful what you wish for.

Brenda Ann

Dec 30, 2008, 8:56:59 PM12/30/08

"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote in message
This is partially true.. but the main fact here is: IBOC is an answer in
search of a problem. Millions of radios are still being sold. IBOC is just a
non-starter. AMS was a far better idea, but the FCC left it to the 'market
place' and nothing was settled as far as the default system. So... it died.
IBOC will die, due to lack of interest. The average person is simply happy
with what they have, and uninterested in spending the money for a so called
upgrade.

BTW, though I'm not in sales, I have been in broadcast engineering. IBOC,
especially on the MW band, is just plain bad engineering. Only a very short
time ago, it would have been totally unthinkable, and even against the FCC
rules, to have energy so far away from the center carrier as to cause
interference to adjacent channels, whether local or not.

I think there IS a place for digital radio in the marketplace, but it should
follow the European model of using a band all it's own in the VHF or UHF
spectrum. There could be a wide variety of different stations available in
digital in a very narrow strip of bandwidth that could be culled from the TV
channels being taken from the TV service when analog is shut off.

msg

Dec 30, 2008, 9:02:06 PM12/30/08
Bob Campbell wrote:

<snip>

> Also, I find it fascinating that so many people here seem to be cheering
> the demise of HD. As HD goes, so goes radio. The fact that HD
> appears to be failing only reinforces the idea that there is no interest
> in radio at all. No one cares about HD because no one listens to
> commercial radio any more.

I find this proposition presented in this NG all too often and find it
arrogant and disgusting. Living in a smaller market, filled with folks
decidedly not in the coveted demographic, we for the most part support,
and appreciate our local AM and non-commercial radio stations and tolerate
the ever-changing FM cacophony; there is no crisis of profitability or
viability in our AM market and if it were threatened you can be sure of
a loud protest in halls of government from our citizens.

Michael

David Eduardo

Dec 30, 2008, 9:21:34 PM12/30/08

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

>> The DC AMs for the most part have little or zero ratings, with only 5
>> showing up in the Summer Arbitron book out of 26 total ams in the market.
>> Of
>> the 5 that showed, only one got over a 1 share in 12+, and none got over
>> a 2
>> share in 25-54, the "sales demo." 20 FMs got over a 1 share, though.
>>
>> News WTOP-FM alone had a 12+ share greater than the share of all the DC
>> FMs.
>
> Take a hike, 'Eduardo', as your fluff and fakery aren't playing well here
> in
> RRS, just as it doesn't in Peoria.

All data came from Arbitron. Anyone subscribed to the market can see the
same thing.

David Eduardo

Dec 30, 2008, 9:24:54 PM12/30/08

"msg" <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in message

AMs are dying, or starving for revenue, even in small markets. In general,
the smaller market FMs have better signals and have killed the rural
daytimers, Class IV's and such.

RHF

Dec 30, 2008, 9:44:21 PM12/30/08
On Dec 30, 5:03 pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in message

> > Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a dream
> > world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced by facts.
> > I would avoid those people myself.
>
> Indeed.  Since David is the *only* regular poster here who actually works in
> radio, I believe his postings and generally ignore everyone else's.  He has
> access to actual facts, not just anecdotes.

- Also, I find it fascinating that so many people here
- seem to be cheering the demise of HD.
- As HD goes, so goes radio.
- The fact that HD appears to be failing only reinforces
- the idea that there is no interest in radio at all.
- No one cares about HD because no one listens to
- commercial radio any more.
-
- Be careful what you wish for.

BC - Warning : relevation, Relevation. RELEVATION !

IBOC : The Failure of HD-Radio : Signifies The Death of Radio [.]

radio rip - i-pod 'u' not ~ RHF
.

Bob Campbell

Dec 30, 2008, 10:15:39 PM12/30/08
"Brenda Ann" <bre...@shinbiro.com> wrote in message

> The average person is simply happy with what they have, and uninterested
> in spending the money for a so called upgrade.

The average person IS happy - but he is NOT listening to radio these days.
One more generation of MP3 player listeners who grow up not listening to
radio *at all* will be the end of radio.

Personal anecdote. I have a 20 year old daughter in college. She is home
for Christmas vacation. She is *very* into her digital music collection.
She has *no* vinyl records/cassette tapes, very few CDs and never listens to
the radio, but she has tons of MP3s. She noticed I have 2 laptops and 2
"other things" on top of the entertainment center/bookshelf in the upstairs
family room. She asked "why do you have 2 laptops up there?" My answer
was that these were 2 of my AM radio stations - 800 AM and 630 AM. She
asked "What do you mean 800 AM? What is that?" I said "You know, AM
radio." I got a blank stare from her.

Nuff said.

Frankly, I hope that AM radio dies sooner rather than later. It will free
up more frequencies for me to "housecast" internet radio/MP3 players on. I
currently have about 10 AM transmitters, but I am only using 3 of them right
now due to lack of frequencies that don't interfere with each other.

RHF

Dec 30, 2008, 10:21:46 PM12/30/08

- Finally! It's over! LMFAO! SWEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

? LMFAO ?

(OT) : PONG - PocketRadio You Put The "F" in LM_AO ! ~ RHF

PR - Sadly everyone knows that in your 'special case' : The
"F" stands for "Farce" and not the more common F-Word.

PLEASE - Everyone GoTo : HD Radio "Farce" .Blog Spot
http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com
.Com and make PocketRadio's Day

PR - Say the initials for Blog Spot are "BS"
how very appropriate ~ RHF
.
Set News Reader Filters for :
(OT) = OT = Off-Topic
RHF
BoobleStubble
PocketRadio
PONG = Ping-Pong Game
IBOC
hdradio = HD Radio
farce = Farce
blogspot = Blog Spot
rfb
jimwilhelm
.

dxAce

Dec 31, 2008, 2:05:32 AM12/31/08

Bob Campbell wrote:

Somehow, someway, that sounds pretty "kooky".

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 8:14:30 AM12/31/08
No one listens because the content sucks. If they want listeners they
need to earn them.

HD is a waste of spectrum. It is a polished turd. It is lipstick on a
hockey mom.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 8:16:25 AM12/31/08
Thank-you. Just because giant public companies can't run radio at a
profit, there's no reason to write off the medium. Ma and Pa operations
can make money, if they provide a service.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 8:17:45 AM12/31/08

Arbitron is full of shit. Who cares if you have 50,000 listeners, if
they're all brain dead? 5,000 of the right kind of people are way more
salable.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 8:21:32 AM12/31/08
Bob Campbell wrote:
> "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in message
>> Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a
>> dream world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced
>> by facts. I would avoid those people myself.
>
> Indeed. Since David is the *only* regular poster here who actually
> works in radio, I believe his postings and generally ignore everyone
> else's. He has access to actual facts, not just anecdotes.

'Dwardo works in COMMERCIAL radio and lives in a bubble. Hell, he
admits to never having listened to radio stations with huge numbers,
apparently because they challenge his "lowest common denominator"
philosophy of broadcasting.

RHF

Dec 31, 2008, 8:22:03 AM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 7:15 pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> "Brenda Ann" <bren...@shinbiro.com> wrote in message

Radio Listening Transformed By TV and Changed By The Internet
* The TV allows the Radio Listener to Listen and See;
and Transforming Them from simply Listeners to Viewers
and Listeners and becoming Multi-Media Consumers.
* The Internet allows the Radio Listener a Greater Variety
of "Other" Audio Consumer 'Options' plus Visual Video
Options Too; and changed the way they "Think" about
At-Home Media and Personalized Entertainment.
eChat, eZines, eGroups, iPods, iMusic, iPhones, Blogs...

Daily and Nightly Radio Listening was the Primary At-Home
News and Entertainment Source and "Choice" from the 1920
through the 1950s.

By the 1960s TV had Transformer and replaced Radio as
the Primary At-Home News and Entertainment Source and
"Choice".

Add in More TV Channels and Cable TV and Satellite TV
Options with up to a Hundred or more Choices in the 1970s
and 1980s expanded the At-Home Entertainment Options;
often with Radio being a non-consideration.

Then the 1990s brought in the World Wide Web and the
Internet with a whole new level of At-Home Entertainment
Options; with Radio simply being forgotten.

Since the 1990s each new Generation Naturally
{Automatically} "Thinks" of Turning-On the Morning
News, Sports, Weather, and Traffic on the TV or
Checking their FAV Internet Web-Portal for the same
-but Not Radio.

It is only during the Morning Commute in their Cars
and Trucks that they can not Watch TV while Driving :
So AM&FM Radio becomes one 'option' in their minds;
and then mainly for the Traffic and Weather -but- They
have other Audio Entertainment Music 'options' too like
CDs, MP3s and iPods.

They may listen to Radio at work -but- Again they have
other Audio Entertainment Music 'options' too like CDs,
MP3s and iPods; plus their FAV Internet Web-Portal for
the same.

The Evening Commute is much like the Morning Commute
and listening to the Radio is just one option.

Since the 1970s each new Generation Naturally
{Automatically} "Thinks" of Turning-On the Evening
News on the TV not Radio.

Since the 1970s each new Generation Naturally
{Automatically} "Thinks" of Late Night Viewing of
the TV not listening to the Radio.

The new Generations have Big TV and Entertainment
Centers in their Living {Family} Rooms and Radio is
usually a forgotten element of it all.

The new Generations have a TV in every Bedroom and
an Alarm Clock with a built-in Radio which usually is
used for the Alarm and Clock features while the Radio
is a forgotten element.

The new Generations have a TV in their Kitchens; but
you may not find a Radio there anymore.

To the new Generations TV and now the Internet are
"Where-It's At" while Radio is so 'passe'.

FWIW - Each of 'you' Older-Generation Radio Listeners
are Reading this Message on the Internet
-and- That Ain't Radio Either.
-conclusion- YES WE HAVE CHANGED TOO ~ RHF
.
.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 9:19:43 AM12/31/08
RHF wrote:

> Radio Listening Transformed By TV and Changed By The Internet
> * The TV allows the Radio Listener to Listen and See;
> and Transforming Them from simply Listeners to Viewers
> and Listeners and becoming Multi-Media Consumers.
> * The Internet allows the Radio Listener a Greater Variety
> of "Other" Audio Consumer 'Options' plus Visual Video
> Options Too; and changed the way they "Think" about
> At-Home Media and Personalized Entertainment.
> eChat, eZines, eGroups, iPods, iMusic, iPhones, Blogs...

The BBC World Service is available via any medium you choose. TV is for
idiots.

David Eduardo

Dec 31, 2008, 11:53:04 AM12/31/08

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

The station you mention is one of the worst performing NPR stations in the
nation. In part, it is due to the horrible numbers for the music segments.

It's ranked around 30th in LA, only narrowly beating KPFK.

RHF

Dec 31, 2008, 12:18:09 PM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 8:53 am, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "Dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message
- It's ranked around 30th in LA, only narrowly beating KPFK.

KPFK = KP {Kitchen Patrol} F {Freaking} K {Crazy}
.
KPFA = KP {Kitchen Patrol} F {Freaking} A {Anarchy}
.
all part of "Pacifica Radio"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifica_Radio
.

msg

Dec 31, 2008, 1:03:48 PM12/31/08
Dave wrote:

FWIW, I have been impressed with the longevity and programming at WGPA (Lehigh
Valley PA -- I listen to the Internet stream) and cite it as a splendid example
of what AM can be. From some 'radio-info.com' forum posts:

> Joe's station may be a peanut whistle, but it's probably the last true
> example of what radio stations should be. It should serve the community's
> interests. Yes, people actually do like polka...yes, people really believe
> what Ron Angle says...yes they are members of the community that are served
> by WGPA...just like the droolers who listen to the same 20 songs over and over
> on the 5o Kw flamethrowers in town...for such a "crappy" station, it does get
> alot of attention here, doesn't it?

...and

> I was visiting family in the Lehigh Valley area over the last couple of days,
> and just out of curiosity stopped in and payed Joe a visit at WGPA. He gave
> me a very friendly welcome and a tour of the facility. It is really quite
> well equipped for a small station. Just like my station, WIOO in Carlisle,
> WGPA is still all live with local personalities and no automation. Gotta love
> that. We discussed where we can still get pads for our carts! WGPA has a new
> transmitter and processing and sounds technically very good and clean. Joe
> really does provide his community with something none of the conglomerates
> can offer. I wish him a long healthy life and his station continued success.

Michael

msg

Dec 31, 2008, 1:32:41 PM12/31/08
> Dave wrote:

<snip>

>> Thank-you. Just because giant public companies can't run radio at a
>> profit, there's no reason to write off the medium. Ma and Pa
>> operations can make money, if they provide a service.

I find it interesting that many posters to this NG are also posting
to 'radio-info.com' forums. Out of the pile of posts involving HD
on that site, here is a thread of some relevance to this thread:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,70934.0.html

Michael

Telamon

Dec 31, 2008, 5:02:51 PM12/31/08
In article <guednffLVYtiWcfU...@supernews.com>,
"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:

As technology HD blows. As a business model HD is a power grab.

I'm all for NEW, WORKABLE, DIGITAL technology that actually has payback
value for the consumer along with the broadcaster.

I'm for technology that has improved sound quality and quality of
service, which is not OWNED BY SOME SAD-SACK CONSORTIUM.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon

Dec 31, 2008, 5:05:05 PM12/31/08
In article <V5OdnWN1VeB8fsfU...@supernews.com>,
"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:

Don't worry Bob, she will grow up some day.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:50:04 PM12/31/08

Wow, Michael we're busted - LMFAO! Eduardo, you forgot to mention that
some of the stations in D.C. that sutdown were FM-HDs - LMFAO!

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:51:30 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 1:36�am, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> <rfb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <Interesting to note that iBiquity is just outside of Washington DC (in
> <Columbia, MD). �One can imagine CEO Struble and COO Jury pulling their
> <hair out.
>
> DC has the worst AMs, collectively, of any major US market. Not a one of
> them covers the entire market with a viable signal, and this is in part why
> that the whole band only has 6% of the radio listening... less than 3% under
> age 50. AM HD is useless on bad signals in large metros.

Some of the stations were also FM-HDs!

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:53:06 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 3:20�pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "Pocket-Radio" <scotter...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <me thinks, if these stations generated ratings or revenues they'd
> <still be on.
> <Either way it's really bad..so I wonder what market is next?
>
> The DC AMs for the most part have little or zero ratings, with only 5
> showing up in the Summer Arbitron book out of 26 total ams in the market. Of
> the 5 that showed, only one got over a 1 share in 12+, and none got over a 2
> share in 25-54, the "sales demo." �20 FMs got over a 1 share, though.
>
> News WTOP-FM alone had a 12+ share greater than the share of all the DC FMs.

Who cares - it has probably happened in other cities! Less money for
iBiquity and the start of the slow implosion of the crap technology!

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:54:21 PM12/31/08

I'de destroy radio, just to destroy HD/IBOC!

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:54:44 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 8:03�pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:

I love it!

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:55:54 PM12/31/08

Eduardo hates AM radio, because AM-HD has been a failure.

PocketRadio

Dec 31, 2008, 5:57:29 PM12/31/08
> daytimers, Class IV's and such.- Hide quoted text -

"News/Talk/Sports: Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while FMs
are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
radio."

http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

Many of the larger 50kw AMs are in the top-5, or #1 in their markets,
such as WLW. It's the music-oriented FMs that are slowly dying.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 6:33:00 PM12/31/08
David Eduardo wrote:

> The station you mention is one of the worst performing NPR stations in
> the nation. In part, it is due to the horrible numbers for the music
> segments.
>
> It's ranked around 30th in LA, only narrowly beating KPFK.

It splits NPR flagship programming with KPCC. Ranked 30th during
Morning Edition? Or some admittedly terrible (but they seem to serve an
audience, peaople give them money) music program?

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 6:34:07 PM12/31/08

Keep
People
From
Thinking

Kill
Poodles
For
Texas

David Eduardo

Dec 31, 2008, 9:45:56 PM12/31/08

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

WCRW is 39th in the December book, just a bit behind the web stream of COST.

It's 34th in morning drive.

KICK is 17th in the morning.

Dave

Dec 31, 2008, 10:45:53 PM12/31/08

Have you been drinking?

What is KCRW's highest rated program?

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 12:14:03 AM1/1/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

KPCC... the spell checker did this before I realized it... and then I was
late for dinner.

> Have you been drinking?

I don't drink, unlike some posters. Don't do drugs, either... even ones some
people we know think are mistakenly classified as illegal.

> What is KCRW's highest rated program?

6-10 AM, with a 1 share 12+. That ties it with KWVE, the religious FM from
San Clemente.

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 12:32:12 PM1/1/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>> What is KCRW's highest rated program?
>
> 6-10 AM, with a 1 share 12+. That ties it with KWVE, the religious FM
> from San Clemente.

So that indicates 1% of how many total?

Pocket-Radio

Jan 1, 2009, 12:39:59 PM1/1/09
On Dec 30 2008, 8:03 pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in message

> > Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a dream
> > world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced by facts.
> > I would avoid those people myself.
>
> Indeed.  Since David is the *only* regular poster here who actually works in
> radio, I believe his postings and generally ignore everyone else's.  He has
> access to actual facts, not just anecdotes.
>
> Also, I find it fascinating that so many people here seem to be cheering the
> demise of HD.   As HD goes, so goes radio.   The fact that HD appears to be
> failing only reinforces the idea that there is no interest in radio at all.
> No one cares about HD because no one listens to commercial radio any more.
>
> Be careful what you wish for.

Radio as we know it is dying. The industry still has their collective
heads in the sand.
While (cume) total listening remains strong, (TSL) time spent
listening continues to trend down. FM radio made the mistake of
becoming jukebox clones, and forgot they were still in the
entertainment business. Wall Street operators cheapened the product by
eliminating talented people and reducing the ones who remain to
glorified button pushers and voice trackers. Homogenized formats,
endless promos and playing 10 spots in a row hurt radio further. Say
what you want about satradio, but it came to be because enough people
grew tired of commercial radio's trash programming. Adults 35+ still
listen to radio. Adults 12-34 listen to radio when there is nothing
else. Advertisers are demanding accountability, a concept foreign to
most broadcasters. New media is growing in part because it addresses
their accountability needs. Before our recent world wide economic
meltdown, radio revenues have to been flat and trending down for
years. Traditional media dollars are shifting to the Internet.

Steve Jobs built a better jukebox, and like no time in history users
can carry 500 songs in the palm of their hands. Research points to
ipod fatigue and that users grow tired of managing their own playlist.
While that maybe true for some, for others it’s a small issue. The
research comes from well-funded groups with agendas, where asking the
right questions distorts the results, its not pure. PPM is turning
some well-believed ideals on its head. Radio's loyal audience, doesn't
exist, radio doesn't have exclusive cumes, listeners aren’t listening
for long time periods.

From station to station, market-to-market radio all sounds the same.
The trends are for more syndicated programming, and AM talk formats
moving to FM where traditional music once ruled.

Free music is everyplace today. Thanks to the Internet, DJ's are
becoming a dying breed because for the first time in history, users
can program their own playlist live, and share it with other
listeners. The concept of top down programming from the PD is old
school.

Growth of HD is slow and offers listeners more of the same jukebox
cloned formats found on FM radio. And in homes, you'll find 8 radios
that listeners are comfortable with how they sound and the various
formats. HD doesn't offer compelling reasons to upgrade.

The next generation has unplugged from radio. Sticking to old school
radio will kill HD. Radio of the future, will include the ability to
store music and capture digital streams. We live in a times-shifted
world where users can control and delete content. Give listeners the
ability to program their own music and content from their HD radio.

Radio's last hope is talent, where original content comes from writing
and research. Playing music, mass media style is dead, something the
next generation of listeners have no interest in.

The bloodiest battle is taking place on the dashboard. While radio
continues to defend the fortress, radio’s enemy is climbing the walls.
Expect within the next 5-10 years every dashboard will be Internet
enabled. Either free or paid wireless Internet access will be
commonplace. Radio’s current group of corrupt Wall Street leaders know
this to be true. And The NAB continues to play their lobbyist games,
wasting resources fighting satradio, which hasn’t worked. The future
won’t stop and technology is going to change how you and I receive
information. Radio lives in a world of denial afraid to make changes,
while clinging onto the past, afraid they’ll loose power and control.

Change is coming!

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 12:52:14 PM1/1/09
Pocket-Radio wrote:

> Radio's last hope is talent, where original content comes from writing
> and research. Playing music, mass media style is dead, something the
> next generation of listeners have no interest in.
>
> The bloodiest battle is taking place on the dashboard. While radio
> continues to defend the fortress, radio’s enemy is climbing the walls.
> Expect within the next 5-10 years every dashboard will be Internet
> enabled. Either free or paid wireless Internet access will be
> commonplace. Radio’s current group of corrupt Wall Street leaders know
> this to be true. And The NAB continues to play their lobbyist games,
> wasting resources fighting satradio, which hasn’t worked. The future
> won’t stop and technology is going to change how you and I receive
> information. Radio lives in a world of denial afraid to make changes,
> while clinging onto the past, afraid they’ll loose power and control.

Traditional radio programming lives-on regardless of the delivery
mechanism. Likewise, people will seek out compelling content.

Monty Hall

Jan 1, 2009, 1:16:24 PM1/1/09

> > Obviously, the people who wish to continue in denial or living in a
> > dream
> > world of self-invented fiction and fantasy will not be convinced by
> > facts.
> > I would avoid those people myself.
>
> Indeed. ?Since David is the *only* regular poster here who actually works
> in
> radio, I believe his postings and generally ignore everyone else's. ?He
> has
> access to actual facts, not just anecdotes.
>
> Also, I find it fascinating that so many people here seem to be cheering
> the
> demise of HD. ? As HD goes, so goes radio. ? The fact that HD appears to
> be
> failing only reinforces the idea that there is no interest in radio at
> all.
> No one cares about HD because no one listens to commercial radio any more.
>
> Be careful what you wish for.

> I'd destroy radio, just to destroy HD/IBOC!

Wow...I think you have some anger issues....all because you can't DX
anymore..

But considering your track record for predictions Gallant, I dont think HD
has anything to worry about.

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 2:47:28 PM1/1/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

1% of the average radio listenership during that time period.

RHF

Jan 1, 2009, 4:24:25 PM1/1/09

- I'de destroy radio, just to destroy HD/IBOC!

PocketRadio -proclaims- I'd Destroy Radio : Just To Destroy HD/IBOC !

'pr' - yeah i kind of figured that one out by now ~ RHF
.

RHF

Jan 1, 2009, 4:30:06 PM1/1/09
On Dec 31 2008, 5:17 am, Dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> David Eduardo wrote:
>
> > "dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

> >> Take a hike, 'Eduardo', as your fluff and fakery aren't playing well
> >> here in
> >> RRS, just as it doesn't in Peoria.
>
> > All data came from Arbitron. Anyone subscribed to the market can see the
> > same thing.
>
> Arbitron is full of shit.  Who cares if you have 50,000 listeners, if
> they're all brain dead?  5,000 of the right kind of people are way more
> salable.

Dave in America one Set-of-Ears is the equal of
another Set-of-Ears - Oops except if they are a
Pair of Over 50 Ears and then they are not salable.
~ RHF
.

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 4:53:00 PM1/1/09

> Traditional radio programming lives-on regardless of the delivery
> mechanism. Likewise, people will seek out compelling content.

Yes, but if it "lives on" in the form of Sat radio or internet radio, then
old style radio (particularly AM radio) has nowhere to go but down and out.

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 5:22:55 PM1/1/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message
>> David Eduardo wrote:

>>> 6-10 AM, with a 1 share 12+. That ties it with KWVE, the religious FM
>>> from San Clemente.
>>
>> So that indicates 1% of how many total?
>
> 1% of the average radio listenership during that time period.

That would be over 10,000 people?

PocketRadio

Jan 1, 2009, 5:29:16 PM1/1/09
> Change is coming!- Hide quoted text -

"The Bridge Ratings Report - The Impact of Wireless Internet"

"The availability of wireless Internet in-car poses a signficant
threat to traditional as well as satellite radio. This study projects
that the growth of Wi-Fi in-car should reach more than 50% of the U.S.
population after nine years of market availability."

http://www.bridgeratings.com/press_09.11.07-WiFi%20Impact.htm

"Chrysler announces wireless Internet access in 2009 models"

"As long predicted in this blog and elsewhere (okay, everywhere), it
is inevitable that every new car driving off a showroom lot will
eventually be high-speed Internet enabled. And the consequences for
the radio industry - both good and bad - are profound... Fourth, that
tiny whimper you just heard was the final gasp of HD Radio. Time to
move on to the real challenges, radio."

http://www.hear2.com/2008/06/chrysler-announ.html

Here! Here!

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 5:32:53 PM1/1/09
"PocketRadio" <sidwell...@aol.com> wrote in message

>"The Bridge Ratings Report - The Impact of Wireless Internet"
>
>"The availability of wireless Internet in-car poses a signficant
>threat to traditional as well as satellite radio. This study projects
>that the growth of Wi-Fi in-car should reach more than 50% of the U.S.
>population after nine years of market availability."
>
>http://www.bridgeratings.com/press_09.11.07-WiFi%20Impact.htm
>
>"Chrysler announces wireless Internet access in 2009 models"

LOL. The only question is, will Chrysler still be around in 9 years?

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 1, 2009, 6:02:25 PM1/1/09
I have a better Idea.Shut D.C.down Forever.I have to watch It Happened
One Night movie on the TCM channel right now.A big loud ass Helicopter
just now flew over doggy's couch.
cuhulin

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 1, 2009, 7:25:50 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 5:32 pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> "PocketRadio" <sidwellfrie...@aol.com> wrote in message

LOL. Will you be around in 9 years?

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 7:43:58 PM1/1/09

>> >"Chrysler announces wireless Internet access in 2009 models"
>>
>> LOL. The only question is, will Chrysler still be around in 9 years?
>
> LOL. Will you be around in 9 years?

LOL. Yes.

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 7:44:45 PM1/1/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

13,400 for the December ratings book. Compared to, let's say, KIIS, with
84,000. Or 52,000 for Class A KRCD.

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 7:48:15 PM1/1/09

"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote in message

Not only that, but the average US car is 8 years old, and sales of new cars
is waaaaaaaay down. It would take 8 to 10 years to get 50% WiMax penetration
if every car, starting today, were WiMax enabled. The only problem is that
there is no real standard or universal, nationwide provider yet. So there
will be several years of infrastructure "fallout" before wide range WiMax
will work... even more if the government becomes involved.

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 8:21:50 PM1/1/09

> Not only that, but the average US car is 8 years old, and sales of new
> cars is waaaaaaaay down. It would take 8 to 10 years to get 50% WiMax
> penetration if every car, starting today, were WiMax enabled. The only
> problem is that there is no real standard or universal, nationwide
> provider yet. So there will be several years of infrastructure "fallout"
> before wide range WiMax will work... even more if the government becomes
> involved.

Not only *that*, but as you noted earlier, overall not much radio listening
actually happens in the car. Although for some people it is probably the
*only* time (morning/afternoon drive time).

But as you noted above, until there is widely available WiMax (or whatever),
"internet enabled cars" aren't going to make much difference. People will
still be plugging their MP3 players into the car radio, using one of the
three common methods (cassette player, FM transmitter or direct AUX plugin).

And unless the WiMax (or whatever) is absolutely rock solid with no
fading/distortion/breakup from the moving car, then it will never amount to
anything. People are used to music with digital clarity, and nothing else
will suffice.

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 8:37:47 PM1/1/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message
>> David Eduardo wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>>> 1% of the average radio listenership during that time period.
>>
>> That would be over 10,000 people?
>
> 13,400 for the December ratings book. Compared to, let's say, KIIS, with
> 84,000. Or 52,000 for Class A KRCD.

13,400 for the most part upscale listeners. What is the TSL for KCRW vs
KIIS?

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 8:38:20 PM1/1/09

I can get 3G in my car right now.

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 8:56:46 PM1/1/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Comparing a CHR, which forces high cume by playing only a few hit songs with
a long form, mostly talk, station is absurd.

KIIS is second among adult listeners with incomes above the US median; KCRW
is 11th.

David Eduardo

Jan 1, 2009, 9:04:21 PM1/1/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

3G is a cell phone technology, not a web technology. How much do you think
ATT would charge to use their 3G net in your car for, let's say, two hours a
day of high bandwidth requiring audio? Think of it as cable TV where one
wire leaves the head end for each subscriber.

With 3G, you are using a channel just for yourself. With WiMax you can be
one of millions using a local network of WiMax sites, all "tuning in" to the
same WiMax source. Think of it as one wire leaving a site with everyone
tapping in wherever they are.

msg

Jan 1, 2009, 10:59:18 PM1/1/09
David Eduardo wrote:

<snip>

> With 3G, you are using a channel just for yourself. With WiMax you can
> be one of millions using a local network of WiMax sites, all "tuning in"
> to the same WiMax source. Think of it as one wire leaving a site with
> everyone tapping in wherever they are.

Unless multimedia is delivered to subscribers using some form of multicast
protocol, I can't imagine WiMax having sufficient capacity for all of the
portable devices envisioned. Very few multimedia providers at present
stream over multicast, probably due to the spotty availability of the
multicast backbone. I can picture however an MBONE style of virtual
multicast network just for these wireless devices; does anyone have some
intel on what is being planned?

Michael

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 1, 2009, 11:26:24 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 7:43 pm, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> <jimwilh...@labs.net> wrote in message

LOL. Pretty sure of yourself - aren't you.

Bob Campbell

Jan 2, 2009, 8:04:39 AM1/2/09

> LOL. Pretty sure of yourself - aren't you.

LOL. Yes

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 8:33:05 AM1/2/09
David Eduardo wrote:

>>> 13,400 for the December ratings book. Compared to, let's say, KIIS,
>>> with 84,000. Or 52,000 for Class A KRCD.
>>
>> 13,400 for the most part upscale listeners. What is the TSL for KCRW
>> vs KIIS?
>
> Comparing a CHR, which forces high cume by playing only a few hit songs
> with a long form, mostly talk, station is absurd.
>
> KIIS is second among adult listeners with incomes above the US median;
> KCRW is 11th.

Absurd is the operative term here. KIIS plays shitty music for
brain-dead zombies, KCRW serves intellectuals with in-depth news, public
affairs, cultural programming, and yes, a lot of music in between.

Next question:

Which station would you pick if you could only listen to one or the other?

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 8:36:22 AM1/2/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>> I can get 3G in my car right now.
>
> 3G is a cell phone technology, not a web technology. How much do you
> think ATT would charge to use their 3G net in your car for, let's say,
> two hours a day of high bandwidth requiring audio? Think of it as cable
> TV where one wire leaves the head end for each subscriber.
>
> With 3G, you are using a channel just for yourself. With WiMax you can
> be one of millions using a local network of WiMax sites, all "tuning in"
> to the same WiMax source. Think of it as one wire leaving a site with
> everyone tapping in wherever they are.

I get 5,000,000,000 Bytes per month for $60, that is quite sufficient
for listening to 128 kb/s MP3, all day long. I have a Franklin dongle
for 3G broadband. There is no telephone attached.

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 2, 2009, 5:41:22 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 8:04 am, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> <jimwilh...@labs.net> wrote in message

> > LOL. Pretty sure of yourself - aren't you.
>
> LOL. Yes

Well, I have a little inside information that says you're not. Sorry.

Bob Campbell

Jan 2, 2009, 5:43:36 PM1/2/09

> Well, I have a little inside information that says you're not. Sorry.

Your source is wrong. Sorry.