ebay: devocom73 and dx-398's

Conan Ford

Feb 11, 2005, 4:46:50 PM2/11/05
Anyone else notice this seller who was selling a total of eight DX-398's,
all miraculously new and in mint condition, in box?

First thing that got me wondering what was why anyone would have nine of
these radios, The reason of "I am gradually quitting my radio collecting
hobby to pursue my other passion in life which is vintage cars and trucks.
Doing so is taking up all my free time which leaves me with no time with my
radios anymore so all 8 of these Radio Shack units MUST GO NOW!!!" sounded
rather bogus. Collecting eight identical radios and letting them sitting
around is a hobby now? I suspect something else like customer returns that
were liquidated at a high discount. The radios might be new and appear
mint in appearance, but I bet something is wrong with them.

In addition, the seller uses a lot of private auctions. This leads me to
think that something funny must have happened in the past. For reference,
another user who uses many private auctions is radio-mart. Note a recent
feedback comment, "NICE PACKING&SHIPPING JUST CAN'T GET THE RADIO TO WORK
alan."

Another thing was, I emailed the seller asking for a picture of the radio
on and tuned into a station. I suggested WWV(H). The seller angrily
retorted that the radios simply "worked." The degree of functionality was
not stated. I think this is a reasonable request for an E-bay auction--the
single blurry picture provided, of just one of the eight original units,
with just the clock functioning is not adequate. I've heard of radios that
were broken except for the clock before.

Anyways, I'm steering clear for these reasons. If I was new to this
newsgroup and to shortwave radios, I might have bit.

Jim Douglas

Feb 11, 2005, 6:14:09 PM2/11/05
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15051&item=5749557980&rd=1

Right like a guy will collect (8) of the same radios!!! I sold mine that was
new a while back for $135.00
with all documentation, box, etc. This guy wants $205.00 BuyItNow, WTF?

"Conan Ford" <cona...@com.hotmail> wrote in message

RHF

Feb 11, 2005, 11:02:18 PM2/11/05
CF & JD,
.
FWIW - A "New-in-the-Box" Sangean ATS-909 {RadioShack DX-398}
sells for $220 on Amazon.Com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000228GG/104-7651851-7542315

.
The Shortwave Store has the Sangean ATS-909 for $240
http://usa.shortwavestore.com/sangean-ats909.html#order
.
C. Crane Co has the Sangean ATS-909 for $260
http://www.ccrane.com/sangean-ats909-shortwave-radio.aspx
.
Universal-Radio.Com has the Sangean ATS-909 for $240
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/1909.html
.
USA Scan.Com has the Sangean ATS-909 for $250
http://www.usascan.com/files/ats909.html
.
Grove-Enterprise.Com has the Sangean ATS-909 for $240
http://www.grove-ent.com/ATS909.html
RadioLabs has the Sangean ATS-909 for $250
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/receivers/ats909.php
.
What he is trying to do is offer these older "?" Discontinued and
Out-of-Stock RadioShack DX-398s at a slightly lower Price-Point.
.
PRICE - From the Buyers Prespective the Price-Point should be about 70%

of the Average OnLine Discount Price {$245} roughly $170 for these "?"
Questionable New-in-the-Box Radios.
.
New & Mint Radio Shack DX-398 AM/FM LW Shortwave Radio
sold by "DevoCom73" on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5749557980
So a Starting Bid of $165 plus $15 for Shipping and Handling
is not bad: But I would NOT Bid any more than that [.]
.
REVIEWS - Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack DX-398 Radio
.
The Sangean ATS909 Reviewed - by Neil Clark
http://www.dxradio.co.uk/sangean/ats909.html
.
Radio Netherlands Review of the Sangean ATS909
http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/media/productreviews/receivers/ats909.html

.
eHAM Owners Reviews of the Sangean ATS909
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/542
.
Strong Signals - Sangean ATS909 Specifications
http://www.strongsignals.net/access/content/rr_ats-909.html
.
RigPix Data Base - Sangean ATS909 Details
http://www.rigpix.com/miscrx/sangean_ats909.htm
.
What is "The Best" Shortwave Travel Portable with Single Sideband
Reception?
. . . The Endless Debate . . . by Russ K3PI
Sangean ATS-909 -v- Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE -v- Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm
.
The Sangean ATS909 "Owner's Manual" in PDF File Format
http://www.ccrane.com/knowledgebase/Downloads/Sangean_909_Manual.pdf
.
Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack DX-398
Audio and Tuning Knob Upgrade - by Kiwa
http://www.kiwa.com/ATS909.html
.
RadioLabs "Super" 909 Receiver a highly modified Sangean ATS-909
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/receivers/super909.php
.
Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack DX-398
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - by Dave Moisan, N1KGH
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/sangean/ats909faq.html
.
Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack DX-398 eGroup on YAHOO !
[ For the RadioShack DX-398 and Sangean ATS-909 ]
* http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/

MORE ABOUT - The Sangean ATS-909 and RadioShack DX-398
'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio / Receiver
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/64e677f0485110a3

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/952aaad971aa2c2f

.
yes - more than you wanted to know ~ RHF
.
.