The Armed Forces Radio Revolution - Chages at the American Forces Network (or AFN) and American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS)

RHF

Jun 6, 2006, 5:40:28 AM6/6/06
The Armed Forces Radio Revolution
- Chages at the American Forces Network (or AFN)
and American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS)
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmoral/articles/20060605.aspx

June 5, 2006: Since World War II, the U.S. Armed Forces Radio (AFR) has
broadcast to the troops, no matter where they are. But declining
ratings, caused by iPods and changing tastes, has resulted in massive
changes in what will be heard.

Also gone is most of the talk radio (NPR, as well as more conservative
shows). Talk just never caught on big with the troops, and many were
turned off by the strident anti-war attitudes found on many NPR shows.

ABOUT - American Forces Network (or AFN)
and American Forces Radio and Television Service
(AFRTS) Shortwave Broadcasting
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/302d1379c26799f4

the times there are a changing ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Stephanie Weil

Jun 6, 2006, 4:35:18 PM6/6/06

RHF wrote:

> June 5, 2006: Since World War II, the U.S. Armed Forces Radio (AFR) has
> broadcast to the troops, no matter where they are. But declining
> ratings, caused by iPods and changing tastes, has resulted in massive
> changes in what will be heard.

The damned I-Pods sound better than AFRTS's product. At least the
Korean AFN-Korea stations!!!

The AFRTS station in Anjong-Ri (Camp Humphries) on 1440 AM sounds all
overmodulated. It's still listenable on better-quality radios, but
only just.

The FM station on 88.3 is worse - it sounds like a buzz-saw. And no,
it's got nothing to do with the hard-rock that they play. ;)

Who the hell can listen to that tripe for a prolonged period of time.
It hurts the skull.

> Also gone is most of the talk radio (NPR, as well as more conservative
> shows). Talk just never caught on big with the troops, and many were
> turned off by the strident anti-war attitudes found on many NPR shows.

The last thing you want to hear after a long day of shooting at
unknown people is some loud-mouth back home sitting in his
air-conditioned studio and talking bull through a tin-horn.

Varied music, with periodic HONEST news updates and balanced commentary
is the best way to go, in my opinion. Of course, don't neglect the
sports events. :)

I wonder what's going to happen to the Uninterrupted Voice Channel
that's broadcast on SSB Shortwave. Figures that as soon as I
contemplate a portable SSB radio, they'll probably take it off the air.
:(

RHF

Jun 6, 2006, 5:02:20 PM6/6/06
SW - Talking Bull through a Tin-Horn ! :o)

now there is a phrase to remember for future use ~ RHF
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2006, 6:32:23 PM6/6/06
U.S.Troops want the kind of music they want.Most of our Troops are not
interested in talk radio.They need Music to lighten up with once in a
while.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2006, 6:38:27 PM6/6/06
Bull to a Tin Horn? That stupid AIG insurance commercial on tv.
cuhulin

David

Jun 6, 2006, 8:21:37 PM6/6/06

They want Hip Hop and Heavy Metal, like all normal red blooded
Americans.

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2006, 8:32:15 PM6/6/06
They want,MUSIC.May I reference y'all to Armed Forces Radio,ala Vietnam
1964.We didn't (I was there) give a s..t about talk radio.I was too busy
(aside from my regular job of humpin ammo) humpin them Vietnamese gals.I
was only 22 years old at the time.What the H..l did I care?
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2006, 8:37:40 PM6/6/06
www.tsna.org Monthly Photo.
cuhulin

mi...@sushi.com

Jun 6, 2006, 10:54:16 PM6/6/06

Stephanie Weil wrote:
> RHF wrote:
> >
> > June 5, 2006: Since World War II, the U.S. Armed Forces Radio (AFR) has
> > broadcast to the troops, no matter where they are. But declining
> > ratings, caused by iPods and changing tastes, has resulted in massive
> > changes in what will be heard.
>
> The damned I-Pods sound better than AFRTS's product. At least the
> Korean AFN-Korea stations!!!
>
> The AFRTS station in Anjong-Ri (Camp Humphries) on 1440 AM sounds all
> overmodulated. It's still listenable on better-quality radios, but
> only just.
>
> The FM station on 88.3 is worse - it sounds like a buzz-saw. And no,
> it's got nothing to do with the hard-rock that they play. ;)
>
> Who the hell can listen to that tripe for a prolonged period of time.
> It hurts the skull.
>
> > Also gone is most of the talk radio (NPR, as well as more conservative
> > shows). Talk just never caught on big with the troops, and many were
> > turned off by the strident anti-war attitudes found on many NPR shows.
>
> The last thing you want to hear after a long day of shooting at
> unknown people is some loud-mouth back home sitting in his
> air-conditioned studio and talking bull through a tin-horn.

You clearly don't listen to NPR. Not only is it fair and balanced, but
they treat the war dead with respect.

The AFN shortwave sounds very good. As I've mentioned before, the
sideband sounds to me like it is wider than your run of the mill
communication sideband. I generally use a 4Khz filter on AFN.

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 12:24:34 AM6/7/06
I wouldn't have an iPod even if you gave me one for free.I just dont
like them stupid lookin iPod C... Suckers!
cuhulin

mi...@sushi.com

Jun 7, 2006, 2:44:37 AM6/7/06

Yeah, well talk radio used to be just fine when all they heard was
Limbaugh. Now that there is equal time, the brass doesn't want any talk
radio if there is balance.

RHF

Jun 7, 2006, 3:24:53 AM6/7/06
Miso,

"and many were turned off by the strident anti-war
attitudes found on many NPR shows."

- - - This Is Not My Opinion - - -
And I do in-fact Listen to NPR and think for the most
part that it is reasonably balanced.

Here is My Opinion - Often NPR comes across as
being Tilted to the Left. Frequently as I Listen to an
NPR Program the Guest Panel would have three
members - two liberals and one moderate -vice- a
more Balance Panel of a Liberal + a Moderate +
a Conservative. {my opinion ~ RHF}

Think About the Military Service Member
the Target Listener of AFN and AFRTS :
I can see that anyone in the Military who is out-there
actually fighting the War-on-Terror would be sensitive
to anything 'anti-war' and thus anything that was 'anti'
whatever they were personally doing.

Reporting-the-Facts :
What the reporter wrote -one assumes- is what he
heard from Members of the Military In-Country who
'feel' NPR has more positive Anti-War Air Time then
it has Pro-War-on-Terror Air Time. NPR via AFN
and AFRTS should Speak-to-the-Troops and not
Lecture them about the In-Justice of their Service
and the Wrongness of their Fight in the War-on-Terror.

The Role of VOA is "NOT" to be a Propaganda Tool of
the US Government to the American People -but- To Get
America's Message Out to the Peoples of the World .

The Role of AFN & AFTRS "IS" to be a Propaganda Tool
of the US Government to the American Military Services
and to help Maintain and Improve Troop Moral and the
Fighting Readiness of the American Military.

so say i - my opinions stated as facts ~ RHF
.
.
. .

David

Jun 7, 2006, 9:14:53 AM6/7/06

Stephanie Weil

Jun 7, 2006, 12:55:02 PM6/7/06

mi...@sushi.com wrote:

> You clearly don't listen to NPR. Not only is it fair and balanced, but
> they treat the war dead with respect.

I do listen to NPR quite a bit. Actually my "spouting bull into a
tin-horn" wasn't in reference to the NPR shows that are rebroadcast
over AFRTS.

It was more in reference to the conservative windbags like Ol' Rushbo
and Laura Sleazeinger, whose shows are carried on AFRTS. "Honest news"
was a nod to NPR, as a matter of fact. Apoligies if you misread.

> The AFN shortwave sounds very good. As I've mentioned before, the
> sideband sounds to me like it is wider than your run of the mill
> communication sideband. I generally use a 4Khz filter on AFN.

Hopefully I'll get to hear it soon. Some of the shows I'm looking at
on the run-down sound like stuff I'd like to listen to - and what's
better than to have them all on ONE station? :)

--
Steph

RHF

Jun 7, 2006, 1:34:44 PM6/7/06
David,

Please take two Aspirins and lay down and Rest.

Why ? - You gave NewsMax as a Source ! :o) ~ RHF

READ - U.S. Military Stations (AFN & AFTRS) around the world
could soon be playing more hip-hop and rock and cutting back on
country music, sports and talk shows.
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/6/5/101045.shtml
The most significant change would be creating Two Music Stations
for World Wide Broadcast. One would feature mostly Hip-Hop, Rap
and Pop Music, and the 'other' would play Classic Rock, Alternative
Bands and a mix of Top 40 Selections.
- - - So are we to conclude that Country Music is to be Out-Lawed ?
Why not have One have One Classic Country Hit and One Top Ten
Country Hit per Hour on the second 'other' Radio Channel ?

Here is a more Detailed Report on the Story
-from- "Stars-and-Stripes" -by- Leo Shane III
http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36735&archive=true
Future Military Radio Menu could be more Pop,
less Talk - Hip-Hop heavy content recommended
for Stations around the World

Seems like the US Military has two target Listener
Groups : All those 34-Years Old and Under and All
those 34-Years Old and over. Will both groups be
served with programming that Entertains them and
Informs them ?

the more you know - the more you know ~ RHF
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 1:36:32 PM6/7/06
Me leetle shirt pocket transistor,in Vietnam in 1964,most of the time,I
tuned in Vietnamese music.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 1:37:44 PM6/7/06
npr SUCKS.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 1:44:46 PM6/7/06
I need to go to my bathroom.My new snail mail issue of Popular Mechanics
magazine for July 2006 showed up in my snail mail box by the side of the
road this morning.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 1:41:05 PM6/7/06
They never asked me,in Vietnam,what I thought.I probally would have gave
them a dumb look anyway and said something like,Huh!,I dont know,I am
just here.
cuhulin

RHF

Jun 7, 2006, 2:03:45 PM6/7/06
The Other Side of the Story - The Armed Forces Radio Revolution
- Changes at AFN and AFRTS
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060606/content/america_s_anchorman.guest.html

Rush Limbaugh's Ratings Huge on Armed Forces Radio
-by- Rush Limbaugh
- On-the-Air Radio Program Transcript - Dated - 6 June 2006
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060606/content/america_s_anchorman.guest.html

* Here are the Numbers. In terms of Percentage, the Total
Audience for this Program in Armed Forces Radio is 24.9%
-- 25%! That's a Percentage of everybody in the Military
Listening to this Program. That is huge, folks. That is a
larger Rating than we have in this Country. That is huge.

* In the 18- to 34-year-old group, the percentage is 17.8%,
which is larger than any Radio Program in this Country
has over this Country's Population.

* The 35-plus Demographic is 35.2%.

* These Numbers are just a gnat's eyelash behind NPR.

* Let me tell you what this is really all about. In order of
Listenership on Armed Forces Radio, according to Lund,
is NPR and me -- we're Statistical tied --

* Down here at the very end where you can barely register
any Listenership is "Air America"

* Let me tell you what this is all about. This is all about
getting this Program Off of Armed Forces Radio because
the Liberals that they put on there the last six months
are not registering.

* So they got liberal talk radio on there, and just as in this
Country where nobody is listening to it, nobody in the Armed
Forces is Listening to it, either!

* They've got Audience figures that do not justify continuing
coverage of the Liberal Talk Shows on Armed Forces Radio.

* Armed Forces Radio does four or five hours of NPR all day,
maybe even more.

* Yet in one hour of My Program, we have almost as much
Listenership on the Armed Forces Radio Network as NPR
gets in four, five or six hours.

* AFN can't justify all these pathetic Liberal so-called Radio
Programs

SOURCE => http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/

afn listen-up - can you feel the rush ? ~ RHF
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 2:12:38 PM6/7/06
There is only a small percentage of Troops listening to Armed Forces
Radio at any one time.That isn't huge.And rush Oxycontin limbaugh is
full of Oxycontin.By the way,I quit listening to that Moron Oxycontin
rush limbaugh about a month after his overloaded Oxycontin self first
came on the air.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2006, 2:20:43 PM6/7/06
rush OXYCONTIN limbaugh.He sure does look like a FOOL too.I bet he
really lives a MISERABLE life too.Glad I am not him.
cuhulin

David

Jun 7, 2006, 6:54:41 PM6/7/06
On 7 Jun 2006 10:34:44 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>David,
>
>Please take two Aspirins and lay down and Rest.
>
>Why ? - You gave NewsMax as a Source ! :o) ~ RHF
>

>Future Military Radio Menu could be more Pop,

>less Talk - Hip-Hop heavy content recommended
>for Stations around the World

Trust me. They want Slayer and NWA type stuff.

No Pop. No Country. No Pill Poppin' Talk Radio.

Start

Jun 7, 2006, 8:52:14 PM6/7/06
In article <2560-448...@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net>,
cuh...@webtv.net wrote:

> There is only a small percentage of Troops listening to Armed Forces
> Radio at any one time.That isn't huge.And rush Oxycontin limbaugh is
> full of Oxycontin

Drug-addled freak.

No wonder 90 percent of troops actually think Iraq attacked NYC on 9/11.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

RHF

Jun 8, 2006, 3:26:51 AM6/8/06
David - It is clear that you have your finger on
the pulse of the under 30 enlisted man. ~ RHF
.
.
. .

merlian

Jun 8, 2006, 9:41:57 AM6/8/06

GOOD MOOOOOORNIN VIETNAM !

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 8, 2006, 1:04:17 PM6/8/06
After my year (1964) in Vietnam was over,an Officer handed out some
Vietnam Medals to us lean mean fighting machines.We was sitting in the
Tan Son Nhut Airport restaurant and I remember beating the heck out of
that hard lump of sugar in the sugar bowl,trying to get some sugar for
my coffee.Then we got on an U.S.Air Force Jet (the seats face backwards)
and I said,Bye Bye,Vietnam.

Pan (Am Blue Ball) Airplanes (I went to Vietnam on a Pan Am Jet) had
been banned from Tan Son Nhut by then because of Vietcong attacks on Tan
Son Nhut.

google,Move them off the Base! Tan Son Nhut
cuhulin

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 9, 2006, 1:33:17 AM6/9/06
RHF wrote:

> So are we to conclude that Country Music is to be Out-Lawed ?
> Why not have One have One Classic Country Hit and One Top Ten
> Country Hit per Hour on the second 'other' Radio Channel ?

Country music only got two hours a week airtime in 1973/1974 on the
Alaskan Forces Radio Network, early sunday mornings on the Ft. Greely
station where I worked. It was a network feed, and what little local
airtime we were allowed replaced a network feed of rock with local rock.
:(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Brenda Ann

Jun 9, 2006, 5:20:04 AM6/9/06

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> RHF wrote:
>>
>> So are we to conclude that Country Music is to be Out-Lawed ?
>> Why not have One have One Classic Country Hit and One Top Ten
>> Country Hit per Hour on the second 'other' Radio Channel ?
>

> Country music only got two hours a week airtime in 1973/1974 on the
> Alaskan Forces Radio Network, early sunday mornings on the Ft. Greely
> station where I worked. It was a network feed, and what little local
> airtime we were allowed replaced a network feed of rock with local rock.
> :(

Currently, we get (C)rap and gar(b)age bands on our AFN-Korea FM (Eagle FM)
outlets. We also get (as of today, who knows later on) on the AM (Thunder
AM) outlets:

5-7 AM All Things Considered (NPR)
7AM- Noon Oldies
Noon- 1PM News hour (AF News, network news, Paul Harvey, etc.)
1-2 PM Dr. Laura
2-4 PM Country
4-6 PM Oldies
6-7 PM Sports Overnight America
7-8 PM Rush Limbaugh
8-9 PM Ed Schultz
9-12 PM NPR
12-5 AM Who knows... I'm asleep...

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 9, 2006, 12:19:05 PM6/9/06
Brenda Ann wrote:

> Currently, we get (C)rap and gar(b)age bands on our AFN-Korea FM (Eagle FM)
> outlets. We also get (as of today, who knows later on) on the AM (Thunder
> AM) outlets:
>
> 5-7 AM All Things Considered (NPR)
> 7AM- Noon Oldies
> Noon- 1PM News hour (AF News, network news, Paul Harvey, etc.)
> 1-2 PM Dr. Laura
> 2-4 PM Country
> 4-6 PM Oldies
> 6-7 PM Sports Overnight America
> 7-8 PM Rush Limbaugh
> 8-9 PM Ed Schultz
> 9-12 PM NPR
> 12-5 AM Who knows... I'm asleep...

12-5 AM is when they aired the country music, on Sunday mornings,
followed by a bunch of different special interest programing in half
hour or hour blocks, till they went back to Rock around noon.

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2006, 12:43:14 PM6/9/06
Tin Pan Alley Music and Bluegrass Music and Country Music and Oldies
(Oldies,from the 1950's and and 1940's and on back (Jackson has some
Bluegrass Music and Country Music radio stations) are my favorites as
far as U.S.style of Music is concerned.My real favorites are Ireland and
Scotland Music.Actually,U.S.style of Country Music originated from Irish
Music.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2006, 1:13:18 PM6/9/06
www.devilfinder.com taskforceomegainc

(Task Force Omega,Inc)
cuhulin

David

Jun 9, 2006, 6:45:58 PM6/9/06

Irish music is largely Arabic.

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2006, 8:37:45 PM6/9/06
The Bell South (Julie) woman next door is using my lawn mower to mow her
yard because the priming bulb on her lawn mower is cracked and doesn't
work.She will be moving back to her home area of Natchez real soon,she
got a transfer to the Bell South central office in
Vidalia,Louisiana.(Vidalia is just across the Mississippi River from
Natchez)

Her Bell South land line got cut off today because the other woman
(Vanessa) next door,her boyfriend didn't give her (Vanessa) enough money
to pay the phone bill.There is another woman (Ella) whom is going to
college,(lawyer classes,she is going to be a lawyer) and she will be
moving in the house next door to me with Vanessa.

What a Hoot!,Bell South technician woman next door and her Bell South
land line got cut off.She said I looked like I was enjoying that too
much :()
cuhulin

RHF

Jun 9, 2006, 10:17:53 PM6/9/06
DaviD informs us that "Irish music is largely Arabic"

what would we do without you david ~ RHF
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2006, 10:39:46 PM6/9/06
Celtic. www.celticfestms.org

Who would know better than I?
cuhulin

David

Jun 9, 2006, 11:33:52 PM6/9/06

Friggin' Tobacco Road...

David

Jun 9, 2006, 11:34:53 PM6/9/06
On 9 Jun 2006 19:17:53 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>DaviD informs us that "Irish music is largely Arabic"
>
>what would we do without you david ~ RHF
> .
> .

Funny; you don't look Moorish...

cuh...@webtv.net

Jun 10, 2006, 12:52:27 AM6/10/06
The woman whom is going to lawyer school is 24 years old and boy
howdy,is she pretty!
cuhulin

Stephanie Weil

Jun 10, 2006, 11:11:10 PM6/10/06

Brenda Ann wrote:
> 12-5 AM Who knows... I'm asleep...

I believe it's still country music.....from what little I listened on
the overnights. Damned sound quality is piss-ass nasty.

--
steph