Indoor Anjtenna

dt

May 21, 2007, 4:12:23 PM5/21/07
What is the best indoor SWL antenna I can get?

boomer

Telamon

May 21, 2007, 9:53:26 PM5/21/07
In article <b2n4i.58$FN5...@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
"dt" <dtboomer,,,@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best indoor SWL antenna I can get?

A shielded loop.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

May 22, 2007, 4:09:57 AM5/22/07
On May 21, 1:12 pm, "dt" <dtboomer,,,@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best indoor SWL antenna I can get?
>
> boomer

DT {Boomer},

For a 'basic' Shortwave Listening (SWL) Indoor Antenna
to use with most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios :
I would Recommend the Sony AN-LP1 Shortwave Active
Antenna placed on a Window near the Radio. ~ RHF

The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna is by-design
designed specifically for the "Metered" Shortwave Bands
{ Tune a Shortwave Band and Set It and Forget It ! - Simple ;-}
SONY AN-LP1 ANTENNA => http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/lp1.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html
DESIGN => http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676clos.jpg
PLACEMENT => http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676win.jpg
SEE - Sony AN-LP1 Antenna Manual - Figure "D" and Instructions
http://www.owdjim.gen.nz/chris/radio/an_lp1_service_manual.pdf
TUNING => http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676pre.jpg
With One Shortwave (SW) Band per setting for :
SW Band and Knob Setting
75m = 4 MHz
60m = 5 MHz
49m = 6 MHz
41m = 7 MHz
31m = 10 MHz
25m = 12 MHz
22m = 14 MHz
Then Two Shortwave (SW) Bands per setting for :
19m & 16m = 16 MHz
15m & 13m = 20 MHz
As noted the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
performs very well between the
75 to 22 Metered Shortwave Listening (SWL) Bands
with some fall-off in performance between the
19 to 13 Shortwave Listening (SWL) Meters Bands.
.
NOTE - The Sony AN-LP1 'portable' Active Shortwave Antenna
is for the Shortwave Bands "Only" and covers 3.85 MHz to
21.95 MHz. [ NOT the AM/MW and FM Radio Bands ]
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676pre.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676clos.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676win.jpg
.
READ - Three 'different' Radio Bands AM - FM - Shortwave
and two to three 'different' Antennas . . .
.
Want Something Bigger ? - Then Build Your Own In-Door
"Low Noise" Shortwave Listener (SWL) Loop Antenna
for use with your 'portable' Radios.
.
Build Your Very Own Slinky Window Loop Antenna :
Try a 'simple' Mini-Slinky on a Hula Hoop Antenna
placed on/in an outside facing Window.
- Four In-Door "Mini-Slinky" Antennas
.
TIP - For a Travel 'portable' Shortwave Antenna to use with
a quality Travel 'size' Radio like the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio the Sony AN-LP1
'portable' Active Shortwave Loop Antenna :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/345c971239f71d3e
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a715bd4097ebdbab
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/fb71f5107eef0b02
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2bac24735bdffee3
" Is-A-Winning-Combination ! " - IMHO ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
??? ??????? ! - - - ?????? ?????????
?? ?????? ???????????????? ?????????
Radio ??? A????? SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

Roadie

May 22, 2007, 7:54:44 AM5/22/07
On May 21, 4:12 pm, "dt" <dtboomer,,,@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best indoor SWL antenna I can get?
>
> boomer

I don't really know which is the best indoor antenna. The Sony ANLP1
sells for around $100.00 and has been used successfully by several
SWL's. But if the best is what you have in mind there is a german
company that makes one for several hundred dollars.

I've had very good results with a window antenna. It's A simple wire
around the inner perimeter of a large window held in place with cup
holder suction cups. Another inexpensive and good performing antenna
is to run wire around the baseboards of your listening room. Just
tuck it behind the carpet.

RHF

May 22, 2007, 6:44:04 PM5/22/07

Roadie,

Here are several Shortwave Active Antenna that can be
'used' In-Doors but are mostly designed to be 'used'
Out-Side Away from the House and Up-in-the-Air :
[ Most are General Coverage : LW & MW & SW ]

Dressler - Active Shortwave Antennas
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4061.html
ARA60S and ARA100HDX are Made-in-Germany

RF Systems - DX-One Professional Mk II
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1246.html
Omni-Directional Active Vertical Receiving Antenna
is Made-in-Holland

Wellbrook - Active Loop Antenna Model ALA 1530
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/products.html#ALA1530
is Made-in-the-UK

McKay Dymek - Model DA-100E Active Receiving Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0328.html
is Made-in-the-USA

MFJ - MFJ-1024 Active Receive Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html
is Made-in-the-USA

LF Engineering - Model H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT15.html
is Made-in-the-USA

DX Engineering - Active Horizontal (Dipole) Receive Antenna System
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=888&PLID=219&SecID=79&DeptID=12&PartNo=DXE%2DARAH%2D1P
is Made-in-the-USA

North Country Radio - Weather-Proof Active Antenna
http://www.northcountryradio.com/Kitpages/actant.htm
It's a KIT - Make It Yourself in the USA

PLUS - The Sony AN-LP1 'portable' Active Shortwave Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html

as always more than you wanted to know - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL

David

May 22, 2007, 9:43:54 PM5/22/07
On 22 May 2007 15:44:04 -0700, RHF <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>MFJ - MFJ-1024 Active Receive Antenna
>http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html
>is Made-in-the-USA

I have one of these on a 20' pole and it works like an old car radio
antenna, i.e. really good on MW at night. I use it with an R-75 and
can get George Noory on at least 10 dial positions.

RHF

Jun 18, 2007, 4:07:37 AM6/18/07
On May 22, 3:44 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

> Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
> .
> ! - - -

> .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners

For Anyone Who Mite Be Interested,

One of the very Best "Active" Antennas
for Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)

There is an RF Systems DX-One Professional
MK 2 Active Antenna currently listed on eBay
with a Buy-It-Now Price of $400 + S&H
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120133631670

My 'estimated' of the Reserve Price isf between
$280 (70%) and $340 (85%)
http://www.elixcom.sk/dx-1.php

* Considereding that the MSRP in the USA is $699.95
and the on-line discounted price is $669.95 + S&H
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1246.html

* This eBay Item could represent a 40% to 49% to 58%
Savings over a new one - based on the $670 on-line-price.

IF - You are limited to a relatively small Active Antenna
vice a Long Wire Antenna -and- can afford the price the
RF Systems DX-One Professional MK 2 Active Antenna
is highly recommended.
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/dx1pro.dx
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/d3208ddad14ce706

Read - About "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/6549
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/57df7f47f701f5f4

NOTICE - BE ADVISED :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.

PLEASE NOTE - FWIW :
That this Message is being Posted for Informational Purposes Only.

BIDDERS CAUTION - Know your eBay Seller
and Something About what they are Selling.

As Always - Any Potential Buyers Beware
Life is a Gamble -and- So Is eBay ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Joe Analssandrini

Jun 18, 2007, 5:39:22 PM6/18/07
On May 21, 4:12 pm, "dt" <dtboomer,,,@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best indoor SWL antenna I can get?
>
> boomer

Dear "Boomer,"

The "best" you can get? That depends on the use to which you wish to
put the antenna. For travel and for use with portable SW radios around
the house, the Sony AN-LP1 Active (Loop) Antenna would be an excellent
choice. If you were able to find, on the used market, an AOR WL500
(Active) Window Loop, that antenna performs even better than the AN-
LP1 but is much less convenient to assemble, take down, and carry, if
it is to be used for traveling.

For use in the home with an expensive portable SW radio, such as the
Eton E1 or the Grundig Satellit 800, or for use in the home with ANY
tabletop communications receiver, the absolute "best" active SW
antenna which can be used indoors, in my experience, is the Wellbrook
ALA 330S (Active Loop Antenna). I HIGHLY recommend this antenna. Note
that, for this particular antenna, "indoors" means "attic" (unless you
have a particularly sympathetic and tolerant significant other).

Best,

Joe