A BETTER SPEAKER

<RJ>

Mar 18, 2008, 2:14:51 AM3/18/08

The speaker in my pocket radio leaves alot to be desired.

I'd like to plug a larger speaker into the earphone jack.

As I remember it, though, audio impedance on these radios
is about 40 ohms.... an 8 ohm speaker wouldn't match up.

???

<rj>

Brenda Ann

Mar 18, 2008, 3:22:14 AM3/18/08

"<RJ>" <bara...@localnet.com> wrote in message

Been a very long time since I've seen a speaker in a pocket radio that used
an odd impedence like that. The main issue is the power output of those
little buggers is down around 30mW, so you need a pretty efficient speaker.
Something like a 4" speaker out of an old table radio would work, but don't
expect booming bass out of it. I had a speaker that came from a drive-in
movie that did an upgrade when I was a kid, and plugged it into my Juliette
pocket radio. It made a huge difference in sound quality. Of course, radio
stations sound like warmed over crap now compared to what they did in the
mid 60's...

RHF

Mar 19, 2008, 12:11:07 PM3/19/08
On Mar 17, 11:14 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@localnet.com> wrote:
- Subject was: A BETTER SPEAKER
- http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e3f55b8322a7ab76
-
- The speaker in my pocket radio leaves alot to be desired.
-
- I'd like to plug a larger speaker into the earphone jack.
-
- As I remember it, though, audio impedance on these radios
- is about 40 ohms.... an 8 ohm speaker wouldn't match up.
-
- ???
-
- <rj>

RJ,

Portable AM/FM Pocket Radio Needs a Better Speaker
-think- Portable {Self-Powered} Stereo Speakers

No Problem -simply- Use the Radio's built-in Earphone Jack
with a Pair of Self-Powered Stereo Speakers. Any Audio
Impedance mismatch can be compensated by the Radio's
Volume Control and the Speaker's Amplifier.

Take a look at these Mini Portable Travel Stereo Speakers
for PC etc. - http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ310033398774
* They use an 1/8" Stereo Plug for the Input
[ Your Pocket Radio's Earphone Jack. ]
* They can use 4 "AAA" Batteries for self-power.
* Mini = 7.75"W x 2.75"H x 1.25"D

Sony SRS-T33 Compact Portable Speakers
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ380006772479
Uses 4 "AA" Batteries