Pro-84 scanner help

win2tanker

Jan 3, 2008, 11:24:47 AM1/3/08
While try to scan the CB bands with mi RadioShack Pro-84 scanner it
sometimes locks up on the CB cannels when there is no signal on
there. I adjusted the squelch and nothing happens but when i touch
the anntena (the one that came with the handheld scanner) the
interference goes away. This tends to happen more often when I use
the backlight. I have just recenly got the scanner. Please reply
with possible causes and solutions. Thx

Wimpie

Jan 3, 2008, 2:44:28 PM1/3/08

Hello,

Is it always the same channel/frequency? What does the signal
indicator (if present) show you?

It may be parasitic oscillation of the HF input stage. When you touch
the antenna, the oscillation may stop or go to another frequency.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl

RHF

Jan 3, 2008, 8:29:51 PM1/3/08
-
- I adjusted the squelch and nothing happens but when i touch
- the anntena (the one that came with the handheld scanner)
- the interference goes away. This tends to happen more often
- when I use the backlight. I have just recenly got the scanner.
- Please reply with possible causes and solutions.
- Thx

Win2Tanker,

RadioShack PRO-84 Scanner Radio - 200 Channels
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2180625
This is a Small Handheld Scanner with a relatively short
Antenna connected to the Radio via a BNC Connector.

MOST LIKELY - When the Scanner's Backlight is used :
The Scanner uses more Power; and this Reduces the RF
Gain of the Scanner; resulting in Less RF Signal being
heard along; with more internal Noise from the Radio.

Usually the simple Answer is a Bigger Antenna.

RadioShack Pro-84 Scanner Help :
Many Scanner Radio Problems can be "Fixed"
with a Better Scanner Antenna

Here are some Scanner Antenna 'Options' :

1 - For Mobility try a "Telescopic Handheld Scanner Antenna"
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ150199946066
This Antenna has the BNC fitting on the end and is 23 Inches
from Tip-to-Bottom when fully Extended

2.a - For Fixed Locations try "Snoop" Scanner Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194979322
Covers all Scanner Frequencies in the 30 MHz to 1200 MHz range.
Remote Helix Antenna Element is in an 8 Inch Long PVC Pipe
with an 8-Foot Coax Cable and BNC Connector.

2.b Want something Bigger then try the 24" Black Big Daddy
"Snoop" Scanner Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270198194062

3 - Scanner Window Mount Antenna mounts with Suction Cups
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ370009744502
This Antenna is made out of 8-Feet of Coax Cable with an
18 Inch exposted Tip Antenna Element with a BNC Connector.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194659551
Workman SC-1 Antenna

4 - The 48 Inch Grove "Flex-Tenna" Model VU # ANT46
can be connected to the Scanner with an F-to-BNC Adapter
with the Scanner in your Pocket and the Antenna under you
Clothing. - http://www.grove-ent.com/grovevu.html

5 - For the Car try a Magnet mount Mini-Mobile Wide-Band
Scanner Antenna with a BNC Connector.
http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270199921254
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/MM3ANT

6 - Check-Out Scanner World -USA-
SWUSA - http://www.scannerworld.com/

7 - Scanner Antennas at Grove Enterprises
http://www.grove-ent.com/scannerantennas.html

8 - Scanner Antennas at Universal-Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants.html

9 - RadioShack Scanner Antennas and Accessories
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032098&cp=2032052.2032075.2032078

enjoy listening to your scanner -and- remember to . . .
keep your antenna-up - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Group
http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS => http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

win2tanker

Jan 4, 2008, 8:33:42 AM1/4/08
On Jan 3, 8:29 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

>  .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
> Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners

Thank you for your help. The thing is that I have a large old CB
antenna(has 2 large pieces of copper wire extenting a few feet in
opposite directions). I sometimes have it connected to and for some
reason the interference happens more often with that antenna than when
I use the small antenna that came with the unit. Also the
interference tends to go away when I turn the backlight on when using
the old CB antenna. LOL maybe my scanner is just cursed.

RHF

Jan 4, 2008, 9:49:19 PM1/4/08
> > Scanner Antenna  with a BNC Connector.http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270199921254http://www.scanner...

- LOL maybe my scanner is just cursed.

RadioShack Pro-84 Scanner - Heal Thy Self ! :o) ~ RHF
.

Beloved Leader

Jan 5, 2008, 12:50:32 AM1/5/08

If you have access to the owner's manual, it should tell you where the
birdies are. Is there one in the CB frequencies?

RHF

Jan 5, 2008, 6:19:47 AM1/5/08
> > Scanner Antenna  with a BNC Connector.http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270199921254http://www.scanner...
-
- Thank you for your help. The thing is that I have a large old
- CB antenna (has 2 large pieces of copper wire extenting a
- few feet in opposite directions). I sometimes have it connected
- to and for some reason the interference happens more often
- with that antenna than when I use the small antenna that came
- with the unit. Also the interference tends to go away when
- I turn the backlight on when using the old CB antenna.
- LOL maybe my scanner is just cursed.
-

W2T,

The large old CB Antenna just may be 'too big' for this
small Handheld Scanner.

-IF- Your primary Interest is in the hearing the CB Band :
Then Buy a CB Radio and use a CB Antenna to do so.

Citizens' Band (CB) Radio Band -Info-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens'_band_radio

A simple Snake Antenna for the CB Band for Scanners
made from a single piece of Coax Cableshould work with
out overloading the Scanner.

First buy a 20~25 Foot long piece of Coax Cable
with BNC Connectors on both ends.

CB Band {Amateur} Vertical Antenna Calculator
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

Snake Antenna - Antenna Construction Steps :
* Measure-out from one of the Ends of the Coax Cable
19 Feet 6 Inches and 'cut' the Coax into two pieces.
* Take the 19 Feet 6 Inch piece of Coax Cable and then
Measure-out form the BNC Connector End 8 Feet 8.25 Inches
and carefully 'cut' around the Outer-Cover of the Coax,
being careful not to cut into the Inner Insulator.
* On the BNC Connector side of this 8 Feet 8.25 Inches
'cut' {very near to the 'cut'} place a Clamp-On Ferrite Bead
and place a Plastic Wire Tie on the Coax on each side of it
to hold-it-in-place.
* Make a Long 'cut' down the remain section of the Coax
away from the BNC Connector.
* Remove the Outer-Cover of the Coax from this section.
* Carefully 'snip' the Individual Wires of the Coax Shield
at the 8 Feet 8.25 Inches 'cut'.
* Remove the Coax Shield from this Section.
* Fold-over 1.5 Inches of the End-Tip of the Inner Insulation
back on to itself froming an Eye-Loop. Secure with Three
Plastic Wire Ties leaving a Half-Inch Eye-Loop for Rigging.
* Attach a Nylon-Poly Rigging Rope to the Eye-Loop.

You now have built your own End-Fed "Snake" Dipole Antenna
for the CB Bands to use with your Scanner.

NOTE - If you started out with a 25 Foot piece of Coax with
BNC connectors on both Ends : You have a 5 Foot 6 Inch
piece of Coax left over to make a shorter A2L Antenna
to use with your Scanner.
Note - A2L = Almost-A-Loop -because- it is not electrically
connected as a Loop -but- is shaped like a Loop -hence-
'Almost' A Loop.

A2L Antenna - Antenna Construction Steps :
* Measure-out from the BNC Connector of the Coax Cable
Two Feet (2') and carefully 'cut' around the Outer-Cover of
the Coax, being careful not to cut into the Inner Insulator.
* On the BNC Connector side of this 2 Foot 'cut' {very near to
the 'cut'} place a Clamp-On Ferrite Bead and place a Plastic
Wire Tie on the Coax on each side of it to hold-it-in-place.
* Make a Long 'cut' down the remain section of the Coax
away from the BNC Connector.
* Remove the Outer-Cover of the Coax from this section.
* Carefully 'snip' the Individual Wires of the Coax Shield
at the 2 Feet 'cut'.
* Remove the Coax Shield from this Section.
* Take the Inner Insulation and from a Single-Turn Loop
with it with 4 Inches overlapping to create a One-Foot
Diameter A2L Loop. Secure this Overlap with three
Plastic Wire Ties evenly spaced.
* Bend the Loop and Coax so that the Coax extends down
from the Loop. {Looks like an outline of a Lolliipop}
http://www.resene.co.nz/kids/stencils/images/lollipop_l.jpg

Place the A2L Antenna Element next to a Window; on a
Desk-Top; hang it on a Wall; or Wear-It while walking around.

FWIW - This One-Foot Diameter A2L Loop Antenna picks-up
the 800~900 MHz Frequencies fairly well.

iane ~ RHF
.

Message has been deleted

RHF

Jan 6, 2008, 2:32:01 PM1/6/08
FO&A,

Here is another simple CB Radio Antenna to use with a Scanner
-or- for that matter a CB Radio or any other Radio used primarily
to Monitor the CB Radio Band. Works for 10 Meters too.

Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna -cut- for the CB Radio Band.
Frequency Coverage : 26.065 MHz to 27.085 MHz

This is a basic Dipole Antenna with 9-Feet per side comes with
a Center Connector and Coax Cable feed-in-line. Can be used
Indoors in a Corner of a Room with the Arms along two Adjacent
Walls or Outside under the Eaves of the House.

INDOOR Base ANTENNA for CB Radio - Wire Dipole - New
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194837706

The Coax Cable has PL-259 Plugs on the Ends so a
SO-239 Jack to BNC Jack type of Adapter is required.

iane ~ RHF
.

On Jan 6, 11:30 am, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> > Citizens' Band (CB) Radio Band -Info-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens'_band_radio

> > A simple Snake Antenna for the CB Band for Scanners
> > made from a single piece of Coax Cableshould work with
> > out overloading the Scanner.
>
> > First buy a 20~25 Foot long piece of Coax Cable
> > with BNC Connectors on both ends.
>

> > CB Band {Amateur} Vertical Antenna Calculatorhttp://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

> Here is another simple CB Radio Antenna to use with a Scanner
> -or- for that matter a CB Radio or any other Radio used primarily
> to Monitor the CB Radio Band. Works for 10 Meters too.
>
> Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna -cut- for the CB Radio Band.
> Frequency Coverage : 26.065 MHz to 27.085 MHz
>
> This is a basic Dipole Antenna with 9-Feet per side comes with
> a Center Connector and Coax Cable feed-in-line. Can be used
> Indoors in a Corner of a Room with the Arms along two Adjacent
> Walls or Outside under the Eaves of the House.
>
> INDOOR Base ANTENNA for CB Radio - Wire Dipole - Newhttp://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194837706
>
> The Coax Cable has PL-259 Plugs on the Ends so a
> SO-239 Jack to BNC Jack type of Adapter is required.
>
> iane ~ RHF
>  .

harvey

Jan 6, 2008, 5:23:18 PM1/6/08

> Usually the simple Answer is a Bigger Antenna.

Got a soldierless BNC Connector from Rat Shack;

hooked 5 feet of wire to it

put a small suction cup on the window &

Hooked it all up..

cost : $ 5:00