Grundig S350 question

Igor Gros

Feb 26, 2003, 6:23:09 AM2/26/03
Does that stuff have an SSB (CW,LSB,USB) ?

Gary

Feb 26, 2003, 11:26:02 AM2/26/03
Igor Gros <igor...@uni-mb.si> wrote in message news:<3E5CA39D...@uni-mb.si>...

> Does that stuff have an SSB (CW,LSB,USB) ?

NO. This radio is made for listening to MW, FM, and shortwave
programming and NOT utility or ham communications. For the price, it
appears to be a real bargain. I am anxious to get one and compare the
MW performance to my CCRadio.

RHF

Feb 26, 2003, 6:59:09 PM2/26/03
= = = garya...@aol.com (Gary) wrote in message
= = = news:<fc4afcdc.03022...@posting.google.com>...

= = = Visit and 'Take-A-Look' at the = = =
= = "NEW" Grundig S350 eGroup at YAHOO! = =
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/

The Grundig S350 is an up-date on the 'original' Tecsun BCL-2000 radio
that was designed for Broad Cast Listeners (BCLs) to receive standard
AM/MW, FM, and International Shortwave (AM) Broadcasts. It has many
quality features to accomplish this task. At a Target MSRP Price of
$100US it Offers Real Value for the Money: At the Mid-Point Between
the GE Superadio III ($40) and the CC*Radio+Plus ($160).

IMHO: The Grundig S350 may be what everyone was 'hoping' a
GE-Superadio-IV was going to be. Grundig-USA may have got the jump
on GE-Thomson CE (FR). The Grundig S350 will become the Next
Generation of SUPER RADIO for the New Millennium.

~ RHF
-o/m- "Grundig-S-350" eGroup at YAHOO !

.

Tad Early

Feb 27, 2003, 12:17:28 AM2/27/03

"RHF" <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message
IMHO, at least part of the appeal of the Superadios was their price
point. For many of us, the SW capabilities, such as they may be, of
the Grundig will be largely surplusage. I'm impressed by the strap,
and am not trying to put a serious knock on it, but I certainly don't
think it's any *great* bargain at list price. It's analogue, right?
Also, the lack of a dedicated on/off button strikes me as a rather odd
choice if you don't want it to shut off after 90 mins.

Jay Smith

Feb 27, 2003, 10:49:40 AM2/27/03
"Tad Early" <fenwick...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:b3k705$s0n$1
@bob.news.rcn.net:

> IMHO, at least part of the appeal of the Superadios was their price
> point. For many of us, the SW capabilities, such as they may be, of
> the Grundig will be largely surplusage. I'm impressed by the strap,
> and am not trying to put a serious knock on it, but I certainly don't
> think it's any *great* bargain at list price. It's analogue, right?
> Also, the lack of a dedicated on/off button strikes me as a rather odd
> choice if you don't want it to shut off after 90 mins.

Exactly right. The price of the SuperRadio was really what made
it attractive to buyers and it appeared to have sold well. For many
potential buyers, they are not interested in shortwave and may actually be
put off by its inclusion. They just want a good quality radio that can
receive medium-wave and FM, good sound, good reception, at a relatively low
cost. The SuperRadio also had a great name.

Shortwave radios, at least in North America, is a niche market. Its
unlikely your going to find the Grundig S-350 being sold in drug stores
and department stoes like the SuperRadio was.

Gary

Feb 27, 2003, 11:07:40 AM2/27/03
"Tad Early" <fenwick...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<b3k705$s0n$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> IMHO, at least part of the appeal of the Superadios was their price
> point. For many of us, the SW capabilities, such as they may be, of
> the Grundig will be largely surplusage. I'm impressed by the strap,
> and am not trying to put a serious knock on it, but I certainly don't
> think it's any *great* bargain at list price. It's analogue, right?
> Also, the lack of a dedicated on/off button strikes me as a rather odd
> choice if you don't want it to shut off after 90 mins.

In my opinion, the S350 at $99.95 is one the BIGGEST BARGAINS around.
The analog GE Superadio sells for $49.95, and the digital CCRadio
sells for around $149.00. The S350 gives you the BEST of both - an
analog tuner (free of all that hissing sound on weak stations due to
digital circuitry) with a DIGITAL readout. No more guessing on an
inaccurate analog tuning dial. From what I've read about this radio,
I would gladly pay the $99.95 even if it did NOT have the shortwave
bands. An analog radio with a digital readout is about the best you
can get if you are looking for distant reception.

Reports so far show the S350 is actually better than the Superadio on
MW because of better selectivity, and BETTER than the GE Superadio AND
the Sony 7600 on FM. It even picked up more SW stations than the
SONY.

I ordered an S350 from Grundig-Eton yesterday and will compare it to
my CCRadio and my YB-400.

RHF

Feb 27, 2003, 12:39:55 PM2/27/03
TE,

Having both the GE Superadio III (Analog Varactor Tuning) and the
CC*Radio+Plus (Digital PLL Tuning). The Grundig (Super Radio) S350
has Digital LCD Display and True Analog Variable Capacitor Tuning.
All three radios are single conversion. The Grundig S350 has the
right features that are a mix and a match between the the GE Superadio
III and the CC*Radio+Plus. Plus the Grundig S350's Price Point of
$100 is just about right for a radio tha fits a 'niche' between the GE

Superadio III ($40) and the CC*Radio+Plus ($160).

Like the the word play "surplusage" = surplus usage.

~ RHF

= = = Visit and 'Take-A-Look' at the = = =
= = "NEW" Grundig S350 eGroup at YAHOO! = =
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/

= = = "Tad Early" <fenwick...@yahoo.com>

RHF

Feb 27, 2003, 3:02:14 PM2/27/03
= = = Jay Smith <jsm...@nctta.org> wrote in message
= = = news:<Xns932F6E2164AD...@65.100.3.61>...

= = = "Tad Early" <fenwick...@yahoo.com>
= = = wrote in news:b3k705$s0n$1 @bob.news.rcn.net:

IMHO: The Grundig 'Super Radio' S350 is a "GRUNDIG" and yes you will
not find it in every corner drug store. But you will find it in every
RadioShack and see it in many Mail Order Catalogs and OnLine Store
WebSites. As far as Department Store Hudsn's Bay Company in Canada
already has them.

M2CW: As far as the $100 MSRP Price goes. This is the Idea Target
Price for a Mid-Featured Quality Radio in the USA Electonics Market.
Not Too Cheep and Not Too Expensive! A Good Gift Radio or Personal
Gift Radio (Happy Birthday to Me). Many Good Selling Point Features
for a Mid-Priced Radio. With the Talk of War and International
Crisis, Shortwave Sells as a feature of a radio.

Jay Smith

Feb 27, 2003, 11:51:37 PM2/27/03
rhf-...@usa.com (RHF) wrote in

> IMHO: The Grundig 'Super Radio' S350 is a "GRUNDIG" and yes you will
> not find it in every corner drug store. But you will find it in every
> RadioShack and see it in many Mail Order Catalogs and OnLine Store
> WebSites. As far as Department Store Hudsn's Bay Company in Canada
> already has them.

Would you know if they are going to be available at Radio Shack
stores in the United States?

RHF

Feb 28, 2003, 5:40:14 AM2/28/03
Jay Smith <jsm...@nctta.org> wrote in message news:<Xns932FF2B37FB7...@65.100.3.61>...

RadioShack.Canada already has them on their WebSite.

Since the Grundig S350 'fits' a price point that is open in the
RadioShack.USA radio line-up, and since Grundig-USA is now
RadioShack.USA's main radio provider. I would natually expect that
there will be a Grundig S350 in your local RadioShack Store within a
month(week) or two.

~ RHF

RHF

Feb 28, 2003, 5:06:48 PM2/28/03
= = = Igor Gros <igor...@uni-mb.si>
= = = wrote in message news:<3E5CA39D...@uni-mb.si>...

> Does that stuff have an SSB (CW,LSB,USB) ?

Latest Changes on the Grundig-USA WebSite for the Grundig S350
- The Next Generation of Super Radio for the New Millennium -

1. The "Owner's Manual" - WebPage is Now Ready for Viewing

http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/product.asp?function=ownersmanual&productname=s350

Here is a "Make A Shorter Link" URL Key for the above webpage.

GoTo=> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2A5153A3

2. The "Specification Sheet (Spec Sheet) - WebPage is Now Ready for Viewing

http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/product.asp?function=specsheet&productname=s350

Here is a "Make A Shorter Link" URL Key for the above webpage..
GoTo=> http://makeashorterlink.com/?U265323A3

3. "For More Information" about the Grundig S350
- - - Visit and 'Take-A-Look' at the - - -
- - - Grundig S350 eGroup at YAHOO! - - -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/

iys ~ RHF
-o/m- Grundig S350 eGroup on YAHOO !

.

elfa

Mar 1, 2003, 12:35:11 AM3/1/03
Being the proud new owner of an old Panasonic RF-B300 (circa 1985, I
noticed that the S350 has the same features. The thing I miss the most
however is memory presets. Switching freqs in different bands is not
that convenient. It's too bad they left out memory presets (5 or 6 would have
been OK).

elfa

In article <3ef6beca.03022...@posting.google.com>, rhf-...@usa.com
says...

Jay Smith

Mar 1, 2003, 10:12:09 AM3/1/03

> RadioShack.Canada already has them on their WebSite.
>
> Since the Grundig S350 'fits' a price point that is open in the
> RadioShack.USA radio line-up, and since Grundig-USA is now
> RadioShack.USA's main radio provider. I would natually expect that
> there will be a Grundig S350 in your local RadioShack Store within a
> month(week) or two.

Thanks for your response. When I inquired at Radio Shack if they planned to
carry the Grundig S-350 in their USA stores, I received the following
answer:

----

"I am unaware of any plans to
introduce the Grundig S-350 to our product lineup this year."

Thank you,
Wade Childs
RadioShack Customer Care

----

This is not to suggest that your wrong. Plans could change.
or Radio Shack may not want to announce a new product in their
stores yet. Anything could happen but it doesnt look imminent.

RHF

Mar 1, 2003, 11:54:20 AM3/1/03
ELFA,

The Grundig S350 is more like the Panasonic RF-2900 & RF2600 Circa
1970s radios (Analog Tuning and Digital Read Out). Like them, it has
NO Memories.

But, the Question Remains . . .
Does It Have Ears Like the Old Panasonics ?

iys ~ RHF
-o/m- Grundig S350 eGroup on YAHOO !

.

= = = elfa <elfa_...@newsguy.com>

RHF

Mar 1, 2003, 10:42:31 PM3/1/03
JS,

Missed This and It Is Important Grundig S350 News.

I am going to Re-Post-It Here [Completely].
Under a New Title here at Rec.radio.Shortwave.
To Give it a Re-Start.

~ RHF

= = = Jay Smith <jsm...@nctta.org> wrote in message
= = = news:<Xns933167C17B3B...@65.100.3.61>...

Neville Denetto

Mar 2, 2003, 2:21:20 PM3/2/03
To the members:

Reading the mail has answered 2 important questions:
1. It DOES NOT have memory presets (very important)
2. NO SSB (not that important)

I've take my name off the list of prospective S350 buyers, and will look
instead at the YB PE300 or PE400

Thanks
ND
=================

"RHF" <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message

John A. Figliozzi

Mar 2, 2003, 11:49:02 PM3/2/03
Here are my initial impressions of the Tecsun receiver (BCL-2000) that will serve, at the
very least, as the basis (if not a clone) for the Grundig S-350.

Positives:
- Attractive styling and appearance--black, dark gray and silver,
nicely arranged
- Substantial, solid "feel"
- Useful size--large enough to provide good audio, small enough to
easily move about
- Might have the best handle in the business
- Excellent and powerful audio overall, especially in a receiver at
this price point
- Wide bandwidth, to the ear, seems a well chosen balance between
fidelity and avoiding adjacent channel interference
- Very good sensitivity with whip antenna on FM/SW and ferrite rod on MW
- Has separate bass/treble controls, clock, alarm, rf gain control,
battery level indicator and two bandwidths, fast/slow tuning options
- Easily read display with excellent backlight
- Inboard mains circuitry obviates the need for a bulky outboard wall
adapter

Negatives:
- Totally lacking in frequency stability, receiver drifts incessantly
on shortwave
- Sample tested was off by at least 2 kHz. across all three SW bands and the MW band
- SW Tuning is very touchy--due either to aforementioned drifting,
mechanical backlash or both--making it nearly impossible to tune
receiver to a set frequency and have it remain there
- FM Stereo not available via earphone plug
- Bass and treble controls have very limited effect on tone of audio
- Little significant difference between fast/slow tuning options
- Three band arrangement for SW makes tuning annoying/confusing at
times--no clear indication as to where one band ends and the next begins
- No memory feature; furthermore, receiver does not retain last
frequency tuned when switching among the three SW bands

Overall:
Several strong positives are overwhelmed by the receiver's significant
drifting problem on shortwave, which unfortunately will completely
frustrate and ultimately disappoint any user, whether a novice or
veteran. (On MW and FM, this problem appears to be much less
noticeable.) Solve the drifting problem--even at the expense of adding
a few dollars to the cost of the receiver--and the Tecsun BCL-2000 (and
Grundig S-350) will be a strong entry in today's multiband receiver
marketplace.

John Figliozzi

RHF

Mar 3, 2003, 7:41:44 AM3/3/03
JAF,

Concerning your "Initial Impressions" Report on the Grundig S350.

I would like to "I N V I T E" You
To Post this Report on the Grundig S350 eGroup at YAHOO !

However, If You Do Not Wish to Post Your Report on the Grundig S350
eGroup.
May I have your "Permission" to Post this Report on the eGroup with
Attribution to You at Rec.Radio.Shortwave.

To 'others' who have a particular interest in the Grundig S350 and
wish to share their experiences and with owner-operators of this
radio.
You too are "Invited to Join" the Grundig S350 eGroup at YAHOO !

The Grundig S350: The Next Generation of "SUPER RADIO" for a New
Millennium.

~ RHF
.
-o/m- "Grundig S350" eGroup at YAHOO !
.
-o/m- "Grundig Satellit 900" eGroup at YAHOO !
.
-o/m- "Kenwood R-5000" eGroup at YAHOO !

.

- - - "John A. Figliozzi" <jfig...@nycap.rr.com>

Gary

Mar 3, 2003, 1:03:56 PM3/3/03
"John A. Figliozzi" <jfig...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:<3E62DEBF...@nycap.rr.com>...
The Grundig S350 has an AC adaptor, so the power supply is not built
in, thus making it a lighter radio to carry around. The is NO drift
on FM when you use the AFC switch. On SW and MW band, I find a slight
drift. Drift on the MW band is not a problem, and on the SW band, I
find drifting to be minimal AFTER the radio has been on for half and
hour or so. The fast tuning dial really zips through the frequencies
fast while the slow tuning knob is no where near as fast. Yes, you
CAN zip through the frequencies using the slow tuning knob, but you
canNOT fine tune using the fast tuning knob. I find BOTH the bass and
treble tone controls to have a major effect on audio tone on the FM
band, and more effect on the MW and SW bands than the bass and treble
controls on my CCRadio. On SW, you can get rid of a lot of squeals
just using the tone controls instead of using the narrow bandwidth.
But having BOTH tone controls, AND the narrow bandwidth gives great
flexibility in getting rid of interference. I found the low pass
filter to be useful on a strong signal with a lot of background noise.
The LPF complete eleminated the background noise. In other cases, it
seemed to act as an attenuator, so it is meant only to reduce or
eliminate certain types of noise.

MAYBE some of the more serious problems were worked out before the
Grundig model became available. The Tucsun and the Grundig are NOT
identical. The Grundig MW band extended to 1710, no built-in power
supply, possibly other changes were made.

john.ri...@gmail.com

May 13, 2019, 12:05:15 PM5/13/19
My S350 goes off every hour. Why

john.ri...@gmail.com

May 13, 2019, 12:08:51 PM5/13/19
My s350 goes off every hour. Help

Frank

May 13, 2019, 1:21:08 PM5/13/19
On Mon, 13 May 2019 09:08:48 -0700, john.rita.salo wrote:

> My s350 goes off every hour. Help

Does the S350 have a sleep function?

marc

May 13, 2019, 2:10:43 PM5/13/19
john.ri...@gmail.com wrote:

> My s350 goes off every hour. Help

push the "on" button several times... sometimes you ll see

on 5 10 30 60 90

in a cycle ..

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk