"Junk Box" Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) 9:1 Matching Transformer

RHF

Dec 31, 2008, 7:15:47 PM12/31/08
"Junk Box" Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) 9:1 Matching Transformer
.
Take a 5" to 6.5" Ferrite Rod/Bar from an old AM Radio
.
==//////////|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|///////////==
singlewire : twinwire : singlewire
.
"=" Ferrite Rod Round or Flat Bar
"/" 30-Turns 48 Inch Black Insulated Hook-Up Wire
"|" 10-Turns 24 Inch Red Insulated Hook-Up Wire
.
Leave Six Inch Leads at the Starting and Ending
of the Coils on the Rod.
.
Use Black Plastic Electrical Tape to Secure all
the Wire Ends to the Ferrite Rod at their starts
and finishes.
.
Begin at about a Half-an-Inch to Inch from one end
of the Ferrite Rod/Bar and Start Winding 10-Turns
of the Single Black Wire.
.
Then Lay the Red Wire Next to the Black Wire
and Start the Winding 10-Turns of the Twin Wires.
.
Next Finish with Winding 10-Turns of the Single Black Wire.
.
Note - Keep the Turn Wraps Close and Tight Together.
.
FWIW - You may have to do and un-do this Winding
of the Wire on the Rod/Bar process two or three times
to get the Turns Centered and Laid-Out Neat and Tight.
.
TBL - Yeah It Not a Great Matching Transformer
-but- It can Be Better Than Nothing and can cost
you nothing -if- you have the stuff in your Junk Box.
.
Making the Matching Transformer Connections :
One Black Wire to the Antenna Wire
Other Black Wire to Ground Wire*
One Red Wire to the Coax Cable Inner Conductor
Other Red Wire to the Coax Cable Outer Shield**
* & ** NOTE - Try a Jumper between the Black Wire
to Ground Wire and the Red Wire to the Coax Cable
Outer Shield {Jumper or No-Jumper Try it both ways}
.
another easy fun project - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line = http://tinyurl.com/25zbrg
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/411dac3b4a1798e0
.
* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
is the Shortwave Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO = http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
.
.

RHF

Jan 1, 2009, 10:18:16 PM1/1/09

RHF

Jan 1, 2009, 10:25:42 PM1/1/09
Remember the "WPE" Shortwave Radio Monitor
Registration Program -by- John Herkimer
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/567bc9d977858579
.
ARRL - Were You A WPE ?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2002/01/19/1/?nc=1
.
Are You An 'Official' Shortwave Radio Monitor ?
WPE = http://www.bobsamerica.com/wpe.html
.
The WPE Program and Uncle Tom Kneitel
WPE = http://kb6nu.com/OLD386/
.
Were you a Popular Electronics Short-Wave Monitor? -by- WPE8ETW
WPE = http://www.k4eq.com/wpe.html
.
? WPE ? - Silly Moose "Shortwave DX Radio" -by- WPE9GIZ
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/bbcd06f970520e1b

iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.

Shortwave Listener QSL Reports Newsgroup : SWL : INFO
http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports/

John Smith

Jan 1, 2009, 10:38:36 PM1/1/09
RHF wrote:

> The WPE Program and Uncle Tom Kneitel
> WPE = http://kb6nu.com/OLD386/

This was interesting, an found on the URL, above:

Comments

1.
Matt Clark
Comment by Matt Clark | 2008/07/08 at 07:00:59

I ran across one of these mags in which Tom Kneitel was
publishing Ouija board messages from a “William Wheton”. In a later
issue a reader wrote in and asked what further info Tom had gotten. Tom
said he might write a followup, that there was “some real evidence” to this.

I found an email address for him but it didn’t work. If you talk
to him again could you please ask him what happened? All us readers were
just left in suspense!

Thanks very much for your time!

Matt Clark
ibgr...@yahoo.com

Regards,
JS

RHF

Jan 2, 2009, 12:36:55 AM1/2/09
Interactive Map of World Shortwave Radio Transmitters
-developed by- DXTRA = http://www.dxtra.com/map.html

-source- DXTRA = http://www.dxtra.com/
.
yes i heard it on the ray-di-oh ~ RHF
Twain Harte, CA -USA-

RHF

Jan 2, 2009, 1:08:29 AM1/2/09
Shortwave Monitor .Com
.
http://www.shortwavemonitor.com/index.htm
.
Shortwave Radio
Shortwave "High Frequency" Propagation
Types of Modulation
Users of the Shortwave Radio Bands
Shortwave Radio Listening
Utility "UTE" Stations
.
Utility "UTE" DXers Forum [UDXF]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/udxf/
.
LW + MW +SW Monitoring Frequency Table-List : To 5 MHz
Long Wave [LW] Below 500 kHz
Medium, Wave [MW] between 500 and 1800 kHz
Shortwave [SW] to 5000 kHz
http://www.shortwavemonitor.com/00-05.htm
.
Shortwave Monitoring Frequency Table-List : 5~10 MHz
Shortwave [SW] from 5000 kHz to 10,000 kHz
http://www.shortwavemonitor.com/05-10.htm
.
Shortwave Monitoring Frequency Table-List : 10~30 MHz
Shortwave [SW] from 10,000 kHz to 30,000 kHz
http://www.shortwavemonitor.com/10-20.htm
.
Links - Shortwave Monitor .Com
http://www.shortwavemonitor.com/links.htm
.
yes i heard it on the ray-di-oh - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Twain Harte, CA -USA-

RHF

Jan 2, 2009, 3:01:48 AM1/2/09
Radio DXing Shortwave Listening -Blog-
.
http://dx-listening-digest.blogspot.com/
.
News about Broadcasting, from the Listener`s point of view,
primarily Shortwave, International, Medium Wave, FM,
Programming. Both DXing and Program Listening are covered.

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 8:49:58 AM1/2/09
RHF wrote:
> Remember the "WPE" Shortwave Radio Monitor
> Registration Program -by- John Herkimer
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/567bc9d977858579
> .
Start at the top:

http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

Brenda Ann

Jan 2, 2009, 9:44:06 AM1/2/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Passed the first time through... need to bone up on some things, like Smith
charts and calculus..

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 9:19:12 PM1/2/09

Yeah, but you're not Roy Hussein Fisk trying to get everybody to sign up
as an official SW monitoring station (the best part of which was getting
on the Loompanics Unlimited mailing list). Since the Technician Class
license is so easy to pass, you might as well get a REAL callsign.

Brenda Ann

Jan 2, 2009, 9:26:01 PM1/2/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Already a General.. it was the Extra Class test I took. :) (and yes, I got
my NOVICE license by taking the CODE test.. )

RHF

Jan 2, 2009, 10:26:27 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 6:19 pm, Dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> Brenda Ann wrote:
> > "Dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Dave,

? Technician Class ?

Hell-O I thought You had 'proclaimed' Yourself
the Poster with that something. . . E X T R A !

dave an everyone knows it ain't 'hussien'
it's "who-is-insane" ;;-}} ~ RHF
.
-fwiw- The old Popular Electronics "WPE" 'shtick'
was part of shortwave radio listening history for
many or the swl's in my generation.
-aka- 'the good old days'
.
.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 12:00:01 AM1/3/09
Whatever.

RHF

Jan 3, 2009, 12:04:09 AM1/3/09
- - -fwiw- The old Popular Electronics "WPE" 'shtick'
- - was part of shortwave radio listening history for
- - many or the swl's in my generation.
- - - -aka- 'the good old days'
- - .

- Whatever.

Dave -no-not- "Whatever" : It's WPE Kid-O ~ RHF
.

dxAce

Jan 3, 2009, 3:19:56 AM1/3/09

Brenda Ann wrote:

Congrat's! You're not a no-coder. You've got a 'real' license.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 9:17:48 AM1/3/09
And he knows how to use dynamotors.

RHF

Jan 12, 2009, 8:54:06 AM1/12/09
Shortwave Radio Listeners [SWL] INFO :
DockSide Radio [DSR] "Marine Radio"
DSR = http://www.docksideradio.com/
.
Listing of East or West Coast Marine and Ham Nets
http://www.docksideradio.com/Cruising%20Nets.htm
* East Coast Marine Nets
http://www.docksideradio.com/east_coast.htm
* West Coast Marine Nets
http://www.docksideradio.com/west_coast.htm
.
Maritime SSB Simplex Channels
http://www.docksideradio.com/Simplex%20Channels.htm
.
Shortwave Radio Frequencies for the BBC, VOA,
and AFN Radio Stations
http://www.docksideradio.com/sw_brdcst.htm
.
BBC English Language Broadcast Schedule
Frequencies for :
* USA & Canada
http://www.docksideradio.com/bbc_wcusa.htm
* Caribbean, Mexico, Central America
http://www.docksideradio.com/BBC%20North%20America.htm
* South {Latin} America
http://www.docksideradio.com/Bbc%20South%20America.htm
.
Voice of America "English Language" Shortwave
Radio Broadcast Frequencies
http://www.docksideradio.com/VOA%20Freq.htm
.
American {Armed} Forces Network [AFN]
Shortwave Radio Frequencies (kHz) {USB}
http://www.docksideradio.com/AFRTS.htm
.
BOATERS - Required FCC "Marine" Radio Licenses
http://www.docksideradio.com/fcc_license.htm
.
yes you too can hear it on the ray-di-oh ~ RHF

Twain Harte, CA -USA-
.
[...]
-= 6GZ4GB + 32UCPM + OGVCF + 25ZBRG + 2SKMXM =-
.
.
On Dec 31 2008, 4:15 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> "Junk Box"ShortwaveRadio Listener (SWL) 9:1 Matching Transformer

RHF

Jan 13, 2009, 12:34:07 PM1/13/09
* Subject -was- Short Wave Station Logging Program -
* http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/c96650df3e0ece44
* -source- "Rec.Radio.Shortwave" Newsgroup {UseNet}
* On Jan 12, 4:44 pm, Nobody <j...@soccer.com> wrote:
* Ah, without doing some detailed cross-checking, that list
* looks suspiciously like a printout of ILG Radio's last data-
* base before it was forced to fold, with some judicious editing.
.
FYI -iirc- The ILG DataBase Did Not 'Fold'.
.
International Listener's Group [ILG] when from a Free
Open Public Service to a Paid [Private] Subscription
basis limited to HFCC "Shortwave Frequency Mangers"
ILG International Listening Guide - Frequency Management Software
ILG = http://www.ilg.de/ilgpublic/
-creator- Bernd Friedewald [DK9FI] Germany
.
ILG Software + DataBases
[PRIVATE] = http://www.ilg.de/
The Advanced World Radio Database System !
Note - "The LG Professional Database is only* available
for Official Frequency Managers or Government
Administrations dealing with Broadcasting matters.
* Private Request Will Not Be Answered !
http://www.ilg.de/safedataframe.html?fsrc=http://www.ilg.de/
.
?WHY ? Is the ILG DataBase [PRIVATE] ?
- = ILG Professional Access = -
Answer per ILG is that the ILG DataBase includes
Technical Data which cannot be given to the Public.
http://www.ilg.de/safedataframe.html?fsrc=http://www.ilg.de/
.
Possible ILG =Replacement= IOC.Com "Radio" ?
IOC-RADIO = http://ioc.com/radio/
Ham Radio DataBase -via- DocuChannel Feed
http://www.docuchannel.net/
.
Click Here to Browse the IOC.Com "Radio" [Frequency]
DataBase = http://ioc.com/radio/db/list.php
Note - Last Modification : 01/09/2009 @ 07:57 AM PST
* First IOC.Com "Radio" DataBase WebPage # 1
http://ioc.com/radio/db/list.php?page=1
* Last IOC.Com "Radio" DataBase WebPage # 121
http://ioc.com/radio/db/list.php?page=121
.
Click Here to Create an IOC.Com "Radio" Account
Sign-Up = http://ioc.com/radio/signup.php
.
IOC.Com "Radio" Database Forum {Under Construction}
http://ioc.com/phpbb2/index.php
The IOC Radio DataBase -is- Compatible with the ILG DataBase
.
Note : IOC = Inter Office Communications (IOC)
IOC.Com = http://www.ioc.com/
.
and now you know -cause- you just read it ~ RHF {pomkia}

On Jan 12, 5:54 am, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Shortwave Radio Listeners [SWL] INFO :
> DockSide Radio [DSR] "Marine Radio"
> DSR =http://www.docksideradio.com/
> .

Nobody

Jan 13, 2009, 7:21:24 PM1/13/09
>* Subject -was- Short Wave Station Logging Program -
>* http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/c96650df3e0ece44
>* -source- "Rec.Radio.Shortwave" Newsgroup {UseNet}
>* On Jan 12, 4:44 pm, Nobody <j...@soccer.com> wrote:
>* Ah, without doing some detailed cross-checking, that list
>* looks suspiciously like a printout of ILG Radio's last data-
>* base before it was forced to fold, with some judicious editing.
> .
>FYI -iirc- The ILG DataBase Did Not 'Fold'.
> .

<gawd... let's snip all this guff>

For the Average Joe, it did:

http://www.ilg.de/safedataframe.html?fsrc=http://www.ilg.de/

RHF

Jan 15, 2009, 12:41:06 AM1/15/09
On Jan 13, 4:21 pm, Nobody <j...@soccer.com> wrote:
> >* Subject -was- Short Wave Station Logging Program -
> >*http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/c96650df3e0ece44

"Other',

To still cite/reference/quote something that
is no longer a 'public' resource is l-a-m-e.

-translation- Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL)
the ILG DatraBase os "Off-Limits" to the Public.
-meaning- You, Me and most Shortwave Radio
Listeners (SWLs).

So Hello Reality Check - Instead Try :
EiBi = http://www.eibi.de.vu/
- or -
The IOC.Com "Radio" [Frequency]
DataBase = http://ioc.com/radio/db/list.php
.
idtars ~ RHF
-ps- "Other" you make a great 'Ostrich'
.
.

RHF

Jan 15, 2009, 12:45:48 AM1/15/09
DXing : About the Grey-Line Propagation -aka- "Terminator"
Day-to-Night [Solar] Global Image Maps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)
http://sos.noaa.gov/datasets/Land/day_night.html
http://www.knls.org/English/trascripts/dxdef01.htm#Grayline
.
* The Twilight Zone . . . Revisited
-by-Steve Nichols [G0KYA]
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/mirrors/zl1bpu/IONO/Thetwilightzonerevisited.pdf
.
* Ionosphere Properties and Behaviors - Part 9
-by- Marcel H. De Canck [ON5AU]
http://www.antennex.com/prop/prop0207/prop0207.pdf
.
* The Radio Propagation - Working with the Gray line (V)
http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-propa5.htm
-source- LUXORION -by- Thierry Lombry [ON4SKY]
.
* The Myths of Low Band DXing -by- Gerry [VE6LB]
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/telwest/LBDX.html
.
* Current Gray-Line Position on Earth {Map}
http://www.worldtime.com/cgi-bin/wt.cgi
http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/n4kgprop.html
http://www.spacew.com/www/160gray.html
http://www.iri.tudelft.nl/~geurink/grayline.htm
http://www.smeter.net/propagation/views/current-gray-line.php
.

.
[...]

helm...@att.net

Jan 15, 2009, 6:13:47 PM1/15/09

GRAYLINE PROPAGATION
The Grayline is a band around the Earth that seperates Daylight from
Darkness. It is a somewhat fuzzy area because the Earth's atmosphere
tend's to defuse light into darkness. On one side of the Earth the
Grayline is coming into light [Dawn] and on the other side of the
planet it is going into darkness [Dusk]. Propagation along the
Grayline is very efficient. The Grayline runs North and South but
varies as much as 23 degree's either side of the North South line. The
variation is caused by the Earth's axis relative to the Sun. The major
reason for excellent Grayline Propagation is because the D-Layer
disappears quickly on the sunset side of the Grayline and hasn't built
up yet on the Sunrise side. You have about one hour for best
conditions, that's about 15 degree's. Beams and high power work best,
but an omni directional antenna also works.

http://www.ae4rv.com/tn/propflash.htm
A Flash movie describing the basics of HF (short-wave) radio
propagation across the globe. With text and animation. Courtesy of
AE4RV

RHF

Jan 15, 2009, 9:53:13 PM1/15/09
On Jan 15, 3:13 pm, helms...@att.net wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:45:48 -0800 (PST), RHF
>

> <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >DXing : About the Grey-Line Propagation -aka- "Terminator"
> >Day-to-Night [Solar] Global Image Maps
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)
> >http://sos.noaa.gov/datasets/Land/day_night.html
> >http://www.knls.org/English/trascripts/dxdef01.htm#Grayline
> > .
> >* The Twilight Zone . . . Revisited
> >-by-Steve Nichols [G0KYA]
> >http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/mirrors/zl1bpu/IONO/Thetwilightzonerev...

> > .
> >RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
> >Reference Message Signature-Line =http://tinyurl.com/25zbrg

> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/411dac3b4a1798e0
> > .
> >* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
> >is the Shortwave Antenna =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf

> > .
> >RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
> >SHACK INFO =http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm

> >Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
> > .
> >-= 6GZ4GB + 32UCPM + OGVCF + 25ZBRG + 2SKMXM =-
> > .
> > .
> >On Dec 31 2008, 4:15 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >> "Junk Box" Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) 9:1 Matching Transformer
>
>                                GRAYLINE PROPAGATION
> The Grayline is a band around the Earth that seperates Daylight from
> Darkness. It is a somewhat fuzzy area because the Earth's atmosphere
> tend's to defuse light into darkness. On one side of the Earth the
> Grayline is coming into light [Dawn] and on the other side of the
> planet it is going into darkness [Dusk]. Propagation along the
> Grayline is very efficient. The Grayline runs North and South but
> varies as much as 23 degree's either side of the North South line. The
> variation is caused by the Earth's axis relative to the Sun. The major
> reason for excellent Grayline Propagation is because the D-Layer
> disappears quickly on the sunset side of the Grayline and hasn't built
> up yet on the Sunrise side. You have about one hour for best
> conditions, that's about 15 degree's. Beams and high power work best,
> but an omni directional antenna also works.

-                    http://www.ae4rv.com/tn/propflash.htm
- A Flash movie describing the basics of HF
- (short-wave) radio propagation across the globe.
- With text and animation. Courtesy of AE4RV

Helms...,

That's a very good Flash Slide-Show Presentation
that you can click-through at your own speed. ~ RHF
.
Shortwave [HF] Radio Propagation Primer
-by- Geoffrey Noles [AE4RV]