Sony ICF-SW7600GR External Antenna Question

xiaNaix

Jan 20, 2004, 8:47:56 PM1/20/04
I'm currently using the AN-LP1 active antenna with my ICF-SW7600GR and
it performs reasonably well. I'd like to start pulling in some of
those fainter signals, though, and am thinking of trying an external
antenna. I don't have alot of room and would like to stick with
something that can either be setup indoors or on the roof without
having to run wires back down into the yard. I've read alot of posts
via Google Groups with good suggestions but would really like to hear
from people currently using the 7600 with an external antenna. What
sort of setup do you have and how is it working for you?

Ron Hardin

Jan 21, 2004, 2:49:41 AM1/21/04
It's easy to overload the front end so don't spend too much money.

The sensitivity of small receivers is great but their dynamic range
isn't much good.

The particular result is that you hear noise from many other
frequencies on the frequency you want to hear, as every loud station
serves as a mixer in overload.
--
Ron Hardin
rhha...@mindspring.com

Diverd4777

Jan 21, 2004, 7:08:39 AM1/21/04
In article <400E2F...@mindspring.com>, Ron Hardin <rhha...@mindspring.com>
writes:

>It's easy to overload the front end so don't spend too much money.

- But if the signal you want comes in with more antenna, then who cares !

>The sensitivity of small receivers is great but their dynamic range
>isn't much good.

- The Sony 7600 G has a Speech / Misic switch which gives you good dynamic
range w / Music

>The particular result is that you hear noise from many other
>frequencies on the frequency you want to hear, as every loud station
>serves as a mixer in overload.

- Not everywhere, and, if it bothers you, there are Several Work - Arounds for
this.

Better too much Antenna when you need it than not enough..

Dan

w_tom

Jan 21, 2004, 5:38:47 PM1/21/04
This Sony receiver has an attenuator (ATT Min to Max) to
lower signal gain - so that front end would not be overloaded.

DougSlug

Jan 21, 2004, 7:39:48 PM1/21/04
Those limitations will make it hard to improve on the AN-LP1. I can vouch
for the effectiveness of the Radio Shack random wire kit when installed
outdoors. The problem with a random wire indoors is that you will pick up a
lot of AC power hash (from appliances, light dimmers, etc.) that is really
hard to get rid of, especially at night, unless you are in an electrically
quiet building.

- Doug

"xiaNaix" <xia...@mindless.com> wrote in message

RHF

Jan 21, 2004, 8:29:24 PM1/21/04
XIANAIX,

READ: "Three Ways to Use the 'Portable Wire Antenna' (PWA)"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM-FM-Antenna/message/306

Works well with the Sony ICF-2010 and will work well with the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR too; and many other 'portable' SW Radios.

iane ~ RHF
.
.
= = = xia...@mindless.com (xiaNaix)