Sony AN-1 antenna to be mounted outside?

Marc

Sep 17, 2002, 8:12:51 AM9/17/02
Hi all,

Some 10 years ago I bought a Sony ICF 2001 D (I think in the US it;s
the 2010) with
a AN-1 active antenna. I did not use it for a long time now, but want
to start listening
to it again. I can't find the manual of the AN-1 antenna anymore.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but:
Is the AN-1 intended to be mounted outside? I have only used it
indoors...
I'm 99% sure I read in the manual that it can be mounted outside, but
I want to be
100% sure...

Cheers,
/Marc

Todd

Sep 17, 2002, 9:08:27 AM9/17/02
Marc <marc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The AN1 is designed to be mounted outside. The PC board inside the housing
is encompasssed in a silicone sealant of sorts.

Todd

RHF

Sep 17, 2002, 4:49:05 PM9/17/02
YES - The AN-1 is Designed to Use OutSide. Generally OutSide
placement is preferred, to an indoor location. OutSide and Up in the
Air is a 'Better' signal environment. Plus the AN-1 comes with
Hardware in the box for surface or pipe mounting.

You should 'consider' using a 10 foot PVC Pipe as a Mast for mounting.
Mount the AN-1's Mast Head Unit to the PVC Pipe; and then mount the
PVC Pipe to what ever. If you have plumbing breather pipes coming out
of your roof, you can use TV Antenna type pipe-to-pipe mounting
hardware. This will allow you to build-up everything on the ground.
Next put your mounting hardware in place. Then mount your Mast and
AN-1 Antenna with the least time and work on the roof. Plus this puts
your AN-1 Up in the Air 10 Feet Above the Roof.

If, you do use the PVC Pipe as a Mast: Then 'consider' using a
Stainless Steel 104 Inch Whip CB Antenna, instead of the AN-1's
collapsible 59 inch Whip Antenna. Mount the CB Whip Antenna Six
Inches down from the Top End of the PVC Pipe. Next mount the AN-1's
Mast Head Unit on the opposite side of the PVC Pipe Twelve Inches down
from the Top End of the PVC Pipe. Connect the CB Whip Antenna to the
AN-1's Mast Head Unit, using a cut to fit 14 AWG 19 Stranded Insulated
Wire.

One more thing, I have say about the two AN-1 Antennas that I have
had.
* The first AN-1 was mounted in the Attic, using a Pair of Ten Foot
Triangular Loops: one loop was positioned N-S and the other was
positioned E-W. Even with the two loops, this was really an
Omni-Directional Antenna Set-Up. I thought that in using the two
loops; it would help to reduce the noise pick-up and would allow for
both Vertical and Horizontal Polarization signal reception. I never
got around to putting a Relay in the Attic to switch between the two
loops to test for a N-S and E-W Directional Antenna signal pick-up and
nulling.
* The second AN-1 was mount on the roof, as I have described above.
* Sorry to Report that "Both" the Sony AN-1's Ceased to Operate After
about Two Years.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone else had the Problem of the AN-1 Antennas
Dying after two years when mounted In the Attic or On the Roof?
OR... Is this Simply the "Normal Life Span" of the AN-1?

~ RHF

Todd

Sep 18, 2002, 3:13:22 AM9/18/02
RHF <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message

I don't know whether you've got the same problem, but mine "died" a few
months back. Another poster said it was more than likely the FET. Without
investigating I replaced the FET, but it didn't remedy the problem.

In the end I found that the crappy RCA plug on the co-ax lead had allowed
the co-ax shield to slip down and touch the centre pin causing a short. Easy
to fix, and now as good as new.

Todd

Marc

Sep 19, 2002, 9:10:09 AM9/19/02
"Todd" <tele...@nettaxi.com> wrote in message news:<3d882...@news1.mweb.co.za>...

> RHF <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message

<cut>

> I don't know whether you've got the same problem, but mine "died" a few
> months back. Another poster said it was more than likely the FET. Without
> investigating I replaced the FET, but it didn't remedy the problem.
>
> In the end I found that the crappy RCA plug on the co-ax lead had allowed
> the co-ax shield to slip down and touch the centre pin causing a short. Easy
> to fix, and now as good as new.
>
> Todd

Hi again,

Thanks all for the tips. I will mount the AN-1 outside now that I'm sure it is
intended for that use.

Also thanks for the tip regarding the RCA plug. Something to keep in mind
when mine AN-1 'dies' somewhere in the future....

/Marc