PassPort 2006 ?

Brian Hill

Nov 19, 2005, 12:00:21ā€ÆPM11/19/05
I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

John S.

Nov 19, 2005, 12:20:41ā€ÆPM11/19/05

I noticed that last year too. That Eton continues to be the shortwave
radio advertiser in PWBR says a lot about how this hobby has shrunk.
It also makes me wonder how they can give an independent opinion about
Eton products given that most of their ad revenue comes from Eton.

Brian Hill

Nov 19, 2005, 12:24:04ā€ÆPM11/19/05

"John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote in message

I agree.

BH

David

Nov 19, 2005, 12:34:05ā€ÆPM11/19/05
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:00:21 -0600, "Brian Hill" <jonny...@jps.net>
wrote:

>I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
>the review. Gee talk about overkill.

That means they'll be giving them away at the CES this January.
Thanks for the heads-up.

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Nov 19, 2005, 3:00:23ā€ÆPM11/19/05
Yes, that's a good question, isn't it? I know the Monitoring Times
reveiw of the E1, although it was postive, was nowhere near as positive
as the one in Passport.

GP

Nov 19, 2005, 8:16:45ā€ÆPM11/19/05
You know who is pulling the strings at PWBR when they give the S350 2
1/4 stars and a passports choice award...I mean who can take them
seriously when they can rate a toy radio with a editors choice stamp of
approval...

Eric F. Richards

Nov 20, 2005, 12:48:31ā€ÆAM11/20/05
"GP" <acer...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Get a clue and *read* what "Passports Choice" means -- it means one of
the reviewers bought one for their own use.

Maybe the reviewer(s) like a throwaway radio every now and then, too?
You know, the kind of radio you can afford to lose?

--
Eric F. Richards
efr...@dim.com

GP

Nov 20, 2005, 7:39:39ā€ÆAM11/20/05
6. Eric F. Richards
Nov 20, 12:48 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
From: Eric F. Richards <efri...@dim.com> - Find messages by this author

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:48:31 -0700
Subject: Re: PassPort 2006 ?
original | Report Abuse

Get a clue and *read* what "Passports Choice" means -- it means one of
the reviewers bought one for their own use.

Maybe the reviewer(s) like a throwaway radio every now and then, too?
You know, the kind of radio you can afford to lose?

Yeah whatever...Maybe you should buy some glasses and read what
passport choice really means...Its there teams personal pick or as they
put it "the la creme de la creme' of radios...The S350 is junk and at a
cost of $100 its the biggest ripoff out there for a radio...

John S.

Nov 20, 2005, 8:28:43ā€ÆAM11/20/05

I'm at a loss on that one too. But other than other S-350 radios there
isn't much to compare it too. It's easy to be rated number one when
there is only one radio mad in that class!!!

I Love LA

Nov 20, 2005, 12:31:19ā€ÆPM11/20/05

I own the S350 DL (new improved version of the S350) and find it to be
an excellent radio. I prefer it to my Sony 7600G, YB400 or my DX398.

RHF

Nov 20, 2005, 2:24:42ā€ÆPM11/20/05
FO&A,

PassPort to World Band Radio (PTWBR) 2006 - Pages 148-151
and the Grundig S350DL Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/message/3516

If you consider the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios
and there follow-on Models Eton S350DL and Tecsun BCL-3000
as very good AM/FM Radios and successors to the GE Super
Radios (Superadio) that happens to have the Shortwave Bands
as an added feature : Then it is a Great "portable' Radio for
carrying from Room to Room or out to the Backyard for the
Sound-of--FM-Music or Listening-to-AM-Talk-Radio. As a
Shortwave Radio it's a get by only. Works well as a Kids
First 'Real' Shortwave Radio.

READ - Eton S350 DL -=V=- Grundig S350 :
Audio Quality and Sound Output ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2a85176fee0976a5

* Buy it for the Room Filling Sound over the Sony ICF-SW
7600GR or other smaller 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.

READ - A Compilation of GE Superadio Posts - by RHF
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2518c853aaf62053

* Buy it because it is what many GE Superadio III Owners
wished that GE would have come out with as the GE Supe
Radio (Superadio) IV (4) an Analog Tuning AM Radio with
Digital Frequency Display; Wide and Narrow IF Filters, RF
Gain Control; External Antenna Inputs; and very good
Battery Life. - = Super 'portable' AM/FM Radio = -

READ - Grundig S350 {Tecsun BCL-2000} and Eton S350DL
{Tecsun BCL-3000} Radios - Whats In A Name ? ? ? ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4548471faa051c0f

NOTE - Many Broadcast Program Listeners (BCLs) that were
'considering' the GE Superadio III, the CCRadioPlus+, the
Grundig Yacht Boy 300PE and 400PE, and other 'portable'
AM-FM-Shortwave (SW) World Band Radios have bought
the Grundig S350 Super Radio and Enjoy this Radio for
Broadcast Program Listening (BCL).

READ - Grundig S350 Radio - FM Tuning and Sound
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/5a68ffd40cfbb3de

All are Welcome and Invited to "JOIN" the Grundig S350
{Tecsun BCL-2000} and Eton S350DL {Tecsun BCL-3000}
Super Radio Group at YAHOO !

yes i love my grundig s350 / tecsun bcl-2000 super radios ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

Somebody Somewhere

Nov 20, 2005, 3:39:49ā€ÆPM11/20/05

Yeah, you'd think PWBR would be embarrased by all those Eton ads, but
as far as the S350DL goes, I own one and am quite pleased with it.
Granted, it's not an SW DX machine, but I find I enjoy the analog
tuning and the absence of all those noisy digital PLL circuits, and the
batteries apparently last forever. The audio is great and the radio is
very sensitive on MW and FM. Even with the images and spurious signals,
I still like the "feel" of the radio.

Michael Lawson

Nov 21, 2005, 10:37:07ā€ÆAM11/21/05

"Brian Hill" <jonny...@jps.net> wrote in message

They had no problem ripping the S350 a new one
for shortwave performance. About the only good
thing they said about it was that it had good sound.

--Mike L.

John S.

Nov 21, 2005, 11:55:37ā€ÆAM11/21/05

Designating the 350 Editors Choice isn't exactly comparable to having a
new hole ripped in ones posterior.

Telamon

Nov 21, 2005, 3:12:53ā€ÆPM11/21/05
"Somebody Somewhere" <YCTH...@aol.com> wrote:

I would think they would be pleased with the advertising revenue it
generated. I agree the number of ads displaying the same information
seemed excessive. If I was Eton I would have varied the ads more and
used that space to give more information about their radios. The ads
were very repetitive.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

Nov 21, 2005, 7:11:59ā€ÆPM11/21/05
Telamon - No Matter Where You Look - There They Are ~ RHF

Joe Analssandrini

Nov 21, 2005, 9:08:20ā€ÆPM11/21/05
Years ago many shortwave radio companies and dealers advertised in
Passport. Sadly, this is no longer the case and I really don't know
why. Where is AOR's ad? Where are Sony's ads (yeah, right!)? Why
doesn't Degen/Kaito advertise? It's also a shame that the distributors
which do advertise (Universal being a notable exception) just run the
"co-op" Eton ads.

I am glad that Eton sees fit to advertise in Passport but I too wish
the ads were less repetitive (and more informative). At least those ads
don't cause Passport to lose its focus; they don't give Eton radios
"glowing" reviews where they don't deserve one.

I have found, over the years, that Passport's reviews are fair,
comprehensive, and ACCURATE. In my opinion the yearly Passport is worth
every penny they charge.

Best,

Joe

Telamon

Nov 22, 2005, 1:48:26ā€ÆPM11/22/05
In article <1132618318.9...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Telamon - No Matter Where You Look - There They Are ~ RHF

You can just about fold the corner of all the ads to mark the sections
of the book.

I think they should consider just publishing the blue pages every
quarter year to keep it current. I wonder if they have ever consider
that?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

dxAce

Nov 22, 2005, 1:58:16ā€ÆPM11/22/05

Telamon wrote:

Something similar to that was done in pre PWBR days. It was called Radio
Database International, the predecessor to PWBR.

That was 20 years or so ago.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Telamon

Nov 22, 2005, 1:58:42ā€ÆPM11/22/05
"Joe Analssandrini" <analssa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Years ago many shortwave radio companies and dealers advertised in
> Passport. Sadly, this is no longer the case and I really don't know
> why. Where is AOR's ad? Where are Sony's ads (yeah, right!)? Why
> doesn't Degen/Kaito advertise? It's also a shame that the
> distributors which do advertise (Universal being a notable exception)
> just run the "co-op" Eton ads.

AOR is still selling the 7030+ in the USA (and elsewhere) so I'm
surprised they don't have an ad in Passport. Maybe the Universal ads
were enough exposure for them.

> I am glad that Eton sees fit to advertise in Passport but I too wish
> the ads were less repetitive (and more informative). At least those
> ads don't cause Passport to lose its focus; they don't give Eton
> radios "glowing" reviews where they don't deserve one.
>
> I have found, over the years, that Passport's reviews are fair,
> comprehensive, and ACCURATE. In my opinion the yearly Passport is
> worth every penny they charge.

I also find the equipment reviews valuable. I think most people would be
of the same opinion. Since they cover the spectrum of equipment people
can read through that section and get a sense of what they want to buy
and so attain a level of performance.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

junius

Nov 22, 2005, 2:33:41ā€ÆPM11/22/05

Over the years, I, too, have generally found PWBR's equipment reviews
to be quite useful. I've made some fairly decent purchases based on
the insight provided by Passport reviews.

As for the Eton, the ad saturation in PWBR seems hardly surprising,
given the degree to which this company shells out overall in
advertising. It seems like I'm regularly coming across their full page
ads in a variety of periodicals: Foreign Affairs, Smithsonian,
Atlantic Monthly, etc.

junius

SeeingEyeDog

Nov 22, 2005, 6:57:22ā€ÆPM11/22/05

"I Love LA" <ILo...@yahoo.com> wrote >

> I own the S350 DL (new improved version of the S350) and find it to be
> an excellent radio. I prefer it to my Sony 7600G, YB400 or my DX398.

How much does Eton pay?

SeeingEyeDog

Nov 22, 2005, 6:59:22ā€ÆPM11/22/05

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Telamon - No Matter Where You Look - There They Are ~ RHF
> .

Reminds me of the Slogans repeated over and over in Pyongyang.
Eventually your brainwashed into buying the whole egg-roll.

rea...@america.com

Nov 22, 2005, 10:16:16ā€ÆPM11/22/05

Saw an Eton ad in the Los Angeles Times yesterday. It showed their
newest crank-up powered radio charging a cell phone & touted it's
usefulness in an emergency. It was a full-page ad if that gives an
indication of how much they are willing to spend on advertising.

Joe Analssandrini

Nov 22, 2005, 10:46:49ā€ÆPM11/22/05
I wonder if they'd consider spending 20% or so LESS on advertising and
putting the money saved into research to improve their portable radios.
Why, after all these years, do NONE of their small portables feature a
synchronous detection circuit and why do so many of their new models
offer single conversion when, at similar or even lower prices, other
manufacturers offer dual conversion? (In MY opinion, anyone who spends
$150.00 on an ANALOG single conversion SW radio, no matter how "good"
it supposedly sounds, is wasting money!)

Just my thoughts.

Joe

Les

Nov 23, 2005, 7:50:37ā€ÆPM11/23/05

I have bought over the years, three Hallicrafters SX-62A's and one
SX-62 each one cost a little over $150.00. Single conversion.....good
receiver, great audio, has a decent fm section, what's not to like?
YMMV

Opinions are like rear ends, many of them stink!

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.

Invader3K

Nov 23, 2005, 8:01:49ā€ÆPM11/23/05
Here is the actual, verbatim definition of "Passport's Choice" (from
the 2005 Passport to World Band Radio...I don't have the 2006 edition
yet):

"Passport's Choice. La creme de la creme. Our test team's personal
picks of the litter...models we would buy or have bought for our
personal use. Unlike star ratings, these choices are unapologetically
subjective."

Just means the radio is a personal favorite of the editors. Doesn't
mean it's better than other radios in its class, or the best model out
there.

As far as the ads, they need them to pay for the publication
(obviously). If Eton is the only company willing to pony up the cash,
so be it. I've found that the reviews seem pretty even handed and fair.
They really nitpick, IMO, and mention things that I think would bug
very few people out there, in an effort to fully disclose everything
about each model they review. So saying that they overrate Eton's
radios is a little unfair, I think.

Joe Analssandrini

Nov 24, 2005, 2:01:41ā€ÆPM11/24/05
Dear Les,

Obviously you are a collector of that model. My comment was meant for
those people who are buying a modern radio for daily use. Frankly, old
tube "boat-anchors," well-designed in their day though they may have
been, are not for most users today much as a 1959 Cadillac convertible,
"fancy" and advanced as it was then (and, even now, unbeatable in a
Fourth-of-July parade), would not be suitable for most drivers today.
And today's single-conversion radios, analog OR digital, are a waste of
money when you consider the price for good dual-conversion SW radios,
some of which even feature dual bandwidths and SSB reception. You can
select from a number of models selling for less than $100.00.

I too have an old "boat-anchor," a Lafayette Model HE-10, its
associated speaker the HE-11, and a pair of vintage crystal headphones.
I trot this out a few times a year just for old times' sake. It's nice
to see the tubes light up and to use the wonderful knobs with their
gorgeous flywheel effect (something sadly lacking on today's
receivers).

But there's absolutely no way I would ever go back to a
single-conversion receiver (with its images that even the best
single-conversion receiver cannot eliminate) nor would I go back to any
radio that does not have a synchronous detection circuit (and thus have
to suffer with selective fading distortion). If I'm not incorrect, the
Hallicrafters SX-62 models, like many radios of that time, cannot even
receive SSB and, though they may (I'm not sure) feature a crystal
calibrator, you still cannot tell exactly the frequency to which you're
tuned. And, like all analog-tuned receivers, to a greater or lesser
extent, they drift.

While, for a collector such as yourself, these limitations won't be
important, for most people today they most certainly would be. If one
is spending $150.00, a Sony ICF-SW7600GR (which features a sync
circuit) and a suitable antenna in absolute terms will run rings around
the Hallicrafters, audio quality excepted.

By the way, years ago, I always thought that Hallicrafters radios were
really good ones, right up there with Hammarlund models (though, like
everything else, "shy" of the Collinses). They were well-designed and
very rugged. In their respective classes, they were also the
best-looking SW radios on the market at that time.

Best,

Joe

Michael Lawson

Nov 28, 2005, 10:03:15ā€ÆAM11/28/05

"John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote in message

Where it counts, it did. The review admitted that the 350
got the editor's choice because it had the best audio
south of a Sat 800, not because it was a single conversion
powerhouse. In the shortwave reception department,
the improvement from 2005 to 2006 was that it's a bit
more stable, but it still has images and in the modern
day and age, a $150 single conversion receiver is a bit
cheap. Hell, my DX-440 is a double conversion receiver,
and it ran for $199 (or $149 on sale) back in 1989, with
(nowadays) older technology. The fact that in the
guts of the receiver the only thing going for it are
looks and sound does not bode well. You take away
the sound, you take away the Editor's Choice designation.

--Mike L.

fani...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2015, 1:51:45ā€ÆPM1/12/15
On Saturday, 19 November 2005 09:00:21 UTC-8, Brian Hill wrote:
> I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
> the review. Gee talk about overkill.
>
> --
>
> Regards
> B.H.
>
> Brian's Basement
> http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm
>
> Brian's Radio Universe
> http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Buy real register Passport ,Visa,Driving License,ID CARDS,marriage certificates,diplomas etc for sell Guaranteed 24 hour passport,citizenship,Id cards,driver license,diplomas,degrees,certificates service available. Tourist and business visa services available to residents of all 50 states and all nationalities Worldwide. are unique producers of Authentic High Quality passports, Real Genuine Data Base Registered and unregistered Passports and other Citizenship documents.I can guarantee you a new Identity starting from a clean new genuine Birth Certificate, ID card, Drivers License,Passports, Social security card with SSN, credit files, and credit cards, school diplomas, school degrees all in an entirely new name issued and registered in the government database system.. We use high quality equipment and materials to produce authentic and counterfeit documents.All secret features of real passports are carefully duplicated for our Registered and unregistered documents.we are unique producer of quality false and Real documents.We offer only original high-quality Registered and unregistered passports, driverĀ“s licenses, ID cards, stamps, Visa, school Diplomas and other products for a number of countries like:USA, Australia, Belgium,Brazil, Canada, Italian,Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa,Spain, United Kingdom.

CONTACT OUR SUPPORTERS

To get the additional information and place the order just call or contact us via email mobile.

Watch video http://youtu.be/i7qBSjVkR-8

SKYPE US ................. fandena.fandena (Bureau Fandena)

Contact; fani...@gmail.com

ORDER ANY UNIVERSAL DOCUMENTS
PASSORTS
ID card
Social security card
Drivers License
Canada Cards
United States Cards
Student Cards
International Cards
Private Cards
Adoption Certificates
Baptism Certificates
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Divorce Certificates
Marriage Certificates
Custom Certificates
High School Diplomas
G.E.D. Diplomas
Home School Diplomas
College Degrees
University Degrees
Trade Skill Certificates
Validate SSN Number
US green cards
Counterfeit dollars/euro
Spy Products
Voice Changers
Listening Devices
Invisible Ink
DMV Record Inquiry
Background Check
Investigate Anyone

CONTACT OUR SUPPORTERS

http://www.fanidocs.blogspot.com/

To get the additional information and place the order just call or contact us via email mobile.

Watch video http://youtu.be/i7qBSjVkR-8

SKYPE US ................. fandena.fandena (Bureau Fandena)

Contact; fani...@gmail.com

Registered and unregistered passport of all countries.visas,biometric passport,degrees,drivers license,I.D cards.Training certificates M GCSE, A-levels, High School Diploma Certificates ,GMAT, MCAT, and LSAT Examination Certificates , Novelty Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates , Novelty Passports and New Identity Packages , Replicated, Real Degrees/Diplomas from most post-secondary institutions from around the world (we have over 3000 templates on file) all designed to look 100% identical to the original.Custom Printing (if we do not already have the template on file - simply email us a copy and we can make any alterations/modifications as per your directions).second, citizenship, identity, identification, documents, diplomatic,nationality, how to, where to, get, obtain, buy, purchase, make,build, a, passport, i.d,British, Honduras, UK, USA, us, u.s.,Canada, Canadian, foreign, visa, Swiss, card, ids, document

BUY REAL DOCUMENTS

our contacts include ex private investigators, consulates, high ranking government personnel's and experienced seasoned experts, we have solid connections with higher personnel's on all areas of real register documents and passport change in these Countries who are linked to the passport agency in each of these countries and with the help of their connections, all our clients demanding any citizenship document or passport from any countries are 100% assured as well as guaranteed of receiving very high quality real genuine registered documents that can never be identified as fake!! Not even an expertise custom official or machine can ever dictate the document as fake since the document is no different from Real government issued! All our Real genuine data base Registered citizenship documents have your personal data registered in the data base system and 100% machine readable. Feel free to get the additional detailed information about our services. Sincerely hope to find a way to cooperate with you. If any of these products interest you, please feel free to contact us. We will give you our
best price upon received of your detailed inquiry.