Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

1 view

Tester

Jan 2, 2007, 12:47:41 PM1/2/07
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
lamps are to the nation’s energy problem what vegetables are to its
obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
persuaded to swallow them.

But now Wal-Mart Stores, the giant discount retailer, is determined to
push them into at least 100 million homes. And its ambitions extend
even further, spurred by a sweeping commitment from its chief
executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., to reduce energy use across the country,
a move that could also improve Wal-Mart’s appeal to the more affluent
consumers the chain must win over to keep growing in the United
States.

“The environment,” Mr. Scott said, “is begging for the Wal-Mart
business model.”

It is the environmental movement’s dream: America’s biggest company,
legendary for its salesmanship and influence with suppliers,
encouraging 200 million shoppers to save energy.

For all its power in retailing, though, Wal-Mart is meeting plenty of
resistance — from light-bulb makers, competitors and consumers. To
help turn the tide, it is even reaching out to unlikely partners like
Google, Home Depot and Hollywood.
[...]

bpnjensen

Jan 2, 2007, 1:39:32 PM1/2/07
Tester wrote:
> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html
>
> The Energy Challenge
> Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

What I would much rather see, for reasons related to both astronomy and
radio, would be for people to stop turning on so many lights when they
aren't necessary anyway, and otherwise use them intelligently. There
is absolutely no need to drown either the inside or outside of one's
house with light the way some folks do. There is little evidence that
outdoor lighting prevents crime, and considerable evidence that bad
lighting can aid crime, cause dangerous glare and loss of night vision,
screw up the environment and, of course, also foul up radio
communication.

Bruce Jensen

Stephan Grossklass

Jan 2, 2007, 4:30:41 PM1/2/07
Tester schrieb:

> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

They are still relatively harmless compared to other sources though -
move away some 2 meters or so, and their effect is largely gone
(certainly when using a magnetic antenna). My parents' plasma TV
radiates quite heavily, not like the previous CRT would have been much
better - enough to make 20m unusable in any case, and that in quite a
distance. My network equipment (particularly switches) isn't that
well-behaved either, while the computer itself doesn't emit that much
actually. Thankfully dimmers have never been an issue.

BTW, we haven't been using large incandescent lightbulbs for years,
except for door lighting where they still make sense as no warmup is
needed and operating time is generally small. Otherwise a 20 watt
compact fluorescent gives a decent brightness here. Oh, and flicker
these things do not, but my cheapo desk lamp with a 20 watt conventional
fluorescent and apparently a primitive starter does (which annoys both
me and the camera's autofocus). As someone with lousy vision I'm usually
not opposed to a bit more light, which with conventional lightbulbs
could quickly mean wasting hundreds of watts just on lighting, and
that's a bit much. (Even my computer barely tops 100W, monitor
included.)

Something that does not seem to be present yet are compact fluorescents
with high CRI (color rending index), meaning a more uniform coverage of
the visible spectrum. Quite a pity.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Bytes are generally harmless - unless taken to bits.

ve3...

Jan 2, 2007, 4:39:26 PM1/2/07

bpnjensen wrote:
> Tester wrote:
> > Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html
> >
> > The Energy Challenge
> > Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

"""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
These compact fluorescent bulbs are not all bad. They use about 25% of
the current required to light an incandescent bulb and give a soft
white light wih no flicker. The main problem seems to be with the
ballasts. With about 20 fluorescent bulbs of various sizes in the house
we have had 5 blow their ballasts. Sometimes the light would just go
out, other times they emitted a particularly noxious smoke that
lingered for days. I have got to the point where I keep the sales slip
as they claim 8000 hours (Sylvania) and some have failed at 100 hrs. I
don't leave any lights on when I leave the house unless they are
incandescent.
Some of them, when new, emit terrific RF noise, while others from
the same pack are absolutely quiet. In spite of this I will continue
using them, but I have to test each one for RF noise before I put it in
place. The ballasts seem to give a warning of failure by stinking and I
have not had any burst into flame.
I don't think I am saving much money because the replacements are
expensive, but I keep hoping the manufacturers will solve their quality
control problems.

RHF

Jan 2, 2007, 4:40:18 PM1/2/07

On Jan 2, 10:39 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tester wrote:
> > Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
>
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html
>
> > The Energy Challenge

> > Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-MartWhat I would much rather see, for reasons related to both astronomy and

> radio, would be for people to stop turning on so many lights when they
> aren't necessary anyway, and otherwise use them intelligently. There
> is absolutely no need to drown either the inside or outside of one's
> house with light the way some folks do. There is little evidence that
> outdoor lighting prevents crime, and considerable evidence that bad
> lighting can aid crime, cause dangerous glare and loss of night vision,
> screw up the environment and, of course, also foul up radio
> communication.
>
> Bruce Jensen

BpnJ - I will Light a Candle for You ~ ;-) - mc&hny ~ RHF
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 2, 2007, 5:19:46 PM1/2/07
I bought something for five dollars at the Goodwill store this
afternoon.It has a circular flouresecent light and a magnafying glass
lens.The light and lens assembly/unit are mounted on an ajustable arm
which is mounted to another adjustable arm for setting the light/lens
assembly at a convenient height,the whole thing is mounted on a stand
similar to a floor lamp.Actually,it is the second such lamp I have
bought at the Goodwill over the years.The first one I gave to my sister
for her sewing room.
cuhulin

RHF

Jan 2, 2007, 5:59:35 PM1/2/07
tester, Tester. TESTER !

(OT) : Walmart Promoting Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) Bulbs
- - - In The Name Of Environmentalism

It Is Better To Light One CFL Blub - Then To Curse WalMart. ~ RHF
{ibid}

READ - The "CFL" Good For The Planet
- - - Maybe Bad For Shortwave Listening (SWL) Radio Reception
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e29e2d5d741cc67e

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/f8a9522a4d8db568

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/342cc41080a10f60

- - - More about Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) and
the Power Smart Compact Fluorescent Lighting Program
http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm
* CFLs a Bright Way to Save Time, Energy and Money !
http://medfordcan.home.comcast.net/Myths.html
* Energy Star - Look for the ENERGY STAR Symbol
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls
* Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
-about- Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL)
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_compact.htm
* Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)
CFLs a Bright Way to Save Money ?
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/compact_fluorescent_faq.htm

WIKIPEDIA - Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
-or- Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb
-aka- Energy Saving Light Bulb

SO -IF- WALMART'S FOR IT - IT'S A BAD THING ! ? ! ? ! ?

Hence - Energy Conservation {Saving Watts} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Reduced Foreign Oil Consumtion {Electric Power Plants} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Reduced World-Wide Pollution {Fossil Fuel Usage} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Better Quailty of Home Lighting {Natual Full Spectrum} Is Bad.
- - - Casue Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

How Many Lightbulbs Does it Take to Change the World ?
http://www.gadgetopia.com/post/5498
The Answer is simple "One" (1) .
We tend to slam Wal-Mart when we think they're evil,
so we should probably pat them on the back when they
do something good. And this is very good,
- - - Because Incandescent Light Bulbs are Pure Evil ! {Remember}

Wal-Mart Aims To Sell 100 Million Compact Fluorescents In One Year
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/walmart_to_sell.php
- - - Can the Tree-Huggers be wrong ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Wal-Mart's Bright Idea - The from "The Motley Fool"
http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2006/09/06/walmarts-bright-idea.aspx

What WalMart says about the Environment {Good Business}
http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=217
* Focusing on the Environment is key to WalMarts Mission
to Improve the Quality of Life for People around the World.
* Corporate Environmental Leadership is Critical to Walmart's
Future Ability to Grow and Thrive as a Company.

SHORTWAVE - Getting back to Shortwave :
What does the BBC have to say about the Compact Fluorescent
Light (CFL) Bulb - BBC Science and Nature - "The Green Room"
A Series of Thought-Provoking Environmental Opinion pieces.

The Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb
http://www.visionengineer.com/env/energy_saving_bulbs.php
gets the "European Eco-Label" eco, Eco. ECO !

Why even the Environmental Defense Org {Fund] wants to
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=632&campaign=mts
help you "Find an Energy-Saving Light Bulb"
EDF [Org] => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Defense

As for me - I say :
"What's Good For General BullMoose - Is Good For The USA !"
[ In Lil Abner speak => http://www.lil-abner.com/other.html ]
- - - Today we can all say :
"What's Good For WalMart - Is Good For The USA !"

this is 'rhf' and yes i said it ~ RHF
.
.
. .

= = = On Jan 2, 9:47 am, Tester <t...@test.org> wrote:
> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html
>
> The Energy Challenge
> Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart
>
> While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
> long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
> lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
> obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
> persuaded to swallow them.
>
> But now Wal-Mart Stores, the giant discount retailer, is determined to
> push them into at least 100 million homes. And its ambitions extend
> even further, spurred by a sweeping commitment from its chief
> executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., to reduce energy use across the country,
> a move that could also improve Wal-Mart's appeal to the more affluent
> consumers the chain must win over to keep growing in the United
> States.
>
> "The environment," Mr. Scott said, "is begging for the Wal-Mart
> business model."
>
> It is the environmental movement's dream: America's biggest company,
> legendary for its salesmanship and influence with suppliers,
> encouraging 200 million shoppers to save energy.
>
> For all its power in retailing, though, Wal-Mart is meeting plenty of

> resistance - from light-bulb makers, competitors and consumers. To

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 2, 2007, 7:29:20 PM1/2/07
But,but,but,and this is a big BUT,,,, in the good old summertime,will
the bugs be attracted to those new fangled light bulbs like they are to
the good old fashioned incadescent light bulbs? To heck with those new
fangled light bulbs,give me the good old fashioned incadescent light
bulbs any day/night! I don't care how many watts I waste,I pay for the
watts I use,they are my watts.Who would I be saving those new fangled
watts in new fangled light bulbs for anyway?
cuhulin,the big time wattage waster

Ron Hardin

Jan 2, 2007, 8:58:32 PM1/2/07
If you heat with resistance heating, the bulbs don't save energy in the
heating season.

Leave on all the radios, TVs, computers, lights you want : it all
heats the house watt for watt the same as the furnace.

The watts might as well do some useful work first, before they
become heat.

(In the summer, it's reversed, and you save double, the second time
being reducing the load on the air conditioning.)
--
Ron Hardin
rhha...@mindspring.com

Steve

Jan 2, 2007, 9:11:41 PM1/2/07
Happened to be in the local WalMart today, and they
are really pushing these bulbs. At $0.74, they'll sell a lot.

homepc

Jan 2, 2007, 9:14:36 PM1/2/07
What I find disturbing, is that the consumer is seldom warned about the
mercury inside the bulb, and when the bulb burns out, they just throw it
away in the regular trash.

Before I bought my compact fluorescent bulbs, I made sure I knew where I
could dispose of them safely when they were spent. As it turns out,
Canadian Tire, where I bought my bulbs, also offered to recycle them. I
wonder if Wal-Mart would follow suit.

Most of the foreign made junk ( electronics in particular ) that Wal-Mart
peddles, fill up our land fill sites with toxic time bombs faster than we
realize.

"Tester" <te...@test.org> wrote in message

> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html
>
> The Energy Challenge
> Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart
>
> While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
> long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
> lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
> obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
> persuaded to swallow them.
>
> But now Wal-Mart Stores, the giant discount retailer, is determined to
> push them into at least 100 million homes. And its ambitions extend
> even further, spurred by a sweeping commitment from its chief
> executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., to reduce energy use across the country,
> a move that could also improve Wal-Mart's appeal to the more affluent
> consumers the chain must win over to keep growing in the United
> States.
>
> "The environment," Mr. Scott said, "is begging for the Wal-Mart
> business model."
>
> It is the environmental movement's dream: America's biggest company,
> legendary for its salesmanship and influence with suppliers,
> encouraging 200 million shoppers to save energy.
>
> For all its power in retailing, though, Wal-Mart is meeting plenty of

> resistance - from light-bulb makers, competitors and consumers. To

Telamon

Jan 2, 2007, 9:49:54 PM1/2/07
In article <pkEmh.22560$9e....@newsfe20.lga>,
"homepc" <wie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I've seen these bulbs and they are very cheaply made. No big surprise
here. I don't expect them to last though and it'd doubtful they meet
safety standards.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

m II

Jan 2, 2007, 10:57:35 PM1/2/07
ve3... wrote:

> I don't think I am saving much money because the replacements are
> expensive, but I keep hoping the manufacturers will solve their quality
> control problems.

If people keep buying them despite the high failure rate, they have NO
reason to make them better. I don't imagine that the majority of users
keep their sales slips in order to get replacements.

mike

John Smith I

Jan 3, 2007, 12:56:13 AM1/3/07
Tester wrote:

Don't know about the walmart bulbs, but a few months ago I changed ALL
the bulbs in the house to fluorescent.

I checked 'em with a AC amp meter, they do as they say, consume 23 Watts
per 100W 'rated' unit.

I don't know about them being equal to 100W incandescents, but my
electric bill DID DROP ...

I turn out the lights before listening to late night talk radio :)

Regards,
JS

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 3, 2007, 12:57:05 AM1/3/07
www.devilfinder.com How Light Bulbs are made

My old buddy once worked at the General Electric factory that used to be
in this city of confusion I live in.He worked in the maintanance
department.He once said those machines really kept him on his toes.
cuhulin

RHF

Jan 3, 2007, 4:19:42 AM1/3/07

On Jan 2, 6:14 pm, "homepc" <wieb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
-
- What I find disturbing, is that the consumer is seldom warned
- about the mercury inside the bulb, and when the bulb burns out,
- they just throw it away in the regular trash.
-

Home PC,

What is Mercury (HG) ?
What are the sources of Mercury emissions ?
What are the Risks ?
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_compact.htm
CFLs present an opportunity to prevent Mercury emissions from entering
the Environment because they Help-to-Reduce Emissions from Coal-Fired
Power Plants. A Coal-Fired Power Plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of
Mercury to produce Electricity required to use an Incandescent Light
Bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL with the same light output.
EPA Mercury News & Info => http://www.epa.gov/mercury/

mercury the messager and the message is cfl ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> Before I bought my compact fluorescent bulbs, I made sure I knew where I
> could dispose of them safely when they were spent. As it turns out,
> Canadian Tire, where I bought my bulbs, also offered to recycle them. I
> wonder if Wal-Mart would follow suit.
>
> Most of the foreign made junk ( electronics in particular ) that Wal-Mart
> peddles, fill up our land fill sites with toxic time bombs faster than we
> realize.

RHF

Jan 3, 2007, 4:21:05 AM1/3/07

RH - Good Logical Ideas -and- Practical Too ~ RHF
.
.
. .

On Jan 2, 5:58 pm, Ron Hardin <rhhar...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> If you heat with resistance heating, the bulbs don't save energy in the
> heating season.
>
> Leave on all the radios, TVs, computers, lights you want : it all
> heats the house watt for watt the same as the furnace.
>
> The watts might as well do some useful work first, before they
> become heat.
>
> (In the summer, it's reversed, and you save double, the second time
> being reducing the load on the air conditioning.)
> --
> Ron Hardin

> rhhar...@mindspring.com

David

Jan 3, 2007, 8:58:19 AM1/3/07
On 3 Jan 2007 01:19:42 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>CFLs present an opportunity to prevent Mercury emissions from entering
>the Environment because they Help-to-Reduce Emissions from Coal-Fired
>Power Plants. A Coal-Fired Power Plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of
>Mercury to produce Electricity required to use an Incandescent Light
>Bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL with the same light output.
>EPA Mercury News & Info => http://www.epa.gov/mercury/
>
>mercury the messager and the message is cfl ~ RHF

Coal fired plants not only emit mercury; they also spew more
radioactive waste than nuclear plants.

Doug Smith W9WI

Jan 3, 2007, 9:15:47 AM1/3/07
Tester wrote:
> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

I bought my first CFL a few weeks after I bought this house in 1994.
The bulb in the basement stairwell burned out, and it was such a pain to
change I decided I wanted something that would take awhile to burn out.

Had to replace it last week. (yes, that's **twelve years** service!)

Since then, as each bulb has burned out, I've replaced it with a CFL.
Can't say I've had significant noise trouble. Sure wish I could say the
same for my computers!

It's hard to get past the price differential, but if you can, you'll
like 'em...

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

homepc

Jan 3, 2007, 9:48:18 AM1/3/07
Important Note: Handling and Disposal of CFL's

Compact fluorescent bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. The mercury
poses no threat while in the bulb, but if you break one be careful not to
inhale the mercury - immediately use a wet rag to clean it up and put all of
the pieces, and the rag, into a plastic bag.

Although household CFL bulbs may legally be disposed of with regular trash
(in the US), they are categorized as household hazardous waste. As long as
the waste is sent to a modern municipal landfill, the hazard to the
environment is limited. However, CFL's should not be sent to an incinerator,
which would disperse the mercury into the atmosphere.

The best solution is to save spent CFL's for a community household hazardous
waste collection, which would then send the bulbs to facilities capable of
treating, recovering or recycling them. For more information on CFL disposal
or recycling, you can contact your local municipality.

Although CFL's have these handling and disposal issues, the large energy
savings of CFL bulbs compared to incandescents is of greater overall
environmental benefit.

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 3, 2007, 11:19:39 AM1/3/07
www.devilfinder.com Radioactive Coal

The whole Universe is Radioactive.Even we ourselves are Radioactive to
some extent.There is some Lignite Radioactive Coal being mined in
Northeast Mississippi (or somewhere around that neck of the woods) for a
power plant there and there will soon be some more Lignite Radioactive
Coal Mining going on in East Mississippi in Kemper County near
Meridian.(or somewhere around that neck of the woods) What they are
going to be doing with that Lignite Radioactive Coal is turning it (the
Lignite Radioactive Coal) into liquid fuel for cars.trucks,vans,soccer
mom's suvs,and who knows what else.Some of that nasty Radioactive Coal
in China blows on over to California.Heck of a note,isn't it? California
is trying to reduce pollution and China is sending California more
pollution.
cuhulin

Stephan Grossklass

Jan 3, 2007, 11:33:57 AM1/3/07
Ron Hardin schrieb:

> (In the summer, it's reversed, and you save double, the second time
> being reducing the load on the air conditioning.)

A very good point. IIRC to get a certain amount of heating power out,
you have to invest another 100..200% of that (!) into A/C.

Stephan Grossklass

Jan 3, 2007, 11:48:21 AM1/3/07
Steve schrieb:

> Happened to be in the local WalMart today, and they
> are really pushing these bulbs. At $0.74, they'll sell a lot.

Now that's awfully cheap. I can't imagine that these are of particularly
high quality. They'll probably still outlast several incandescent bulbs
(medium lifetime ranged from 4500 to >19000 hours in a German review),
but may lose more brightness over their lifetime or endure less
switching cycles than more expensive lamps. They may still be good
enough to get people interested though. And indeed, these things must be
recycled properly when they fail, like any fluorescents.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/

After we'd tried a few models, this vacuum cleaner didn't suck -
it blew up instead.

Ma...@kb9rqz.aprs

Jan 3, 2007, 12:05:19 PM1/3/07
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:33:57 +0100, Stephan Grossklass
<sgrokla-n...@yahoo.de> wrote:

>Ron Hardin schrieb:
>
>> (In the summer, it's reversed, and you save double, the second time
>> being reducing the load on the air conditioning.)
>
>A very good point. IIRC to get a certain amount of heating power out,
>you have to invest another 100..200% of that (!) into A/C.
>
>Stephan

indeed that is what attrached me to this type of bulb in the first
place with a house that was at best rough to cool
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Frank Dresser

Jan 3, 2007, 12:20:20 PM1/3/07

"Tester" <te...@test.org> wrote in message
> Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

[snip]

I've installed a few CFs in my apartment. They do create a bit of RFI, but
they aren't too bad. The ones I have are much quieter than the computer,
the TV and nearly all the rest of the switchmode supply stuff.

My CFs are far more quiet than all the damn lamp dimmers which plague this
area.

Frank Dresser

Old Benny the SWL

Jan 3, 2007, 5:36:17 PM1/3/07

Tester wrote:

> While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
> long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
> lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
> obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
> persuaded to swallow them.

Don't forget that EVERY one of those CF's contain
one drop of MERCURY.

(yes....that Mercury, known as element HG)

So much for enviornmental care when these things
start to end up in the waste stream !!!

HA !!!!!!!

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 3, 2007, 5:59:26 PM1/3/07
We should all revert back to using candles.But not candles made from
politicians,they would stink up the place too much.
cuhulin

Telamon

Jan 3, 2007, 8:46:30 PM1/3/07
In article <459BBA87...@invalid.invalid>,

Doug Smith W9WI <w9...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Tester wrote:
> > Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.
>
> I bought my first CFL a few weeks after I bought this house in 1994.
> The bulb in the basement stairwell burned out, and it was such a pain to
> change I decided I wanted something that would take awhile to burn out.
>
> Had to replace it last week. (yes, that's **twelve years** service!)
>
> Since then, as each bulb has burned out, I've replaced it with a CFL.
> Can't say I've had significant noise trouble. Sure wish I could say the
> same for my computers!
>
> It's hard to get past the price differential, but if you can, you'll
> like 'em...

I don't think we are talking about the same bulbs. These cheap units
won't last that long. Maybe two years max.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David

Jan 3, 2007, 9:53:41 PM1/3/07

I have nothing but compact fluorescents and some are way over 5 years
old. I've changed the kitchen overheads once since 1998. It's insane
to use Edison lamps for lighting.

Telamon

Jan 3, 2007, 10:40:39 PM1/3/07
In article <ttqop2pqm3qsv2bab...@4ax.com>,
David <ric...@knac.com> wrote:

These less then a dollar bulbs have only been available the last few
months so you must have a time machine then.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

John Barnard

Jan 3, 2007, 10:53:38 PM1/3/07
homepc wrote:
> Important Note: Handling and Disposal of CFL's
>
> Compact fluorescent bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. The mercury
> poses no threat while in the bulb, but if you break one be careful not to
> inhale the mercury - immediately use a wet rag to clean it up and put all of
> the pieces, and the rag, into a plastic bag.

Powdered sulfur is extremely good at binding any elemental mercury that
might have "blobbed" over an area. But don't use a vacuum cleaner to
clean it up (unless it's rated for mercury vapour containment). Use a
brush and pan and place the remains in a thick plastic bag.

JB

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 3, 2007, 11:23:13 PM1/3/07
Back in the early 1970's,the J.C.Penny store that used to be in down
town Jackson moved to a new store about two and a half miles from
me.Then when the new Northpark mall www.visitnorthpark.com was built
in 1983 the J.C.Penny store that was near me moved to Northpark mall in
Ridgeland,just across County Line Road which is the North boundary line
between North Jackson and the suburb city of Ridgeland.

Before the J.C.Penny store which used to be near me moved to Northpark
mall,the store had a sale on a lot of thingys.I bought a little
flourescent twin tube/light at the store.I wrote the date of when I
bought the light with a ball point pen on the base of the light just
before I started using it in my bathroom.I know I didn't throw the light
away when it burned out.I was looking for it just now in my bathroom
cabinets.(it's there somewhere among all that junk in there) But I did
find the bulb thingy,it says Philips PL 9

I know the little flourescent light bulb lasted at least fourteen years
since 1983 before it finally burned out.And I always leave my bathroom
light turned on wether I am home or not.That was a durn good little
light.When I find the other part of the light assembly/unit the two
prong bulb plugs into,I will see if I can find a replacement bulb.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 4, 2007, 12:25:04 AM1/4/07
A liittle bit of history on Compact Fluorescent Lightning.
http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/electricity/fluorescent/compact.html
cuhulin

RHF

Jan 4, 2007, 1:03:30 AM1/4/07

On Jan 3, 8:19 am, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
> www.devilfinder.com Radioactive Coal
>
> The whole Universe is Radioactive.Even we ourselves are Radioactive to
> some extent.There is some Lignite Radioactive Coal being mined in
> Northeast Mississippi (or somewhere around that neck of the woods) for a
> power plant there and there will soon be some more Lignite Radioactive
> Coal Mining going on in East Mississippi in Kemper County near
> Meridian.(or somewhere around that neck of the woods) What they are
> going to be doing with that Lignite Radioactive Coal is turning it (the
> Lignite Radioactive Coal) into liquid fuel for cars.trucks,vans,soccer
> mom's suvs,and who knows what else.Some of that nasty Radioactive Coal
> in China blows on over to California.Heck of a note,isn't it?

- California is trying to reduce pollution and
- China is sending California more pollution.
- cuhulin

Cuhulin - In the next few years China will surpass the
USofA as "The Worlds" Major (#1) Polluter ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Jan 4, 2007, 1:56:24 AM1/4/07
OBtSWL,

This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.

Was processed into the CFL Bulb.

And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.

net sum equal - imho ~ RHF
.
.
. .

On Jan 3, 2:36 pm, "Old Benny the SWL" <auntkreb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tester wrote:
> > While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
> > long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
> > lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
> > obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be

> > persuaded to swallow them.Don't forget that EVERY one of those CF's contain

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 4, 2007, 2:24:19 AM1/4/07
When you was a kid,did you ever break an old mercury type of thermometer
and play with the mercury? We didn't know any better back in those days
when we were kids.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 4, 2007, 2:21:44 AM1/4/07
I found the other part of my old fluorescent light in my bathroom
cabinets.It says,PHILIPS.Adapter for PL 7 or PL 9 120 V 12 Watts Made in
U.S.A. B4 Listed UL Adapter E77629 43L2 Pat.Pending Cat # 34888

The whole light assembly is actually three seperate parts.The adapter
with the screw in base part on it slides/connects up to what I assume is
the ballast and the light bulb which plugs into the adapter makes it
three seperate parts.If I happen to see a replacement light bulb at a
local store,I will buy it and see if I can get it all working again for
my bathroom.

I have a bunch of old,old electrical thingys here.One of them is an old
light dimmer.It says on it, Mil-L-12313A Bristol Dynamics,Inc
Dimmer,Lampholder Made in Brooklyn,N.Y.120V 60 Watt
It has a red two position slide switch on the side for Dim Bright.I
think it dates back to the 1950's.I tried it out in one of my table
lamps,but it doesn't work.(maybe that's why it showed up at the Goodwill
store) If I wire brush the crud off of the screw in base,it might work.
cuhulin

Brenda Ann

Jan 4, 2007, 8:05:35 AM1/4/07

"Telamon" <telamon_s...@pacbell.net.is.invalid> wrote in message

From what I saw on Faux News last night, the less than a dollar bulbs that
Wally World is pushing are the very same ones (Philips and Sylvania branded)
that they were selling for $4 a few weeks ago.

--
Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!

homepc

Jan 4, 2007, 8:14:48 AM1/4/07
You are correct about the same amount of mercury going back into the
environment, however, the ultra cheap Wal-Mart spent bulbs will not be going
back to China!

Food for thought:

http://1url.org/go/1ia8j

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

David

Jan 4, 2007, 8:54:21 AM1/4/07
On 3 Jan 2007 22:56:24 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>OBtSWL,
>
>This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.
>
>Was processed into the CFL Bulb.
>
>And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
>of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.
>
>net sum equal - imho ~ RHF
> .
> .

Around here they don't bury the lamps. You turn them in at a HHW
facility (or at a semi-annual roundup) along with your batteries and
used chemicals and motor oil. It is illegal to put mercury in the
trash, period.

bpnjensen

Jan 4, 2007, 10:21:23 AM1/4/07
RHF wrote:
> OBtSWL,
>
> This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.
>
> Was processed into the CFL Bulb.
>
> And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
> of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.
>
> net sum equal - imho ~ RHF

Yes, but, of course, the problem is that when the mercury from bulbs is
placed back into the ground/water, it is greatly more concentrated than
when it was mined, where it was also locked up in the ore. It is the
artificial purification / concentration / juxtaposition that makes it
dangerous.

However, it is also true that most people are becoming far more careful
about they dispose of toxic materials. Here in the SF bay area, we
have fairly convenient hazardous waste centers who will accept this
stuff free at disposal time. About once every two years, I bring a
small batch of nasty material there, and in about 1 minute it is off my
hands. The material is then either reclaimed or disposed of in a palce
where it hopefully will be safe for 1,000,000,000 years.

BJ

RHF

Jan 5, 2007, 4:58:24 AM1/5/07
BpnJ,

ABOUT - Mercury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)

Organic Mercury Compounds {Methyl-Mercury} Meta-Mercury ?
http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/mno/organic-mercury-compounds.htm
IIRC - When they build a Dam {Reservoir} one of the things
that they have found that they need to do is remove all the
Trees and other Vegetation : Because most of it has some
Organic Mercury in it and as it Decays under the Water and
is Consumed by the Animals, Plants and Fish in the Water
the Organic Mercury then enters the Human Food Chain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_(water)

Scientific Facts on Mercury {Q&A}
http://www.greenfacts.org/mercury/index.htm

Mercury and its Many Forms
http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.html

While CFL Bulbs do use and consume Mercury via Electrical
Generation. Over their Rated Service Life they us less Mercury
then the same number of Incandescent Bulbs required for that
CFL's Rated Service Life period that have the same Rated Light
Output : Because they use much less energy and the production
of Energy results in the by product of Mercury in our Air and Water.

CFL Bulbs are still better for the Environment then the older
Incandescent Bulbs - imho ~ RHF
.
.
. .

= = = On Jan 4, 7:21 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> RHF wrote:
> > OBtSWL,
>
> > This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.
>
> > Was processed into the CFL Bulb.
>
> > And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
> > of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.
>

> > net sum equal - imho ~ RHFYes, but, of course, the problem is that when the mercury from bulbs is

RHF

Jan 5, 2007, 5:03:50 AM1/5/07

On Jan 4, 5:05 am, "Brenda Ann" <bren...@shinbiro.com> wrote:
> "Telamon" <telamon_spamshi...@pacbell.net.is.invalid> wrote in messagenews:telamon_spamshield-6...@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net...
>

> > In article <ttqop2pqm3qsv2babci6cb5khdu27rv...@4ax.com>,

> > David <rick...@knac.com> wrote:

> >> I have nothing but compact fluorescents and some are way over 5 years
> >> old. I've changed the kitchen overheads once since 1998. It's insane
> >> to use Edison lamps for lighting.
>
> > These less then a dollar bulbs have only been available the last few
> > months so you must have a time machine then.
>
> > -

- From what I saw on Faux News last night,
- the less than a dollar bulbs that Wally World
- is pushing are the very same ones (Philips
- and Sylvania branded) that they were selling
- for $4 a few weeks ago.

BAD - OMG !
There ought to be a Law !
Selling something for Less.
Why It Will Ruin Capitalism.

could it all be a communist plot ? ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> --
> Say no to institutionalized interference.

> Just say NO to HD/IBOC!- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

bpnjensen

Jan 5, 2007, 10:37:38 AM1/5/07
RHF wrote:
> BpnJ,
>
> ABOUT - Mercury
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)
>
> Organic Mercury Compounds {Methyl-Mercury} Meta-Mercury ?
> http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/mno/organic-mercury-compounds.htm
> IIRC - When they build a Dam {Reservoir} one of the things
> that they have found that they need to do is remove all the
> Trees and other Vegetation : Because most of it has some
> Organic Mercury in it and as it Decays under the Water and
> is Consumed by the Animals, Plants and Fish in the Water
> the Organic Mercury then enters the Human Food Chain.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_(water)
>
> Scientific Facts on Mercury {Q&A}
> http://www.greenfacts.org/mercury/index.htm
>
> Mercury and its Many Forms
> http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.html

Thanks for this.

> While CFL Bulbs do use and consume Mercury via Electrical
> Generation.

Not exactly - they contain mercury and it is part of the
light-production process. No mercury is consumed - the lifetime
starting mass is equal to the lifetime ending mass.

> Over their Rated Service Life they us less Mercury
> then the same number of Incandescent Bulbs required for that
> CFL's Rated Service Life period that have the same Rated Light
> Output : Because they use much less energy and the production
> of Energy results in the by product of Mercury in our Air and Water.

How so? How does energy consumption and production result in
signficant mercury release?

In any case, a CFL bulb or any other FL bulb concentrates mercury in a
way that few other products will nowadays. It is this concentration -
possibly within reach of a person and their skin/mouth - that presents
the problem. There may be a great deal of mercury out and about in the
environment (and it also concentrates at the top of the food chain, in
fish especially), but in minute forms and scattered as it is, it is not
likely to affect any individual if that individual is careful not to
ingest high-merc foods.

BJ

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 5, 2007, 3:55:54 PM1/5/07
I think that some stores,such as Wal Mart and the like,should let people
bring their old fluoresecent light bulbs/lights to the stores and the
stores could turn in the old bulbs/lights to a collection agency,all at
no charge to the customers.That might keep a lot of mercury out of the
landfills/water tables.Sounds like a good idea to me.
cuhulin

RHF

Jan 5, 2007, 10:42:26 PM1/5/07

On Jan 5, 7:37 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> RHF wrote:
> > BpnJ,
>
> > ABOUT - Mercury
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)
>
> > Organic Mercury Compounds {Methyl-Mercury} Meta-Mercury ?
> >http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/mno/organic-mercury-compounds.htm
> > IIRC - When they build a Dam {Reservoir} one of the things
> > that they have found that they need to do is remove all the
> > Trees and other Vegetation : Because most of it has some
> > Organic Mercury in it and as it Decays under the Water and
> > is Consumed by the Animals, Plants and Fish in the Water
> > the Organic Mercury then enters the Human Food Chain.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_(water)
>
> > Scientific Facts on Mercury {Q&A}
> >http://www.greenfacts.org/mercury/index.htm
>
> > Mercury and its Many Forms
> >http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.htmlThanks for this.

- - While CFL Bulbs do use and consume Mercury via Electrical
- - Generation.

- Not exactly - they contain mercury and it is part
- of the light-production process.

- No mercury is consumed - the lifetime starting mass
- is equal to the lifetime ending mass.

-R- Incandescent Bulbs use 3-4 times the Electrical Energy
and thus require 3-4 times the Electrical Generation -and-
When that Electricity is from a Coal-Fired Electrical Power
Generation Plants Mercury Air Pollution is a by-product.

> > Over their Rated Service Life they us less Mercury
> > then the same number of Incandescent Bulbs required for that
> > CFL's Rated Service Life period that have the same Rated Light
> > Output : Because they use much less energy and the production
> > of Energy results in the by product of Mercury in our Air and Water.

- How so? How does energy consumption and production result
- in signficant mercury release?

-R- Coal-Fired-Electrical-Power-Generation-Plants {China PRC}

> In any case, a CFL bulb or any other FL bulb concentrates mercury in a
> way that few other products will nowadays. It is this concentration -
> possibly within reach of a person and their skin/mouth - that presents
> the problem. There may be a great deal of mercury out and about in the
> environment (and it also concentrates at the top of the food chain, in
> fish especially), but in minute forms and scattered as it is, it is not
> likely to affect any individual if that individual is careful not to
> ingest high-merc foods.
>
> BJ

BpnJ - One Word ; "Coal"

Coal 'fired' Electrical Power Generation Plants are a significant
source of Mercury and Sulfur Air Pollution which results in Acid
Rain and Higher Levels of Mercury in Lakes and Streams.
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/AIRWASTE/AQ/acidrain/acidrain.htm

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/aw/air/health/acidrain.htm
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/environmentdec/2004b/acidrain817.html

The Environmental Literacy Council - Acid Rain and Mercury
http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/2.html

New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers
- Adopt Mercury and Acid Rain Action Plan
http://dep.state.ct.us/whatshap/Press/1998/mercury.htm

TVA - Acid Rain and Mercury
- Air Emissions from Coal-Fired Power Plants
http://www.tva.gov/environment/air/ontheair/acidrain.htm
EPA => http://www.epa.gov/airmarkets/cmprpt/arp05/

CHINA - The World's Newest Mega-Pollutor -Invisible Export-
A Hidden Cost of China's Growth: Mercury Migration and Acid Rain
http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=5058
Using Coal as a Source of Power - The Nation of China (PRC)
Sends Toxic Metal Around Globe; Buildup in the Great Lakes
Conveyor Belt of Bad Air
EPA & CHINA =>
http://www.epa.gov/oia/airandclimate/byregion/chinaair.html

CHINA : Pollution From Chinese Coal-Fired-Electrical Power Plants
- Casts a Global Poisonous Shadow World Wide
-The New York Times- http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13709
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40C13F739550C728DDDAF0894DE404482&n=Top%2fNews%2fScience%2fTopics%2fAcid%20Rain

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/business/worldbusiness/11chinacoal.html?ei=5088&en=e9ac1f6255a24fd8&ex=1307678400&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

One of China's lesser-known Exports is a Dangerous Brew of
Soot, Toxic Chemicals and Climate-Changing Gases from the
Smokestacks of Coal-Fired Electrical Power Generation Plants.

Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
NRDC => http://www.nrdc.org/
* Saving 2.5 Million Barrels of Oil a Day by 2015
http://www.nrdc.org/air/energy/rep/chap1.asp
* Providing America with Clean, Affordable Electricity
http://www.nrdc.org/air/energy/rep/chap2.asp
* Creating a Responsible Natural Gas Policy
http://www.nrdc.org/air/energy/rep/chap3.asp

cough, Cough. COUGH ! Coal-Fired Air Pollution is Real ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution
.
.
. .

RHF

Jan 5, 2007, 10:50:56 PM1/5/07
Cuhulin - That Is A Great Idea :

A Hazardious Waste Tax on CFLs and Batteries with
The Right-of-Return {Duty-to-Recycle} With-In-the-Store
[ Recycling-at-the-Store - Point-of-Sale-Recycling ]

Hey - It Ought To Be A Law !
- - - Write Your Congressperson -and- State Representatives too.

now that is something to think about ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Message has been deleted

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2007, 10:48:33 PM1/6/07

bpnjensen

Jan 8, 2007, 11:26:34 AM1/8/07

This idea could work very well, I think, but the methods should be
handled carefully. In lieu of that, here in the County in CA where RHF
(sometimes) and I live, there are household hazmat collection centers
for homeowners to bring their hazmat stuff free (including fluorescent
bulbs and batteries, among other things). Admittedly, this forces a
person to make a special trip to the hazmat collection center. Despite
this requirement, the system has worked well so far - Alameda County
is, overall and statistically, one of the more conscientious counties
in CA when it comes to properly disposing of bad stuff and recycling
good stuff.

I'm not sure if a point-of-sale collection center would work *better*
or not (to be fair, every hardware / department / drug / grocery store
that sells them would need to provide the service, which would probably
include collection, separation into types and haul to a *business*
hazmat waste collection center.) This system, as convenient as it
would be for the consumer, would introduce another "middle-man" into
the chain, which would likely insert some new complexity, and
possibility for irresponsibility, to the system.

Bruce Jensen

bpnjensen

Jan 8, 2007, 11:30:08 AM1/8/07
RHF wrote:
> On Jan 5, 7:37 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > RHF wrote:
> > > BpnJ,
> >
> > > ABOUT - Mercury
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)
<snips>

> BpnJ - One Word ; "Coal"

<snips>

> cough, Cough. COUGH ! Coal-Fired Air Pollution is Real ~ RHF
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution

Yes, thanks for all of this - a good reminder. Unfortunately, coal
remains plentiful, and not only China but the US and several other
nations are eyeing coal and coal-derived fossil fuels as an important
next step in energy production. It will require significantly more
costly technology to burn it cleanly, not only for reduction of mercury
and other heavy metals, but also, as you mention, to reduce acidic
emissions.

BJ

RHF

Jan 8, 2007, 5:27:14 PM1/8/07

On Jan 8, 8:30 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> RHF wrote:

> > BpnJ - One Word ; "Coal"<snips>
>
> > cough, Cough. COUGH ! Coal-Fired Air Pollution is Real ~ RHF
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollutionYes, thanks for all of this - a good reminder. Unfortunately, coal

> remains plentiful, and not only China but the US and several other
> nations are eyeing coal and coal-derived fossil fuels as an important
> next step in energy production. It will require significantly more
> costly technology to burn it cleanly, not only for reduction of mercury
> and other heavy metals, but also, as you mention, to reduce acidic
> emissions.
>
> BJ

BpnJ,

We will eventually be paying $4-$5-per-Gallon for Gas.

We can either be Paying to US Produced Coal Based Fuel
and help our own economy -or- We can be sending the
Money Over Seas and hurting ourselves. Until we have well
developed Alternative Fuel Sources with all the necessary
Infrastructures-in-Place Fossil Fuel from Imported-Foreign-Oil
-or- American-Made-Coal-Fuel are the two short term sources
that can meet-our-daily-needs for Energy-to-Run-the-Nation
and Our Economy. Coal-Based-Fuel can be 'bootstrapped'
into the existing Oil-Based-Fuel Distribution System.

Fly-the-US-Flag on the Old Wood Pile for American Energy Independence !

Yes - The Wood Pile America's First {Original} Symbol
of Home Grown Energy Independence !
- - - Burn Wood and Be Free !
- - - An American's Home Is His Castle :
When It Is Heated With All American Wood !

Five Essentials to Getting-the-Most out of your Woodpile
http://hearth.com/what/essentials.html

The Wood Fuel is the Thing - How To Prepare your Firewood Supply
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/fuelproc.htm

Heating Rural Homes - The Personal and Social Side of Wood Heating
http://www.woodheat.org/lore/thesis.htm

National Energy Foundation's "Log Pile" Project, a project that aims
to promote and aid the use of Wood as a Source of Renewable Energy
and Sustainable Heating. http://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/index.htm

Burn Clean - The Smart Use of Wood as an Independent
Renewable Energy Source. http://www.burningclean.com/
Hello - Woodburning Fireplace and Wood Stove Owners !
Make a Change and "SAVE" Money and Energy.
* How To Burn With Wood Cleanly, Efficiently, & Responsibly
* Straight Answers To Your Wood Burning Questions

God {Allah} Bless The All-American Wood Pile - Amen
[ May The Smoke From Your Chimney Be Heaven Bound. ]

i wood if i could -and- i do burn all american wood ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Jan 8, 2007, 5:53:03 PM1/8/07

On Jan 8, 8:26 am, "bpnjensen" <bpnjen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> RHF wrote:
> > Cuhulin - That Is A Great Idea :
>
> > A Hazardious Waste Tax on CFLs and Batteries with
> > The Right-of-Return {Duty-to-Recycle} With-In-the-Store
> > [ Recycling-at-the-Store - Point-of-Sale-Recycling ]
>
> > Hey - It Ought To Be A Law !
> > - - - Write Your Congressperson -and- State Representatives too.
>
> > now that is something to think about ~ RHF
> > .
> > .
> > . .
>
> > On Jan 5, 12:55 pm, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
> > > I think that some stores,such as Wal Mart and the like,should let people
> > > bring their old fluoresecent light bulbs/lights to the stores and the
> > > stores could turn in the old bulbs/lights to a collection agency,all at
> > > no charge to the customers.That might keep a lot of mercury out of the
> > > landfills/water tables.Sounds like a good idea to me.

> > > cuhulinThis idea could work very well, I think, but the methods should be

> handled carefully. In lieu of that, here in the County in CA where RHF
> (sometimes) and I live, there are household hazmat collection centers
> for homeowners to bring their hazmat stuff free (including fluorescent
> bulbs and batteries, among other things). Admittedly, this forces a
> person to make a special trip to the hazmat collection center. Despite
> this requirement, the system has worked well so far - Alameda County
> is, overall and statistically, one of the more conscientious counties
> in CA when it comes to properly disposing of bad stuff and recycling
> good stuff.
>
> I'm not sure if a point-of-sale collection center would work *better*
> or not (to be fair, every hardware / department / drug / grocery store
> that sells them would need to provide the service, which would probably
> include collection, separation into types and haul to a *business*
> hazmat waste collection center.) This system, as convenient as it
> would be for the consumer, would introduce another "middle-man" into
> the chain, which would likely insert some new complexity, and
> possibility for irresponsibility, to the system.
>
> Bruce Jensen

BpnJ - Most Stores have Daily or Weekly Garbage Pick-Up :
So Integrating Haz-Mat-Recycling at the Point-of-Sale is
one of the most Energy Friendly methods of building on the
current activities of the Consumers and their relationship
with the Stores {Their Suppliers}. ~ RHF
.
.
. .