Par EF-SWL antenna

John Beattie

Oct 16, 2004, 1:00:58 AM10/16/04
I'm looking into purchasing a PAR Ef-SWL end fed antenna as I've read
glowing reports about its noise reducing capabilities and ease of set-up.
I'd like to hear first hand from anyone who is currently using one of these
antennas. How is it working for you? What bands does it give the best
performance on? How do you have the antenna configured? Does it help reduce
RF interference any more than a well installed random wire? Are you pleased
with the antenna?

Thanks!

--

*John Beattie*
jeb...@earthlink.net

RHF

Oct 16, 2004, 7:52:15 AM10/16/04
= = = "John Beattie" <jeb...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
= = = news:<eW1cd.4942$6k2....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

JB,

READ: Par Electronics EF-SWL" End-Fed Shortwave Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/277

The Wire Antenna Element of the PAR EF-SWL Antenna is
45 Feet long. The PAR EF-SWL Antenna lends itself to
being configured as an Inverted "L" Antenna with a
15 Foot Vertical-Leg and a 30 Foot Horizontal-Arm.
PAR=> http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm

Buy a 50-100 Foot piece of Coax Cable.

Pick two 16-20 Foot "Mounting Points" to 'rig' your
Wire Antenna Element from.

At the FAR Mounting Point install a Ground Rod.

Route/Run the Coax Cable out to the NEAR Mounting Point
and along/under the Ground 'directly under' the path of
the Wire Antenna Element to the FAR Mounting Point.

Mount the Par EF-SWL's Matching Transformer 'directly'
on/to the Ground Rod. Attach the Ground Wire to the
Matching Transformer.

Route/Run the Wire Antenna Element Up and then between
the two Mounting Points and secure the wire. Attach
the Wire Antenna Element to the Matching Transformer.

Connect the Coax Cable to the Matching Transformer.

Connect the Coax Cable to your Radio/Receiver.

Enjoy Listening !
.
.
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
.

Steve

Oct 16, 2004, 11:53:46 AM10/16/04

Kachina 78

Oct 17, 2004, 3:29:58 AM10/17/04
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Par EF-SWL. I called Universal
today(Sat. Oct. 16), and was told they are out of stock. I was further told
that when they get their next shipment, there allready spoken for. Thanks, Good
DXing to you, Gary

Telamon

Oct 17, 2004, 4:04:22 AM10/17/04
In article <20041017032958...@mb-m13.aol.com>,
kach...@aol.com (Kachina 78) wrote:

Well, there is Grove
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon

Oct 17, 2004, 4:08:13 AM10/17/04
In article <20041017032958...@mb-m13.aol.com>,
kach...@aol.com (Kachina 78) wrote:

Here is the Parelectronics web site. Maybe they will sell direct and if
not that then they should be able to direct you to a distributer.

http://www.parelectronics.com/end_fedz.htm

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Steve

Oct 17, 2004, 11:30:07 AM10/17/04
According to Par Electronic's website, this antenna is made from "a
tough polyethylene jacketed genuine Flex Weave (168 strands #36 woven
copper)."

Will its consisting of 168 strands of wire help (or hurt) its
performance? Or will this simply make it more flexible and easier to
work with?

Steve

mike maghakian

Oct 18, 2004, 1:01:42 AM10/18/04
A much better deal is to the the antenna interface from the ebay seller
rfjunkie

go to auction number 5726492926

I use one and it is an outstanding deal. it is similar to the ICE model 180
and the antenna you mention but at a fraction of the cost

RHF

Oct 19, 2004, 6:38:49 AM10/19/04
= = = "mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net> wrote in message
= = = news:<v_mdnXvbk_m...@comcast.com>...
> A much better deal is to the the antenna interface
> from the ebay seller rfjunkie
>
> go to auction number 5726492926
>

> I use one and it is an outstanding deal. it is similar to
> the ICE model 180 and the antenna you mention but at a
> fraction of the cost

MM,

I would agree these SWL 'baluns' are good performers at a low cost.

Read: Two Shortwave Listener (SWL) 10:1 Baluns for Random Wire Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1523

iane ~ RHF
.
.

> "John Beattie" <jeb...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I'm looking into purchasing a PAR Ef-SWL end fed antenna as I've read
> > glowing reports about its noise reducing capabilities and ease of set-up.
> > I'd like to hear first hand from anyone who is currently using one of
> these
> > antennas. How is it working for you? What bands does it give the best
> > performance on? How do you have the antenna configured? Does it help
> reduce
> > RF interference any more than a well installed random wire? Are you
> pleased
> > with the antenna?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > *John Beattie*
> > jeb...@earthlink.net

.

RHF

Oct 19, 2004, 7:15:02 AM10/19/04
= = = sdan...@nyc.rr.com (Steve) wrote in message
= = = news:<b55fd5d5.04101...@posting.google.com>...

STEVE,

Read about "Flex Weave" a 'specialty' Wire for Antennas.

http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm

AWG #14 Antenna Wire is made-up of:
- 168 Strands of #36 Copper Wire.
- Each individual Wire Strand is coated / insulated.
- 24 Strands are 'bundled' into a Cord.
- Seven Cords are Twisted (Rope Like) into a Wire Bundle.
- Very Flexible and Strong.
- Litz Wire like RF Electrical Properties.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/litz.htm

FLEX-WEAVE-DRAWING=> http://www.radiobooks.com/products/fw.htm

iane ~ RHF
.

dxAce

Oct 19, 2004, 7:23:41 AM10/19/04

RHF wrote:

I just use good 'ol #10 pvc clad electrical wire here. Had this system up for 3
years now and no problems.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

RHF

Oct 19, 2004, 3:05:04 PM10/19/04
= = = dxAce <dx...@iservd.net> wrote in message
= = = news:<4174F93D...@iservd.net>...

DX ACE,

Yes I have used #14 AWG made of 19 Strands of Copper Wire with
15 Mils Insulation THWN-2 or THHN; it works very well and lasts
a long time (5+ years). It can be bought at Home Depot, Lowes,
ACE Hardware, ETC in 500 Foot Roles with your choice of Colors;
usually Red, Black, White, or Green. Very cost effective for
a number of Wire Antenna Projects.

~ RHF
.
.

dxAce

Oct 19, 2004, 3:15:16 PM10/19/04

RHF wrote:

Yeah, went and checked to see what I have here and it's #10 THWN-2. It does have
a tendency to lose it's outer clear shield out in the sun... It sheds... I have
a few pieces of the clear coating hanging down at this very moment.

I found a very large spool of this stuff alongside the road a few years ago...
I'm guessing it fell off a truck.

Never pass up free wire.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Kachina 78

Oct 20, 2004, 3:08:11 AM10/20/04
Telamon, Thanks for the help. I called Grove today, ordered it, and it will be
here in two days. It was the same price that Universal had it for in their
catalog. Good DXing to you. Gary,