Lafayette Radio & TV Corp

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 10:30:18 AM12/20/10
http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=734

23 channel CB Radios banned?
Why? eff it Puckett, if it was banned,,, I want it! Wouldn't you?
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 20, 2010, 11:18:59 AM12/20/10

Lafayette Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Radio
.
Lafayette Radio Electronics (LRE)
or Lafayette or Radio Lafayette,
The Brand Name and its origin
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_or_radio_lafayette_the_brand_and_its_origin.html
.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 11:23:13 AM12/20/10
Laffyet,Louisiana.Lafayette County in Indiana.

Bowling Green,,,,,, Sewing Machine! ~ Sidney Portier.

There is a Bowling Green area in New York City too.
cuhulin

Steve

Dec 20, 2010, 11:50:53 AM12/20/10

Cuhulin, do those divorcees still live next to you?

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 12:00:57 PM12/20/10
Cardwell Condenser.
http://www.cardwellcondenser.com/PAGES/history.html

and there is a Bowling Green,Kentucky and Bowling Green,Ohio,,,,
cuhulin

dave

Dec 20, 2010, 12:26:54 PM12/20/10

All named after the same guy from Virginia. Originally spelled Boling
Green. He was a real live real estate pioneer.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 12:21:55 PM12/20/10
Ohhhh, I soooooo wish my divorced wimmins still lived next door to me.I
sure do miss them.

Come on doggy, there goes the snail mail van.Lets go get our mail.
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 20, 2010, 12:51:58 PM12/20/10
On Dec 20, 8:23 am, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
> Laffyet,Louisiana.Lafayette County in Indiana.
>
> Bowling Green,,,,,, Sewing Machine! ~ Sidney Portier.

- There is a Bowling Green area in New York City too.
- cuhulin

Bowling Green 'Park Area' (New York City)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_%28New_York_City%29
.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 12:56:36 PM12/20/10
I was thinkin Bowling Green like in/on Lawn Bowling, you know what I
mean, Vern?

Amen, ~ Sidney Portia - Lilies of the Field movie.It's TCM once in a
while.
cuhulin

arthr...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 10:15:03 PM12/20/10
On Dec 20, 11:23 am, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:

Bowling Green is where King George III statue stood until 1776.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 20, 2010, 10:31:30 PM12/20/10
http://www.devilfinder.com
Names and Places Bowling Green

Bowling Green,Virginia.
Bowling Green,Missouri.
Sewing Machine!
cuhulin

dave

Dec 21, 2010, 8:31:23 AM12/21/10

Lawn Bowling during the American Revolution? Between planting 10 acres
of corn and chasing the Indians into the hills; when you've had enough
of working on your permanent house so your cabin can be available for
next summer's settlers; you go fucking lawn bowling?!?

dave

Dec 21, 2010, 8:46:45 AM12/21/10

I'm telling you the patriarch of the Green clan of old Virginia (which
included W. Virginia and Kentucky at one time) was Boling Green. The
name turns up often in historical papers.

I defy you to find any evidence that people bowled in revolutionary
Kentucky.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 11:15:53 AM12/21/10
http://www.devilfinder.com
History of Lawn Bowling

(and Sewing Machines too)

I don't think anybody around here does any Lawn Bowling.I do Lawn Mowing
when it needs it.

Show me where that lawn mower oil drain plug is!
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 11:39:41 AM12/21/10
http://www.devilfinder.com
Irish Road Bowling

I have seen it on tee vee before.You would not want to be getting in the
way!

GIVE BLOOD.PLAY RUGBY!
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 21, 2010, 12:04:40 PM12/21/10
On Dec 21, 5:31 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:

D'Oh! 'Special Dave'
The Legend of Rip Van Winkle
and Men Playing Nine-Pins . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle

"Skittles" -aka- Nine-Pin {Yard} Bowling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skittles_%28sport%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-pin_bowling#Origins
.
the old town 'bowling green'
the original field-of-dreams ;;-}} ~ RHF
.
.

RHF

Dec 21, 2010, 12:23:27 PM12/21/10

Quite a few people up here do "Bocce Ball"
in the open air . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocce_Ball

-related-to- "Bowls" -aka- Lawn Bowling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowls

Use to be a Lawn Bowling Club at Lake Merritt
in Oakland where you could see the Lawn Bowlers
dressed in their 'Whites' playing on 'The Green' :o)
http://oaklandbowls.homestead.com/
http://oaklandnorth.net/2009/09/21/game-on-lawn-bowlers-battle-at-the-lake/

The Old Town 'Bowling Green' : The Original Field-of-Dreams . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/66959d6b73f8c0b4
Nine-Pin {Yard} Bowling -wrt- "Skittles"
.
.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 12:27:39 PM12/21/10
Rip Van Winkle? Believe it or not, this part of Jackson I live in,
before it was incorporated into Jackson, was known as Van Winkle.

http://www.devilfinder.com
The oldest game in America is Stickball

http://www.50states.com/facts/miss.htm

Mississippi Choctaw Indians.
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 21, 2010, 12:39:50 PM12/21/10
On Dec 21, 5:46 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:

> cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
> >http://www.devilfinder.com
> > Names and Places Bowling Green
>
> > Bowling Green,Virginia.
> > Bowling Green,Missouri.
> > Sewing Machine!
> > cuhulin
>
> I'm telling you the patriarch of the Green clan of old Virginia (which
> included W. Virginia and Kentucky at one time) was Boling Green. The
> name turns up often in historical papers.

- I defy you to find any evidence
- that people bowled in revolutionary Kentucky.

Hello 'Special Dave' why did you think that
they perfected "Kentucky Bluegrass"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poa_pratensis
yep,,, Yep... YEP ! ! !
{-: You Got It ! :-}
-for- Lawn 'Bowling' Greens ;;-}} ~ RHF

D'Oh! 'Special Dave' - The Legend of Rip Van Winkle

and Men Playing Nine-Pins . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle

The Old Town 'Bowling Green' :

Late 18th Century Rural Distractions :
Bocce Ball & Lawn Bowling & Nine Pins
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/522d4f106707d92e

FWIW - There are a lot of Places
{Towns & Cities} called "Bowling Green"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green

the old town 'bowling green's
the original fields-of-dreams ;;-}} ~ RHF
.
.

dave

Dec 21, 2010, 12:47:31 PM12/21/10

Why would you need to change the oil in your lawnmower? If you were a
landscaper, sure, but most lawnmowers run maybe a thousand or two hours
total before they get tossed. Any modern automotive oil should last that
long.

dave

Dec 21, 2010, 1:01:13 PM12/21/10
RHF wrote:

> D'Oh! 'Special Dave'
> The Legend of Rip Van Winkle
> and Men Playing Nine-Pins . . .
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle

That was written about Dutch Americans in New York, by a Scotsman in
England, and the people bowling are an hallucination. Other than that,
you give great example.

Boling Green moved from Kentucky to Ohio to Illinois around the War of
1812. I believe he served on a jury in Sangamon County. Look him up.

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 1:06:07 PM12/21/10

You are lucky to get 400 hundred hours out of a low end Briggs and
Stratton....and thats with oil changes every 30 hours. The overhead
valve engines get maybe 800 to 1200 hours. Those have an oil pump to
take care of the valve gear. The Japanese engines are far better, you
can almost double the lifespan figures.

The oil should be changed and the engine run for a while before you
store the thing for the winter.

Me? I use a 12 ampere electric mower. No maintenance headaches. I AM
starting to reconsider my purchase of a green extension cord, however.

mike

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 2:16:37 PM12/21/10
Back around 1968 or so, I bought a new lawn mower at a Gibson's Discount
store that used to be on Ellis Ave.I paid $44.00 plus Mississippi Rip
Off! taxes for that lawn mower.It was in a cardboard box.I had to put
the handle on that lawn mower.I put oil and gas in the Briggs & Stratton
engine.I got over Thirty Years of service out of that Briggs & Stratton
lawn mower engine.The gas tank finally went kaput on that Briggs &
Stratton lawn mower engine, I put another gas tank on there.About six
years ago some B HO Butt Kissers moved into that house next door to
me, not the other house where my divorced wimmins used to live next door
to me.
The fourth time I loaned that old lawn mower to that B HO Butt
Kisser, he never brought it back to me.He said he loaned it to his
sister in another part of town.I wound up going to the Walmart store to
buy a new lawn mower, about $100.00 for that lawn mower.Of course it has
a Briggs & Stratton engine.(if it doesn't have a Briggs & Stratton
engine, I don't want it) I always change the oil every year, whether it
needs it or not.
cuhulin

dave

Dec 21, 2010, 2:27:58 PM12/21/10
m II wrote:

> The oil should be changed and the engine run for a while before you
> store the thing for the winter.
>
> Me? I use a 12 ampere electric mower. No maintenance headaches. I AM
> starting to reconsider my purchase of a green extension cord, however.
>

> mike

I have the Homelite cordless. It has a dumb charger, the only drawback.

Previously when I moved I'd buy a $50 lawnmower from the local ma and pa
fixit shop, and leave it when I moved. I never had one seize, a few of
them had some some blow-by. They all needed sharpening more than
anything else (plus scooping the wet grass out in South Texas.)

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 2:48:39 PM12/21/10
B HO Butt Kisser old country boy from Edwards,Mississippi knows all
about chainsaws, he BROKE my chainsaw!

A couple of years ago I was adding a little bit of 10 - 40 Valvoline
motor oil to my lawn mower because I didn't have any 30 WT motor oil at
the time.He said, You are putting the wrong kind of oil in that motor!
and he pointed to what it says on the engine oil cap/dipstick thingy,
Use 30 WT Oil Only.

You just Know that made that democrap B HO Butt Kisser feel real Good.

First wind that comes along is going to blow that fence down!
That wheel is going to drop in that hole!
cuhulin

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 3:19:42 PM12/21/10
On 10-12-21 12:16 PM, cuh...@webtv.net wrote:

>.I got over Thirty Years of service out of that Briggs& Stratton
> lawn mower engine.

No, you didn't. You used it for an hour a week for 20 or 30 weeks,
roughly. 30 years times 30 hours is 900 hours total.

mike

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 4:29:20 PM12/21/10
I said I got over thirty years of service from that lawn mower.I don't
lie about that.

http://www.devilfinder.com
preRevoluntionary Bowling in California

You know how California got it's name? (before you look it up on the
internet)

I didn't have to look it up on the internet, I have been knowing it for
many years.It is a fantasy name.
cuhulin

D. Peter Maus

Dec 21, 2010, 4:54:47 PM12/21/10

I'm still using a Briggs powered lawnmower my father purchased
new in 1964. I mowed every lawn in the neighborhood, at 1 hour each,
for 5 years, when I lived in New Duchesne Hills, two neighbors'
lawns at 1.5 hours each, in Hazelwood for 8, and my own, sometimes
twice a week, since new.

It's still running, still starts on the second crank, every time.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 5:13:30 PM12/21/10
Nowadays lawn mowers have those little priming bulbs on there, that
squirts some gas into the carburetor, no more old fashioned chokes to
contend with.But, those new fangled priming bulbs don't last too long.I
doubt if they will last over thirty years.

Ara, that is the way it goes.I got over thirty years of service from
that lawn mower,,,, and a naysayer says I did not.I live here, I Know I
got over thirty years of service from that lawn mower!

Yeah, all those ''experts'' out there.Mannnn,,,,,, they (''they'') are
FUNNY.
cuhulin

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 5:34:37 PM12/21/10
On 10-12-21 02:54 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

> I'm still using a Briggs powered lawnmower my father purchased new in
> 1964. I mowed every lawn in the neighborhood, at 1 hour each, for 5
> years, when I lived in New Duchesne Hills, two neighbors' lawns at 1.5
> hours each, in Hazelwood for 8, and my own, sometimes twice a week,
> since new.
>
> It's still running, still starts on the second crank, every time.

Had it been better built, it would still be on it's FIRST crank. I
didn't even know you could get rebuild parts....

mike <g>

D. Peter Maus

Dec 21, 2010, 5:39:28 PM12/21/10
On 12/21/10 16:34 , m II wrote:
> On 10-12-21 02:54 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
>

>> I'm still using a Briggs powered lawnmower my father purchased new in
>> 1964. I mowed every lawn in the neighborhood, at 1 hour each, for 5
>> years, when I lived in New Duchesne Hills, two neighbors' lawns at 1.5
>> hours each, in Hazelwood for 8, and my own, sometimes twice a week,
>> since new.
>>
>> It's still running, still starts on the second crank, every time.
>

> Had it been better built, it would still be on it's FIRST crank.

Actually, that's not true. A carburetor takes at least one crank
to begin to draw correctly.

> didn't even know you could get rebuild parts....

I've put one set of bearings in it. And carburetor membranes.
Other than that, haven't needed any.

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 6:20:29 PM12/21/10

That was meant as a joke. I KNOW you meant 'crank' as a pull on the
starting rope. I used the term as a shortening of 'crankshaft'. Not too
many people would change that.

mike

D. Peter Maus

Dec 21, 2010, 6:44:26 PM12/21/10

No, actually, I meant 'crank' as in crank. There is no starter
rope on this model. You turn it over with a fold out crank handle on
the top of the engine...where the traditional recoil starter would be.

As for changing out a crank...I've done it. Not on this model,
obviously, but I did service lawnmowers for a number of years. The
most common failure on Tecumseh engines I saw was spun bearings and
cracked crankshafts.

One of my experiments a number of years ago, was on a Murray I
picked up at a garage sale. It had a Tecumseh motor on it and it
needed a tune up and a carb kit. Took about an hour and a half to
rebuild the carb and I had it running. While doing the tune-up, I
got the bright idea to improve performance by as much as I could get
away with. Fitting new rings, balancing the crank/rod/piston
assembly, shaving the head, hand lapping the valves, porting and
polishing, and rejetting the carb, I got it to nearly double it's
full run rpm's, but it required premium fuel.

On a smooth payment, it would dance around the output shaft by
itself. And the output chute could drive a wind tunnel. It was the
only lawn mower that needed a tail rotor.

I had to advance the timing by a bit to get it to run smoothly,
and put a bigger squirrel cage fan on it to keep it cool. And I put
a port fin on the exhaust header, but it started strong, and ran
like a monster.

Until the casting let go.

I was picking aluminum out of the siding on the garage for
months. Hot oil flew 50 feet in every direction. And I never did
find the spark plug.

But, damn, for those two hours, it was something.

Never tried to punch up a Briggs, though.

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 7:03:36 PM12/21/10
On 10-12-21 04:44 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

> On a smooth payment, it would dance around the output shaft by itself.
> And the output chute could drive a wind tunnel. It was the only lawn
> mower that needed a tail rotor.

Neat. I once thought of trying to make a hovercraft using a lawnmower as
a base. Being a kid, I figured just bending the blade a bit more would
be enough. It's just as well that I never tried it, I would have wound
up missing toes. Or something.

mike

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 6:55:39 PM12/21/10
Calgary,Alberta? somewhere out in that neck of the woods? I reckon that
is over 2,000 miles Northwest of doggy's couch.He has a Crystal Ball.He
sees doggy sleeping on her end of her couch and I am sitting on my end
of doggy's couch with a plastic bowl of Kellog's Rasin Brand with milk
and banana and some mixed fruit.I always save a few spoon fulls for
doggy, but no raisins for doggy.He will be telling me what I am watching
on the OVTV channel right now.
cuhulin

John Smith

Dec 21, 2010, 7:05:30 PM12/21/10

Well, there is "Calaveras County", and the ghost town of
Calaveritas (meaning, "little skulls) in California ... they all have to
do with "skull", right?

Regards,
JS

D. Peter Maus

Dec 21, 2010, 7:10:34 PM12/21/10

After the first season of Fireball XL5, I tried to build a
jetmobile using two riding lawnmower engines and counter-rotating
ducted fans. I got it to lift, but it was too unstable to remain
off the ground. I needed to build a counter rotating gyro, but never
got the transmission down to a size that was small enough to fit
inside the bodywork.

Joe from Kokomo

Dec 21, 2010, 9:37:22 PM12/21/10
On 12/21/2010 1:06 PM, m II wrote:

> The oil should be changed and the engine run for a while before you
> store the thing for the winter.

Bzzzztttt! Wrong!

Change oil before storage? Yes!

Run it for awhile before storage? NO!!!

This just adds combustion products and water that is going to lie in the
oil all winter.

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 11:08:19 PM12/21/10
On 10-12-21 05:10 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

> After the first season of Fireball XL5, I tried to build a jetmobile
> using two riding lawnmower engines and counter-rotating ducted fans. I
> got it to lift, but it was too unstable to remain off the ground. I
> needed to build a counter rotating gyro, but never got the transmission
> down to a size that was small enough to fit inside the bodywork.

That reminds me of the song 'Fireball'. Come to think of it, there's
more than a passing resemblance of the cast of 'Team America' to that of
the XL 5.

mike

m II

Dec 21, 2010, 11:12:01 PM12/21/10

Perhaps I should have said "Turn mower over and spin the blade by hand
three thousand times. Now replace oil filler plug and curse mike for not
mentioning it first."

mike

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2010, 11:26:11 PM12/21/10
That commercial that used to be on tee vee,,, What kind of motor oil are
you using Earl?
Earl says, Motor oyl is motor oyl!

If you want a flying lawn mower, the Flymo lawn mower.No wheels.
cuhulin

D. Peter Maus

Dec 21, 2010, 11:48:21 PM12/21/10

The goal is to get fresh oil into the bearings, and on to engine
parts. Since the lubrication system is not pressurized, that is,
there is no oil pump, but rather only an oil slinger, changing the
oil, will only affect the parts that are immersed...that is the oil
slinger fingers. Fresh oil will not reach the other parts of the
engine, so the dirty oil film will remain on the machined parts all
winter, creating opportunity for combustion.

So, while you're right, running does put crap into the fresh oil,
there is no other way to coat the internals than by running the
engine to temperature. Because there is no other way to get the
slinger RPM's up sufficiently to sling the oil over the parts.

You simply can't do it by hand.