Flipping the Inverted "L" Antenna 'Back-to-Front' = Better Performance

RHF

Jan 22, 2005, 10:14:32 PM1/22/05
SG [G4UCJ],
.
For most Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) who are considering
building and using a Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna.
.
READ - Inverted "L' Antenna Reading List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/374
.
READ - The 'simple' Answer (in most cases) is the
Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1785
.
NOTE - When properly laid-out, arranged and constructed;
the Inverted "L" Antenna provides a relatively 'low noise'
"Omni-Directional" Shortwave Listener's (SWL) Antenna.
.
READ - The Inverted "L" Antenna - It's 'basic' Lay-Out
and Structure {Why It Works}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1969
.
FLIPPING - The Inverted "L" Antenna's Lay-Out 'Back-to-Front'
can be the simplist method of improving the Antenna Grounding
and incorporating a Ground Refector/Radial into the Set-Up of
the "Antenna-and-Ground" System.
.
.
HOW TO FLIP THE INVERTED "L" ANTENNA LAY-OUT :
.
1. Place the Ground Rod's 'location' at the Far-End of
the Inverted "L" Antenna's Horizontal Out (Back) Arm.
.
2. Run/Route the Coax Cable directly under the Inverted
"L" Antenna's Horizontal Out (Back) Arm. The Coax can be
on-the-ground or burried in-the-ground.
.
3. The Vertical Up-Leg of the Inverted "L" Antenna is now
far removed from the house/building.
.
4. The Wire 'End' of the Inverted "L" Antenna Horizontal
Back-Arm should be termainated at least Five Feet (5') from
the house/building.
.
.
THIS FLIPPED INVERTED "L" ANTENNA LAY-OUT HAS TWO PLUS :
.
# 1. The Feed Point of the Inverted "L" Antenna is greatly
removed for the noise sources radiating from the building.
.
# 2. The Buried Coax Cable improves the uniformity of the
ground and acts as a Reflector/Radial for the Horizontal
Wire Antenna Element.
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
.
.
* * * EXTRACTED from Shortwave-...@yahoogroups.com,
= = = "Sean (G4UCJ/G4001SWL)" <g4ucj@t...> wrote:

I'll let someone else answer the bits about balun's,
ununs etc. but you are certainly right that the atu
should be as close to the feed point as possible.
To improve your antenna system, I think the best thing
you can do given that you have a decent amount of wire
in the sky, is to work on the ground system. A single
rod really isn't doing much. You really need to have
a buried radial system and multiple rods all connected.
Improving your ground system will make a big difference
to received signals, especially on the lower bands.

There are numerous articles about and I'm sure our kind
leader will provide some more useful links if we ask
him nicely. At my old place I had 32 ground radials all
about 10m or longer (they were hidden, tucked in, bent,
twisted and generally put anywhere I could get them!).
The difference in 'before and after' tests was quite
staggering (this was with my HF vertical but applies
equally to an inverted L, a T or just a random wire).

Cheers
73 de
Sean Gilbert, G4UCJ - G4001SWL
Aylesbury, Bucks. IO91