Grundig S350 Radio "Review" by RadioIntel.Com

RHF

Dec 2, 2003, 3:48:19 AM12/2/03
FO&A,

Here is a Link to the RadioIntel.Com Review of the
Grundig S350 Radio by Russ [K3PI].
GoTo=> http://www.radiointel.com/review-GrundigS350.htm

Also on this webpage are Links to:

* Grundig North American (ETON Corp.)
http://www.grundigradio.com/
http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/Product.asp?productname=s350&function=overview
http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/productspecsheet.asp?function=specsheet&productname=s350
http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/productownersmanual.asp?function=ownersmanual&productname=s350

* eHAM Reviews of the Grundig S350 Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112
Write and Post your own Review for eHam.

* TECSUN BCL-2000
http://www.radiointel.com/preview-bcl2000p.htm
Photo Preview of an Engineering Prototype By Tao Jian

Grundig S350 "BCL Super Radio" eGroup on YAHOO !

ssp ~ RHF
= = = Shameless Self Promotion ;-)

.

.

Brian Denley

Dec 4, 2003, 10:22:00 PM12/4/03
Single conversion (ugh!), very drifty and poorly made in China. But it's
your $100.

--
Brian Denley

"RHF" <rhf-...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Kenneth

Dec 5, 2003, 9:18:54 AM12/5/03
"Brian Denley" <b.de...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<rRSzb.431238$Fm2.432154@attbi_s04>...

> Single conversion (ugh!), very drifty and poorly made in China. But it's
> your $100.

Hi Brian:I have a tecsun BCL-2000 and the new ones have this drift
problem fixed.The Tecsun is more sensitive than my ICF-2010 in
SW,better sound and better narrow filter.You can use it with an
external antenna with not problem because it have a RF gain and nice
LPF feature that work.In MW sensitivity [internal 8 inches ferrite
bar]compare [in a test] with the CCradio plus and Sony 2010 and better
by far than the dx-398 and Sat 800 MW sensitivity..It have less hiss
in the background than other digital radios that I had.The radio
include 2 RCA jacks [line out for FM stereo ]and stereo/mono switch.I
bought it for casual listenning but now is my top portable radio.Other
oppinions may vary, but this is my experience with it.

RHF

Dec 5, 2003, 3:27:22 PM12/5/03
= = = "Brian Denley" <b.de...@comcast.net>
= = = wrote in message news:<rRSzb.431238$Fm2.432154@attbi_s04>...

> Single conversion (ugh!), very drifty and poorly made in China. But it's
> your $100.

BD,

That It Is ! (My $100 ;-)

And IMHO: It was Well Spent on the Grundig S350 :o)

+ + + Plus I also bought the RED Tecsun BCL-2000
with the Tecsun/Grundig product improvements

= = = aka: 2nd Generation Grundig S350
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/message/1496

itati~ RHF
= = = Is That ALL There Is . . .
.
.

Brian Denley

Dec 5, 2003, 10:39:27 PM12/5/03
Kenneth:
You haven't said a thing about SW.

"Kenneth" <k1...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Denley

Dec 5, 2003, 10:42:03 PM12/5/03
The fact is that for a small amount more (maybe $30-40) you could have
purchased a very good SW portable with double conversion, little drift,
excellent display accuracy and a sync detector.

Jim Hackett

Dec 5, 2003, 11:52:47 PM12/5/03
Yea, but it wouldn't be as much fun!

"Brian Denley" <b.de...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Mitchell Regenbogen

Dec 6, 2003, 8:16:11 AM12/6/03
Wow! So the S350 is as good or better than the Sony 2010, Satellit 800
and DX-398! How did we all miss that???

k1...@hotmail.com (Kenneth) wrote in

Kenneth

Dec 6, 2003, 8:34:35 AM12/6/03
>You haven't said a thing about SW
Shortwave performance test: the tecsum BCL 2000 with its own
whip was extremely sensitive, more sensitive in some signals than my
Sony ICF 2010.Both with the ext ant are quite similar.Images and
overload can be controled with the LPF feature and gain control.This
radio really pulled weak signals very well.It sounded much better than
the Sony.The narrow filter don't "muffled" the audio like the sony
narrow filter did and its selectivity is good.In my oppinion the two
[wide and narrow filters] in the tecsum are well chosen.

Ken Thomas

Dec 6, 2003, 12:58:06 PM12/6/03

It may be that the 350 is more sensitive but has anyone here actually
held this radio. It exudes cheapness - it's the definition of IMHO.
I checked one out at Sharper Image and thought the knob and movement
of the knob was just sorrowful. Guess it's just a matter of opinion
but I wouldn't buy one for that reason no matter how it performed.
Checked out a little stereo system (micro shelf system) the other day
at Best Buy - made buy SONY. Absolutely beautiful and sounded great.
But pick it up and it's obvious that it's designers don't know a thing
about quality materials. How 'bout a little metal. Even coins to way
down the box insider would be good.

Unknown

Dec 6, 2003, 4:31:54 PM12/6/03
The S350 radio is really fun to play with. It's my best MW radio, I
can get CBC 1 in Calgary (1010) most nights when I'm not getting
interference from Guadalajara. It performs as well as an old AM car
radio.

FM reception is outstanding too. From Sacramento I can get KPFA
berkeley, KQED 88.5. KVMR nevada city comes in no problem. Sometimes
I can even get KZFR in Chico, a 5kw station 100 miles away! I never
have to hear another commercial as long as I live.

As for SW there are a couple of silly things. One is there are three
settings, "SW1, SW2 and SW3". Then they cram everything from
~2000-30000 khz in there. In my ideal world they would have 7-10
settings on a rotary switch, each one having as little band spread as
the AM band. This would help the drift problem a great deal. Also
the sound could be just a little brighter to hear speech on difficult
stations.

The thing takes forever to use up all the batteries. I've had the
thing maybe a year and i think I have another year to go.

The buttons are flimsy, sigh. They don't make them like they used to.
But to be fair, even my sangean ATS909 is flimsy, the main tuning knob
doesn't work right so I have to use the up/down buttons. Also the
thing reset itself all to German language and won't go back.

SW performance on the S350 is a bit less than equal to the ATS909 and
you have to keep touching the knob when it drifts off the station.
This is a pain if you get up and go to the bathroom and come back and
you've moved a kilohertz already.

It also seems like a good radio to get people who are a bit older and
are confused by a keypad with a million buttons.

Sadly, it's the logic of globalization that the thing is made in
China. I know we can afford the extra to make it in Malaysia, Korea,
even Mexico, US, Canada. Making it in China supposedly shaves a chunk
of dollars off the price here in the US, but those few dollars make a
big difference in affordability in Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin
America. Not to say I like it, but people forget sometimes about
this.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if the new S350s are less drifty, that's my
major beef with the radio. Also, why are these things $50 in China
and $100 in the US? Or I even heard $40, and you can get a red or
black color one.

aw

Brian Denley

Dec 6, 2003, 5:50:13 PM12/6/03
Ken Thomas wrote:
> It may be that the 350 is more sensitive but has anyone here actually
> held this radio. It exudes cheapness - it's the definition of IMHO.
> I checked one out at Sharper Image and thought the knob and movement
> of the knob was just sorrowful. Guess it's just a matter of opinion
> but I wouldn't buy one for that reason no matter how it performed.

For some reason this radio is continuously hyped on the net by a couple of
owners. Every credible review I have read has trashed the machine as a SW
receiver. I picked one up at a store and I was amazed at the poor quality.
It also seems to available (used) by the hundreds on Ebay, either as the
Grundig model or the under the chinese labels. Wonder why?

Brian Denley

Dec 6, 2003, 5:53:54 PM12/6/03
Jim Hackett wrote:
> Yea, but it wouldn't be as much fun!

Wanna bet?

Ken Thomas

Dec 6, 2003, 8:44:26 PM12/6/03
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:31:54 -0800, Altawaowr <> wrote:

>even my sangean ATS909 is flimsy

You're out of your mind if you think the 909 is flimsy. It's got a
quality feel to it in my opinion. I think the majority of users of
the unit would agree. As for the 350 - it feels cheap and that sucks.
Half the fun of a radio is feeling the quality of the unit. Just
holding it. Sound weird? Maybe - but I sold my Sat800 because it was
built cheaply. Paint chipping off the buttons - batt light always
flashing, pushing a button once only to find it went right past the
preset to the next.... I mean poor quality. I don't want that. Give
me metal - or wood. I'll tell you what - someone build me a wooden
case for the innards of a Sat 800 and I'll pay an S*** load of money
for it. And then I can carry it around proudly.. albeit with a hand
cart.. but you get what I mean.

Kenneth

Dec 6, 2003, 10:33:44 PM12/6/03
> > I checked one out at Sharper Image and thought the knob and movement
> > of the knob was just sorrowful. Guess it's just a matter of opinion
> > but I wouldn't buy one for that reason no matter how it performed.
>

> For some reason this radio is continuously hyped on the net by a couple of
> owners. Every credible review I have read has trashed the machine as a SW
> receiver. I picked one up at a store and I was amazed at the poor quality.
> It also seems to available (used) by the hundreds on Ebay, either as the
> Grundig model or the under the chinese labels. Wonder why?

This radio Tecsum BCL 2000 is not available at sharper Image,you are
talking about the "Grundig" S-350.The "Grundig" don't have the latest
upgrades.I had one from brockstone and returned it.An about e-bay the
only two tecsum sellers only sell new radios with the upgrades not
used.

Brian Denley

Dec 6, 2003, 11:15:58 PM12/6/03
I didn't mention Sharper Image; perhaps you meant the guy before me. Isn't
this an S-350 thread?

RHF

Dec 6, 2003, 11:46:40 PM12/6/03
BD,

Do Confuse Me With 'facts'.

* Remember... FELLINGS Are "Facts".

* * And I Feel Wonderful

* * * When I Listen to "MY" Grundig S350 [.]

jftfoi ~ RHF
.
.

= = = "Brian Denley" <b.de...@comcast.net>

starman

Dec 7, 2003, 4:21:40 AM12/7/03
Altawaowr wrote:
snipped

> As for SW there are a couple of silly things. One is there are three
> settings, "SW1, SW2 and SW3". Then they cram everything from
> ~2000-30000 khz in there. In my ideal world they would have 7-10
> settings on a rotary switch, each one having as little band spread as
> the AM band. This would help the drift problem a great deal.

More bandswitch positions would require more circuitry, such as bandpass
filters for each range. This would raise the price.

Kenneth

Dec 7, 2003, 9:50:59 AM12/7/03
Mitchell Regenbogen <mr...@panix.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9449542092C...@166.84.1.70>...

> Wow! So the S350 is as good or better than the Sony 2010, Satellit 800
> and DX-398! How did we all miss that???
Yes Mitchell the Tecsun BCL-2000 MW sensitivity [8 inches ferrite bar]
is better than the SAT 800 and DX-398 MW sensitivity an compare with
the Sony 2010,and CCradio plus in MW..Better sound than the ,sony
2010,and DX-398 [The tecsum have bass and treble separated
controls],and a better [not muffled]sounding narrow filter.Long
batteries life [better than the other three radios in this].In SW with
its own whip better than the DX-398 and compare with the Sony and Sat
800.And you can use an external antenna without big problems for SW
and MW.It have an ext ant jack for FM stereo/mono.And all this for
less than $85.00 for a new one tecsun in e-bay. I had all these radios
that I'm talking about and I did the test for myself not trusting
others "experts" oppinions or reviews.

Gary

Dec 7, 2003, 3:18:06 PM12/7/03
Mitchell Regenbogen <mr...@panix.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9449542092C...@166.84.1.70>...
> Wow! So the S350 is as good or better than the Sony 2010, Satellit 800
> and DX-398! How did we all miss that???

I have done side-by-side comparisons of the S350 with the Grundig
YB400, Satellit 800, and the CCRadio and found the following - all
tests being done with the built-in antennas:
On MW band, the S350 beat the Sat 800 and the CCRadio, and was about
equal to or only slightly better than the YB400. MW sensitivity was
better than the Sat 800 and about equal to the YB400 and the CCRadio.
However, SELECTIVITY was MUCH BETTER on the S350 than on the CCRadio;
therefore, am able to listen to 610 from San Francisco (about 200
miles from me) on the S350 but NOT on the CCRadio since the CCRadio
picks up too much interference from a closer 620 station. The narrow
bandwidth on my S350 is BETTER THAN the YB400, and BETTER THAN the 4.0
bandwidth on the Sat 800. The Sat 800 wins hands down on SELECTIVITY
when using the sync detector.

Sound is MUCH BETTER on the S350 than on the YB400.

On SW, the Satellit 800 wins with a little better sensitivity, and of
course the sync detector really helps cut out adjacent station
interference. The S350 equals or surpasses slightly the YB400 on
sensitivity, AND selectivity is also better on the S350. The weakest
signals can be heard BETTER on the S350 than on the YB400 because
there is virtually NO circuit noise on the S350.

The S350: There is NO drifting on FM with AFC turned on. Drifting on
MW is minimal. On SW, drifting can be a problem for the first 30
minutes or so, but after that, little re-tuning is necessary. Reminds
me of my Panasonic RF-2200 which I also had to re-ture from time to
time as it also drifts.

For $100US, I don't think you can come close to the performance of the
S350.

Mike W

Dec 7, 2003, 4:11:53 PM12/7/03
One thing the S350 proves. It sounds great and is sensitive for $99.00.
Why can't a radio come into the market which combines the performance of a
2010, with the sound quality of the S350. Seems like someone could design a
portable with good sound that which isn't the huge size of the Sat 800.
(maybe the last rig like that was the old Grundig Satellit 700?, never had
the chance to try one of those . . . )

"Gary" <garya...@aol.com> wrote in message

RHF

Dec 7, 2003, 10:15:29 PM12/7/03
GA,

You should post this "Review" of the Grundig S350 on eHAM.

GoTo=> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112

I am going to Post a copy on the Grundig S350 eGroup on YAHOO!

~ RHF
.
.
= = = garya...@aol.com (Gary)

RHF

Dec 7, 2003, 11:40:35 PM12/7/03
MW,

Ta. Ta. Dah TAH !

Enter the... Grundig Satellit 900 :o)
= Sometime in the early part of 2004
= = rumors, Rumors. RUMORS !
= = = Check-Out the "Grundig Satellit 900" eGroup on YAHOO !

~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Mike W" <mwo...@verizon.net>

Mitchell Regenbogen

Dec 9, 2003, 8:30:54 AM12/9/03
I have no doubt that the S350/Tecsun BCL-2000 is better than the Sat 800
on MW, considering the 800's miniscule ferrite bar. That's in fact why
I didn't buy an 800. But I don't think you can fairly compare the S350
with the 2010 on MW, since with the 2010 there is zero drift and with
the 350 there is drift, albeit slight. ANY drift is very annoying. Of
course I'll concede the 350 is an excellent value for the money and,
unlike the 2010, you can buy one new.

Gary

Dec 9, 2003, 2:10:58 PM12/9/03
Mitchell Regenbogen <mr...@panix.com> wrote in message news:<Xns944C56A122F...@166.84.1.70>...

> I have no doubt that the S350/Tecsun BCL-2000 is better than the Sat 800
> on MW, considering the 800's miniscule ferrite bar. That's in fact why
> I didn't buy an 800. But I don't think you can fairly compare the S350
> with the 2010 on MW, since with the 2010 there is zero drift and with
> the 350 there is drift, albeit slight. ANY drift is very annoying. Of
> course I'll concede the 350 is an excellent value for the money and,
> unlike the 2010, you can buy one new.

Actually the Sat 800 with the TERK MW LOOP antenna just sitting on top
of the receiver (passive, not wire to the set) beats everything else I
have on MW, including the S350 and the CCRadio. Using the TERK on the
CCRadio doesn't do the job because of poor selectivity on the CCRadio,
and the TERK with the S350 still doesn't bring it up to the Sat 800.
The Sat 800 with the TERK loop, 3 bandwidths, and selectable-sideband
sync detector is dynamite on MW dx.

Kenneth

Dec 9, 2003, 6:16:08 PM12/9/03
Mitchell Regenbogen <mr...@panix.com> wrote in message news:<Xns944C56A122F...@166.84.1.70>...

> I have no doubt that the S350/Tecsun BCL-2000 is better than the Sat 800
> on MW, considering the 800's miniscule ferrite bar. That's in fact why
> I didn't buy an 800. But I don't think you can fairly compare the S350
> with the 2010 on MW, since with the 2010 there is zero drift and with
> the 350 there is drift, albeit slight. ANY drift is very annoying. Of
> course I'll concede the 350 is an excellent value for the money and,
> unlike the 2010, you can buy one new.
Hi Mitchell:The drifting is only lightly in MW and more in the SW
band,but I agree with you that the "Grundig" S350 showed some drift in
MW. I send a e-mail to Grundig USA asking for some upgrade and the
technician there told me "this is normal and we don't have any upgrade
for it".I get a refund for the S350 and move on for a new Tecsum BCL
2000 in E-bay.This one include the drift upgrade and don't show any
problem with drifting.

RHF

Dec 9, 2003, 6:51:23 PM12/9/03
GA,

I would Agree with what you have stated here as being the "FACTS" [.]
- - - I used the Select-A-Tenna Model #541-M with the GS800M and
would state the same conclusion.

AFAIK: The GS800M's AM/MW & LW Ferrrite Rod Antenna (FRA) is
'un-tuned' an works with the built-in Pre-Amplifier.
Using a Terk, RadioShack, or Select-A-Tenna then Acts to Pre-Tune
the FRA and increase its "Q".

I currently am using the Justice AM Antenna with the GS800M
and get super results for AM/MW/BCB Radio Reception.

* "Justice Loop Antenna and GS800M -a- Match !"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/message/3613

iane ~ RHF
.
.
= = = garya...@aol.com (Gary)
= = = wrote in message news:<fc4afcdc.03120...@posting.google.com>...

.

jb...@earthlink.net

Dec 27, 2003, 9:28:16 PM12/27/03

HI, Guys,
Some of you keep talking about having gotten new Tecsun BCL-2000 units. I
am using old dinosaurian hardware and software here, so I can't just go to
Ebay and do a search to find one. I would very much appreciate if somebody
would privately email me an actual name and telephone number and email
address of a person or a company who actually sells the BCL-2000.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can provide this information. Please
email it privately to:
bre...@earthlink.net

since I have not been lurking the groups much lately.

Send replies to: bre...@earthlink.net
Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA USA Phone: 1-404-814-0768

RHF

Dec 28, 2003, 3:35:29 AM12/28/03
ALTAWAOWR,

Interesting "REVIEW" of the Grundig S350 Super Radio.

You are invited to "JOIN" the Grundig S350 Super Radio
eGroup at YAHOO and Post your Review there.
YES - The Focus is the Grundig S350 Super Radio

Also, consider posting it at eHAMs Reviews
of the Grundig S350 Radio.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112

There is a whole series of Messages om the
Grundig S350 Super Radio eGroup on YAHOO!

* 10 Reasons Why The Grundig S350 Is A Great Radio!
(And 10 Why the Grundig S350 isnt)

* Frequency Drift:
The Tecsun BCL-2000
( ( Grundig S350 ) )
- - - = V = - - -
The Panasonic RF-2600
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/message/1676

* The Grundig S350 -=V=- Grundig YB400,
GS800M and CCRadio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/message/1640

yilgr ~ RHF
.
.
= = = Altawaowr <>
= = = wrote in message news:<c3g4tvkqikriea2fl...@4ax.com>...

The Gundig S350 radio is really fun to play with. It's my best

[...]

SW performance on the Grundig S350 is a bit less than equal

to the ATS909 and you have to keep touching the knob when it
drifts off the station. This is a pain if you get up and go to
the bathroom and come back and you've moved a kilohertz already.

It also seems like a good radio to get people who are a bit
older and are confused by a keypad with a million buttons.

Sadly, it's the logic of globalization that the thing is made
in China. I know we can afford the extra to make it in Malaysia,
Korea, even Mexico, US, Canada. Making it in China supposedly
shaves a chunk of dollars off the price here in the US, but
those few dollars make a big difference in affordability in
Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America. Not to say I like
it, but people forget sometimes about this.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if the new Grundig S350s are less drifty,

that's my major beef with the radio. Also, why are these things
$50 in China and $100 in the US? Or I even heard $40, and you
can get a red or black color one.

aw

> > On 2 Dec 2003 00:48:19 -0800,
> > rhf-...@pacbell.net (RHF) wrote:
> >
> > FO&A,
> >
> > Here is a Link to the RadioIntel.Com Review of the
> > Grundig S350 Radio by Russ [K3PI].
> > GoTo=> http://www.radiointel.com/review-GrundigS350.htm
> >
> > Also on this webpage are Links to:
> >
> > * Grundig North American (ETON Corp.)
> > http://www.grundigradio.com/
> > http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/Product.asp?
> > productname=s350&function=overview
> > http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/productspecsheet.asp?
> > function=specsheet&productname=s350
> > http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/productownersmanual.asp?
> > function=ownersmanual&productname=s350
> >
> > * eHAM Reviews of the Grundig S350 Radio
> > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112
> > Write and Post your own Review for eHam.
> >

> > * TECSUN BCL-2000 (Grundig S350 Super Radio)

> > http://www.radiointel.com/preview-bcl2000p.htm
> > Photo Preview of an Engineering Prototype By Tao Jian
> >

> > Grundig S350 "BCL Super Radio" eGroup on YAHOO !
> >

> > ssp ~ RHF
> > = = = Shameless Self Promotion ;-)
> > .
> > .

> > Grundig Grundig Grundig Grundig Grundig Grundig Grundig Grundig
> > S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350
> > Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio
> > Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio
> > superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio
> > superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio

.

RHF

Jan 3, 2004, 7:03:40 PM1/3/04
FO&A,

IMHO: I think that for many reasons the Grundig S350 Super Radio
will be the "Leading BCL Radio" 'sold' in the North American Retail
Market in 2004.

$ Lower Price

! Better FM Sound

@ Better for Talk Radio

* Better AM/MW "DX-A-Bility" ?

+ Good International Shortwave Broadcast Reception

# The Right Size

% A TRUE Volks "BCL" Radio

TBL: The Grundig S350 Super Radio is: " $ ! @ * + # % " :o)

Many SWLs and BCLs that are 'considering' the GE Superadio III,
the CCRadioPlus+, the Grundig Yacht Boy 300PE and 400PE, and
other 'portable' AM-FM-Shortwave (SW) World Band Radios are
BUYING the Grundig S350 Super Radio a 'true' Volks BCL Radio.

The Grundig S350 Super Radio is 'ture' Volks-BCL-Radio !

yilgr ~ RHF
.
.

= = = rhf-...@pacbell.net
= = = (RHF) wrote in message news:<e5e13af8.03122...@posting.google.com>...

> > > S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350 S350
> > > Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio
> > > Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio Super Radio

> > > superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio
> > > superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio superadio

> > . volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks
> . bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl
> dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx . . .

RHF

Jan 18, 2004, 9:15:42 AM1/18/04
rhf-...@pacbell.net (RHF) wrote in message news:<e5e13af8.0401...@posting.google.com>...

> FO&A,
>
> IMHO: I think that for many reasons the Grundig S350 Super Radio
> will be the "Leading BCL Radio" 'sold' in the North American Retail
> Market in 2004.

> $ Lower Price
>
> ! Better FM Sound
>
> @ Better for Talk Radio
>
> * Better AM/MW "DX-A-Bility" ?
>
> + Good International Shortwave Broadcast Reception
>
> # The Right Size
>
> % A TRUE Volks "BCL" Radio
>
> TBL: The Grundig S350 Super Radio is: " $ ! @ * + # % " :o)
>
> Many SWLs and BCLs that are 'considering' the GE Superadio III,
> the CCRadioPlus+, the Grundig Yacht Boy 300PE and 400PE, and
> other 'portable' AM-FM-Shortwave (SW) World Band Radios are
> BUYING the Grundig S350 Super Radio a 'true' Volks BCL Radio.

> The Grundig S350 Super Radio is 'ture' Volks-BCL-Radio !
>

> yilgr ~ RHF
> .
> .
> = = = rhf-...@pacbell.net
> = = = (RHF) wrote in message news:<e5e13af8.03122...@posting.google.com>...
> > ALTAWAOWR,
> >
> > Interesting "REVIEW" of the Grundig S350 Super Radio.
> >
> > You are invited to "JOIN" the Grundig S350 Super Radio
> > eGroup at YAHOO and Post your Review there.
> > YES - The Focus is the Grundig S350 Super Radio
> >

> > Also, consider posting it at eHAMs Reviews
> > of the Grundig S350 Radio.
> > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112
> >

> > There is a whole series of Messages om the
> > Grundig S350 Super Radio eGroup on YAHOO!
> >
> > * 10 Reasons Why The Grundig S350 Is A Great Radio!
> > (And 10 Why the Grundig S350 isnt)
> >
> > * Frequency Drift:
> > The Tecsun BCL-2000
> > ( ( Grundig S350 ) )
> > - - - = V = - - -
> > The Panasonic RF-2600
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/message/1676

> > * The Grundig S350 -=V=- Grundig YB400,
> > GS800M and CCRadio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/message/1640

> > > . volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks volks
> > . bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl bcl
> . dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx dx
.

Tr

Mar 30, 2004, 3:49:20 AM3/30/04
On 7 Dec 2003 12:18:06 -0800, garya...@aol.com (Gary) wrote:

>I have done side-by-side comparisons of the S350 with the Grundig
>YB400, Satellit 800, and the CCRadio and found the following - all
>tests being done with the built-in antennas:

Maybe little offtopic on rec.radio.shortwave :) but how is the FM band
reception on Grundig S 350? I know that most FM DX'rs like to use
older analog FM tuners (e.g., see http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/) so has
anybody information how the S350/Tescun can manage the task of FM
DXing? It is analog too afterall and not a bad radio based what I've
read so far.

Tr

DeWayne

Mar 30, 2004, 10:19:30 AM3/30/04

"Tr" <tr...@mail.ee> wrote in message news:406931e1...@news.ut.ee...

Not OT IMO. It's kind of nice to have some radio related stuff : ) Many SW
portables have FM and we're glad of it.

DeWayne

> Tr

Joe Esposito

Mar 30, 2004, 10:45:15 AM3/30/04

I just received my S-350 a few days ago and did a side-by-side test
with the S-350 and my RF-2200.

On MW both radios are just about equal but "GYRO" antenna on the
RF-2200 is helpful.

On FM the RF2200 is significantly better. I DX a FM station 160 miles
away on 95.5 MHZ (WKYE, Johnstown, PA). I have local stations on
94.9MHZ and 96.1 MHZ.

On the S-350, I couldn't hear anything by adjacent channel
interference from the strong locals.

On the RF-2200, I can null out a stronger signal on 95.5MHZ (WPGC,
Wash DC) and hear 95.5 WKYE in Johnstown, PA. Also, if I hit the
right spot I can hear WPLJ in NYC. The RF-2200 is one of the best
portable radios for FM DX'ing.

Joe Esposito
York, PA

Grumpus

Mar 30, 2004, 3:41:10 PM3/30/04
Joe Esposito <joe...@NotSoHotmail.com> wrote in message news:<s64j60lj1mu40v9mu...@4ax.com>...

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:49:20 GMT, tr...@mail.ee (Tr) wrote:
>
> >On 7 Dec 2003 12:18:06 -0800, garya...@aol.com (Gary) wrote:
> >
> >>I have done side-by-side comparisons of the S350 with the Grundig
> >>YB400, Satellit 800, and the CCRadio and found the following - all
> >>tests being done with the built-in antennas:
> >
> >Maybe little offtopic on rec.radio.shortwave :) but how is the FM band
> >reception on Grundig S 350? I know that most FM DX'rs like to use
> >older analog FM tuners (e.g., see http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/) so has
> >anybody information how the S350/Tescun can manage the task of FM
> >DXing? It is analog too afterall and not a bad radio based what I've
> >read so far.
> >
> >Tr
>
> I just received my S-350 a few days ago and did a side-by-side test
> with the S-350 and my RF-2200.
>
> On MW both radios are just about equal but "GYRO" antenna on the
> RF-2200 is helpful.
>
> On FM the RF2200 is significantly better. I DX a FM station 160 miles
> away on 95.5 MHZ (WKYE, Johnstown, PA). I have local stations on
> 94.9MHZ and 96.1 MHZ.

Hi Joe, I have DXed 95.5 WKYE in Johnstown, PA as well, but from the
west at a distance of approximately 125 miles (south of Buffalo).
Last spring I tested the DX and fringe FM capability of my Kloss Model
88 table radio and WKYE was one of the stations I received. On 95.3 I
picked up CING out of Burlington, Ontario, at approximately 90 miles,
and on 95.7 I heard WPIG "The Big Pig" out of Olean, NY at
approximately 40 miles.

Regards,

Grumpus

Gary

Mar 30, 2004, 4:25:39 PM3/30/04
Joe Esposito <joe...@NotSoHotmail.com> wrote in message news:<s64j60lj1mu40v9mu...@4ax.com>...
> I just received my S-350 a few days ago and did a side-by-side test
> with the S-350 and my RF-2200.
>
> On MW both radios are just about equal but "GYRO" antenna on the
> RF-2200 is helpful.
>
> On FM the RF2200 is significantly better. I DX a FM station 160 miles
> away on 95.5 MHZ (WKYE, Johnstown, PA). I have local stations on
> 94.9MHZ and 96.1 MHZ.
>
> On the S-350, I couldn't hear anything by adjacent channel
> interference from the strong locals.
>
> On the RF-2200, I can null out a stronger signal on 95.5MHZ (WPGC,
> Wash DC) and hear 95.5 WKYE in Johnstown, PA. Also, if I hit the
> right spot I can hear WPLJ in NYC. The RF-2200 is one of the best
> portable radios for FM DX'ing.
>
> Joe Esposito
> York, PA

I've had the same experience. I agree that the RF-2000 is
significantly better on FM. The S350 is not an FM dx receiver. On
MW, however, it is, in my opinion, a notch above the GE Superadio as
it has much better selectivity and excellent sensitivity.

Joe Esposito

Mar 30, 2004, 4:34:01 PM3/30/04
On 30 Mar 2004 12:41:10 -0800, mwe...@netsync.net (Grumpus) wrote:

>Hi Joe, I have DXed 95.5 WKYE in Johnstown, PA as well, but from the
>west at a distance of approximately 125 miles (south of Buffalo).
>Last spring I tested the DX and fringe FM capability of my Kloss Model
>88 table radio and WKYE was one of the stations I received. On 95.3 I
>picked up CING out of Burlington, Ontario, at approximately 90 miles,
>and on 95.7 I heard WPIG "The Big Pig" out of Olean, NY at
>approximately 40 miles.
>
>Regards,
>
> Grumpus

Grumpus,

Sounds like the Kloss 88 is a good FM tabletop radio.

95.5 WKYE is a great station to DX. I was recently at a gas station
in Allentown, PA (50 miles north of Philly) listening to WKYE.

With all of the obstructions in this part of the country (mountains),
it's amazing to be able to hear the same station at the Pittsburgh
International Airport and across the state in Allentown!

Joe Esposito